International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Continuation Cancel culture IRL Part 2 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354396)

catsmate 5th November 2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13936525)
Sure thing. Tell me what kind of intolerance you are hoping to perform and we'll see if Popper's argument actually support it.

:rolleyes:
That would be 'no' then.

catsmate 5th November 2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulliver Foyle (Post 13937937)
Just as the right only care about free speech when its their speech being ignored. When they block evrrybody else from speaking we're supposed to just accept it and "move on".

Indeed, just look at Musk.

d4m10n 14th November 2022 11:28 AM

Mike Pesca (formerly of and arguably cancelled by Slate) has a fun new segment in his new podcast called "cancel court."

This week's case is that of Kyrie Irving:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGist/com...ience_edition/

(Starts around 2½ minutes into the show.)

johnny karate 14th November 2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13944047)
Mike Pesca (formerly of and arguably cancelled by Slate) has a fun new segment in his new podcast called "cancel court."

This week's case is that of Kyrie Irving:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGist/com...ience_edition/

(Starts around 2½ minutes into the show.)

I don't have time to listen to a whole podcast. Can you let me know the time marker where they explain why private organizations shouldn't be allowed to discipline employees who engage in brand-damaging conduct?

d4m10n 14th November 2022 04:43 PM

Why would you assume they did that?

d4m10n 14th November 2022 06:45 PM

Have a listen for at least three meaningful arguments, none of which fit your assumptions.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

johnny karate 14th November 2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13944412)
Have a listen for at least three meaningful arguments, none of which fit your assumptions.

“Listen to these people I agree with talk for 40 minutes” isn’t as appealing an offer as you might think it is.

d4m10n 15th November 2022 05:57 AM

"segment" ≠ "show"

wareyin 15th November 2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13944412)

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

How's about you present these "meaningful arguments" yourself, rather than expecting everybody else to go slog through a 40 minute podcast to find them?

Or is this just your typical spam?

catsmate 15th November 2022 12:59 PM

So, does Missouri's new law to ban books quality as "cancel culture"?

Shalamar 16th November 2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13945036)
So, does Missouri's new law to ban books quality as "cancel culture"?

No. Only ‘libs’ can cancel.

d4m10n 16th November 2022 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13944705)
How's about you present these "meaningful arguments" yourself, rather than expecting everybody else to go slog through a 40 minute podcast to find them?

The segment only lasts a few minutes, and I've already told you where it begins. Have a listen, or don't. :D

wareyin 16th November 2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13945809)
The segment only lasts a few minutes, and I've already told you where it begins. Have a listen, or don't. :D

Ah, so content free spam promotion it was!

catsmate 16th November 2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shalamar (Post 13945777)
No. Only ‘libs’ can cancel.

So it seems.

d4m10n 16th November 2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13945841)
Ah, so content free spam promotion it was!

Plenty of content for those who care to listen.

"He who has ears, let him hear."

johnny karate 16th November 2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13946359)

I created a YouTube video explaining why I won't listen to some random podcast that I'd like you to watch.

d4m10n 16th November 2022 07:32 PM

Happy to have a look.

wareyin 17th November 2022 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13946359)

If you can't summarize the 40 minute podcast, or even describe the arguments made, you give no one a reason to actually watch/listen to the latest thing you're just spamming links to.

For all we can tell you didn't even consume this podcast, but are hoping to have others do so and come back and explain it to you. It certainly wouldn't be the first time you've linked to material you hadn't read and changed your tune once we explained what your link said.

d4m10n 17th November 2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13946717)
If you can't summarize the 40 minute podcast, or even describe the arguments made, you give no one a reason to actually watch/listen to the latest thing you're just spamming links to.

Once again, a "segment" is not an entire "podcast" or "show," it is but a portion thereof.

The "cancel court" segments typically last between 10 and 15 minutes, and I'm going to keep posting them here whether you like it or not, since they are definitely on topic.

On that note, here's another episode of Cancel Court, this time about "whether former New York Times Op-Ed page editor James Bennet was canceled or not..."

https://twitter.com/D4M10N/status/1593394392928231426

johnny karate 17th November 2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13947212)
Once again, a "segment" is not an entire "podcast" or "show," it is but a portion thereof.

The "cancel court" segments typically last between 10 and 15 minutes, and I'm going to keep posting them here whether you like it or not, since they are definitely on topic.

On that note, here's another episode of Cancel Court, this time about "whether former New York Times Op-Ed page editor James Bennet was canceled or not..."

