International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MAGA brats mock Native American with "build the wall" chants (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334324)

The Big Dog 22nd February 2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 12611344)
Do you think I actually write like that? Do you not recognize dialect when you see it? You're not as dumb as you pretend to be, so I know you realize that it was a rhetorical device.

See? That's called mockery. That's the same comment the idiots you support make all the time. Everyone else got it. Unlike your egregious torturing of the English language, I didn't post in a hurry and accidentally slip into the way I really speak.

Yes, you do actually write like that, you see, you wrote that. I didn't write that, you wrote that next level nonsense, while accusing me (twice) of torturing the English language. It is "dialect" (no dialect on earth has ever used the ******* word "Chicaggy") it is "mockery"! Both! Neither!

I've mentioned it before, but your insipid, juvenile "mockery" is without a doubt the most fatuous, puerile nonsense that is regularly posted on this forum.

Folks, it is called "mockery"! That is the way true skeptics post.

Baylor 23rd February 2019 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapelDodger (Post 12611332)
You really are feeling the walls closing in around you, aren't you?

I knew this would happen, when you and your ilk were braying about having all the power in January 2016. All that power, all that winning to come, and here you are engaged in some of the saddest displacement activity I've seen in my lifetime.

No power means a damn' thing if it doesn't engage with reality, and the GOP doesn't. It can cancel Obamacare if that doesn't engage with reality, but they can't cancel it when it would. Thus proving themselves to be utterly inane. All it took was the opportunity, something most of us were well aware of.

Your own inanity you demonstrate by your retreat from strutting "We have all the power" across the bandwidth to whining about ... well, just whining generally.

Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 11 and rule 12.

ChrisBFRPKY 23rd February 2019 01:55 AM

From The Daily Signal:

A full list of the individuals and entities who will be receiving a letter from Sandmann’s attorneys is below:

The Washington Post
The New York Times
Cable News Network Inc. (CNN)
The Guardian
National Public Radio
TMZ
Atlantic Media Inc.
Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
Diocese of Covington
Diocese of Lexington
Archdiocese of Louisville
Archdiocese of Baltimore
Ana Cabrera
Sara Sidner
Erin Burnett
S.E. Cupp
Eliott C. McLaughlin
Amanda Watts
Emanuella Grinberg
Michelle Boorstein
Cleve R. Wootson Jr.
Antonio Olivo
Joe Heim
Michael E. Miller
Eli Rosenberg
Isaac Stanley-Becker
Kristine Phillips
Sarah Mervosh
Emily S. Rueb
Maggie Haberman
David Brooks
Shannon Doyne
Kurt Eichenwald
Andrea Mitchell
Savannah Guthrie
Joy Reid
Chuck Todd
Noah Berlatsky
Elisha Fieldstadt
Eun Kyung Kim
HBO
Bill Maher
Warner Media
Conde Nast
GQ
Heavy.com
The Hill
The Atlantic
Bustle.com
Rep. Ilhan Omar
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Kathy Griffin
Alyssa Milano
Jim Carrey

Parsman 23rd February 2019 04:02 AM

In the most ridiculously litigious nation in the world, there is another law suit. News at 11.

Regnad Kcin 23rd February 2019 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12611520)
Another non-American, ranting incoherently about US politics, can't even get the simplest of facts right.

Forest. Trees.

applecorped 23rd February 2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parsman (Post 12611598)
In the most ridiculously litigious nation in the world, there is another law suit. News at 11.

Pathetic hand wave attempt noted

Foolmewunz 23rd February 2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 12611539)
From The Daily Signal:

A full list of the individuals and entities who will be receiving a letter from Sandmann’s attorneys is below:

