International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   White House Survivor (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321828)

Oystein 17th October 2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 12037615)
Does that fall under the separate heading of "quit before officially hired"?

In January I applied for a position in the White House* lawn mowing team. Been waiting for confirmation ever since. But now I've had enough of it! I am quitting!






*: Well, not THE White House, it's actually a house with a yellowish hue closer to where I live, but it has roses in the garden! I hope this still counts for the purpose of this thread, even if the job is not an actual WH position and I never actually held the job.

alfaniner 17th October 2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oystein (Post 12037624)
In January I applied for a position in the White House* lawn mowing team. Been waiting for confirmation ever since. But now I've had enough of it! I am quitting!

*: Well, not THE White House, it's actually a house with a yellowish hue closer to where I live, but it has roses in the garden! I hope this still counts for the purpose of this thread, even if the job is not an actual WH position and I never actually held the job.

Besides, you got beat out by a 12-year-old!

Oystein 17th October 2017 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12037672)
Besides, you got beat out by a 12-year-old!

Who looks kinda brownish and I am sure came from the south. That's why we need that wall! Make Oystein Great Again! :thumbsup:

quadraginta 17th October 2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12037534)
Drug Czar nominee Tom Marino, whom I'd never heard of until this morning. He was supposed to do something about the opioid crisis while being in the pocket of Big Pharma.

Quote:

The Trump administration has made a public push to combat the opioid crisis, with first lady Melania Trump and a presidential commission bringing attention to the issue.
Trump announced in August he would declare the opioid crisis a national emergency, which would allow his administration to free up federal resources to battle an epidemic killing 142 Americans every day. However, Trump has not yet made a formal declaration, though he said Monday that it will come next week.
"It's a very important step," Trump said. "And to get to that step, a lot of work has to be done, and it's time-consuming work. We're going to be doing it next week, OK?"
"Next week" in Trump talk means he'd already forgotten about it and don't hold your breath waiting for him to get around to actually doing anything.

Giordano 18th October 2017 03:23 PM

As with most things Trump screws up, I don't understand why he hasn't taken more heat for his obvious errors in judgement in terms of his appointments. He publicly and repeatedly has had to push out people who, just a few months ago, he brought into his administration. Aren't these errors in his judgement obvious and indisputable? That is not to say that I personally believe all of Trump's ex-appointees were bad, but clearly he ultimately flip flopped and came to that conclusion. It is difficult to drain the swamp if you can't tell the difference between a festering mudflats versus a shiny meadow until you are knee high in the muck.

Makes one wonder about the contestants to whom he gave the thumbs in The Apprentice, right?

Mark F 18th October 2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 12039506)
As with most things Trump screws up, I don't understand why he hasn't taken more heat for his obvious errors in judgement in terms of his appointments. He publicly and repeatedly has had to push out people who, just a few months ago, he brought into his administration. Aren't these errors in his judgement obvious and indisputable? That is not to say that I personally believe all of Trump's ex-appointees were bad, but clearly he ultimately flip flopped and came to that conclusion. It is difficult to drain the swamp if you can't tell the difference between festering mud flats versus a meadow.

Makes one wonder about the contestants to whom he gave the thumbs in The Apprentice, right?

Trump supporters are believers. You can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Giordano 18th October 2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 12039509)
Trump supporters are believers. You can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Eugene V. Debs, "I would not lead you into the promised land if I could, because if I led you in, some one else would lead you out. You must use your heads..."

Mikemcc 18th October 2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12019623)
The problem for Trump is not that Tillerson called him a *********** moron - that can be handled with enough sweet-talk.
But that it has become public knowledge makes Trump think it will make him look weak.

He is weak! The guy is a running joke on this side of the pond. If it wasn't for the sheer size of the US military and it's involvement everywhere the Us would be a has-been pariah state.

The extent to US involvement (for better, or more usually for worse) makes the US unavoidable, but usually unwelcome. Pretty much how the British Empire was in the 1900s. Welcome to the Unwelcome club...

phiwum 18th October 2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 12039509)
Trump supporters are believers. You can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

You can. Indeed, that is the presumption of intellectual discourse.

