International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

ponderingturtle 21st April 2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13787835)
It is a last resort against tryanny. The gun nuts are right about that.
I am in favor of reasonable controls but a total disarming of the population...no.

Political violence then is a good thing, makes Jan 6 look a lot more american. If only they had thought to bring more guns they might have succeeded.

Stacyhs 21st April 2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13788403)
Privateering was a common practice, so private citizens owned their own warships which were the most potent weapon systems of the era.

There was nothing at the time preventing someone from owning a field cannon either. I imagine many didn't for the same reason people don't own tanks or jet aircraft today, it's expensive and wildly impractical.

There were many privateers during the Revolution, but they were converted whaler and merchant ships, not top of the line warships comparable to what the Royal Navy had. They almost exclusively attacked British merchant shipping vessels in order capture goods like coffee, sugar, and other goods they could sell. So, not a good comparison.

TheGoldcountry 21st April 2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13788380)
I don't know whether to be scared or impressed by the trolls on the Right's inability to know and/or care how utterly stupid they look when they try to look "badass."

Like Tucker Carlson bemoaning the loss of masculinity?

That's the kind of thing that makes me wonder if my entire world is just an episode of "Punk'd" that never ends.

Lurch 22nd April 2022 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry (Post 13788965)
Like Tucker Carlson bemoaning the loss of masculinity?

That's the kind of thing that makes me wonder if my entire world is just an episode of "Punk'd" that never ends.

Conservatives/the Right really are a collection of cucked snowflakes. They need guns to feel manly and to ward off the panic over imaginary enemies they're told to fear. They squeal about being victimized while their privilege is still dominant. Their political 'leaders' do anything but, as they cater to a crazed base that has gotten that way in their own insane feedback loop of call and response that cannot but spiral down into dangerous lunacy, too scared in their own miserable grasping for power to extricate themselves. The Party in thrall to a disgraced, grifting sack of rotting yams, to the point of paying his legal fees when out of power and while claiming to be a billionaire, no less.

Whipped, cowering, simpering, fearful cucks, bottom to top.

SuburbanTurkey 22nd April 2022 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13788958)
There were many privateers during the Revolution, but they were converted whaler and merchant ships, not top of the line warships comparable to what the Royal Navy had. They almost exclusively attacked British merchant shipping vessels in order capture goods like coffee, sugar, and other goods they could sell. So, not a good comparison.

Sure, but there was nothing stopping someone from commissioning a warship.

People can own tanks today too. Not that many do because it's wildly expensive and impractical.

The idea that there were restrictions on ownership of these war machines in ye olden times is simply ahistorical. People back then rarely owned cannon or war ships for the same reason I don't own a single seater jet or tank, it's just too much money.

MRC_Hans 22nd April 2022 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13789262)
Sure, but there was nothing stopping someone from commissioning a warship.

People can own tanks today too. Not that many do because it's wildly expensive and impractical.

The idea that there were restrictions on ownership of these war machines in ye olden times is simply ahistorical. People back then rarely owned cannon or war ships for the same reason I don't own a single seater jet or tank, it's just too much money.

Whatever the legal possibilities of acquiring your private battleship, the original point still stands:

The potential tyrants already have the whole range of heavy hardware, whereas the armed citizens, in practice, own assorted different types of mostly relatively light hand-weapons, requiring assorted types of ammo, and assorted levels of maintenance. And most of them will have only sporadic military training.

The defense against tyranny is to build a well-functioning democracy. Period.

OK, I shall post no more on this, at least not in this thread.

Hans

JoeMorgue 22nd April 2022 07:56 AM

At one point Pepsi was the 3rd or 4th largest owner of Warships in the world.

That doesn't actually mean Pepsi had the 3rd or 4th largest Navy in the world.

Skeptic Ginger 22nd April 2022 11:15 AM

What an obvious liar MTG is on the stand.

The hearing live on CSPAN. If you miss it, the transcript is there.

She doesn't know anything about the Proud Boys. She doesn't remember saying Jan 6 was our 1776 even after she watches herself say it on a video. She doesn't recall her own Tweets and isn't sure how they got there.

The judge has to know she's lying about everything, it's so obvious. But he's probably going to go by her testimony because he has to.

The judge was appointed by the GOP Georgia governor and it looks like he's more into corporate kind of cases than anything like this. I predict he's going to decide in her favor. They aren't presenting much of a case so far except that she said a bunch of stuff about a violent attack on the Capitol. And her testimony is that she can't remember and she doesn't agree with the twisting of her words supposedly. Those words are in Tweets, her FB page and video interviews.

mgidm86 22nd April 2022 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13787835)
It is a last resort against tryanny. The gun nuts are right about that.
I am in favor of reasonable controls but a total disarming of the population...no.

Problem I have is, as an example, where were these freedom lovers on Jan 6? At the Capitol attacking freedom!