The Washington Post
The New York Times
Cable News Network Inc. (CNN)
The Guardian
National Public Radio
TMZ
Atlantic Media Inc.
Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
Diocese of Covington
Diocese of Lexington
Archdiocese of Louisville
Archdiocese of Baltimore
Ana Cabrera
Sara Sidner
Erin Burnett
S.E. Cupp
Eliott C. McLaughlin
Amanda Watts
Emanuella Grinberg
Michelle Boorstein
Cleve R. Wootson Jr.
Antonio Olivo
Joe Heim
Michael E. Miller
Eli Rosenberg
Isaac Stanley-Becker
Kristine Phillips
Sarah Mervosh
Emily S. Rueb
Maggie Haberman
David Brooks
Shannon Doyne
Kurt Eichenwald
Andrea Mitchell
Savannah Guthrie
Joy Reid
Chuck Todd
Noah Berlatsky
Elisha Fieldstadt
Eun Kyung Kim
HBO
Bill Maher
Warner Media
Conde Nast
GQ
Heavy.com
The Hill
The Atlantic
Bustle.com
Rep. Ilhan Omar
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Kathy Griffin
Alyssa Milano
Jim Carrey

You could at least give it context. While this ought to be a blast to watch, he's currently demanding a retraction/apology from each of them. One assumes the letter is couched in the lawyerese version of ".... or else".

Remember when our legal beagles were all shocked, shocked I say, that Avenatti was making a circus out of our respected legal system. I'm betting that this is seen as "time well spent" because.... stuff.

acbytesla 23rd February 2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 12611539)
From The Daily Signal:

A full list of the individuals and entities who will be receiving a letter from Sandmann’s attorneys is below:

The Washington Post
The New York Times
Cable News Network Inc. (CNN)
The Guardian
National Public Radio
TMZ
Atlantic Media Inc.
Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
Diocese of Covington
Diocese of Lexington
Archdiocese of Louisville
Archdiocese of Baltimore
Ana Cabrera
Sara Sidner
Erin Burnett
S.E. Cupp
Eliott C. McLaughlin
Amanda Watts
Emanuella Grinberg
Michelle Boorstein
Cleve R. Wootson Jr.
Antonio Olivo
Joe Heim
Michael E. Miller
Eli Rosenberg
Isaac Stanley-Becker
Kristine Phillips
Sarah Mervosh
Emily S. Rueb
Maggie Haberman
David Brooks
Shannon Doyne
Kurt Eichenwald
Andrea Mitchell
Savannah Guthrie
Joy Reid
Chuck Todd
Noah Berlatsky
Elisha Fieldstadt
Eun Kyung Kim
HBO
Bill Maher
Warner Media
Conde Nast
GQ
Heavy.com
The Hill
The Atlantic
Bustle.com
Rep. Ilhan Omar
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Kathy Griffin
Alyssa Milano
Jim Carrey

Frederick the Great said "he who defends everything defends nothing". This is kind of the same.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 12611539)
From The Daily Signal:

A full list of the individuals and entities who will be receiving a letter from Sandmann’s attorneys is below:

The Washington Post
The New York Times
Cable News Network Inc. (CNN)
The Guardian
National Public Radio
TMZ
Atlantic Media Inc.
Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.
Diocese of Covington
Diocese of Lexington
Archdiocese of Louisville
Archdiocese of Baltimore
Ana Cabrera
Sara Sidner
Erin Burnett
S.E. Cupp
Eliott C. McLaughlin
Amanda Watts
Emanuella Grinberg
Michelle Boorstein
Cleve R. Wootson Jr.
Antonio Olivo
Joe Heim
Michael E. Miller
Eli Rosenberg
Isaac Stanley-Becker
Kristine Phillips
Sarah Mervosh
Emily S. Rueb
Maggie Haberman
David Brooks
Shannon Doyne
Kurt Eichenwald
Andrea Mitchell
Savannah Guthrie
Joy Reid
Chuck Todd
Noah Berlatsky
Elisha Fieldstadt
Eun Kyung Kim
HBO
Bill Maher
Warner Media
Conde Nast
GQ
Heavy.com
The Hill
The Atlantic
Bustle.com
Rep. Ilhan Omar
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Kathy Griffin
Alyssa Milano
Jim Carrey

There are absolutely some rats on the list, that perpetrated and spread the now debunked race grift that still persists in certain disreputable corners of the loony left.

Some are just deluded, like Jim Carrey, the utterly failed antivax grifter, who got caught up in the scam, and painted an awful picture. Not sure being profoundly mentally ill and a terrible artist is suit worthy though.