It is difficult to do so when bias is entrenched but were it not possible, we should give up on argumentation and focus on mere rhetoric.

You and I have grown up with biases. I hope that I have shed my insupportable biases, mostly at least, through reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TheL8Elvis 24th October 2017 12:22 PM

Maybe we need to expand the thread beyond the white house :-)

Jeff Flake, Bob Corker ...

alfaniner 24th October 2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis (Post 12047334)
Maybe we need to expand the thread beyond the white house :-)

Jeff Flake, Bob Corker ...

"What do you mean I can't fire people who don't work for me?!"

dudalb 24th October 2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis (Post 12047334)
Maybe we need to expand the thread beyond the white house :-)

Jeff Flake, Bob Corker ...

Nah, this thread only applies to people that Trump can fire. He can't fire congress critters....

dudalb 24th October 2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12047508)
"What do you mean I can't fire people who don't work for me?!"

That two GOP senators with inpecciable conservative credentials have quit because they can't stand Trump ,though technically does not come under the subject of this thread (it applies only to people whom Trump could fire) is none the less very telling .

thaiboxerken 24th October 2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12047523)
That two GOP senators with inpecciable conservative credentials have quit because they can't stand Trump ,though technically does not come under the subject of this thread (it applies only to people whom Trump could fire) is none the less very telling .

I wish they weren't so cowardly though. They are facing getting primaried from the extreme right, but they should run for election and use the primaries to get out the message against the Nazi-scum-TP-Trump supporters. It is somewhat telling that Republicans are cowards that only say the right things when they aren't running worried about re-election.

Cl1mh4224rd 24th October 2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 12047726)
I wish they weren't so cowardly though. They are facing getting primaried from the extreme right, but they should run for election and use the primaries to get out the message against the Nazi-scum-TP-Trump supporters. It is somewhat telling that Republicans are cowards that only say the right things when they aren't running worried about re-election.


Ehh... The disgruntled employee finally giving his ******* boss a verbal reaming before walking out the door isn't exclusive to right-leaning politicians. It's a movie and television trope for a reason.

jimbob 25th October 2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd (Post 12047796)
Ehh... The disgruntled employee finally giving his ******* boss a verbal reaming before walking out the door isn't exclusive to right-leaning politicians. It's a movie and television trope for a reason.

But he's not their boss, their constituents are supposed to be their boss.

The Don 25th October 2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12047967)
But he's not their boss, their constituents are supposed to be their boss.

IMO only in the same way that the shareholders are the "boss" of a company employee. The electorate may be the ultimate boss but in between there are various levels of management including the whips, the party leadership and in this case, The President.

In any case Flake looks like he is far to moderate for the modern-day GOP and will be replaced in the Senate by a Trumpist. I personally find this a little concerning. I had hoped that the poisonous effects of President Trump might halt the GOP in its headlong rush towards a new kind of extremism - then again I also said that about the religious fundamentalists and the Tea Party so what to I know ? :( :o

KDLarsen 25th October 2017 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 12047969)
IMO only in the same way that the shareholders are the "boss" of a company employee. The electorate may be the ultimate boss but in between there are various levels of management including the whips, the party leadership and in this case, The President.

In any case Flake looks like he is far to moderate for the modern-day GOP and will be replaced in the Senate by a Trumpist. I personally find this a little concerning. I had hoped that the poisonous effects of President Trump might halt the GOP in its headlong rush towards a new kind of extremism - then again I also said that about the religious fundamentalists and the Tea Party so what to I know ? :( :o

Unfortunately, the highlighted bit is contradicted by Flake voting with Trump 90% of the time.

It sounds more like Flake has realised he's most likely going to be primaried, especially considering his abysmal approval rating (currently at 18%) and the fact that Bannon & Breitbart has gone to bat for Kelli Ward, his opponent, and has decided to fire off a departing salute in order to score credit with the more moderate crowd.

