International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Continuation Cancel culture IRL Part 2 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354396)

d4m10n 20th June 2022 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13834959)
Oh okay, the problem is that you don’t like free speech. Got it.

There are some things we should be free to say, which we still ought to refrain from saying on moral grounds.

For example, "mRNA vaccines do more harm than good."

For another example, "Women ought to be submissive to their husbands."

For yet another example, "Andy should be fired because of Danielle's tweet."

d4m10n 20th June 2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13835449)
According to you I only need to "Search the NYT article for the word "backlash" and there you go." those are your words - and like I said when I did such a search I found one use of the word backlash and that wasn't talking about any actual backlash but a venue's fear of a potential backlash.

That potential had already been actualized at the time of writing, since people had been publicly calling for the event to be canceled.

Is there some threshold the cancel culture warriors need to cross to count as "backlash" in your book? If so, that's fine, but we may well disagree.

d4m10n 20th June 2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyr_13 (Post 13835579)
Cancel a belligerent transphobe, that's 'Cancel Culture', cancel Disney, cancel books, follow through on violent threats, and that's...just Tuesday.

I'm not sure why you'd think that those latter examples don't count in the minds of anyone participating here.

Darat 21st June 2022 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13837789)
There are some things we should be free to say, which we still ought to refrain from saying on moral grounds.

...snip...

And who decides on what ought not to be said?

And if there is no consequences for "ought not" why shouldn't someone say the things you have decided shouldn't be said?

Darat 21st June 2022 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13837790)
That potential had already been actualized at the time of writing, since people had been publicly calling for the event to be canceled.

Is there some threshold the cancel culture warriors need to cross to count as "backlash" in your book? If so, that's fine, but we may well disagree.

Doesn't get past your dishonest answer, as I said we can see you moving those goalposts.

Darat 21st June 2022 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13837792)
I'm not sure why you'd think that those latter examples don't count in the minds of anyone participating here.

"latter" is not precise - which ones?

1)Cancel a belligerent transphobe
2) cancel Disney
3) cancel books
4)follow through on violent threats

Which are the latter examples you are referring to?

catsmate 21st June 2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13834945)
Okay here are just a handful of examples of backlash against the venue which presumably lead to the cancelation announcement yesterday.

:rolleyes:

wareyin 21st June 2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13838218)
Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13834945)
Okay here are just a handful of examples of backlash against the venue which presumably lead to the cancelation announcement yesterday.

:rolleyes:

What, you think it's bad form to assume your conclusion or something?

JoeMorgue 21st June 2022 09:20 AM

////

d4m10n 21st June 2022 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13838119)
Which are the latter examples you are referring to?

The last three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13838113)
And who decides on what ought not to be said?

Individual speakers have to decide for themselves. I'd encourage people to think twice before piling on to someone who is being publicly shamed, especially if all you have to go from is a tweet from a moral entrepreneurWP such as the one in the OP.

d4m10n 21st June 2022 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13838238)
What, you think it's bad form to assume your conclusion or something?

The venue explained their reasons in this post. They don't say exactly where the public "outrage and concern" is coming from, but it does appear to be a major factor in their decision making process.

d4m10n 21st June 2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13838239)
////

???

wareyin 21st June 2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13838401)
The venue explained their reasons in this post. They don't say exactly where the public "outrage and concern" is coming from, but it does appear to be a major factor in their decision making process.

They don't say, but you assume the cause anyway, and then use your assumption as proof that what you assume was the cause actually was the cause. Yay, who could argue with such logic?


eta: damn but they point out over and over that it's crappy music, the "artist" couldn't sell tickets based on the music, the "artist" hadn't earned the right to play their small community stage, and the event doesn't matter anyway. If this is the best you can find to prove how awful CANCEL CULTURE is, I'm underwhelmed

Darat 21st June 2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13838391)
The last three.

Individual speakers have to decide for themselves. I'd encourage people to think twice before piling on to someone who is being publicly shamed, especially if all you have to go from is a tweet from a moral entrepreneurWP such as the one in the OP.

You are now saying there is no ought not things to say.

d4m10n 21st June 2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13838447)
You are now saying there is no ought not things to say.

