International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Marjorie Taylor Greene thread. (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347945)

catsmate 5th February 2021 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13385056)
P of course

Q'ute.....
(Anyone get the reference? :))

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portlandatheist (Post 13384844)
She's backpedaling but she is using completely squishy language while doing so: "9/11 did happen" and "school shootings are real" but what she isn't saying is that a plane did hit the pentagon or that the Parkland school shooting was not a false flag and so on and always plays the role of the victim.

Exactly. She's carefully couching her words to appear like she's taking back her claims when she's actually not.

Nessie 5th February 2021 02:16 AM

It is interesting finding out more about a future POTUS and first white female President.

The Don 5th February 2021 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13384474)
How many of your negative predictions have come true in the last year?

Trump is out.
He left DC.
You haven't had a correct prediction that I recall.

Now you say the Senate will move Q-ward while the vote in the House to support Cheney demonstrates the crazies are not in the majority even in the House.

I see a race between (fake ;) ) news coverage that ironically over-represents the crazies and draws a lot of smaller donors, and the big donors who stay in the shadows and don't favor the QAnons. It's always about the money.

The majority of Republicans voted to keep Greene on her committee assignments - only 11 voted against her. That's hardly a damning indictment of her and her views.

On the contrary, the ovation she got from her GOP colleagues seemed to be a ringing endorsement of her.

The vote to support Liz Cheney was a secret vote, the vote to endorse Greene was a public one. IMO that's a clear indication as to the opinion of the GOP as to the leaning of their support. If you want the support of the GOP rank and file, you cannot be critical of QAnon.

Regarding my predictions regarding President Trump, you're right I was far to pessimistic about his ability to remain in post. OTOH I completely failed to predict the armed attack on the Capitol so maybe it's not safe to say that everything in the garden is rosy.

MRC_Hans 5th February 2021 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 13379562)
But we also need to add the Jewish space lasers.

"Gentlefolk given the plea for unity can’t we strive for unity and agree to say she is a “Snivelling bat-**** crazy cowardly lying hypocritical anti-semitic conspiratard"?

Let me right now suggest a plan B: Once this gets too long (maybe already has, I see there are numerous posts still ahead of me), could we just abbreviate to something like "ultimate tosser"?

Hans

Captain_Swoop 5th February 2021 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385063)
Romans were incredibly tolerant of other religions. They allowed them to remain as long as they recognized the emperor as a god, too. That was the problem behind their intolerance of Christians: they refused to do so.

Until they became Christian yes, the Romans were tolerant and would add or ignore religions from around the Empire. Their pantheon was huge.

Mithraism was incorporated and was very popular with the Legions. It was the contender alongside Christianity to become the single 'official' religion and seems to have had some of it's aspects incorporated anyway.

Captain_Swoop 5th February 2021 04:19 AM

Marjorie Taylor Greene tweets

@mtgreenee
Thank you to the real Republicans who stood with me today!
Every single one of you will be remembered.

I'll be holding a press conference tomorrow at 11 AM. See you there.

RT if you still have @realDonaldTrump’s back!

newyorkguy 5th February 2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 13385389)
The majority of Republicans voted to keep Greene on her committee assignments - only 11 voted against her. That's hardly a damning indictment of her and her views...

Over 74 million Americans wanted four more years of donald trump. Other than the national race, the Republican Party did pretty well in the 2020 elections. The problem is -- the real problem -- is a sizeable segment of the American public supports these people, shares their views, thinks their way.

If you asked the gentlefolk of the Republican Party -- the average rank-and-file -- is it possible a Jewish space laser started the fires in California? I'm sure many if not most would stare for a second then shrug. "Yes it's probably possible, sure. I don't really know." I think that's the best you'd get from the average GOPer.

Maybe Jordan Klepper should ask them. ;)

Ethan Thane Athen 5th February 2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13385442)
Until they became Christian yes, the Romans were tolerant and would add or ignore religions from around the Empire. Their pantheon was huge.

Mithraism was incorporated and was very popular with the Legions. It was the contender alongside Christianity to become the single 'official' religion and seems to have had some of it's aspects incorporated anyway.

