International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Flat Earth Internation Conference 2017!!! (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324838)

BadBoy 16th November 2017 11:04 PM

Flat Earth Internation Conference 2017!!!

I am for once speechless (well I was, then I decided to post).

Flat Earth International Conference 2017 :covereyes - in South Carolina USA.

There are actually enough people to have a conference on this :jaw-dropp

I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit. I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.

However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything. This is a natural corollary when you take away all the dogmas and ideologies and government meddling in how people should live their lives. I mean an Egyptian singer was recently arrested because she said drinking river Nile water can make you sick, that is clearly insane.

Or is this just another example of American decline in the face of anti-intellectual hysteria that appears to be sweeping that great nation.

Sideroxylon 16th November 2017 11:06 PM

Equal time for both sides of the controversy, surely.

BadBoy 16th November 2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon (Post 12080039)
Equal time for both sides of the controversy, surely.

well, if there is a controversy right now I am sure we can end the controversy easily enough by providing the evidence. Then we are post controversy. Simples.

trustbutverify 16th November 2017 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoy (Post 12080038)

There are actually enough people to have a conference on this :jaw-dropp

I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit. I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.

However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything. This is a natural corollary when you take away all the dogmas and ideologies and government meddling in how people should live their lives. I mean an Egyptian singer was recently arrested because she said drinking river Nile water can make you sick, that is clearly insane.

Or is this just another example of American decline in the face of anti-intellectual hysteria that appears to be sweeping that great nation.

You're a little late, but welcome to the party. These are the type of smug buffoons who consider RT their number one "news source".

BadBoy 16th November 2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 12080055)
You're a little late, but welcome to the party. These are the type of smug buffoons who consider RT their number one "news source".

ok, I don't necessarily think the USA is in decline, and even if it is it would take decades. But there is an unwelcome aroma of people become specious or willfully ignorant of science and reason and bare faced facts. (Not just in America). Trump epitomizes this, as the man himself and the people who elected him. Luckily sanity appears to prevail in some other countries like Canada and France at the moment in their recently elected leaders.

Oystein 17th November 2017 04:42 AM

Do flat-earthers generally allege a Conspiracy to delude humankind about the shape of the earth, or do they allege scientific error?
Or do they allege a Consiracy that flattened earth?

turingtest 17th November 2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoy (Post 12080045)
well, if there is a controversy right now I am sure we can end the controversy easily enough by providing the evidence. Then we are post controversy. Simples.

Sure. But this assumes that those who create the controversy- here, flat-earthers, elsewhere, creationists and 9-11 CTists- are doing so in good faith, are honestly asking questions in search of evidence to answer them. For the most part, they're not; the investment is in the controversy itself, and the point is to prolong it, not resolve it.

alexi_drago 17th November 2017 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oystein (Post 12080277)
Do flat-earthers generally allege a Conspiracy to delude humankind about the shape of the earth, or do they allege scientific error?

Its a conspiracy, to hide god from us.

Andy_Ross 17th November 2017 06:58 AM

Quote:

There are as many theories as there are proponents, similar to 9/11 and Apollo hoax believers.

alexi_drago 17th November 2017 09:21 AM

For anyone who wasn't able to attend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwe7HY04oxs

trustbutverify 17th November 2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoy (Post 12080057)
ok, I don't necessarily think the USA is in decline, and even if it is it would take decades. But there is an unwelcome aroma of people become specious or willfully ignorant of science and reason and bare faced facts. (Not just in America). Trump epitomizes this, as the man himself and the people who elected him. Luckily sanity appears to prevail in some other countries like Canada and France at the moment in their recently elected leaders.

Agreed. And to go further, a large set of pathetic, ego fueled buffoons have replaced rational thought and the scientific method with a bunch of self serving conspiracy crapola, and replaced legitimate news sources with whatever Russian propaganda they happen to find on the internet that day.

Craig4 17th November 2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

All of the above probably. I remember once watching a video of an argument that nearly turned into a fist fight among bigfoot believers. People can get oddly passionate about the arrangement of the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Elagabalus 17th November 2017 09:11 PM

May I ask how the attendees "arrived" at the Internation Conference 2017? Did they fly in on commercial flights? Why didn't all the Airline companies make them disappear? The last thing the NWO wants is to alert all the sheeple about the global conspiracy!!

alexi_drago 18th November 2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elagabalus (Post 12081653)
May I ask how the attendees "arrived" at the Internation Conference 2017? Did they fly in on commercial flights? Why didn't all the Airline companies make them disappear? The last thing the NWO wants is to alert all the sheeple about the global conspiracy!!

Some tried to get there by jumping straight up and letting the earth spin beneath them, that they didn't get anywhere is proof enough that the earth isn't a spinning globe.

angrysoba 18th November 2017 06:50 AM

Was this a global conference? Were there satellite link-ups beaming to other parts of the world which were having night time for some mysterious reason?

