International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency: Part 28 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351898)

Bob001 7th June 2021 08:12 AM

The Trump Presidency: Part 28
 
Mod InfoThis is a continuation from here. Feel free to quote posts in the old thread. Thanks.
Posted By:xjx388


Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501109)
*Shrugs* Blacks are on average more religious than white people in the US, but they ain't in bed with the GOP.
.....

"Religious" covers a lot of ground. You can have faith in a Supreme Being and live according to your faith's core principles without giving up reason and judgment. The evangelicals are a small subset of "religious."

To digress, Stephen Colbert had a fascinating interview a few weeks ago with Francis Collins, the head of the NIH. He talked about how he reconciles being one of the world's leading scientists, as he is, with being an evangelical Christian, as he also is. Religious doesn't have to mean crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpCuhIoJSXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi5Uf-Cr73U

JoeMorgue 7th June 2021 08:24 AM

Crazy you've figured out a way to switch on and off is still crazy.

If I think I'm Napoleon but still manage to hold down a job as a scientist, the idea that I'm Napoleon didn't magically become less crazy.

ponderingturtle 7th June 2021 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13499208)
That's another argument for rank-choice voting. To take an extreme example, in 2016 Trump was winning early primaries with around 20% of the vote because votes were split among 16 candidates. If the 80% of Repubs who didn't want him could have listed second, third etc. choices to be tabulated until someone won a majority, Trump would have been wiped out. If primaries today favor the extremists, rank-choice voting would support the moderates.

Except he did even better in ranked choice voting as he was many people's second or third choice.

zorro99 7th June 2021 09:24 AM

Latest
 
‘The guy is NUTS’: Viewers stunned as Trump goes off on ‘insane’ Fox Business rant about fake Facebook ballot lockboxes

Matthew ChapmanJune 07, 2021

During a Fox Business interview with Stuart Varney on Monday, former President Donald Trump pushed a new conspiracy that Facebook paid hundreds of millions for "phony lockboxes" that accounted for "96 percent Biden votes," adding that, "They were like just dumping ballots, it was a phony deal!"

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-faceb...ony-lockboxes/

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorro99 (Post 13501357)
‘The guy is NUTS’: Viewers stunned as Trump goes off on ‘insane’ Fox Business rant about fake Facebook ballot lockboxes

Matthew ChapmanJune 07, 2021

During a Fox Business interview with Stuart Varney on Monday, former President Donald Trump pushed a new conspiracy that Facebook paid hundreds of millions for "phony lockboxes" that accounted for "96 percent Biden votes," adding that, "They were like just dumping ballots, it was a phony deal!"

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-faceb...ony-lockboxes/

Not only is Trump nuts, but the people who follow him are nuts, too. Not clinically nuts like he is, but nuts in the common vernacular sense. Nuts and/or stupid and/or just despicable, self-serving SOBs like Cruz and McConnell et al.

Ladewig 7th June 2021 10:08 AM

Scotch tape on the tie.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...e529ac2b4f.jpg

That’s the guy who understands image.

ETA
I think the weird leaning thing might be related to the lifts he wears in his shoes.

MORE ETA
I picture him less as a used-car salesman and more like a two-bit Multi-Level Marketing guy.

I imagine that he’d love to sell stocks over the phone, but doesn’t have the patience or the brain power to get any kind of license.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13501413)
Scotch tape on the tie.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...e529ac2b4f.jpg

That’s the guy who understands image.

ETA
I think the weird leaning thing might be related to the lifts he wears in his shoes.

MORE ETA
I picture him less as a used-car salesman and more like a two-bit Multi-Level Marketing guy.

I imagine that he’d love to sell stocks over the phone, but doesn’t have the patience or the brain power to get any kind of license.

I seriously doubt that's tape on the tie. For one thing, scotch tape does NOT work well at all for holding cloth together. For another, a man would wear a tie clip, not use scotch tape.

ETA: It turns out that Trump does tape the two ends of his tie together, but not to hold it down like a tie clip would (and should, in his case). But since you can see the tape, it obviously doesn't work well because, as I said, regular Scotch tape does not work well on cloth.