Good news, everyone. You don't have to listen to a podcast to know if James Bennet was "cancelled". You can just do a quick Google search to find out that he's still a working journalist. He wasn't "cancelled". He's fine.

d4m10n 17th November 2022 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13947281)
He wasn't "cancelled". He's fine.

If you think "cancelled" requires utter destitution and perpetual unemployment, you aren't using the term correctly.

wareyin 18th November 2022 05:54 AM

Quote:

Is this supposed to mean something? You're not posting a link to a segment, you're posting a link to a podcast. That podcast is 40 minutes, and you, the advertiser, seem to have no idea what was said in the podcast. This gives no one else a reason to slog through it.

Quote:

How do we know they're on topic? How do you know they're on topic? You seem to have no idea what is said in these links you're spamming us with.

Quote:

Oh, look, d4m10n is now spamming links to his twitter feed while claiming it's a podcast.

johnny karate 18th November 2022 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13947310)
If you think "cancelled" requires utter destitution and perpetual unemployment, you aren't using the term correctly.

Then all your establishing is that "cancelling" is no big deal. Lives and careers aren't destroyed. People just get new jobs and life goes on. It seems fairly mundane actually, and not very useful in the service of convincing people "cancel culture" is this terrible scourge that threatens us all.

johnny karate 19th November 2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13947665)
Then all your establishing is that "cancelling" is no big deal. Lives and careers aren't destroyed. People just get new jobs and life goes on. It seems fairly mundane actually, and not very useful in the service of convincing people "cancel culture" is this terrible scourge that threatens us all.

*you’re

Dammnit.

d4m10n 19th November 2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13947665)
People just get new jobs and life goes on. It seems fairly mundane actually, and not very useful in the service of convincing people "cancel culture" is this terrible scourge that threatens us all.

I don't recall claiming anything about a "terrible scourge" but possibly I'm misremembering. I would say that sometimes cancellations go too far and have rather undesirable results, such as when Gimlet lost their flagship podcast following the public shaming of two of its main figures, or when Slate lost its daily news podcast, or when Gelato Mio was ratings bombed by angry skeptics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13947563)
How do you know they're on topic?

I listen to them. You might try it, sometime; the link I posted earlier should take you to exactly the starting point.

smartcooky 19th November 2022 05:31 PM

*** checking in to see what is happening in this thread ***

Same old same old. People still bitching about "cancel culture"; something that doesn't really exist except in the minds of social justice warriors and other salty types.

Nothing new to see here then...

johnny karate 19th November 2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13948737)
I don't recall claiming anything about a "terrible scourge" but possibly I'm misremembering. I would say that sometimes cancellations go too far and have rather undesirable results, such as when Gimlet lost their flagship podcast following the public shaming of two of its main figures, or when Slate lost its daily news podcast, or when Gelato Mio was ratings bombed by angry skeptics.

What’s the criteria for determining how and when “cancellations” go to far? And who gets to make that determination?

smartcooky 19th November 2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13948802)
What’s the criteria for determining how and when “cancellations” go to far?

They make it up as they go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny karate (Post 13948802)
And who gets to make that determination?

The vested interests.

tyr_13 20th November 2022 10:38 AM

'Cancel Culture' is failing to get someone ousted when publishers don't want to work with you for being a bigot. 'Free speech' is getting paid to write things others don't want to buy.

catsmate 20th November 2022 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13948766)
*** checking in to see what is happening in this thread ***

Same old same old. People still bitching about "cancel culture"; something that doesn't really exist except in the minds of social justice warriors and other salty types.

Nothing new to see here then...

And studiously avoiding certain matters.

smartcooky 20th November 2022 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13949153)
And studiously avoiding certain matters.

Indeed, they are mostly OK with the "right" people being "cancelled", just as long as they can continue to scream into the void about the "wrong" people being "cancelled".

Shalamar 20th November 2022 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13949249)
Indeed, they are mostly OK with the "right" left people being "cancelled", just as long as they can continue to scream into the void about the "wrong" right people being "cancelled".

Fixed that for you.

smartcooky 20th November 2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shalamar (Post 13949416)
Fixed that for you.

Correction accepted! :thumbsup:

wareyin 21st November 2022 08:37 AM

Quote:

Oh, goody, we're back to 'd4m10n believes podcasts should continue to be made whether or not the podcast personnel can continue to work together or whether or not the audience has rejected the podcast' as examples of cancel culture having run amock.

Quote:

I listen to them. You might try it, sometime; the link I posted earlier should take you to exactly the starting point.

