International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Religion and Philosophy (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Interesting Article About Liberty University (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338756)

Ranb 9th September 2019 11:02 PM

Interesting Article About Liberty University

Interesting article. I don't know if it is all true, but it does not seem that far fetched.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...y-loans-227914
Quote:

In interviews over the past eight months, they depicted how Falwell and his wife, Becki, consolidated power at Liberty University and how Falwell presides over a culture of self-dealing, directing university resources into projects and real estate deals in which his friends and family have stood to make personal financial gains. Among the previously unreported revelations are Falwell’s decision to hire his son Trey’s company to manage a shopping center owned by the university, Falwell’s advocacy for loans given by the university to his friends, and Falwell’s awarding university contracts to businesses owned by his friends.

“We’re not a school; we’re a real estate hedge fund,” said a senior university official with inside knowledge of Liberty’s finances. “We’re not educating; we’re buying real estate every year and taking students’ money to do it.”
Ranb

Norman Alexander 9th September 2019 11:05 PM

I'm shocked, I tell you.

The Great Zaganza 9th September 2019 11:28 PM

All the big Universities are Investment Funds with a Campus attached.

Norman Alexander 10th September 2019 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12814580)
All the big Universities are Investment Funds with a Campus attached.

Liberty University is just more so. It is 100% investment fund with a single laser printer that spews out fee receipts and university degree certificates on demand.

SuburbanTurkey 10th September 2019 04:18 AM

Rich kids who inherited money and institutional power are bad enough. Jerry Falwell inherited money, institutional power, and status as a moral/religious authority.

Him turning out to be a corrupt scumbag is not surprising in the least.

Certain strains of evangelicalism have rejected the traditional Christian belief that money is corrupting and source of tremendous evil, despite repeated examples of why that is true within their own flocks.

Puppycow 10th September 2019 11:46 PM

He's mad. And he's asking the FBI to investigate.

Liberty's Falwell says he's target of 'attempted coup'

Quote:

"I'm not going to dignify the lies that were reported yesterday with a response, but I am going to the authorities and I am going to civil court," Falwell said, referring to the reporter as a "little boy."

He added that Liberty has hired "the meanest lawyer in New York," whom he declined to identify, to pursue civil cases. Falwell also declined to identify the people he said were spreading the emails.
"The Meanest Lawyer in New York"!!!
How Christian! :D

He has some interesting legal ideas:
Quote:

Falwell said he contacted the FBI last week after he learned that reporters were reaching out to Liberty employees about the emails he insists were stolen.

"Liberty owns every single one of those emails. It's our property. They were working for us when they used our server. And our policies make it clear every email sent on our server is owned by Liberty and if anybody shares it with anybody outside Liberty, it is theft. And so that's the underlying crime," Falwell told AP in a phone interview.
I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that's how it works.

Darat 11th September 2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppycow (Post 12816033)
He's mad. And he's asking the FBI to investigate.

Liberty's Falwell says he's target of 'attempted coup'

"The Meanest Lawyer in New York"!!!
How Christian! :D

He has some interesting legal ideas:

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think that's how it works.

Regarding emails, if they are company emails it is the norm that they are the property of the company and you as a private individual have no right to copy, use them for anything outside your immediate business needs and so on.

Craig4 11th September 2019 03:34 AM

I've encountered a few of their graduates. I wasn't certain what they did at Liberty University but I did not get the feeling it was educating anyone.

rockysmith76 11th September 2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 12814756)
Rich kids who inherited money and institutional power are bad enough. Jerry Falwell inherited money, institutional power, and status as a moral/religious authority.

Him turning out to be a corrupt scumbag is not surprising in the least.

Certain strains of evangelicalism have rejected the traditional Christian belief that money is corrupting and source of tremendous evil, despite repeated examples of why that is true within their own flocks.

The Mega-Church varieties have certainly done so, abandoned money as the root of all evil, that s

Elvis666 11th September 2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 (Post 12816297)
The Mega-Church varieties have certainly done so, abandoned money as the root of all evil, that s

It's actually love of money that is the root of all evil, but that change makes no difference in this context.

Foster Zygote 11th September 2019 01:19 PM

As I read the sentiment that he isn't a good representative of Liberty University, I couldn't help but think maybe he is.