Quote:

It was really that Trump, the future leader of the free world, tapes the tail of his tie to the back so that it doesn't move. GQ first spotted the tape in a photo of Trump getting off a plane in Indiana on Thursday.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...is-tie-2016-12

Quote:

Hard as it may be to believe, Donald Trump's transition from President-elect to actual President of the United States (shudder) did not bring with it a transition from sartorially challenged to stylistically capable. Case in point: The guy is still (still!) taping his damn tie together. Just take a look at this image from his inauguration today:
https://www.esquire.com/style/news/a...tapes-his-tie/

I can admit when I'm wrong. It's something others should learn to do instead of digging in.

JoeMorgue 7th June 2021 10:24 AM

//Shot in the dark//

Sticky point for a mic?

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 10:34 AM

This video that Tero posted as evidence that Trump wears diapers is from the same guy (Noel Casler) who makes all the other claims about Trump on The Apprentice: he was taking Adderall, he used the N-word all the time, Trump made 16 year old Ivanka give him a lap dance, etc. I don't find him credible considering no one else, not even anonymously, backs up his stories and there were lots of people on the set of the show.

JoeMorgue 7th June 2021 10:36 AM

Okay so what's the point? Dude in his 70s. If he is wearing adult diapers... and?

I get it, we want to tear down Trump's macho imagine but at a certain point this turns into pointless mockery.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501429)
//Shot in the dark//

Sticky point for a mic?

See my ETA to post #8.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501439)
Okay so what's the point? Dude in his 70s. If he is wearing adult diapers... and?

I get it, we want to tear down Trump's macho imagine but at a certain point this turns into pointless mockery.

I don't mind the mockery as he deserves it. But let's mock him for what deserves mocking and not for things that aren't true like the pull up pants bit. God know there's enough real things he deserves mocking for.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 11:05 AM

The irony of the actual sound track that was used at the North Carolina GOP Convention last week while waiting for Trump to speak was off the charts. "Brain Damage"? :eye-poppi Brianna Keilar and John Berman have some fun with it:


https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ay-sot-vpx.cnn

Bob001 7th June 2021 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501292)
Crazy you've figured out a way to switch on and off is still crazy.

If I think I'm Napoleon but still manage to hold down a job as a scientist, the idea that I'm Napoleon didn't magically become less crazy.

But as a matter of fact you are not Napoleon, and we can prove it. Religious faith, on the other hand, is a matter of feeling and hope. No one can prove that there is not a Supreme Being, in whatever faith tradition you choose, and as that eminent scientist argued, faith is not incompatible with science and facts.

Bob001 7th June 2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13501331)
Except he did even better in ranked choice voting as he was many people's second or third choice.

I don't know if that's true. If your first choice in 2016 was Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio or even Ted Cruz, I doubt Trump would have been your No. 2.

JoeMorgue 7th June 2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13501448)
I don't mind the mockery as he deserves it. But let's mock him for what deserves mocking and not for things that aren't true like the pull up pants bit. God know there's enough real things he deserves mocking for.

The problem is you can't mock someone for something because they deserve it without mocking people who don't deserve it if they have the same feature.

Trump is not a bad president because of his weight, his combover, or any old man medical issues he has. He's a bad President because he's a total trolling sociopath.

Bob001 7th June 2021 11:20 AM

There are multiple reports that Trump wears Brioni suits, an expensive, high-end brand.
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...ioni-10704594/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...p-2016-11?op=1

It's hard to understand why Brioni lets him out the door looking like he does.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501469)
The problem is you can't mock someone for something because they deserve it without mocking people who don't deserve it if they have the same feature.

Yes, you can. "If they deserve it" is the key phrase. Biden has a bald spot. He isn't mocked for it because he doesn't try and hide it with a bad triple combover.

Quote:

Trump is not a bad president because of his weight, his combover, or any old man medical issues he has. He's a bad President because he's a total trolling sociopath.
No one said what he's mocked for is why he's a bad president.

JoeMorgue 7th June 2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13501480)
Yes, you can. "If they deserve it" is the key phrase. Biden has a bald spot. He isn't mocked for it because he doesn't try and hide it with a bad triple combover.



No one said what he's mocked for is why he's a bad president.

No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.

ponderingturtle 7th June 2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13501465)
I don't know if that's true. If your first choice in 2016 was Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio or even Ted Cruz, I doubt Trump would have been your No. 2.

