International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency, Part II (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321150)

Tero 1st July 2017 02:08 PM

The Trump Presidency, Part II

Mod InfoThis is a continuation of this thread.
Posted By:jsfisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 11904338)
Exactly, and what chance that

- Trump won't seek re-election (hint: hes' campaigning already) ?
- He won't get re-elected with an 80% approval rating ?

He is not campaigning because he will run (too lazy to run twice). He just likes to hear the cheering crowds of supporters.

Approval rating will be such that his party will not run him. It is rare, but will happen. They may even run Pence to look like they support Trump ideas but not the blabbering idiot part.

Minoosh 1st July 2017 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 11904168)
Probably true.

On what do you base your claim that she is probably stupid?

She didn't do well against Russell Brand. In fairness he did troll her a bit but she was reduced to blushing and stammering.

If you are "bleeding badly" from a cosmetic procedure, and your looks are a key asset, you're not likely to be seeking out social encounters. You shouldn't be bleeding badly to begin with. It appears that every single "fact" in his tweet is wrong and I have yet to read the last batch.

I wish he'd get slapped with a few slander/libel lawsuits. He lies purposely and maliciously with flagrant disregard for the truth. Conventional wisdom is not to dignify such remarks with a legal response, but I think it's good to keep Trump feeling harried. The more he lashes out the better we know him.

CapelDodger 1st July 2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tero (Post 11904606)
He is not campaigning because he will run (too lazy to run twice). He just likes to hear the cheering crowds of supporters.

Approval rating will be such that his party will not run him. It is rare, but will happen. They may even run Pence to look like they support Trump ideas but not the blabbering idiot part.

Health issues, mark my words. Not conceding his blabbering idiocy (that raises the question of who hired the guy in the first place) but letting him go all the same.

You're absolutely right : a feature of his Presidency has been his nostalgia for the campaign. Now he's got the toy he's bored by it.

CapelDodger 1st July 2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 11904616)
On what do you base your claim that she is probably stupid?

She didn't do well against Russell Brand. In fairness he did troll her a bit but she was reduced to blushing and stammering.

I so hate to say this, but compared to Trump, Russell Brand has real substance. And is equally shameless. Actually I'd love to see Trump v Brand in a cage-fight, metaphorically speaking.

Quote:

If you are "bleeding badly" from a cosmetic procedure, and your looks are a key asset, you're not likely to be seeking out social encounters. You shouldn't be bleeding badly to begin with. It appears that every single "fact" in his tweet is wrong and I have yet to read the last batch.
As you say, all reasoning argues against Trump's unconsidered bitchy comments.

Quote:

I wish he'd get slapped with a few slander/libel lawsuits. He lies purposely and maliciously with flagrant disregard for the truth. Conventional wisdom is not to dignify such remarks with a legal response, but I think it's good to keep Trump feeling harried. The more he lashes out the better we know him.
I think we know him all too well already. The gain is in the slivers of newly-enlightened he whittles from his own support with each of these engagements. I can't imagine that's balanced by any converts they generate.

Minoosh 1st July 2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 11904645)
I think we know him all too well already. The gain is in the slivers of newly-enlightened he whittles from his own support with each of these engagements.

One percentage point at a time.

CapelDodger 1st July 2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 11904659)
One percentage point at a time.

But so frequently.

Childlike Empress 1st July 2017 04:41 PM

He's on a roll again ... these are tweets I get delivered via RSS and am too lazy to source, you know his ccount:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teh Donald
The FAKE & FRAUDULENT NEWS MEDIA is working hard to convince Republicans and others I should not use social media - but remember, I won.... / ....the 2016 election with interviews, speeches and social media. I had to beat #FakeNews, and did. We will continue to WIN! / I am thinking about changing the name #FakeNews CNN to #FraudNewsCNN! / My use of social media is not Presidential - it’s MODERN DAY PRESIDENTIAL. Make America Great Again!

Hahahaha, in that area you just gotta love the leader of the free world for stating the obvious - dumb as a rock is dumb as a rock and the enemy is the enemy.

Belz... 1st July 2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress (Post 11904718)
He's on a roll again ... these are tweets I get delivered via RSS and am too lazy to source, you know his ccount:

Hahahaha, in that area you just gotta love the leader of the free world for stating the obvious - dumb as a rock is dumb as a rock and the enemy is the enemy.

Haven't you learned anything so far? If Trump says something, it's false.

CapelDodger 1st July 2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

...I should not use social media - but remember, I won....
Like a dog to its own sick Trump is back to his win, and if social media can win him the election it can win him his Presidency, whatever anybody might say. Not sad, not even tragic, just pathetic.