I would hope that we'd both agree that it is wrong to make demonstrably false statements which foreseeably lead to physical harm, e.g. "Ivermectin is safer and more effective against coronaviruses than mRNA vaccines."

We may well disagree on the underlying metaethics, but we should agree on the idea that people should feel morally obligated not to say such things, even when the state refuses to sanction them.

d4m10n 21st June 2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13838420)
eta: damn but they point out over and over that it's crappy music, the "artist" couldn't sell tickets based on the music, the "artist" hadn't earned the right to play their small community stage, and the event doesn't matter anyway.

These reasons all existed prior to the initial booking, except for the tickets bit which is impossible to know without surveying the ticket holders.

The only thing that obviously changed was the online outrage directed against the venue, characterized in some outlets as backlash.

Darat 22nd June 2022 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13838456)
These reasons all existed prior to the initial booking, except for the tickets bit which is impossible to know without surveying the ticket holders.

The only thing that obviously changed was the online outrage directed against the venue, characterized in some outlets as backlash.

But not in the one you claimed it did.

wareyin 22nd June 2022 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13838456)
These reasons all existed prior to the initial booking, except for the tickets bit which is impossible to know without surveying the ticket holders.

The only thing that obviously changed was the online outrage directed against the venue, characterized in some outlets as backlash.

Are you certain that the online outrage was the only thing that changed? Are you even certain that there was a significant backlash? Yeah, we have articles claiming that Market Hotel claimed there was, but judging by your selection of milquetoast tweets, where we know you were picking the absolute worst of the worst that you could find to prove your point, I'm not seeing it.

It's just as likely that the venue who admitted to booking the show as a stunt then realized they could make a bigger name for themselves by cancelling because of unspecified feelings of unsafeness in "the community". You know, another stunt. And then, folks like you with an ax to grind just...uncritically took them at face value because 'of course this thing that you haven't been able to describe or find good examples of is this huge existing and existential problem, and if you both assume that it is a problem and that this is an example of it then you can use it to prove that it happens'...ya know, the whole assuming the conclusion you've been caught doing already?

tyr_13 22nd June 2022 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13837792)
I'm not sure why you'd think that those latter examples don't count in the minds of anyone participating here.

...because I've read the thread?

People have variously argued that illegal actions are a different category, and that government actions are likewise not the phenomena under discussion.

It would not surprise me in the least if on searching back you specifically argued one or more of those points.

d4m10n 22nd June 2022 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyr_13 (Post 13839008)
People have variously argued that illegal actions are a different category, and that government actions are likewise not the phenomena under discussion.

I'd say it's generally worthwhile to distinguish between problems which can be fixed by changing policy and problems which can really only be fixed by changing minds. The various (attempted) cancellations I've talked about fall into the second category, since there isn't a conceivable policy change anywhere near the Overton window which would prevent them from happening.

ETA: Cancelling Disney is classic conservative cancel culture, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that one before.

ETA2: Cancelling books (e.g. American Dirt) strikes me as a fine example of cancel culture as well.

d4m10n 22nd June 2022 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13838845)
It's just as likely that the venue who admitted to booking the show as a stunt then realized they could make a bigger name for themselves by cancelling because of unspecified feelings of unsafeness in "the community". You know, another stunt.

I'd say my explanation is significantly more straightforward: Some people got upset and asked the venue to cancel the concert, and (after a bit of hemming and hawing) the venue capitulated to their demands.

Graham2001 22nd June 2022 11:21 PM

Found this article which is describing online bullying but the person who wrote it called it 'Canceling'


Quote:

Last week, I watched my teen daughter get cancelled on Snapchat in real-time. It was savage, brutal, and heartbreaking.

Friendships ended in a matter of minutes.

A mother watching the pack mentality as girls were added to the group chat to participate in a public verbal bashing. Some of these girls she barely knew.

Other girls stuck in the middle, not wanting to support my daughter in case the same thing happened to them.

It was vile, appalling, and honestly made me despair for this generation that we are raising who seem completely incapable of communicating with each other in person. What should have been a private conversation between two friends sorting something out became a very public ambush.