Yet he was for many people. I am not claiming anything about it makes rational sense but he really was the candidate that best represented the republican party in 2016.

ponderingturtle 7th June 2021 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13501474)
There are multiple reports that Trump wears Brioni suits, an expensive, high-end brand.
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...ioni-10704594/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...p-2016-11?op=1

It's hard to understand why Brioni lets him out the door looking like he does.

Because he refuses to have them adjusted to actually fit properly. He has some fixation on wearing them off the rack.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13501474)
There are multiple reports that Trump wears Brioni suits, an expensive, high-end brand.
https://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion...ioni-10704594/
https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...p-2016-11?op=1

It's hard to understand why Brioni lets him out the door looking like he does.

Agreed...but "the customer is always right" especially when he's paying big bucks. According to Ezra Lizio-Katzen, owner of the Washington menswear boutique Ezra Paul, Trump's suits look so bad “Because he’s wearing a suit size probably two sizes at least too big for him in order to not make it look like he’s got a big stomach and instead make it look like he’s just a big guy."

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13501496)
Because he refuses to have them adjusted to actually fit properly. He has some fixation on wearing them off the rack.

According to the link, his suits are bespoke, not off the rack. But they certainly look like they're off the rack.

ponderingturtle 7th June 2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501483)
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.

Yes and no, the spray tan, ill fitting suits and so forth are judgement things and I think are not the same as criticizing say his balance issues on walking on the boobytrapped ramp at westpoint.

""So I walked gingerly down — that was on every newscast in the world and I never went down," Trump said, despite there should have been no danger of him falling while walking down the ramp. "I never went down, either, I never went on my ass, I'll tell you, I wasn't going to fall."

"I think that was a boobytrap," Trump said."

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-ramp/

ponderingturtle 7th June 2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13501501)
According to the link, his suits are bespoke, not off the rack. But they certainly look like they're off the rack.

"Mr. Trump’s public association with Brioni goes back to 2004, when he wrote in “Trump: Think Like a Billionaire” that the brand supplied him with suits for “The Apprentice.” “I wear Brioni suits, which I buy off the rack,” he wrote. Brioni has a 220-square-foot store in the newly opened Trump International Hotel in Washington."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/f...eld-suits.html

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501483)
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.

Who is doing that? That would be Trump.

ETA: In addition, what female Republicans deserve mocking for being fat and ugly because of something they've done or said related to being "fat and ugly"? For example, has a fat and ugly female Republican criticized or made fun of someone else for being fat and ugly? If so, then she would deserve to be mocked for having done so.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13501505)
"Mr. Trump’s public association with Brioni goes back to 2004, when he wrote in “Trump: Think Like a Billionaire” that the brand supplied him with suits for “The Apprentice.” “I wear Brioni suits, which I buy off the rack,” he wrote. Brioni has a 220-square-foot store in the newly opened Trump International Hotel in Washington."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/07/f...eld-suits.html

From the link above:

Quote:

Trump has been a paying customer for many years, according to the Italian men’s wear brand, controlled by Kering. Responding to queries about the designs, Brioni said Trump’s suits are bespoke “and the silhouette and fabrics follow his personal requirements.”
Someone is wrong, either Brioni or Trump. I'm in a quandry as to whom, though: Trump is a pathological liar but his suits look like they're off the rack because of the poor fit.

Skeptic Ginger 7th June 2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13501456)
The irony of the actual sound track that was used at the North Carolina GOP Convention last week while waiting for Trump to speak was off the charts. "Brain Damage"? :eye-poppi Brianna Keilar and John Berman have some fun with it:


https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...ay-sot-vpx.cnn

When they play the Titanic's "My heart will go on" Brianna Keller can't hold the snickering back.

:dl:


I think all the stuff about Dump's tie or his pants is a distraction. He's a sloppy dresser is nuff said.

Delvo 7th June 2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13501413)
I picture him less as a used-car salesman and more like a two-bit Multi-Level Marketing guy.

I imagine that he’d love to sell stocks over the phone, but doesn’t have the patience or the brain power to get any kind of license.

By his behavior, those fit, but, by the reaction to him from the loonies, he's more like Jesus to me. Not only were they both supposed to save their people from the evil oppressors, but also, once they failed, their followers started coming up with excuses and explanations about how his failure was really a success in some secret, possibly even supernatural, way.

bruto 7th June 2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501483)
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.