Your inability to articulate what it in them or why anyone else would care to hear them doesn't demonstrate that you listen to them. Or, perhaps you 'don't recall' what's in them as you 'don't recall' any other part of the discussion? Either way...spamming a podcast is going to get you the same interest the spam emails I get every day get.

d4m10n 25th November 2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13949785)
Your inability to articulate what it in them or why anyone else would care to hear them doesn't demonstrate that you listen to them. Or, perhaps you 'don't recall' what's in them as you 'don't recall' any other part of the discussion?

Or, perhaps it is too much effort to summarize three different people giving three different arguments from three different perspectives when they don't even bother to take turns in a formalized Oxford style debate. I get that you're not going to listen, but you've not made a persuasive argument against posting links to the "cancel court" segment since it's directly on topic here.

On that note, here is the next one:
https://player.fm/series/not-even-ma...ana-wen?t=1890

It's about Dr. Leana Wen this time.

d4m10n 25th November 2022 10:22 PM

Speaking of podcasts about cancel culture, here are a few audio segments from The New Yorker:
https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/th...of-free-speech

(I've only heard the first one so far.)

wareyin 28th November 2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13953259)
Or, perhaps it is too much effort to summarize three different people giving three different arguments from three different perspectives when they don't even bother to take turns in a formalized Oxford style debate. I get that you're not going to listen, but you've not made a persuasive argument against posting links to the "cancel court" segment since it's directly on topic here..

Wait, I didn't convince a spammer to stop spamming by pointing out that spamming links won't get people to go to them? Color me shocked! Why, spammers are usually known to be rational people who don't post annoying ads over and over again! :rolleyes:

d4m10n 28th November 2022 07:48 AM

Not sure why anyone would think an audio segment about cancellation is spam in a discussion thread about cancellation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The discussion about Dr. Wen seemed particularly on point.

wareyin 28th November 2022 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13954731)
Not sure why anyone would think an audio segment about cancellation is spam in a discussion thread about cancellation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The discussion about Dr. Wen seemed particularly on point.

How do we know what it's about? You, the one spamming us with the links, seem unable to describe the points made in the podcast you're spamming us with.

d4m10n 29th November 2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13954761)
How do we know what it's about?

Just have a listen. The intro to "cancel court" pretty much explains the concept of the segment in around 15 seconds.

wareyin 30th November 2022 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13955766)
Just have a listen. The intro to "cancel court" pretty much explains the concept of the segment in around 15 seconds.

Spammer continues to attempt to get people to listen to a podcast he can't give the details on, explain any points made, or give any other reason to listen to it other than because the spammer himself recommends it.

:rolleyes:

d4m10n 30th November 2022 07:21 AM

ETA: For the audio skeptical, here is a discussion of Wen's cancellation in print.

wareyin 30th November 2022 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13956087)

Probably because you just post links (to your twitter, which then links somewhere else...) and cajole people to go there.

d4m10n 30th November 2022 07:41 AM

See #2485 for a direct link.

pgwenthold 30th November 2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 13956087)

Because it's a "discussion thread" and not a "post links to videos without discussion" thread.

If you don't have anything to say about it, why are you posting it as part of a "discussion"?

Lplus 30th November 2022 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgwenthold (Post 13956104)
Because it's a "discussion thread" and not a "post links to videos without discussion" thread.

If you don't have anything to say about it, why are you posting it as part of a "discussion"?

I've read the link to a written discussion of the subject in post #2492. I think it's a perfect example of cancel culture - what do you think?

wareyin 30th November 2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lplus (Post 13956182)
I've read the link to a written discussion of the subject in post #2492. I think it's a perfect example of cancel culture - what do you think?

Another person who is unable to describe any of the points made in the podcast tries unsuccessfully to convince people to read/listen to the spammed article by...not being able to give anyone a reason to read/listen to the article other than that it fits your prejudices.

Lplus 30th November 2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareyin (Post 13956190)
Another person who is unable to describe any of the points made in the podcast tries unsuccessfully to convince people to read/listen to the spammed article by...not being able to give anyone a reason to read/listen to the article other than that it fits your prejudices.

How do you know it fits my or anyone elses' prejudices if you haven't watched/read anything about it?

wareyin 30th November 2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lplus (Post 13956200)
How do you know it fits my or anyone elses' prejudices if you haven't watched/read anything about it?

Because....you said it did.

eta: Read the thread. There isn't even a consensus on what cancel culture is, whether it's a new phenomenon, or what counts. That you think this spammed link is a perfect example of something shows that you are already prejudiced to believe that cancel culture exists, and that you know what counts as cancel culture.

Elaedith 30th November 2022 09:37 AM

Brilliant Reith lecture on freedom of speech by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I think this is available outside the UK.