Indeed. In fact they had a very enlightened (pragmatic) view on other religions that I wish more modern religions would adopt eg 'Oh you worship the goddess Sulis, what's she the goddess of? Uh-huh, yeah that sounds just like our goddess Minerva, must be the same one, we just have different names for her - I mean we speak a different language after all. Let's just call her Sulis-Minerva and crack on.'

For an atheist, it's bizarre to see the various Abrahmic religions at eachothers throats when they're essentially the same thing - one supreme being that they just have a different name for and some cultural differences in worship (yes I know I'm over-simplifying)...from there it's not even a stretch to compare to various pagan religions: 'What, one god only? Oh he has a son...oh and super-powered angels and saints and stuff. Yeah I guess that's just like ours, after all Zeus, Jupiter, Odin, Dagda etc are the top guy and then the lesser gods are either their kids* or basically like your angels etc. and Pluto, Hel, Surtur etc they're your devils and demons.'

*I mean, it's no stretch to see Jesus with a hammer - he was a carpenter after all!

ETA I believe the Babylonian mythos was er, 'heavily borrowed' from in Christianity as well.

Captain_Swoop 5th February 2021 06:14 AM

Guess which isa the real quote.

“I never said any of these things since I have been elected for Congress. These were words of the past, and these things do not represent me.”

“The Terrible Things I Have Said and Done My Entire Life, and Right Up Until a Few Days Ago, Do Not Represent Me As a Person”

CapelDodger 5th February 2021 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13385062)
Would that be a re-created or resurgence situation? Lutheran Church seems to have "invented" it based on Luther's "The Jews and their Lies".

Luther set the seed, I agree, but Jews were still defined by religion, not race. The racial aspect came after the development of race theory and nationalism in the later 19th Century. The Vatican actually made the distinction : religious anti-semitism was in, political anti-semitism was out. (That was principally about Austria, which of course was at the heart of the development.)

Quote:

And I don't claim to know enough to say if that would even be the oldest example of institutional widespread antisemitism.
The Spanish Inquisition was earlier, for one.

CapelDodger 5th February 2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385063)
Romans were incredibly tolerant of other religions. They allowed them to remain as long as they recognized the emperor as a god, too.

The Romans were inclusive but intolerant - anyone could become a Roman if they conformed to Roman ways, which included honouring Rome's gods.
Quote:

That was the problem behind their intolerance of Christians: they refused to do so.
The later cults were subject to spasmodic repression just like Christianity (which was just another cult, or set of cults, for the first two centuries). It's notable that when Constantine adopted it as a potential unifying force the first thing he did was organise a council to precisely define it (so quintessentially Roman), and the first result of that council was persecution of Arian Christianity.

Jim_MDP 5th February 2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13385078)
Some just posted a shot of "Q" from Star Trek with the caption:
"I am angry at stupid Earthlings besmirching my good name".

He's got a point.

[emoji1]

CapelDodger 5th February 2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13385089)
Interestingly, as far as I understand, the Kiwi slang for meth is "P"

The Influence of Crystal Meth on Early 21st Century US Politics could make a good thesis title one day. It may even earn a pass (with some tweaking).

TheSupermeerkat 5th February 2021 08:28 AM

My prediction: RTG will say something stupid in under a week, and she will be defended by various GOP members with the following:

1. It's not what she said,
2. It's not what she meant,
3. But the Democrats said....

wareyin 5th February 2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13385558)
Luther set the seed, I agree, but Jews were still defined by religion, not race. The racial aspect came after the development of race theory and nationalism in the later 19th Century. The Vatican actually made the distinction : religious anti-semitism was in, political anti-semitism was out. (That was principally about Austria, which of course was at the heart of the development.)

The Spanish Inquisition was earlier, for one.

Yeah, but nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Jim_MDP 5th February 2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 13385589)
The Influence of Crystal Meth on Early 21st Century US Politics could make a good thesis title one day. It may even earn a pass (with some tweaking).