And why you ask?

All because of third-hand 'evidence' that my daughter had said something about another girl.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/...hat/ar-AAYKJvc

Darat 23rd June 2022 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham2001 (Post 13839471)
Found this article which is describing online bullying but the person who wrote it called it 'Canceling'





https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/...hat/ar-AAYKJvc

If it is about online bullying what relevance does it have to the topic of this thread?

wareyin 23rd June 2022 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13839366)
I'd say my explanation is significantly more straightforward: Some people got upset and asked the venue to cancel the concert, and (after a bit of hemming and hawing) the venue capitulated to their demands.

Is anyone surprised that you think your explanation, which requires your assumption to be true and then uses that presumed truth as evidence that it is true, is the correct one?

Be honest, had you heard of John Hinckley's "music" or the Market Hotel before the Market Hotel's stunt cancellation brought them to your attention?

johnny karate 23rd June 2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13839327)
I'd say it's generally worthwhile to distinguish between problems which can be fixed by changing policy and problems which can really only be fixed by changing minds.

What’s the problem here that you think needs to be fixed?

d4m10n 23rd June 2022 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13839610)
Is anyone surprised that you think your explanation, which requires your assumption to be true and then uses that presumed truth as evidence that it is true, is the correct one?

Why should anyone care if people are surprised? Here is what happened, step-by-step:
  1. Venue sets up gig
  2. Venue sells out gig
  3. Venue pressured to cancel gig
  4. Venue cancels gig
This is textbook cancel culture in action, even if the protagonist is singularly unsympathetic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13839658)
What’s the problem here that you think needs to be fixed?

Ask the people who paid to see the concert.

d4m10n 23rd June 2022 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13822968)
Have you checked to see whether the podcast in question actually got cancelled subsequent to this prediction?

https://twitter.com/replyall/status/1526981831748468740

Today was the last day of Reply All, a massively popular show which brought joy to many listeners until the cancel culture fair reckoning brought it down.

https://twitter.com/newsmanual/statu...76089962876928

johnny karate 23rd June 2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13839960)
Ask the people who paid to see the concert.

The problem that needs fixing is that a concert was cancelled?

Concerts get cancelled all the time for a variety of reasons. How many concerts do you think were cancelled during the first two years of the pandemic? (Hint: A lot.) Most emotionally-healthy adults accept this minor disappointment and move on with their lives.

Why do you view this as a problem that needs fixing?

johnny karate 23rd June 2022 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13839963)
Today was the last day of Reply All, a massively popular show which brought joy to many listeners until the cancel culture fair reckoning brought it down.

https://twitter.com/newsmanual/statu...76089962876928

Luckily, the joy we get from laughing at people emotionally invested in the existence of a podcast will last us a lifetime.

wareyin 24th June 2022 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13839960)
Why should anyone care if people are surprised? Here is what happened, step-by-step:
  1. Venue sets up gig
  2. Venue sells out gig
  3. Venue pressured to cancel gig
  4. Venue cancels gig
This is textbook cancel culture in action, even if the protagonist is singularly unsympathetic.

Have you, perhaps, heard that correlation does not equal causation? Is there some reason you're ignoring that by cancelling the gig Market Hotel got massive amounts of free publicity and the fact that that certainly gives them just as much if not more motive to cancel than a handful of tweets?

Will d4m10n continue to assume his conclusions? Stay tuned!

johnny karate 24th June 2022 07:01 AM

Even putting the causation error aside and assuming the reasoning is correct, it’s still not clear what the problem is.

What’s being described is a scenario in which a venue scheduled an event, a bunch of people said “We don’t like that and you shouldn’t do it”, and the venue said “Okay then, we won’t do it”.

What is the specific problem with that?

wareyin 24th June 2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13840277)
Even putting the causation error aside and assuming the reasoning is correct, it’s still not clear what the problem is.

What’s being described is a scenario in which a venue scheduled an event, a bunch of people said “We don’t like that and you shouldn’t do it”, and the venue said “Okay then, we won’t do it”.

What is the specific problem with that?

I think it's something to do with a podcast or something?