The one thing that list has in common is that it is a prime example of punching down, way down. 16 year old white kid became the bane of the leftists.

acbytesla 23rd February 2019 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12611689)
There are absolutely some rats on the list, that perpetrated and spread the now debunked race grift that still persists in certain disreputable corners of the loony left.

Some are just deluded, like Jim Carrey, the utterly failed antivax grifter, who got caught up in the scam, and painted an awful picture. Not sure being profoundly mentally ill and a terrible artist is suit worthy though.

The one thing that list has in common is that it is a prime example of punching down, way down. 16 year old white kid became the bane of the leftists.

We've seen who and what you consider to be rats. You'll excuse us if we don't take our cues from someone who doesn't acknowledge that Donald Trump is a lying POS scumbag.

Carrey is not mentally ill. He has been wrong before as are you on at least half of your posts. If Carrey is mentally ill, then so are Christians, Muslims and anyone else who believes in invisible beings.

And if some of these people are what did you call them, "race grifters" then what do you say Trump is when he demonize latin immigrants?

I still can't fathom the depth of such hypocrisy.

Meadmaker 23rd February 2019 08:25 AM

Call me cynical, but I have a feeling that part of the reason for casting such a wide net is to create more billable hours for the legal team.

Comedians don't have any reasonable requirement to do fact checking. There is no way bill Maher is going to be held responsible for libel just because he repeated what he heard in the New York Times.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker (Post 12611699)
Call me cynical, but I have a feeling that part of the reason for casting such a wide net is to create more billable hours for the legal team.

Comedians don't have any reasonable requirement to do fact checking. There is no way bill Maher is going to be held responsible for libel just because he repeated what he heard in the New York Times.

There is no possible chance in hell these lawyers are doing this on anything other a contingency. Further, Bill Maher is not a Comedian, he is the host of an awful TV program on HBO that purports to cover current events (and a hell of a racist to boot but I digress). Fact checking and a retraction might be a defense to punitive damages but is not a defense to the defamation case. In other words, the plaintiffs do not have to show the lack of fact checking to win their case.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 08:45 AM

I just looked anti-vax gifter Jim Carrey stupid cartoon, that he titled "Baby Snakes" and posted grossly false caricatures of minors based on despicable lies.

**** this clown, sue him.

acbytesla 23rd February 2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12611708)
I just looked anti-vax gifter Jim Carrey stupid cartoon, that he titled "Baby Snakes" and posted grossly false caricatures of minors based on despicable lies.

**** this clown, sue him.

Good luck on that.

What about Alex Jones?

CapelDodger 23rd February 2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12611360)
None of that had the slightest thing to do with what I wrote, although I absolutely appreciate someone from the minor colony of a second rate power lecturing us

I don't identify with my country of origin except in one inconsequential way (which, admittedly, won't seem inconsequential for the next few hours). Your effort to insult me through it reveals that you do identify with your country, which has been reduced to a laughing-stock by its ridiculous President. I much prefer my situation to yours.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 10:12 AM

Shocking to see how many grifters like The Root are missing from that list.

Those racists continue to heap scorn on teens just because of their race.

Disgusting

The Shrike 23rd February 2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 12611539)
A full list of the individuals and entities who will be receiving a letter from Sandmann’s attorneys is below:

Kinda bummed that I'm not on that list and still furious with the Covington chaperones who tolerated Sandmann's disrespect toward Phillips.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12611790)
Kinda bummed that I'm not on that list and still furious with the Covington chaperones who tolerated Sandmann's disrespect toward Phillips.

There was no disrespect and Phillips deserves nothing but pure unadulterated scorn.

Baylor 23rd February 2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12611796)
There was no disrespect and Phillips deserves nothing but pure unadulterated scorn.

Reality is irrelevant to these people.

ChrisBFRPKY 23rd February 2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12611790)
Kinda bummed that I'm not on that list and still furious with the Covington chaperones who tolerated Sandmann's disrespect toward Phillips.

Still following the false narrative that has been proven false as a fact.