TofuFighter 25th October 2017 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDLarsen (Post 12048014)
Unfortunately, the highlighted bit is contradicted by Flake voting with Trump 90% of the time.

It sounds more like Flake has realised he's most likely going to be primaried, especially considering his abysmal approval rating (currently at 18%) and the fact that Bannon & Breitbart has gone to bat for Kelli Ward, his opponent, and has decided to fire off a departing salute in order to score credit with the more moderate crowd.

Still wondering how that's going to play out though...

quadraginta 25th October 2017 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12047521)
Nah, this thread only applies to people that Trump can fire. He can't fire congress critters....


He thinks he can. He believes that if he does not deign to bestow his royal blessing then they would inevitably crash and burn at the next election.

Time will tell if he is right or not.

Cl1mh4224rd 25th October 2017 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12047967)
But he's not their boss, their constituents are supposed to be their boss.


*shrug* I'm quite aware that it wasn't a flawless comparison. That wasn't the point.

The Don 25th October 2017 06:04 AM

It's very worrying what the GOP is becoming, a hard-right, nationalist, anti-immigrant, anti-trade, "know nothing" party funded by shady billionaires with a demagogue as President.

It's even more worrying that the GOP is willing to become this kind of party and isn't being manoeuvered against its will by skilled puppet masters.

What's most worrying from my perspective is the popularity of this kind of party among the white US electorate.

d4m10n 27th October 2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 12039509)
Trump supporters are believers. You can't reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12039532)
You can. Indeed, that is the presumption of intellectual discourse.

Not to mention the fundamental goal of skeptical activism.

I've met dozens of former fundamentalists and not a few former alt-medicine users / woo believers who are now free of harmful false beliefs precisely because people took the trouble to reason with them.

Trump supporters do seem to be especially immune to evidence, though. I'm guessing this is largely because they are watching a totally different movie than the one I'm seeing play out; and because they have been trained to believe that the most conscientious and ethical reportage is mere "fake news."

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12047521)
Nah, this thread only applies to people that Trump can fire. He can't fire congress critters....

Not directly, but with the ongoing Trumpification of the Republican Party, he can influence whether they remain electable. So . . . yeah, not on topic but topically adjacent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12047523)
That two GOP senators with inpecciable conservative credentials have quit because they can't stand Trump, though technically does not come under the subject of this thread (it applies only to people whom Trump could fire) is nonetheless very telling .

They haven't quit being Senators just yet, and probably won't do so until early 2019. There are now, by my count, at least four serving GOP senators completely free to break with party leadership/orthodoxy whenever they damn well please. This bodes ill for major single-party legislative reforms, in the near term.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 12048296)
It's very worrying what the GOP is becoming, a hard-right, nationalist, anti-immigrant, anti-trade, "know nothing" party funded by shady billionaires with a demagogue as President.

It really is worrying, but what is the viable alternative for that party? Put another way, who can possibly drag them back towards the center on any major issues? Jon Huntsman? Chris Christie? Susan Collins? I'm afraid the damage may be irreversible, the epistemic and moral rot too deep.

The Don 27th October 2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12051476)
It really is worrying, but what is the viable alternative for that party? Put another way, who can possibly drag them back towards the center on any major issues? Jon Huntsman? Chris Christie? Susan Collins? I'm afraid the damage may be irreversible, the epistemic and moral rot too deep.

It would be a lot less worrying if the Trumpification (and prior to that the Christian fundamentalisation and Tea Partification) of the GOP made it less electable (and hence provided a sharp correction) but instead they remain at least as electable as ever and in some states far more electable.

Whoever replaces Flake will likely be some combination of religious fundamentalist, Tea Party, America First, vehemently anti-Immigrant, anti-science, know-nothing - and will be enthusiastically elected by the good people of Arizona.

IMO President Trump isn't the problem, he's just a symptom :(

Dr. Keith 27th October 2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 12051561)
IMO President Trump isn't the problem, he's just a symptom :(

That is what made me feel so awful the night he was elected: we really are this bad.