Or d4m10n's previous take that popular performers should never be held accountable for their actions....no, wait, Hinckley isn't a popular performer.

Wait...maybe it's mean tweets?

Um, yeah...I'm struggling to figure out what problem d4m10n is trying to bring out attention to, as well.

tyr_13 24th June 2022 07:51 AM

Even big law firms like Kirkland and Ellis get in on the cancellations... https://abovethelaw.com/2022/06/paul...e-case-may-be/

(No, it isn't cancel culture like Clement claims and the article is very snarky about how stupid the claim is.)

d4m10n 25th June 2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13839966)
Concerts get cancelled all the time for a variety of reasons. How many concerts do you think were cancelled during the first two years of the pandemic?

Analogizing cancel culture to an historically disruptive pandemic might not be quite the own you think it is. I'm happy to concede that both forms of virality need to be mitigated and minimized.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13839966)
Why do you view this as a problem that needs fixing?

Any time people are denied the opportunity to enjoy a performance, speech, podcast, film, book, etc. they are denied at least some of the benefits of living in a free marketplace of ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13840222)
Is there some reason you're ignoring that by cancelling the gig Market Hotel got massive amounts of free publicity and the fact that that certainly gives them just as much if not more motive to cancel than a handful of tweets?

First off, it's silly to assume that tweets are the only feedback in play here just because I scraped Twitter rather than Instagram—one of those sites is readily searchable, the other is not.

Secondly, the venue knew exactly what they were up against:
https://twitter.com/markethotelnyc/s...70317061480453

Finally, the venue explained their actions fairly clearly in the above-linked Instagram post. "We aren't living in that kind of free country anymore..." because of a cultural shift in favor of deplatforming those whom we find offensive, even when their performance "harms no one in any practical way."

wareyin 27th June 2022 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13841519)
First off, it's silly to assume that tweets are the only feedback in play here just because I scraped Twitter rather than Instagram—one of those sites is readily searchable, the other is not.

I never said those tweets were the only feedback, just that they were both milqetoast and also the absolute worst that a motivated searcher such as yourself was able to come up with. If someone is not already convinced of your point, the fact that you can't actually find anything worse than 'you shouldn't do that' from a couple of people with 17 followers means that this supposed "backlash" was weak sauce indeed, and far more likely to be an excuse for the venue to get real publicity with a stunt cancellation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13841519)
Secondly, the venue knew exactly what they were up against:
https://twitter.com/markethotelnyc/s...70317061480453

Yes, the venue knew that there was a large enough segment of the populace who has uncritically bought into the "cancel culture" narrative and would eat up their stunt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13841519)
Finally, the venue explained their actions fairly clearly in the above-linked Instagram post. "We aren't living in that kind of free country anymore..." because of a cultural shift in favor of deplatforming those whom we find offensive, even when their performance "harms no one in any practical way."

So, the venue that got a metric **** ton of free publicity for cancelling a show that they didn't really want to hold anyway gave lip-service to how "not free" they were to make a name for themselves by cancelling? I'm sure that you find that convincing because you have already assumed that cancel culture is real, and an existential crisis on par with a virus that killed over a million Americans, but I've already pointed out that assuming your conclusion is a bad way to argue this point.

And anyway, over in the Roe V Wade Strikedown thread, you implied that the only definition or usage of "cancel culture" was "trying to get someone fired"....which this isn't that. Why, it's almost like "cancel culture" is just another right wing faux freakout nebulous term where the word can mean anything you want it to and nothing you don't, with that definition changing depending on your position at the moment. Like CRT or "gay agenda".

Darat 27th June 2022 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13842391)
...snip...

Why, it's almost like "cancel culture" is just another right wing faux freakout nebulous term where the word can mean anything you want it to and nothing you don't, with that definition changing depending on your position at the moment. Like CRT or "gay agenda".

I think more akin to "political correctness", they used all the same whining and whinging about that - "oh he was fired because he was politically incorrect", "oh we can't have Christmas because it is politically incorrect" and all that crap.

d4m10n 27th June 2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13842391)
Why, it's almost like "cancel culture" is just another right wing faux freakout nebulous term where the word can mean anything you want it to and nothing you don't, with that definition changing depending on your position at the moment.