I think you're just poking a bit of fun because I know you're better than this.

Chris B.

Meadmaker 23rd February 2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12611702)
There is no possible chance in hell these lawyers are doing this on anything other a contingency. Further, Bill Maher is not a Comedian, he is the host of an awful TV program on HBO that purports to cover current events (and a hell of a racist to boot but I digress). Fact checking and a retraction might be a defense to punitive damages but is not a defense to the defamation case. In other words, the plaintiffs do not have to show the lack of fact checking to win their case.

A huge part of the problem these days is that it's hard to tell the difference between journalism and entertainment, but I don't think Maher pretends to be anything but an entertainer.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker (Post 12612121)
A huge part of the problem these days is that it's hard to tell the difference between journalism and entertainment, but I don't think Maher pretends to be anything but an entertainer.

Accidentally was exposed to his show today where he was interviewing Adam Schiff, so, I hope he gets his racist, hypocritical ass nailed to the wall by the teens.

portlandatheist 23rd February 2019 05:38 PM

Does anybody know if any of the specific journalists at WaPo, NPR, NYT, et al lose their jobs over this? The only firing I know if is the Vulture writer that wished death upon Sandmann.

The Shrike 23rd February 2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY (Post 12612120)
Still following the false narrative that has been proven false as a fact.

What false narrative? It's still the case that as Phillips approached the Covington kids Sandmann wouldn't get out of his way and mocked Phillips with the dopey face to the delight of the other kids and the apparent blessing of the chaperones.

I've read nothing to discredit that narrative. What was revealed after the video went viral was that the Black Hebrews group had instigated a war of words with the Covington kids and that Phillips approached them rather than the other way around. It is definitely the case that the story originally accompanying the video that the kids sought out Phillips to mock him was false. Okay. I was glad to hear that because it restored a bit of my faith in humanity.

Despite that, however, Phillips was treated disrespectfully. Whether Sandmann was the worst offender, I don't know. What I do know – as an American, a parent, and a product of 12 years of Catholic schooling – is that there is no way in hell any of this would've happened had I been one of the chaperones. Every one of those kids and the Covington chaperones should be planning their next field trip around community service at a reservation of Phillips' choosing.

The Big Dog 23rd February 2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612213)
What false narrative? It's still the case that as Phillips approached the Covington kids Sandmann wouldn't get out of his way and mocked Phillips with the dopey face to the delight of the other kids and the apparent blessing of the chaperones.

I've read nothing to discredit that narrative. What was revealed after the video went viral was that the Black Hebrews group had instigated a war of words with the Covington kids and that Phillips approached them rather than the other way around. It is definitely the case that the story originally accompanying the video that the kids sought out Phillips to mock him was false. Okay. I was glad to hear that because it restored a bit of my faith in humanity.

Despite that, however, Phillips was treated disrespectfully. Whether Sandmann was the worst offender, I don't know. What I do know – as an American, a parent, and a product of 12 years of Catholic schooling – is that there is no way in hell any of this would've happened had I been one of the chaperones. Every one of those kids and the Covington chaperones should be planning their next field trip around community service at a reservation of Phillips' choosing.

wouldn't get out of his way... where do you think that Nathan was going other than to confront the kids for standing up to the actual racist hate group? Clearly you swallowed the race grift by Nathan and his grifter pals.

Nathan ought to go and scrub the graves of the dead servicemen whose honor he stole with his stolen valor lies.

portlandatheist 23rd February 2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker (Post 12611367)

Maybe WAPO, CNN, etc, could even pool their money together to provide a free ride scholarship to any school he is qualified to attend. That would be a pretty sweet deal for a 16 year old.

But this is America, so there has to be a multi million dollar lawsuit.

I was just thinking to myself that this would be a reasonable remedy, and in my mind, justice. A multi million dollar libel cases isn't the answer to this ***********.

rockinkt 23rd February 2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612213)
What false narrative? It's still the case that as Phillips approached the Covington kids Sandmann wouldn't get out of his way and mocked Phillips with the dopey face to the delight of the other kids and the apparent blessing of the chaperones.