Where were these clowns when unidentified federal goons were pulling people off the streets in Oregon?

Where were those freedom fighters when Ammon Bundy was occupying federal property and shooting at the feds? Oh, wait, he WAS a freedom fighter! And now he's running for Governor!

Ya these people really care about liberty and freedom! In fact, these people are the scariest of the whole bunch.

These people are not going to protect the country from fascism because they are the fascists. These morons actually think they are the heroes. They are the ones who need their guns taken away.

**** guns and the idiots who will lie through their teeth to keep them.

smartcooky 22nd April 2022 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13789759)
Problem I have is, as an example, where were these freedom lovers on Jan 6? At the Capitol attacking freedom!

Where were these clowns when unidentified federal goons were pulling people off the streets in Oregon?

Where were those freedom fighters when Ammon Bundy was occupying federal property and shooting at the feds? Oh, wait, he WAS a freedom fighter! And now he's running for Governor!

Ya these people really care about liberty and freedom! In fact, these people are the scariest of the whole bunch.

These people are not going to protect the country from fascism because they are the fascists. These morons actually think they are the heroes. They are the ones who need their guns taken away.

**** guns and the idiots who will lie through their teeth to keep them.

Yep.

Ultra-conservatives and far right scumbags (and in that I include about half of the House and Senate Republicans) would be perfectly happy to do away with the constitution and democracy altogether and instigate a white, one-party dictatorship, so long as it was THEIR party.

This is exactly what the German people thought would be a good idea in 1933. How did that work out for them?

jimbob 22nd April 2022 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13789614)
What an obvious liar MTG is on the stand.

The hearing live on CSPAN. If you miss it, the transcript is there.

She doesn't know anything about the Proud Boys. She doesn't remember saying Jan 6 was our 1776 even after she watches herself say it on a video. She doesn't recall her own Tweets and isn't sure how they got there.

The judge has to know she's lying about everything, it's so obvious. But he's probably going to go by her testimony because he has to.

The judge was appointed by the GOP Georgia governor and it looks like he's more into corporate kind of cases than anything like this. I predict he's going to decide in her favor. They aren't presenting much of a case so far except that she said a bunch of stuff about a violent attack on the Capitol. And her testimony is that she can't remember and she doesn't agree with the twisting of her words supposedly. Those words are in Tweets, her FB page and video interviews.


https://twitter.com/hugolowell/statu...46843156144130

Quote:

Hugo Lowell
@hugolowell
Normal
1%
New: Marjorie Taylor Greene says she doesn’t recall speaking to anyone at the White House about Jan. 6 — except she recorded a video outside the West Wing days before saying: “We had a great planning session for January 6.”
5:52 PM · Apr 22, 2022·Hootsuite Inc.

Trebuchet 22nd April 2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13789783)
Yep.

Ultra-conservatives and far right scumbags (and in that I include about half of the House and Senate Republicans) would be perfectly happy to do away with the constitution and democracy altogether and instigate a white, one-party dictatorship, so long as it was THEIR party.

This is exactly what the German people thought would be a good idea in 1933. How did that work out for them?

And they lie as a first resort, like McCarthy saying he never considered asking Trump to resign after being shown a tape of him saying it.

Skeptic Ginger 22nd April 2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13789841)

And so goes the whole of her testimony.

(MTG grinning from ear to ear) "I don't recall"

She also repeats what the defense attorney should be saying that everything in the videos was cut and taken out of context. She never does say however, what the videos would show had they not been cut or taken out of context.

If asked she doesn't remember.

Her attorney is an odd one.

Skeptic Ginger 22nd April 2022 05:19 PM

NVMD, off topic.

Stacyhs 22nd April 2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13789153)
Conservatives/the Right really are a collection of cucked snowflakes. They need guns to feel manly and to ward off the panic over imaginary enemies they're told to fear. They squeal about being victimized while their privilege is still dominant. Their political 'leaders' do anything but, as they cater to a crazed base that has gotten that way in their own insane feedback loop of call and response that cannot but spiral down into dangerous lunacy, too scared in their own miserable grasping for power to extricate themselves. The Party in thrall to a disgraced, grifting sack of rotting yams, to the point of paying his legal fees when out of power and while claiming to be a billionaire, no less.

Whipped, cowering, simpering, fearful cucks, bottom to top.

Agreed.

Stacyhs 22nd April 2022 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13789262)
Sure, but there was nothing stopping someone from commissioning a warship.

People can own tanks today too. Not that many do because it's wildly expensive and impractical.

The idea that there were restrictions on ownership of these war machines in ye olden times is simply ahistorical. People back then rarely owned cannon or war ships for the same reason I don't own a single seater jet or tank, it's just too much money.

Did I say there were restrictions? I don't believe I did. The point was that the 'warships' that the American privateers were using were nowhere near the same ability as the actual warships the British government had and avoided actually attacking them.