The phrase wasn't invented by right wingers, as I've already explained in the first iteration of this thread back when we were still hashing out definitions. (You might want to click on the linked definition as well, let us know if it's too nebulous.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13842391)
And anyway, over in the Roe V Wade Strikedown thread, you implied that the only definition or usage of "cancel culture" was "trying to get someone fired"....which this isn't that.

If you're a musician performing gigs, canceling those gigs is effectively ending your musical career.

wareyin 28th June 2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13842963)
The phrase wasn't invented by right wingers, as I've already explained in the first iteration of this thread back when we were still hashing out definitions. (You might want to click on the linked definition as well, let us know if it's too nebulous.)

Is there some reason I should find one particular definition out of the many contradictory definitions you use to be compelling? Or is that just the one that fits best now but we'll completely ignore it when it comes to the next example you provide?

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13842963)
If you're a musician performing gigs, canceling those gigs is effectively ending your musical career.

You've never been a musician, have you?

And...gigs? You showed one, single. Kinda like a sick day being used to claim a career has ended.

d4m10n 29th June 2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13843288)
Is there some reason I should find one particular definition out of the many contradictory definitions you use to be compelling?

You are free to provide a definition which you find preferable, and I'll try to remember which one you are using.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13843288)
Or is that just the one that fits best now but we'll completely ignore it when it comes to the next example you provide?

Every example I've mentioned was either an attempt to deplatform a known public figure (traditional "cancel culture" in the dictionary sense) or else an attempt to turn a private figure into a limited public figure for the sake of viral public shaming (e.g. OP).

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13843288)
And...gigs?

At least three cities were planned.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/john-hi...el-1235046409/

wareyin 30th June 2022 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13844517)
You are free to provide a definition which you find preferable, and I'll try to remember which one you are using.

Why should I have to provide a definition for a thing you're trying and failing to make a case for? It's your push, you have to define it. The problem is that if you stick to one definition, it appears the whole house of cards falls apart. If you use it the oh so scary term in many different ways, even if they contradict what you said before, it appears that your ephemeral phantasm just might possibly be real.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13844517)
Every example I've mentioned was either an attempt to deplatform a known public figure (traditional "cancel culture" in the dictionary sense) or else an attempt to turn a private figure into a limited public figure for the sake of viral public shaming (e.g. OP).

This "deplatforming" you speak of...that's your complaint that venues aren't forced to host events that they don't want to host, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13844517)
At least three cities were planned.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/john-hi...el-1235046409/

Dang, that mass public movement you speak of actually caused events to be cancelled before Fox News or anybody made the events public? It's so massive that cancel culture now warps time and space to retroactively apply?

johnny karate 30th June 2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13841519)
Analogizing cancel culture to an historically disruptive pandemic might not be quite the own you think it is. I'm happy to concede that both forms of virality need to be mitigated and minimized.

I wasn’t attempting to analogize anything, or attempt an own. I’m merely pointing out that the cancellation of a concert is neither uncommon nor a tragedy. It’s nothing more than a minor inconvenience that occasionally happens in life.

Quote:

Any time people are denied the opportunity to enjoy a performance, speech, podcast, film, book, etc. they are denied at least some of the benefits of living in a [url="https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mill-moral-political/#FreExp"]free marketplace of ideas
That would only apply if the podcasters or performers in question were being prevented from expressing their ideas. They’re not. They have the exact same freedom to express themselves that I have, someone who has never had a podcast or been booked in a concert venue.

Quote:

Finally, the venue explained their actions fairly clearly in the above-linked Instagram post. "We aren't living in that kind of free country anymore..." because of a cultural shift in favor of deplatforming those whom we find offensive, even when their performance "harms no one in any practical way."
Arguing that a performance some people find offensive harms no one but cancelling that performance does cause harm is not an argument that can be made while retaining any degree of credibility.

smartcooky 30th June 2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13841519)
Analogizing cancel culture to an historically disruptive pandemic might not be quite the own you think it is. I'm happy to concede that both forms of virality need to be mitigated and minimized.