I see what you did there. [emoji1]

Segnosaur 5th February 2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat (Post 13385590)
My prediction: RTG will say something stupid in under a week, and she will be defended by various GOP members with the following:

1. It's not what she said,
2. It's not what she meant,
3. But the Democrats said....

Don't forget "I didn't personally hear what she said so I can't comment on it"

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

grunion 5th February 2021 09:35 AM

I'm wondering how long Kevin McCarthy gets away with claiming ignorance of Qanon ("can't even pronounce it".) I suspect that will now be the official response of the No-Nothing QOP.

Trebuchet 5th February 2021 12:00 PM

She thanked the Dems this morning for removing her from the committees, which would have been a waste of her time. And declared that the GOP belongs to Trump and Trump alone.

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13385795)
She thanked the Dems this morning for removing her from the committees, which would have been a waste of her time. And declared that the GOP belongs to Trump and Trump alone.

When a CNN reporter asked her about her comments about Pelosi she tried to not answer by asking the reporter if she'd ever apologized for accusing Trump of colluding with the Russians. She basically just became aggressive and kept going round and round never answering the question about Pelosi. There's no way she's going to be able to keep her mouth shut.

Norman Alexander 5th February 2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion (Post 13385648)
I'm wondering how long Kevin McCarthy gets away with claiming ignorance of Qanon ("can't even pronounce it".) I suspect that will now be the official response of the No-Nothing QOP.

He's on public record as talking about it with basically correct pronunciation. Numerous times.

dirtywick 5th February 2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385866)
When a CNN reporter asked her about her comments about Pelosi she tried to not answer by asking the reporter if she'd ever apologized for accusing Trump of colluding with the Russians. She basically just became aggressive and kept going round and round never answering the question about Pelosi. There's no way she's going to be able to keep her mouth shut.

Trump should have been a giant lesson that this style of politician can't be controlled.

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13385868)
He's on public record as talking about it with basically correct pronunciation. Numerous times.

Just another example of the lying they're so infamous for. Sean Hannity actually had the gall to say 'Not a single conservative I know' shares Greene's 'conspiratorial beliefs.'

Norman Alexander 5th February 2021 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385875)
Just another example of the lying they're so infamous for. Sean Hannity actually had the gall to say 'Not a single conservative I know' shares Greene's 'conspiratorial beliefs.'

Except Trump. Careful, Sean!

Norman Alexander 5th February 2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywick (Post 13385871)
Trump should have been a giant lesson that this style of politician can't be controlled.

Hopefully the Dems will ensure this loose canon always goes off in the Republican ship.

Skeptic Ginger 5th February 2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 13385795)
She thanked the Dems this morning for removing her from the committees, which would have been a waste of her time. And declared that the GOP belongs to Trump and Trump alone.

She didn't get the message that ship sank.

Skeptic Ginger 5th February 2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13385868)
He's on public record as talking about it with basically correct pronunciation. Numerous times.

Oh that Qanon. :sdl:

Skeptic Ginger 5th February 2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13385875)
Just another example of the lying they're so infamous for. Sean Hannity actually had the gall to say 'Not a single conservative I know' shares Greene's 'conspiratorial beliefs.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13385884)
Except Trump. Careful, Sean!

Those aren't conspiracies, those are real. :rolleyes:

dudalb 5th February 2021 02:02 PM

So the GOP belongs to Trump.


"Ein Reich, Ein Party, Ein Fuehrer".

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13385920)
So the GOP belongs to Trump.


"Ein Reich, Ein Party, Ein Fuehrer".

But don't dare call it a cult.

xjx388 5th February 2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13385920)
So the GOP belongs to Trump.


"Ein Reich, Ein Party, Ein Fuehrer".

According to MTG, maybe. I don't think you can extrapolate that opinion to every member of the GOP.

dudalb 5th February 2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtywick (Post 13385871)
Trump should have been a giant lesson that this style of politician can't be controlled.

Hell, Hitler should have shown them that.
Never forget Hitler did not seize power in a coup, he was given it by German conservatives uner the illusion they cold control him. Van Papen, the head of the conservatives even said
"Well, we don't have to worry about Hitler anymore. We just bought him".

dudalb 5th February 2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 13385969)
According to MTG, maybe. I don't think you can extrapolate that opinion to every member of the GOP.