Stacyhs 22nd April 2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13789759)
Problem I have is, as an example, where were these freedom lovers on Jan 6? At the Capitol attacking freedom!

Where were these clowns when unidentified federal goons were pulling people off the streets in Oregon?

Where were those freedom fighters when Ammon Bundy was occupying federal property and shooting at the feds? Oh, wait, he WAS a freedom fighter! And now he's running for Governor!

Ya these people really care about liberty and freedom! In fact, these people are the scariest of the whole bunch.

These people are not going to protect the country from fascism because they are the fascists. These morons actually think they are the heroes. They are the ones who need their guns taken away.

**** guns and the idiots who will lie through their teeth to keep them.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stacyhs 22nd April 2022 06:05 PM

Hopefully MTG will be a perfect example of 'give 'em enough rope to hang themselves' and 'her words will come back to bite her in the butt'.

newyorkguy 22nd April 2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13789614)
...The judge has to know she's lying about everything, it's so obvious. But he's probably going to go by her testimony because he has to...

The judge doesn't have to accept Greene's testimony. This is from a standard "Charge to the Jury:"
Quote:

When I say you must consider all of the evidence, I do not mean that you must accept all of the evidence as true or accurate. You should decide whether you believe what each witness had to say, and the importance of that testimony. In making that decision you may believe or disbelieve any witness, in whole or in part. Court Instructions
Can the people that filed the suit provide rebutting testimony? Such as video clips in which emptyg makes statements that contradict her sworn testimony before the court?

Stacyhs 22nd April 2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13789910)
The judge doesn't have to accept Greene's testimony. This is from a standard "Charge to the Jury:"

Can the people that filed the suit provide rebutting testimony? Such as video clips in which emptyg makes statements that contradict her sworn testimony before the court?

That's what they're presenting in court as evidence. This from the Jan 6 thread:

Quote:

I caught a short news snippet that said MTG could face perjury as she'd lied on the stand today. Don't know any details.

ETA: Found it. She was asked if she called Pelosi a traitor and replied that it was speculation and she wasn't going to answer that but then said, "No. No, I haven’t said that," just before the lawyer asked for “plaintiff’s Exhibit 5, please.” She suddenly looks very agitated and says, “Oh, no, wait. Hold on, now," and then obviously tries to cover by claiming she meant Pelosi has violated her oath of office by not securing the border. The lawyer then played a video of MTG at a rally clearly calling Pelosi and traitor and should be executed for treason. After the video plays, she claims she can't recall saying that.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...ee-MAGA-moment

Ladewig 22nd April 2022 06:18 PM

EmptyG spends so much time accusing Biden of having symptoms of dementia. But has no idea how choking the irony is when she grins and says “I don’t recall” after being shown actual videos of herself saying things.

GOP accusations are really confessions.

newyorkguy 22nd April 2022 06:50 PM

Greene really is a piece of trash. :(

Quote:

She was asked if she called Pelosi a traitor and replied..."No. No, I haven’t said that,"...The lawyer then played a video of MTG at a rally clearly calling Pelosi a traitor and should be executed for treason. After the video plays, she claims she can't recall saying that.
Is she so stupid that she thinks claiming "I don't remember" is a valid defense for remarks she's made that were recorded on tape?

I've been on juries several times. In one case the judge reminded us, the law recognizes that witnesses will give false testimony, especially when they have a compelling reason to lie.

Skeptic Ginger 22nd April 2022 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13789910)
The judge doesn't have to accept Greene's testimony. This is from a standard "Charge to the Jury:"

Can the people that filed the suit provide rebutting testimony? Such as video clips in which emptyg makes statements that contradict her sworn testimony before the court?

Thanks. Good reminder. And yes, the video clips were clearly incriminating.

Somehow I doubt though, that the judge is going to specifically say in his ruling that her claiming to not remember anything is not credible.

Of course if he does then perjury charges are the logical follow up. At one point she noted all this was more than a year ago. Could be used to swear she wasn't perjuring herself.

Anyway, I didn't feel the petitioner's lawyer was making a great case. What they have is a bunch of hyperbole and a little bit of possible planning.


"emptyg" I love it!

Skeptic Ginger 22nd April 2022 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13789912)
That's what they're presenting in court as evidence. This from the Jan 6 thread:


https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...ee-MAGA-moment
Quote:

...She suddenly looks very agitated and says, “Oh, no, wait...

That was revealing. She was quite quick to note, 'whoops'.

TheGoldcountry 22nd April 2022 07:25 PM

Well, "I'm not an insurrectionist, I'm a complete ******* crazy moron" is certainly plausible, I guess.

Doesn't really matter in the end, dangerous sociopath is dangerous sociopath.

LongFuzzy 22nd April 2022 11:56 PM

And yet she could remember saying everything when her defense lawyer asked her.

