International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness' say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 3 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341507)

Stacyhs 7th February 2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12980777)
Anyone else notice how his weird tics and grimaces are getting more frequent and longer?

I can't watch him long enough to notice before having to rush to the vomitorium.

theprestige 8th February 2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12982367)
I can't watch him long enough to notice before having to rush to the vomitorium.

Far be it from me to diagnose someone based on their social media, but if your reaction is that extreme you may want to consult with a physician.

Skeptic Ginger 8th February 2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12982683)
Far be it from me to diagnose someone based on their social media, but if your reaction is that extreme you may want to consult with a physician.

Why?

I can't stand to listen to the bastard either. Pretty sure that is normal, definitely not extreme.

theprestige 8th February 2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12982697)
Why?

I can't stand to listen to the bastard either. Pretty sure that is normal, definitely not extreme.

Becoming physically ill seems pretty extreme.

RecoveringYuppy 8th February 2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12982739)

Physically ill? She's just leaving the football game early.

Skeptic Ginger 8th February 2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12982739)

:rolleyes:

Usually when people say Trump makes them vomit they don't mean it literally.

theprestige 8th February 2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12982863)
: rolleyes :

Usually when people say Trump makes them vomit they don't mean it literally.

I dunno. Are you sure it's not a valuable window into their disturbed state of mind?

TragicMonkey 8th February 2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12982874)
I dunno. Are you sure it's not a valuable window into their disturbed state of mind?

Perhaps it's stress-induced acid reflux.

theprestige 8th February 2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12982882)
Perhaps it's stress-induced acid reflux.

Is there a checklist in the DSM for that?

TragicMonkey 8th February 2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12982903)
Is there a checklist in the DSM for that?

It's got an ICD10 code, some where between the one for "orca attack, subsequent encounter" and "penile injury from fallen space debris".

theprestige 8th February 2020 01:21 PM

When it comes to falling space debris, you see injury, but I see opportunity.

Skeptic Ginger 8th February 2020 02:28 PM

None of that sarcasm makes Trump's diagnosis any less valid.

Stacyhs 8th February 2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12982683)

You're taking your role as the new TBD way too seriously. It's not necessary to reply with a nasty comment to every post that dares express a personal negative opinion about Trump.

theprestige 8th February 2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12982988)
None of that sarcasm makes Trump's diagnosis any less valid.

Kind of hard to imagine how the "diagnosis" could be any less valid.

theprestige 8th February 2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12982992)
You're taking your role as the new TBD way too seriously. It's not necessary to reply with a nasty comment to every post that dares express a personal negative opinion about Trump.

It sounds like your stomach is supplying all the nastiness.

You want to make nasty comments, but you don't want to own them? That must be a bit queasy making, for sure.

Stacyhs 8th February 2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12983009)
It sounds like your stomach is supplying all the nastiness.

You want to make nasty comments, but you don't want to own them? That must be a bit queasy making, for sure.

I own and stand by my comment about Trump which was not directed at you or anyone in this forum. Yet you direct your nastiness at me personally and not for the first time. This all began when you insulted my mother for no reason and got called out for it by me and others. Grow up.

jimbob 8th February 2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12981883)
Can't say that I've put any effort into tracking that. Or even watching him for any period long enough to notice it was even happening.

What's your methodology? Do you watch him live, and keep a diary?

Well this is not normal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9F...outu.be&t=5750

Nor was he doing this in 2017 to such an extent.

calebprime 8th February 2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12983039)
Well this is not normal:

I watched his interview with Fox the day of the senate's impeachment decision, with the sound off.

Fwiw -- not much -- I found his eye asymmetry quite odd -- how he was squinting out of one eye and focussing with the other, seemingly. And then instead of looking at the interviewer, his eyes would obviously fixate over to another location when he wanted to recall something. Also, not a happy face. Strained and tired.

Now, it wasn't a lovely performance or a convincing act of human communication or persuasion, but the guy's a nitwit and has been under incredible stress, so it probably doesn't mean much.

Safe-Keeper 8th February 2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12983039)
Well this is not normal:

Reminds me of that recent footage from FOX News where he appears to throw a tantrum in his limousine and does this huge... unvoluntary jerk or spasm.

Can't find it on YouTube, unfortunately.

eta
Quote:

Originally Posted by calebprime (Post 12983051)
Now, it wasn't a lovely performance or a convincing act of human communication or persuasion, but the guy's a nitwit and has been under incredible stress, so it probably doesn't mean much.

Now that the impeachment proceedings are over, he will have lots of Executive Time with TV and hamberders to relax until he stumbles into his next major crisis or scandal :) .

Skeptic Ginger 8th February 2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12983005)
Kind of hard to imagine how the "diagnosis" could be any less valid.

Dude, you are late to this party. No one supports that nonsense, even a certain person arguing the psychiatrists were unethical.

So that leaves one likely conclusion, purposeful trolling.

xjx388 8th February 2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12983066)
Dude, you are late to this party. No one supports that nonsense, even a certain person arguing the psychiatrists were unethical.

So that leaves one likely conclusion, purposeful trolling.

Not really.

The quality of a diagnosis has little to do with ethics and more to do with the methodology one uses to arrive at it. There is no methodology in psychology/psychiatry for diagnosing people based on tweets, public appearances, etc. Therefore, the diagnosis can be rejected.

The ethics of the situation is simply that they shouldn’t be speculating about the mental state of a public figure they haven’t personally examined in the first place.

There are two prongs of my objection.

Skeptic Ginger 8th February 2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 12983078)
Not really.

