International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Trans Women are not Women (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325369)

JoeMorgue 17th June 2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman1917 (Post 12728789)
How would you expect your "real world solutions" to make racism go away if you refuse to analyze where racism comes from?

Don't do that. Don't pretend that "I'm gonna sit here and hangwring until a perfect solution is spoon feed to me" is the same thing as "Just looking the mechanics of the problem we're trying to solve."

caveman1917 17th June 2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12728792)
Yeah you did. Right here:
I regard racial segregation in American history as an attempt by the ruling class to pit two parts of the working class against each other so as to ensure their own continued rule. Divide et impera.

That's a conspiracy.

No it isn't. What do you think happened here, that capitalists and slave-owners all got together in a room to conspire together? Of course that's not what happened, what happened is that most of the individual capitalists and slave-owners were faced with the same problem - namely uprisings by the people they ruled - and most of them came up with similar solutions. This, the fact that they all came up with similar solutions, reinforced said solution so as to lead to a structuring of society at large along racial lines. Your understanding of historical processes is simplistic to the point of being cartoonesque.

Quote:

Took you long enough.
No it was just a 3 second google search.

Belz... 17th June 2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman1917 (Post 12728809)
No it isn't. What do you think happened here, that capitalists and slave-owners all got together in a room to conspire together?

That's not required for a conspiracy.

Quote:

Your understanding of historical processes is simplistic to the point of being cartoonesque.
Meanwhile, yours is insupported.

Quote:

No it was just a 3 second google search.
So what's your excuse, then?

caveman1917 17th June 2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12728794)
Don't do that. Don't pretend that "I'm gonna sit here and hangwring until a perfect solution is spoon feed to me" is the same thing as "Just looking the mechanics of the problem we're trying to solve."

Yet it is. Again, how would you expect to come up with a solution to a problem if you refuse to analyze where said problem comes from?

ponderingturtle 17th June 2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman1917 (Post 12728738)
The category "other" is not a sex. The sex of an individual is the role played by that individual in sexual reproduction (hence "sex" as in "sexual reproduction"). For mammals, among which humans, there are only two roles an individual can play in sexual reproduction, namely provider of sperm (called the male sex) or provider of ovum (called the female sex). Those who don't produce either sperm or ova do not have a sex (they don't play any role in sexual reproduction). In other words, there are two sexes and some people who don't have a sex, sex is binary.

If there are more than two answers to what is your sex, it isn't binary, for your answer it is sterile, male or female. That is 3 categories not 2.

ponderingturtle 17th June 2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennB (Post 12728756)
That changed dramatically with the industrial revolution.

"In the 1840s, in Lancashire alone, a survey of 412 cotton factories found that just over half of the 116,300 workers were female. Around 10,700 of them were married women.
By 1873, over 26 per cent of women working in cotton mills nationally were married, three quarters of whom were of childbearing age. "

From A (Working) Woman's Place

But this is working class females not women of respectable classes.

caveman1917 17th June 2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12728810)
That's not required for a conspiracy.

Of course it is. A conspiracy at the very least requires the purported conspirators to have communicated and engaged in a certain plot through said communication.

Quote:

Meanwhile, yours is insupported.
ref

Quote:

Originally Posted by Du Bois
The race element was emphasized in order that property-holders could get the support of the majority of white laborers and make it more possible to exploit Negro labor. But the race philosophy came as a new and terrible thing to make labor unity or labor class-consciousness impossible. So long as the Southern white laborers could be induced to prefer poverty to equality with the Negro, just so long was a labor movement in the South made impossible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz
So what's your excuse, then?

For someone who complains about "having to explain that water is wet" it seems pretty funny for you to demand sources to show you that water is wet (in this case that Victorian era ideology promoted the notion that women should stay at home).

caveman1917 17th June 2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 12728820)
If there are more than two answers to what is your sex, it isn't binary, for your answer it is sterile, male or female. That is 3 categories not 2.

Only two of which are sexes, hence sex is a binary.

Belz... 17th June 2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman1917 (Post 12728825)
Of course it is. A conspiracy at the very least requires the purported conspirators to have communicated and engaged in a certain plot through said communication.

I mean it doesn't require them to meet in a smoke-filled room.

Quote:

ref
Sounds like I was right: they just didn't want the black folk to integrate. Good old racism.

Racism exists, by the way, before you ask.

Quote:

For someone who complains about "having to explain that water is wet" it seems pretty funny for you to demand sources to show you that water is wet (in this case that Victorian era ideology promoted the notion that women should stay at home).
1920s is not Victorian times, nor was the Victorian age American, for instance. I'm sure you think asking you to demonstrate your claim is amusing because it's not something you're used to having to do. I get that, I'm lazy too.

Belz... 17th June 2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 12728820)

"Sterile" isn't a sex.

Loss Leader 17th June 2019 09:21 PM

Mod InfoThread closed for length. You may continue the discussion here. You may quote freely from this thread in the continuation.
Posted By:Loss Leader