Childlike Empress 1st July 2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 11904732)
Like a dog to its own sick Trump is back to his win, and if social media can win him the election it can win him his Presidency, whatever anybody might say. Not sad, not even tragic, just pathetic.

Die normative Kraft des Faktischen.

CapelDodger 1st July 2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argumemnon (Post 11904720)
Haven't you learned anything so far? If Trump says something, it's false.

Probably false but certainly self-serving, at least in his own fleeting estimation.

CapelDodger 1st July 2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress (Post 11904734)
Die normative Kraft des Faktischen.

Bollocks then, bollocks still, and all the signs indicate bollocks forever.

Tero 1st July 2017 06:39 PM

Moving on towards 2018 elections, reluctant Trumpeteers DO worry about insurance etc.

Quote:

We can’t go back and find the voters who cast an unenthusiastic ballot for Trump.1 But FiveThirtyEight partnered with SurveyMonkey to survey more than 7,000 American adults during the first week of April and asked Trump voters how enthusiastic their vote for the president had been. (We gave respondents five levels of excitement to choose, from “very excited” to “not excited at all”.)2 About 15 percent of Trump voters said they weren’t excited to cast a ballot for him. This group differs demographically and has different policy priorities from the rest of the Trump cohort.

Who are the reluctant Trump voters? Like most Trump supporters, they are overwhelmingly white — 85 percent — and middle age and older. Forty-three percent of reluctant Trumpers were 55 or older, as were 49 percent of other Trump voters.

The biggest difference between the two groups is education level: 37 percent of reluctant Trumpers had at least a college degree, while only 25 percent of other Trump supporters had a college or postgraduate degree. This enthusiasm gap for Trump among better-educated Trump voters partly explains why Republicans — most prominently the president — are keeping an eye on the special election today in Georgia’s 6th Congressional District, Republican Tom Price’s old seat. Georgia’s 6th has one of the highest levels of educational attainment in the country, and the race is tight, with Democratic newcomer Jon Ossoff making a strong showing in polls and fundraising.

Reluctant Trumpers are also less loyal to the Republican Party brand; when it comes to party identification, 75 percent of them said they are Republican or Republican-leaning, while 91 percent of other Trump voters called themselves Republican or Republican-leaning.

But as of right now, reluctant Trump voters approve of Trump, and not even reluctantly, though at nowhere near the same levels of other Trump voters: 74 percent of reluctant Trumpers approved of the president, while a whopping 97 percent of more enthusiastic Trump voters approved of him.

Despite this general approval rating harmony among Trump voters, reluctant Trumpers prioritized issues slightly differently than other Trump voters did; they seem more moved by traditional Republican Party issues than the president’s law-and-order/build-the-wall-focused campaign promises. While a plurality of all Trump voters said the economy was the most important issue to them, reluctant Trump voters rated health care as their second priority — standard Republican talking points during the Obama years hammered away on the need to “repeal and replace Obamacare.” But the other Trump voters did not consider health care to be quite so important; it came in fourth on their list of priorities, after terrorism and immigration.

Given their interest in health care, reluctant Trump voters’ reactions to the failed Republican health care bill are of particular interest, and they were far less happy with how Trump handled the process than the president’s other supporters. A slim majority, 54 percent, of the reluctant Trump voters approved of Trump’s role in the health care process, compared with 88 percent of more enthusiastic Trump voters.

Reluctant Trump voters are more in line with the rest of Trump’s base on other issues. One thing reluctant Trump voters seem unwaveringly pleased by is the placement of Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court; 86 percent of them approved of the nomination; 96 percent of other Trump voters approved as well. Three-fourths of the reluctant voters think the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is a distraction; 89 percent of other Trump voters do.

But there are danger signs for Trump and the GOP: Nearly 80 percent of Trump’s enthusiastic voters said they approved of his budget proposal, which essentially serves as an outline of the White House’s priorities. Only about half of reluctant Trump voters approved of the budget. That should worry the administration — a sign that the group that pushed him over the finish line in November 2016 isn’t on board with parts of Trump’s agenda.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ink-hes-doing/

SezMe 1st July 2017 09:42 PM

Here are three snippets from the above quote:

Quote:

...while a whopping 97 percent of more enthusiastic Trump voters approved of him.

... 54 percent, of the reluctant Trump voters approved of Trump’s role in the health care process...

Three-fourths of the reluctant voters think the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is a distraction...
These are "reluctant" voters yet look at how much they approve of what he's done. I've read all the posts trying to explain Trump's popularity and probably a million other articles on the subject. Yet, to be honest, I still don't get it.