The quality of a diagnosis has little to do with ethics and more to do with the methodology one uses to arrive at it. There is no methodology in psychology/psychiatry for diagnosing people based on tweets, public appearances, etc. Therefore, the diagnosis can be rejected.

The ethics of the situation is simply that they shouldn’t be speculating about the mental state of a public figure they haven’t personally examined in the first place.

There are two prongs of my objection.

So now you're back to denying what we can all see with our own eyes?

Steve 8th February 2020 07:41 PM

There are people in this world who act, or would like to act, just like Trump in their daily lives. Those people really do think he is “normal” and will never recognize or understand how bizarre Trump is.

Stacyhs 8th February 2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 12983205)
There are people in this world who act, or would like to act, just like Trump in their daily lives. Those people really do think he is “normal” and will never recognize or understand how bizarre Trump is.

And, somehow not coincidentally, those people tend to defend Trump no matter what he does.

Steve 8th February 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 12983214)
And, somehow not coincidentally, those people tend to defend Trump no matter what he does.

Yes because, whether they are aware of it or not, they are defending themselves at the same time.

Stacyhs 8th February 2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 12983224)
Yes because, whether they are aware of it or not, they are defending themselves at the same time.

I agree with that 100%.

theprestige 9th February 2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 12983087)
Not necessarily. Retching when subjected to extremely disgusting stimuli is totally normal and for most of us it's pretty easy to work around such stimuli. Likewise,

Nausea, Vomiting Anxiety Symptoms

I bet the Anxiety Centre does recommend getting help for the nausea-inducing anxiety itself, though.

jimbob 9th February 2020 09:58 AM

Apologies for Twitter but I can't find the original video.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1224787282156249094

He gets the music prompt and thinks it's fine to start playing at conducting it.

This is not normal.

jimbob 9th February 2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12983570)
Discussion was pretty much wrapped up in the first ten or so pages of the first part of this thread. At this point, people want to bump the thread anyway, and I don't mind playing along a bit. If you want to have more discussion, say something new. Or go find some thread with a conversation you want to have going on, and participate in it.

What about his makeup issues?

It might seem small, but either he's doing it himself, or he's letting/instructing someone else to send him out looking like that, and he doesn't correct it when looking in the mirror.

It's another sign of his cogitative decline.

xjx388 9th February 2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12983595)
Apologies for Twitter but I can't find the original video.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1224787282156249094

He gets the music prompt and thinks it's fine to start playing at conducting it.

This is not normal.

I’ll grant you that. It’s not “normal.”

But it also isn’t a sign of a “dangerous mental illness.”

jimbob 9th February 2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 12983606)
I’ll grant you that. It’s not “normal.”

But it also isn’t a sign of a “dangerous mental illness.”

It's entirely consistent with him losing connection with reality and it warrants a proper medical examination.

Are you happy that someone with that behaviour is supposed to take high-level military decisions in a complex situation without any further check that he *is* actually still capable of command?

I've literally seen five* year-olds with better grasps of complex situations and appropriate behaviour.

*I initially said eight, then recalled some conversations with my kids and their friends in reception class.

xjx388 9th February 2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12983633)
It's entirely consistent with him losing connection with reality and it warrants a proper medical examination.

Exaggeration. He pretends to conduct the national anthem and he needs a medical exam? Get serious.

Quote:

Are you happy that someone with that behaviour is supposed to take high-level military decisions in a complex situation without any further check that he *is* actually still capable of command?
Happy? No. But I’m not also going to say that the silly little thing he did means he’s gonna launch nukes.

Minoosh 9th February 2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12983633)

Was he ever?

jimbob 9th February 2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 12984020)
Exaggeration. He pretends to conduct the national anthem and he needs a medical exam? Get serious.

Happy? No. But I’m not also going to say that the silly little thing he did means he’s gonna launch nukes.

You are missing the point. Alone, and out of context, any one might not be worrying. Together, they paint a picture.

Bizarre behaviour in the commander in chief is more concerning than in a random member of the public.

Skeptic Ginger 9th February 2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Exaggeration. He pretends to conduct the national anthem and he needs a medical exam? Get serious. ....

He's the POTUS and he was unable to sit still during the anthem. At a minimum it is concerning.

Steve 9th February 2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

I could give a pass to Billy Bob in the seed cap who downed a 6 pack in the parking lot before the game. This dude is the president of your country. All his predecessors were capable of the appropriate decorum. You give him a pass because he may not be completelyoff his rocker, but only acts like a drunk.

TragicMonkey 9th February 2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12984106)
He's the POTUS and he was unable to sit still during the anthem. At a minimum it is concerning.

Is it possible he's actually a five-year-old with progeria? Because a lot of his behavior would be perfectly normal in a five-year-old. Admittedly one on the brattier end of the spectrum.

xjx388 9th February 2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12984106)

What exactly is concerning, from a “dangerous mental illness,” standpoint? That was such a minor thing that at a maximum, it shows a lack of respect for decorum. Not exactly “dangerous.”

xjx388 9th February 2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 12984137)
I could give a pass to Billy Bob in the seed cap who downed a 6 pack in the parking lot before the game. This dude is the president of your country. All his predecessors were capable of the appropriate decorum. You give him a pass because he may not be completelyoff his rocker, but only acts like a drunk.

I never said I gave him a pass. I merely said that it isn’t indicative of “dangerous mental illness.”

Steve 9th February 2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjx388 (Post 12984150)
I never said I gave him a pass. I merely said that it isn’t indicative of “dangerous mental illness.”

Any mental illness in a person is his position is dangerous. Rational thought is a crucial part of the job.