I've read nothing to discredit that narrative. What was revealed after the video went viral was that the Black Hebrews group had instigated a war of words with the Covington kids and that Phillips approached them rather than the other way around. It is definitely the case that the story originally accompanying the video that the kids sought out Phillips to mock him was false. Okay. I was glad to hear that because it restored a bit of my faith in humanity.

Despite that, however, Phillips was treated disrespectfully. Whether Sandmann was the worst offender, I don't know. What I do know – as an American, a parent, and a product of 12 years of Catholic schooling – is that there is no way in hell any of this would've happened had I been one of the chaperones. Every one of those kids and the Covington chaperones should be planning their next field trip around community service at a reservation of Phillips' choosing.


Phillips was clearly the instigator and was certainly disrespectful in confronting the young boy and beating his drum in the kid's face. That would be the same as a Catholic getting into a non-believer's face and chanting Latin masses and shoving a crucifix in their face.
There was also lots of room to go around the youths and the young boy who was much smaller than him if that was truly is aim.
The young boy can clearly be seen trying to quiet another boy both with a word and hand gesture.
The look on his face was a studied attempt to appear casual and relaxed in the face of provocation and aggression. It is the look of a conscious attempt to appear relaxed while under pressure. I saw that look hundreds of times as a cop.

Phillips was clearly trying to provoke a response as he has spent a long time as a protestor and obviously wants attention to the point of lying about his background and actions on this and other occasions.

Lambchops 23rd February 2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12611520)
Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 11 and rule 12.

Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 11 and rule 12.

Meadmaker 23rd February 2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612213)
What false narrative? It's still the case that as Phillips approached the Covington kids Sandmann wouldn't get out of his way and mocked Phillips with the dopey face to the delight of the other kids and the apparent blessing of the chaperones.

That false narrative.

The OP of this thread pretty much parrots what news outlets were saying. Go through that OP and count as many false or misleading statements as you can. If you don't get to at least five, you aren't trying, or you were duped by the false narrative.

ChrisBFRPKY 23rd February 2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612213)
What false narrative? It's still the case that as Phillips approached the Covington kids Sandmann wouldn't get out of his way and mocked Phillips with the dopey face to the delight of the other kids and the apparent blessing of the chaperones.

I've read nothing to discredit that narrative. What was revealed after the video went viral was that the Black Hebrews group had instigated a war of words with the Covington kids and that Phillips approached them rather than the other way around. It is definitely the case that the story originally accompanying the video that the kids sought out Phillips to mock him was false. Okay. I was glad to hear that because it restored a bit of my faith in humanity.

Despite that, however, Phillips was treated disrespectfully. Whether Sandmann was the worst offender, I don't know. What I do know – as an American, a parent, and a product of 12 years of Catholic schooling – is that there is no way in hell any of this would've happened had I been one of the chaperones. Every one of those kids and the Covington chaperones should be planning their next field trip around community service at a reservation of Phillips' choosing.

I find myself wishing that Sandmann had a trombone to play.

Chris B.

Silly Green Monkey 23rd February 2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
Phillips was clearly the instigator and was certainly disrespectful in confronting the young boy and beating his drum in the kid's face. That would be the same as a Catholic getting into a non-believer's face and chanting Latin masses and shoving a crucifix in their face.
There was also lots of room to go around the youths and the young boy who was much smaller than him if that was truly is aim.
The young boy can clearly be seen trying to quiet another boy both with a word and hand gesture.
The look on his face was a studied attempt to appear casual and relaxed in the face of provocation and aggression. It is the look of a conscious attempt to appear relaxed while under pressure. I saw that look hundreds of times as a cop.

Phillips was clearly trying to provoke a response as he has spent a long time as a protestor and obviously wants attention to the point of lying about his background and actions on this and other occasions.

Young boy? Young boys are prepubescents. This was an old boy, almost a young man. It was a high school.

Lambchops 23rd February 2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey (Post 12612348)
Young boy? Young boys are prepubescents. This was an old boy, almost a young man. It was a high school.

Oh, but you see, teenage boys are only grown men if they have brown skin.