For example, Trump played NO role in the health care process, yet GOPers not only think he did but approve of his "actions". I don't watch TV - has Fox lauded his role?

Is it really possible that 97% of enthusiastic Trump voters are divorced from reality? Only 3% see through him? Really?

Is it at all possible to explain these stunning figures?

SezMe 1st July 2017 09:44 PM

Here are three snippets from the above quote:

Quote:

...while a whopping 97 percent of more enthusiastic Trump voters approved of him.

... 54 percent, of the reluctant Trump voters approved of Trump’s role in the health care process...

Three-fourths of the reluctant voters think the investigation into collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia is a distraction...
These are "reluctant" voters yet look at how much they approve of what he's done. I've read all the posts trying to explain Trump's popularity and probably a million other articles on the subject. Yet, to be honest, I still don't get it.

For example, Trump played NO role in the health care process, yet GOPers not only think he did but approve of his "actions". I don't watch TV - has Fox lauded his role?

Is it really possible that 97% of enthusiastic Trump voters are divorced from reality? Only 3% see through him? Really?

Is it at all possible to explain these stunning figures?

alfaniner 2nd July 2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 11904616)

I wonder if CNN will have a case? (he wants to call them "FRAUDNEWS"). I understand that you can say something is ********, or call someone an ******* (Note Penn & Teller's long-running Showtime series) but calling them a fraud has legal implications.

The Don 2nd July 2017 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 11904424)
That's 80% of his own party.

And falling.

And rising according to Gallup... it's now 85%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/203198/pr...ald-trump.aspx

That's enough to get him re-nominated and the GOP "machine" will take care of the rest unless the Democratic Party can find a candidate to really excite people. The two successful Democratic candidates since 1980 have both been charismatic individuals. The unsuccessful candidates have either never been particularly engaging or have had their natural "bounce" beaten out of them by 40 years in the public eye.

The Don 2nd July 2017 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 11904469)
So? Cherry picking the evidence doesn't make The Don's post any more valid.

The election process has changed considerably since 1960, much less 1860. I think that we need to look at postwar elections to see how incumbents fare.

Unless you're tainted by fraud (Ford) then you stand a pretty good chance of being re-elected if you choose to stand. Trump has already announced that he will run in 2020 so unless we have a Carter/Reagan; Bush/Clinton situation where the other side puts up a much more charismatic candidate then I see every chance of Trump being selected as the GOP candidate (as the link above shows, Gallup have Trump's approval at 85% and rising among the GOP) and if that's the case, unless the Democratic Party put up an exceptional candidate then there's every chance he will be re-elected.

The reason for this is because Trump is exactly the kind of President that a large minority of the U.S. electorate want, not reluctantly accept because he's the candidate, but actively want.

Fast Eddie B 2nd July 2017 04:30 AM

Certainly, no one has put forth that President Trump is especially articulate.

Already mentioned, but seriously...

"Trump’s remarks began with the president’s usual boasting: “We’re going to lead again like we never led before.” But he then appeared to claim all of space for the U.S., calling it the “next great American frontier.”

Trump also referred to space “providing the security that we need to protect the American people.” And he sent Aldrin’s eyebrows shooting up when he added, inexplicably, “At some point in the future, we’re going to look back and say, ‘How did we do it without space?’”

“We know what this is, space. That’s all it has to say: space,” Trump said as he prepared to sign his executive order. He then turned to Aldrin and asked, “There’s a lot of room out there, right?”

“To infinity, and beyond,” Aldrin quipped as others laughed. But Trump apparently didn’t get the reference to Buzz Lightyear’s catchphrase in “Toy Story.”

“This is infinity here. It could be infinity,” Trump answered in a rambling response. “We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?”"

Wow.

From The Huffington Post via Apple News.

Stacko 2nd July 2017 06:30 AM

He's unraveling.

NoahFence 2nd July 2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacko (Post 11905093)

???

I don't even know how to react at this lunacy any more

Stacko 2nd July 2017 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahFence (Post 11905095)
???

I don't even know how to react at this lunacy any more

It's nice that the President has taken a break from his feud with cable TV morning show hosts to encourage violence against the media. No wait... this is completely insane.

alfaniner 2nd July 2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacko (Post 11905098)
It's nice that the President has taken a break from his feud with cable TV morning show hosts to encourage violence against the media. No wait... this is completely insane.

To clarify -- that's an older clip from when he was working with professional wrestling. The update is putting the CNN logo over the guy's face as a contemporary joke.

Belz... 2nd July 2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

...ooohhhkayyy...