Sorry, but the GOP just embraced MTG. They had a chance to if not get rid of her neutralize her and they failed because they were afraid of the Qanon wing of the party.
The GOP of Lincoln, Teddy Rossevelt, Eisenhower and, to a degree Reagen is dead. Sooner the more rational Republicans grasp that the better.
I agree that some here equate all conservatives with right wing nuts.That is wrong. But the GOP is hopeless; though I wish the Lincoln Project well.
I think a new center right party is inevirtable.

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 13385969)
According to MTG, maybe. I don't think you can extrapolate that opinion to every member of the GOP.

It's certainly not unreasonable to think so when the vast majority of Republicans approve of Trump after all he's done.

A post Jan. 6 NBC poll showed 86% of Republicans approved of Trump.

A Politico/Morning Consult Poll taken post Jan. 6 showed 75% of Republicans still approved of Trump.

When so many GOP Congressmembers supported his absolutely ridiculous and outrageous lies about the election being stolen and rigged and refused to acknowledge Biden as the President-elect, don't tell me that it hasn't become the Party of Trump.

Segnosaur 5th February 2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 13385969)
Quote:

So the GOP belongs to Trump.
According to MTG, maybe. I don't think you can extrapolate that opinion to every member of the GOP.

Congressional republicans just voted overwhelmingly to protect Trump from impeachment. (House republicans on the articles of impeachment, senate republicans on the issue of constitutionality, which is basically a cover for "let Trump get away with it".)

Among the electorate, Trump left office with > 80% approval among republican voters (and that's after he supported the terrorists).

Ok, technically there may be a small number of anti-Trump republicans, but they lack any significant influence in the party.

So yeah, the GOP does belong to Trump.

Skeptic Ginger 5th February 2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13386011)
Sorry, but the GOP just embraced MTG. They had a chance to if not get rid of her neutralize her and they failed because they were afraid of the Qanon wing of the party.
The GOP of Lincoln, Teddy Rossevelt, Eisenhower and, to a degree Reagen is dead. Sooner the more rational Republicans grasp that the better.
I agree that some here equate all conservatives with right wing nuts.That is wrong. But the GOP is hopeless; though I wish the Lincoln Project well.
I think a new center right party is inevirtable.

That's like Rand Paul today (or yesterday) complaining that the GOP wasn't racist. Is he clueless they supported a racist POTUS for 4 years and there aren't very many of them renouncing the racism within their ranks still.

Clearly Paul is oblivious to or in denial about the racism right in front of his face.

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13386049)
That's like Rand Paul today (or yesterday) complaining that the GOP wasn't racist. Is he clueless they supported a racist POTUS for 4 years and there aren't very many of them renouncing the racism within their ranks still.

Clearly Paul is oblivious to or in denial about the racism right in front of his face.

It's amazing how many people are oblivious. There is a guy in another group I belong to who swears up and down he isn't racist but makes racist comments regularly such as "What has a black scientist ever done except invent peanut butter?" and "White people don't riot". That was about a week before Jan. 6. He honestly doesn't think there is systemic racism and he's a Biden supporter and can't stand Trump. I've known him for years. He just doesn't see it in his own racist statements or understand why Black anger boiled over after what happened in Ferguson or over George Floyd's death.

alfaniner 5th February 2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion (Post 13385648)
I'm wondering how long Kevin McCarthy gets away with claiming ignorance of Qanon ("can't even pronounce it".) I suspect that will now be the official response of the No-Nothing QOP.

I wonder which version of this is going to catch on. So far in the last day or so, I've heard QOP, GOPQ, GQP, Q-Publicans, and my own creation -- RepubliQunes.

Skeptic Ginger 5th February 2021 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13386062)
It's amazing how many people are oblivious. There is a guy in another group I belong to who swears up and down he isn't racist but makes racist comments regularly such as "What has a black scientist ever done except invent peanut butter?" and "White people don't riot". That was about a week before Jan. 6. He honestly doesn't think there is systemic racism and he's a Biden supporter and can't stand Trump. I've known him for years. He just doesn't see it in his own racist statements or understand why Black anger boiled over after what happened in Ferguson or over George Floyd's death.

Not that you need help but ask him why he hasn't looked?

Wiki: List of African-American inventors and scientists

It's a long list.