The Shrike 24th February 2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
Phillips was clearly the instigator and was certainly disrespectful in confronting the young boy and beating his drum in the kid's face.

Either you and I have seen different clips of the same event or those words do not mean what you think they mean.

Seriously, is there another clip I don't know about? Phillips' account was that during or on the heels of the Covington kids' dust-up with the Black Hebrews, he walked through the crowd drumming and singing. Everyone parted to let him pass but Sandmann did not. What we see in the clip begins at this point. Is this not what happened? If not, how do we know whatever else happened?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
The look on his face was a studied attempt to appear casual and relaxed in the face of provocation and aggression.

My eyes are audibly rolling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
Phillips was clearly trying to provoke a response

There's that word again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
. . . as he has spent a long time as a protestor

Arguably the most American thing someone can do. Go on . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
. . . and obviously wants attention

Another goody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12612293)
. . . to the point of lying about his background and actions on this and other occasions.

Wait, wait, wait – is this true or have you bought into the "stolen valor" bs? Again, if I'm mistaken I know someone will enlighten me, but the only thing I've read/heard from Phillips regarding his military background is a quote something like "I served in the US Army during the Vietnam conflict". Does he claim to be a Vietnam veteran? If so, I'm unaware of this. I know he seems to have spent more time in trouble than he did on duty, but was he dishonorably discharged? If not, then his claim is accurate, no?

And, because this is supposed to be a place where we practice critical thinking, let's acknowledge that if every ad hominem you think about Phillips were true, none of those things matter one iota in the facts of this case.

I have two important biases that color my interpretation of this case. First, I know how kids in Catholic schools are taught to treat other people – all other people, regardless of circumstance. Second, we have an abysmal history in this country of our treatment of Native peoples. This is why I so clearly disagree with you on interpretation of the clip. But I will happily amend my opinion should someone present to me some material facts to justify doing so. If such exist, I ain't seen 'em.

The Big Dog 24th February 2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12608499)
Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkp...ature=youtu.be

remember, leftists have declared that it is STUPID!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612553)
Either you and I have seen different clips of the same event or those words do not mean what you think they mean.

Seriously, is there another clip I don't know about? Phillips' account was that during or on the heels of the Covington kids' dust-up with the Black Hebrews, he walked through the crowd drumming and singing. Everyone parted to let him pass but Sandmann did not. What we see in the clip begins at this point. Is this not what happened? If not, how do we know whatever else happened?

A video is embedded above

shocked that by this time you do not know that Phillips account is a total con job.

You can see him directly confronting the kids who were only trying to drown out the actual hate group, the same hate group that Nathan and his miserable band of grifters were sticking up for.

applecorped 24th February 2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612553)
I ain't seen 'em.

On purpose apparently.

Meadmaker 24th February 2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612553)
Either you and I have seen different clips of the same event or those words do not mean what you think they mean.

Seriously, is there another clip I don't know about? Phillips' account was that during or on the heels of the Covington kids' dust-up with the Black Hebrews, he walked through the crowd drumming and singing. Everyone parted to let him pass but Sandmann did not. What we see in the clip begins at this point. Is this not what happened? If not, how do we know whatever else happened

If person A is standing in a place, and person B approaches person A, who would you describe as the instigator of the interaction?

Just in case it matters, add in the fact that person B has no specific destination in mind, person B had a path around person A. Oh, and throw a set of stairs in just for fun.

Chris_Halkides 24th February 2019 01:05 PM

A scholarship sounds about right to me, too
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker (Post 12611367)
I don't know whether it's good or bad from a legal perspective, but it's pretty powerful. It brought out at least one thing I hadn't seen before, which was Nick Sandmann telling one of his classmates to chill when he started getting into it with the Native American guy who was wearing a red hat. That guy was a pretty major league git, in my humble opinion, and Sandmann was cool.

SNIP

I think justice would be served if Anderson Cooper came on one night and said, "We need to begin tonight with an apology. CNN failed to do due diligence in investigating a story in January. As a result, we published some false information and many of our reporters said damaging things about him."