Stacko 2nd July 2017 08:02 AM

CNN's response.

alfaniner 2nd July 2017 08:02 AM

OH!! I didn't realize that was posted retweeted by The PDJT himself! That puts a totally different (and disturbing) spin on it.
(I doubt he'd have the skills to actually create the video himself.)

Childlike Empress 2nd July 2017 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 11905161)

I suspect Barron created it.

Stacko 2nd July 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 11905161)
OH!! I didn't realize that was posted retweeted by The PDJT himself! That puts a totally different (and disturbing) spin on it.

Reddit user HanAssholeSolo.

Craig4 2nd July 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Can we please have a serious national discussion about the 25th Amendment now?

Skeptic Ginger 2nd July 2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 11905019)

That's enough to get him re-nominated and the GOP "machine" will take care of the rest unless the Democratic Party can find a candidate to really excite people. The two successful Democratic candidates since 1980 have both been charismatic individuals. The unsuccessful candidates have either never been particularly engaging or have had their natural "bounce" beaten out of them by 40 years in the public eye.

That 6% of Democrats approve of Trump suggests there is a large margin of error in that poll. :p

Civet 2nd July 2017 09:07 AM

Quote:

For a while now - even before he won office - Trump's popularity with Republicans has been a big part of what unnerves me about all of this. I don't believe that he is a man of such incomparable charisma that he's gotten the vast majority of Republicans on board just by personal awesomeness. I strongly suspect that Trump is the kind of leader that most mainstream Republicans have been wanting for a long time. The alt-right might be the most vocal and vulgar of his fans, but they aren't getting him those sorts of approval ratings by themselves.

chrispy 2nd July 2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civet (Post 11905197)
For a while now - even before he won office - Trump's popularity with Republicans has been a big part of what unnerves me about all of this. I don't believe that he is a man of such incomparable charisma that he's gotten the vast majority of Republicans on board just by personal awesomeness. I strongly suspect that Trump is the kind of leader that most mainstream Republicans have been wanting for a long time. The alt-right might be the most vocal and vulgar of his fans, but they aren't getting him those sorts of approval ratings by themselves.

This is interesting. I agree, because his base is often referred to as being the "new" kind of Republican;tea-party, alt-right, uneducated. But with polling at that high a number with Repubs, it does indicate that somehow, someway he is gaining support from more "traditional" Republicans, the kind I thought would have jumped ship (such as many of the same age as my pops).

Stacko 2nd July 2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

You're ignoring that his overall approval is still in the high 30's so overall number of respondents that approve of his performance isn't changing. This "increase in GOP overall approval" just shows that fewer respondents are identifying as Republican and his approval is higher with the shrinking group of self identified Republicans.

chrispy 2nd July 2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacko (Post 11905204)
You're ignoring that his overall approval is still in the high 30's so overall number of respondents that approve of his performance isn't changing. This "increase in GOP overall approval" just shows that fewer respondents are identifying as Republican and his approval is higher with the shrinking group of self identified Republicans.

A reasonable response, and one I hope is true. But most polls are conducted using registered party affiliation, no?

Stacko 2nd July 2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispy (Post 11905207)
A reasonable response, and one I hope is true. But most polls are conducted using registered party affiliation, no?

Self identified. They are blind calls for the most part and request all identification information from the respondent.

Civet 2nd July 2017 09:39 AM

I'm also mildly disappointed that his approval rating among independents seems to have stabilized. I'd hoped it would keep falling. Still very low, though.

Fast Eddie B 2nd July 2017 09:46 AM

As a data point, I'm still a registered Republcan and have found Trump repulsive from the get go.

Stacko 2nd July 2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civet (Post 11905211)
I'm also mildly disappointed that his approval rating among independents seems to have stabilized. I'd hoped it would keep falling. Still very low, though.

The administrations inability to pass legislation is probably the cause of this. If BCRA, the bill formerly known as AHCA, passes, expect a freefall in approval.

jimbob 2nd July 2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacko (Post 11905224)
The administrations inability to pass legislation is probably the cause of this. If BCRA, the bill formerly known as AHCA, passes, expect a freefall in approval.

will it?

I thought that a lot of the effects would hit some time down the road, and that people would be able to get cheaper, nearly worthless insurance, which would seem like a good buy until they need it.

Stacko 2nd July 2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 11905226)
will it?

I thought that a lot of the effects would hit some time down the road, and that people would be able to get cheaper, nearly worthless insurance, which would seem like a good buy until they need it.

BCRA makes a lot of the most unpopular parts of AHCA hit immediately. CBO estimated 15 million more uninsured in year one of it.