Stacyhs 23rd April 2022 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13789937)
That was revealing. She was quite quick to note, 'whoops'.

Did you notice the quick glance at her lawyer just before suddenly realized her 'whoops'? She knew she'd screwed up.

Armitage72 23rd April 2022 05:27 AM

"I don't recall" was one of the holy proclamations of Saint Reagan, so she's just following in his footsteps.


I realized that joke is getting dated, especially when she's more likely just following Trump's example of blatantly lying, assuming nobody will check, and denying reality when they do.

Mike! 23rd April 2022 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 13790163)
"I don't recall" was one of the holy proclamations of Saint Reagan, so she's just following in his footsteps.


I realized that joke is getting dated, especially when she's more likely just following Trump's example of blatantly lying, assuming nobody will check, and denying reality when they do.

Example? I think she's taking legal advice from him.
Next best thing to having a fool for a lawyer and all, you know.
'I say a lot of things, a whole lot of things, the best of things. I can't possibly be expected to remember all of them.', or something very much like that at least.

newyorkguy 23rd April 2022 05:43 AM

The issue is what she has said not what she remembers saying. Calling the Speaker of the House a traitor and calling for her execution. Claiming she doesn't remember saying it is no defense.

But this has also become a common tactic among Republicans. Making extreme statements and, when called to account, denying they ever said it even when video exists of them making the statement in question. They know their supporters will claim to believe them.
Quote:

  • Do you believe Greene called Pelosi a traitor and suggested she be executed? :confused:
  • MAGAChud: She said she don't remember saying that. I don't think she said it. :mad:
  • Have you seen the video of her saying it to a crowd? :confused:
  • MAGAChud: Video don't prove nothing! :mad:
  • Do you think Pelosi should be executed? :confused:
  • MAGAChud: Is she a traitor? I think traitors should be executed, damn right! :mad:


Segnosaur 23rd April 2022 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13789783)
Yep.



Ultra-conservatives and far right scumbags (and in that I include about half of the House and Senate Republicans) would be perfectly happy to do away with the constitution and democracy altogether and instigate a white, one-party dictatorship, so long as it was THEIR party.

Ummm.. why only half?

Remember, virtually all Republicans in Congress thought it was A-OK for Trump to blackmail a foreign government in order to help win the election during Trump's first impeachment. And almost all thought a violent terrorist attack on the capitol building wasn't worth impeaching Trump over either.

Sounds to me like the number of Republican congress-critters who are happy to do away with democracy is closer to 100% rather than half

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

gnome 23rd April 2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 13790173)
The issue is what she has said not what she remembers saying. Calling the Speaker of the House a traitor and calling for her execution. Claiming she doesn't remember saying it is no defense.

But this has also become a common tactic among Republicans. Making extreme statements and, when called to account, denying they ever said it even when video exists of them making the statement in question. They know their supporters will claim to believe them.

Nobody believes it. Her supporters know she said it, they LIKE that she said it. They know she has to pretend not to have said it. Just how the game is played. For now.

bruto 23rd April 2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 13790265)
Nobody believes it. Her supporters know she said it, they LIKE that she said it. They know she has to pretend not to have said it. Just how the game is played. For now.

Sure, but I certainly hope there's a little difference between that and what you say in court. " Got to tell the truth in the booth, good people! '

smartcooky 23rd April 2022 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 13790163)
"I don't recall" was one of the holy proclamations of Saint Reagan, so she's just following in his footsteps.


I realized that joke is getting dated, especially when she's more likely just following Trump's example of blatantly lying, assuming nobody will check, and denying reality when they do.

Indeed, its even true in fiction!

"I have no recollection of that! That's the term you have to learn"
-Robert Ritter to Jack Ryan (Clear and Present Danger)

Stacyhs 23rd April 2022 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike! (Post 13790168)
Example? I think she's taking legal advice from him.
Next best thing to having a fool for a lawyer and all, you know.
'I say a lot of things, a whole lot of things, the best of things. I can't possibly be expected to remember all of them but I have one of the great memories of all time,' or something very much like that at least.

FTFY

Stacyhs 23rd April 2022 04:41 PM

Apparently, Perjury Taylor Greene doesn't know the difference between treason and violating an oath of office. You can be executed for the former but not the latter.

She's such a moron.

Gord_in_Toronto 23rd April 2022 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13790488)
Apparently, Perjury Taylor Greene doesn't know the difference between treason and violating an oath of office. You can be executed for the former but not the latter.

She's such a moron.

As a proud moron, I resent that!

eerok 23rd April 2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13790488)
Perjury Taylor Greene

She's earned that one for sure.

shemp 23rd April 2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto (Post 13790498)
As a proud moron, I resent that!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Gord_in_Toronto 24th April 2022 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 13790525)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

:thumbsup::thumbsup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.