Maybe WAPO, CNN, etc, could even pool their money together to provide a free ride scholarship to any school he is qualified to attend. That would be a pretty sweet deal for a 16 year old.

But this is America, so there has to be a multi million dollar lawsuit.

Thank you for a very thoughtful post. I would add that Robby Soave also mentioned that Mr. Sandmann signaled to the other student to break it off with the Native American guy using all the profanity (I did not hear the student using any bad language). From my reading of the report, some of the chaperones tried to keep the students away from the Black Hebrew Israelites. I like your scholarship suggestion.

Hungry81 24th February 2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612553)
Either you and I have seen different clips of the same event or those words do not mean what you think they mean.



Seriously, is there another clip I don't know about? Phillips' account was that during or on the heels of the Covington kids' dust-up with the Black Hebrews, he walked through the crowd drumming and singing. Everyone parted to let him pass but Sandmann did not. What we see in the clip begins at this point. Is this not what happened? If not, how do we know whatever else happened?





My eyes are audibly rolling.





There's that word again.





Arguably the most American thing someone can do. Go on . . .





Another goody.





Wait, wait, wait – is this true or have you bought into the "stolen valor" bs? Again, if I'm mistaken I know someone will enlighten me, but the only thing I've read/heard from Phillips regarding his military background is a quote something like "I served in the US Army during the Vietnam conflict". Does he claim to be a Vietnam veteran? If so, I'm unaware of this. I know he seems to have spent more time in trouble than he did on duty, but was he dishonorably discharged? If not, then his claim is accurate, no?



And, because this is supposed to be a place where we practice critical thinking, let's acknowledge that if every ad hominem you think about Phillips were true, none of those things matter one iota in the facts of this case.



I have two important biases that color my interpretation of this case. First, I know how kids in Catholic schools are taught to treat other people – all other people, regardless of circumstance. Second, we have an abysmal history in this country of our treatment of Native peoples. This is why I so clearly disagree with you on interpretation of the clip. But I will happily amend my opinion should someone present to me some material facts to justify doing so. If such exist, I ain't seen 'em.

Its quite simple. Phillips is a proven liar. Phillips got up in Nicks face and lied about what happened. Phillips is as bad as smollett. Both should be criticised. Both tried to use MAGA to promote their own agenda and potentially destroy the lives of innocent people. Both have done more damage to their own purported cause than if they had done nothing. Both had the means and opportunity to do something positive about these issues, but instead chose to betray their alleged causes in the name of self interest and promotion. Why defend lying self promoting extreemists?

Regnad Kcin 24th February 2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12611969)
Reality is irrelevant to these people.

Trump supporters? Republicans? LSD trippers?

Foolmewunz 24th February 2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Shrike (Post 12612553)
Either you and I have seen different clips of the same event or those words do not mean what you think they mean.

Seriously, is there another clip I don't know about? Phillips' account was that during or on the heels of the Covington kids' dust-up with the Black Hebrews, he walked through the crowd drumming and singing. Everyone parted to let him pass but Sandmann did not. What we see in the clip begins at this point. Is this not what happened? If not, how do we know whatever else happened?

<snip>

You're relying on Phillips' account and it does not bear up to the videos available. He did not try to pass, he went right up to them and got in the kid's face. There was no reason to let him pass. Look at their location, there's nothing above them on the steps that he needs or wants to get to.

Look at the videos. The kids are certainly being disrespectful, perhaps based on bias or racism, but perhaps just being bravery-comes-in-crowds morons who think they're being edgy. But Phillips' poor people-reading skills and innate bias caused him to misread the situation and to assume Small Group of Black Brothers + Large Group of White Kids = Blacks being oppressed and possible violent attack imminent.

He was wrong. Like the maroon fundie who went to bring the words of Jeebus to the isolated islanders, he was filled with his own religious euphoria and was going to magically bring peace to the mall. The b.s. rhetoric pouring out of his mouth after the event plays well in various groups (tree huggers, new agers, Native American rights groups, Kevin Costner's house, etc....) but was pure nonsense. Nathan's a professional activist and his erroneous assumptions were based on that worldview.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-19, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.