Any time people are denied the opportunity to enjoy a performance, speech, podcast, film, book, etc. they are denied at least some of the benefits of living in a free marketplace of ideas.

First off, it's silly to assume that tweets are the only feedback in play here just because I scraped Twitter rather than Instagram—one of those sites is readily searchable, the other is not.

Secondly, the venue knew exactly what they were up against:
https://twitter.com/markethotelnyc/s...70317061480453

Finally, the venue explained their actions fairly clearly in the above-linked Instagram post. "We aren't living in that kind of free country anymore..." because of a cultural shift in favor of deplatforming those whom we find offensive, even when their performance "harms no one in any practical way."


You still, after all this time, do not seem to get the fact that rights and freedoms apply to everyone.

If I own a venue, I have the right to decide who does and who does not get to use MY venue. Furthermore, not only do I have the right to not need to justify to anyone why I won't let some group or organization use my venue, I also have the right to be unfair and inconsistent in what I decide.

I will let an Antifa group use my venue, but not a neo-Nazi group.
I will let a pro-abortion rights group use my venue, but not an anti abortion group.
I will let a pride group use my venue but not an anti-LGBTQ group
Oh, and Peter Boghossian gets nowhere near my venue for any reason

I have the right to have the things being available in my venue reflect my philosophy and beliefs. These are my inalienable rights... My Venue, My Choice!

d4m10n 30th June 2022 03:54 PM

“F*** Diego. I love cancel culture.”
 
Canceled at 17 via The Cut.

Some replies:
https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...e-rape-culture

https://slate.com/business/2022/06/d...-unpacked.html

https://www.gawker.com/media/new-yor...led-teen-story

d4m10n 30th June 2022 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13845482)
If I own a venue, I have the right to decide who does and who does not get to use MY venue. Furthermore, not only do I have the right to not need to justify to anyone why I won't let some group or organization use my venue, I also have the right to be unfair and inconsistent in what I decide.

For the sake of clarity, can you please quote the thing that I said which denied such rights?

ETA: You're talking about legal rights, right?

d4m10n 30th June 2022 08:35 PM

One more June cancellation, in just under the wire:

https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphi...d_is_for_sale/

https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphi...now_dissolved/

Still trying to find a comprehensive write-up as to how the place imploded after the workers rose up.

smartcooky 30th June 2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13845491)
For the sake of clarity, can you please quote the thing that I said which denied such rights?

Its not just one thing, its the general tone of your posts. You have been critical of the de-platforming of speakers and performers by the venue or owners of the venues at which they were going to perform.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13845491)
ETA: You're talking about legal rights, right?

Is there any other kind?

Dr. Keith 30th June 2022 10:42 PM

More cc in real life, well, animated real life:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...04045.html?amp

johnny karate 1st July 2022 04:11 AM

For the tl;dr crowd: Teenage boy shared a nude photo of his underage girlfriend with his buddies and was subsequently shunned at his high school when word got out. For some reason, the article - and presumably d4m10n - wants us to feel bad for the boy, who not only engaged in a disgusting violation of trust and privacy, but also almost certainly broke the law. No concern is expressed for the girl who was violated.

“Cancel culture” hand-wringers seem to choose their examples like Trump chose cabinet members. Only the Very Best People.

johnny karate 1st July 2022 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13845491)
For the sake of clarity, can you please quote the thing that I said which denied such rights?

ETA: You're talking about legal rights, right?

Great, we’ve established the venue was within their rights to cancel the concert.

What’s the problem, then?

d4m10n 1st July 2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13845680)
You have been critical of the de-platforming of speakers and performers by the venue or owners of the venues at which they were going to perform.

I certainly have. Allowing those speakers and performers to go forward would have contributed to a more robust free marketplace of arts and ideas, a social goal worth pursuing in my estimation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13845680)
Is there any other kind?

Many people (such as those who drafted the Declaration of Independence which will be celebrated this weekend) seem to believe that rights exist in something like a platonic realm. I hope scientific skeptics can avoid this pitfall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13845828)
Great, we’ve established the venue was within their rights to cancel the concert.

This isn't the politics forum, it's the social issues forum. Legal rights are not dispositive here.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.