Despite a lingering urge to disparage whatever about T**** appears, I basically agree. If he had been an incontinent fat man with a bad suit who served the people and did the right thing, we'd be disparaging cheap abuse, just as some, at least, do when idiots and right wing shills rag on Biden for his stutter.

Skeptic Ginger 7th June 2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501483)
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.

Except in Dump's case he does deserve to hear that's he's fat and ugly given he frequently calls women that.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13501522)
Except in Dump's case he does deserve to hear that's he's fat and ugly given he frequently calls women that.

Exactly my point. When someone mocks someone else for something and they have the same attributes or do the same thing, then they deserve to be mocked for it in return.

Belz... 7th June 2021 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13501483)
No.

It's the same reason we shouldn't be calling female Republicans fat and ugly.

I disagree. Fat people who are asshats deserve to be called fat asshats. Nice people who are overweight don't get to have their weight used as an insult.

gnome 7th June 2021 01:20 PM

I don't see how that works well--it just back-doors undesirable pejoratives.

"We're not going to make fun of fat people for being fat, only the ones we don't like."

Having an unsympathetic target doesn't make fat-shaming any more appropriate--it just enables an "acceptable" way for the habit to continue.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it reminds me of people that think they're being enlightened by refusing to use the n-word except on people that "deserve" it by exhibiting negative personality traits.

Norman Alexander 7th June 2021 01:46 PM

Unfortunately, clothes do not make the man.

The Nazis had uniforms designed by Hugo Boss to look stylish. But they were still ******* Nazis.

So whether it's a lardass T**** in an ill-fitting suit, or a tailored long, thin streak of pelican **** like his advisor Miller, they are both obnoxious turds.

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 13501612)
I don't see how that works well--it just back-doors undesirable pejoratives.

"We're not going to make fun of fat people for being fat, only the ones we don't like."

Having an unsympathetic target doesn't make fat-shaming any more appropriate--it just enables an "acceptable" way for the habit to continue.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it reminds me of people that think they're being enlightened by refusing to use the n-word except on people that "deserve" it by exhibiting negative personality traits.


False equivalent because that's not what I said "deserving" was at all:

"When someone mocks someone else for something and they have the same attributes or do the same thing, then they deserve to be mocked for it in return."

"In addition, what female Republicans deserve mocking for being fat and ugly because of something they've done or said related to being "fat and ugly"? For example, has a fat and ugly female Republican criticized or made fun of someone else for being fat and ugly? If so, then she would deserve to be mocked for having done so."

Stacyhs 7th June 2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13501646)
Unfortunately, clothes do not make the man.

The Nazis had uniforms designed by Hugo Boss to look stylish. But they were still ******* Nazis.

So whether it's a lardass T**** in an ill-fitting suit, or a tailored long, thin streak of pelican **** like his advisor Miller, they are both obnoxious turds.




True. About the only good things that can be said about the Nazis are that they built the Autobahn, the Volkswagen, and had great looking uniforms.

Regnad Kcin 7th June 2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13501660)
True. About the only good things that can be said about the Nazis are that they built the Autobahn, the Volkswagen, and had great looking uniforms.

Also, the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer (not many people know it).

jond 7th June 2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin (Post 13501893)
Also, the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer (not many people know it).

The goddess Kate certainly did.

JoeMorgue 7th June 2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13501655)
False equivalent because that's not what I said "deserving" was at all:

"When someone mocks someone else for something and they have the same attributes or do the same thing, then they deserve to be mocked for it in return."

"In addition, what female Republicans deserve mocking for being fat and ugly because of something they've done or said related to being "fat and ugly"? For example, has a fat and ugly female Republican criticized or made fun of someone else for being fat and ugly? If so, then she would deserve to be mocked for having done so."

JESUS ******* CHRIST THIS ISN'T THAT HARD.

You don't get to use qualities that aren't bad in attacking someone just because the person is bad.

"It's okay to make fun of Trump for being fat/ugly/a bad dresser because he's a bad person so he deserves everything he gets" is still insulting to fat/ugly/bad dresser people who aren't Trump and who are perfectly good people.

And no "Trump has used those insults too! That surely makes it okay!" is not either.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.