Stacyhs 5th February 2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13386148)
Not that you need help but ask him why he hasn't looked?

Wiki: List of African-American inventors and scientists

It's a long list.

Believe me, I schooled him.

trustbutverify 5th February 2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13386049)
That's like Rand Paul today (or yesterday) complaining that the GOP wasn't racist. Is he clueless they supported a racist POTUS for 4 years and there aren't very many of them renouncing the racism within their ranks still.

Clearly Paul is oblivious to or in denial about the racism right in front of his face.

Well, his father befriended a group of nauseating racists, and agreed to put his name on a newsletter they published which regularly printed KKK caliber filth. Then, when people began to call him on this as he was running for president, he lied his ass off and denied he knew anything about it. So, there's that.

Matthew Ellard 5th February 2021 07:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13386156)
Well, his father (Ron Paul) befriended a group of nauseating racists, and agreed to put his name on a newsletter they published which regularly printed KKK caliber filth. Then, when people began to call him on this as he was running for president, he lied his ass off and denied he knew anything about it. So, there's that.

It was worse then that. Below is a publicity photo of Ron Paul and Don Black who owns the Stormfront White Action Power Website. Stormfront and David Duke (KKK) donated to Paul's campaigns.

The other image is a tweet from Ron Paul's account that he subsequently deleted. Many extreme right wingers hide behind the "Libertarian" name.

trustbutverify 5th February 2021 07:57 PM

Yes, I'm aware of those incidents. And, of course, Paul played dumb every time.

Apathia 5th February 2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13386151)
Believe me, I schooled him.

I have an old friend just like that.
In the moment a list like the one cited, or any bit of factual data that puts a lie to racism, impresses him.
He'll say something like, "See, I always thought there was some hope for their betterment."
The very next day he's back asserting that blacks are genetically inferior in intelligence.

We spoken on this subject for decades, and as the proverbial dog, he always returns to his vomit.

He's known brilliant Black colleagues in his career, but to him they are exceptional outliers.

He's highly offended at being accused of racism, but he's racist to the core.
I gave up years ago trying to expand his consciousness. And in the current American malaise, he's only grown more reactionary and convinced of the "superiority" of White Culture.

I fear that America has too many dogs returning to their vomit.

Skeptic Ginger 5th February 2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13386189)
Yes, I'm aware of those incidents. And, of course, Paul played dumb every time.

I wasn't. :eek:

I knew Ron Paul was an extremist libertarian, I must have been asleep for the rest.

Matthew Ellard 5th February 2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13386189)
Yes, I'm aware of those incidents. And, of course, Paul played dumb every time.

Ron Paul is annoying, but even more annoying are his "Libertarian" followers claiming they are enlightened by reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, when they have never actually read it and they have no understanding of basic economics theory. They claim that no foreign country should receive USA aid but concentrate on Israel. Stormfront forum posters specifically endorsed Ron Paul.

It is my gut feeling that Ron Paul is simply after money and that's the entire point of his pamphlets and journals.

Matthew Ellard 5th February 2021 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13386250)
I wasn't. :eek:
I knew Ron Paul was an extremist libertarian, I must have been asleep for the rest.

Ron Paul also supports succession if individual states don't like the Union. .

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...inciple-084058

trustbutverify 5th February 2021 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard (Post 13386276)
Ron Paul is annoying, but even more annoying are his "Libertarian" followers claiming they are enlightened by reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, when they have never actually read it and they have no understanding of basic economics theory. They claim that no foreign country should receive USA aid but concentrate on Israel. Stormfront forum posters specifically endorsed Ron Paul.

It is my gut feeling that Ron Paul is simply after money and that's the entire point of his pamphlets and journals.

Actually, I feel he's more than sympathetic to the KKKish far right, as are all hard right "libertarians". But, yes, I agree he's been pandering to the racist survivalist types for decades. Personally, I don't think Lew Rockwell has any non-racist friends.

trustbutverify 5th February 2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard (Post 13386277)
Ron Paul also supports succession if individual states don't like the Union. .

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...inciple-084058

Funny how those calls for succession were in response to a black president being being re-elected. But Paul avoids any mention of the American rebellion most closely resembling that, of course.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.