Minoosh 27th October 2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don (Post 12051561)
Whoever replaces Flake will likely be some combination of religious fundamentalist, Tea Party, America First, vehemently anti-Immigrant, anti-science, know-nothing - and will be enthusiastically elected by the good people of Arizona.

Possible but not a slam dunk.

TheL8Elvis 2nd November 2017 08:21 AM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-for-ag-post

Washington (AP) -- A former Trump campaign official who has been linked to the Russia investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller has withdrawn his nomination for an Agriculture post.

Sam Clovis says in a letter to President Donald Trump dated Thursday that he does "not want to be a distraction or a negative influence." Clovis cites what he calls "relentless assaults on you and your team" that "seem to be a blood sport."


Out before he was in ....

d4m10n 2nd November 2017 08:33 AM

https://twitter.com/dumptrump33/stat...85376257531904

varwoche 2nd November 2017 08:52 AM

If we weren't in a period in time where the craziness, lies, bigotry, and rank incompetence weren't so rampant, there would be multiple threads focused on Sam Clovis, buffoon extraordinaire. Bye Sam, we barely knew you.

Stacko 2nd November 2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12059677)
If we weren't in a period in time where the craziness, lies, bigotry, and rank incompetence weren't so rampant, there would be multiple threads focused on Sam Clovis, buffoon extraordinaire. Bye Sam, we barely knew you.

Isn't he still part of the USDA?

The Don 2nd November 2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12059677)
If we weren't in a period in time where the craziness, lies, bigotry, and rank incompetence weren't so rampant, there would be multiple threads focused on Sam Clovis, buffoon extraordinaire. Bye Sam, we barely knew you.

Damn ! :mad:

Leftist #Fakenews denying the United States the invaluable services of a True PatriotTM ;) :D

Craig4 2nd November 2017 06:45 PM

I'm going back to Kushner as the next to leave. CNN was damning and if the leaks are true, The Hair is very angry with him. If it looks like he might get called, Kushner will need to gone so Trump can say he had a minor role.

phiwum 2nd November 2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12060365)
I'm going back to Kushner as the next to leave. CNN was damning and if the leaks are true, The Hair is very angry with him. If it looks like he might get called, Kushner will need to gone so Trump can say he had a minor role.

It's a bold prediction. I tell you what: I'll bet you a quarter that Kushner doesn't leave the administration before Trump.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm not.

TheL8Elvis 3rd November 2017 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12060365)
I'm going back to Kushner as the next to leave. CNN was damning and if the leaks are true, The Hair is very angry with him. If it looks like he might get called, Kushner will need to gone so Trump can say he had a minor role.

It seems all but certain Mueller has a sealed indictment waiting for Kushner, and Trump has demonstrated zero loyalty to anyone but himself.

Seems like a reasonable pick.

Dr. Keith 3rd November 2017 08:03 AM

Rex seemed to be on the hot seat a bit based on this morning's news. Kush may be moved to the side, but I don't see him being dropped unless he is actually indicted, and even then I'm not sure.

Trebuchet 9th November 2017 07:36 AM

Betsy DeVos, according to the general Trump thread.

d4m10n 9th November 2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12068979)
Betsy DeVos, according to the general Trump thread.

I saw some stories to that effect, but the sourcing was ambiguous at best.

Oystein 9th November 2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12068979)
Betsy DeVos, according to the general Trump thread.

I missed whatever lead to that nomination. What happened?

TofuFighter 10th November 2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oystein (Post 12069088)
I missed whatever lead to that nomination. What happened?

It was originally on Alternet and punted upfield in the Salon story, but it appears all to be rumour.

PhantomWolf 10th November 2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuFighter (Post 12070429)
It was originally on Alternet and punted upfield in the Salon story, but it appears all to be rumour.

Should really have known that she wasn't up to the job when she stated that they needed guns in schools as protection for grizzly bears. Come on, everyone knows, you don't shoot a grizzly, it'll just make it angry!

*****WARNING: Graphic Images in article. Not for the squeamish!******


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-19, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.