BadBoy 19th November 2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexi_drago (Post 12080590)

I managed to watch the first 5 mins then had to switch off when he got to the point where he asks why are the scientists not answering their questions plus "and don't give me that thing about boat masts going down, is that all you have!". Obviously the scientists have no answer and so are keeping quiet. Good Grief.

CORed 20th November 2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

They seem to universally believe that anything that comes from NASA (like pictures of the earth clearly showing it to be spherical) are fake. Most that I have read seem to believe there is some sort of conspiracy to conceal "the truth".

I have not seen anything from them that suggests that the earth was ever any shape but a flat disk.

Imhotep 20th November 2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexi_drago (Post 12080590)

Someone commented:

Code:

Nice on brother. What's with the 27 dislikes? Probably the globetards...lol
Wow.

P.J. Denyer 20th November 2017 12:46 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for inviting me to be your commencement speaker. Unfortunately I flew here, and on the way I looked out the aeroplane window and realised we're all idiots.

Thank you for attending and I look forward to seeing you all at next month's Intelligent Design Symposium.

Good Night!

Imhotep 20th November 2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer (Post 12084656)
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for inviting me to be your commencement speaker. Unfortunately I flew here, and on the way I looked out the aeroplane window and realised we're all idiots.

Thank you for attending and I look forward to seeing you all at next month's Intelligent Design Symposium.

Good Night!

Damn, NASA must have paid this guy off.

Access to actual Flat Earthers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OurFlatWorld/

Looks like they are censor and ban happy, so be careful.

bytewizard 20th November 2017 02:48 PM

Caught a rerun of Mythbusters last night. Adam flew in a U-2 up to 70,000 feet, and as the camera panned the earth, it was......curved...a sphere! What a great fake camera! CGI must be cheap and easy....

EHocking 23rd November 2017 11:01 PM

Fisheye lens, :rolleyes:

Daniel 28th November 2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

We allege that it's NOT Science to begin with since The Scientific Method ("Science") only adjudicates "Cause and Effect" (How/Why) questions and the shape of something (Flat/Sphere) or Spinning/Non-Spinning ect are "What/Is" questions.
It's tantamount to asking: How/Why is a Breadbox Rectangular, True or False?

Then we further stipulate, that if any appeal to "Science" in this genre that they wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on their head, spun around, and whistled dixie. It's an Open and Shut Case. ;)

Conspiracy -- a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy

No, this never happens!! Just Thousands of Times each day EVERY DAY throughout the Entire History of the human race.

regards

Daniel 28th November 2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysoba (Post 12082057)
Was this a global conference? Were there satellite link-ups beaming to other parts of the world...

Yes, like these...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...psifr66lnq.jpg

Daniel 28th November 2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CORed (Post 12084470)
They seem to universally believe that anything that comes from NASA (like pictures of the earth clearly showing it to be spherical) are fake. Most that I have read seem to believe there is some sort of conspiracy to conceal "the truth".

Not 'believe', we "KNOW"; Big Difference.

There are no Pictures "Photographs" of the Earth merely CGI (Computer Generated Images); Two very different animals.

Conspiracies are like 'wiki' PARROTING Pretender Clowns...they're everywhere.

regards

Daniel 28th November 2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoy (Post 12080038)

Why? And feigned exasperations aren't coherent arguments/positions.

Quote:

There are actually enough people to have a conference on this

Looks like it.

Quote:

I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit.

And...? WHY?

Quote:

I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.

And...? WHY?

Quote:

However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything.

Yes, Fairytales like: evolution (Whatever that is??), multiverses, dark matter/energy, big bangs ect ect...and feebly attempt to pass them off as actually coherent. :rolleyes:

regards

Daniel 28th November 2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bytewizard (Post 12084773)
Caught a rerun of Mythbusters last night. Adam flew in a U-2 up to 70,000 feet, and as the camera panned the earth, it was......curved...a sphere!

The epitome of "Science"....Mythbusters. :boggled:

Yes, I caught that also :thumbsup: Unfortunately (For your Fairytale), when the "camera" panned back to Adam, it showed the Horizon behind him... Flat as a Pancake !!

Quote:

What a great fake camera!

How about the "Convexity" (Cockpit) of what the camera was looking through?

Quote:

CGI must be cheap and easy....

That wasn't CGI, it's called "Barrel Distortion".

regards

LSSBB 28th November 2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 12093866)
The epitome of "Science"....Mythbusters. :boggled:

Yes, I caught that also :thumbsup: Unfortunately (For your Fairytale), when the "camera" panned back to Adam, it showed the Horizon behind him... Flat as a Pancake !!

How about the "Convexity" (Cockpit) of what the camera was looking through?

That wasn't CGI, it's called "Barrel Distortion".

regards

The curve doesn't go away just because you don't see it from a different angle. Does the back of a house go away when you look at the front?

LSSBB 28th November 2017 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 12093845)

There are no Pictures "Photographs" of the Earth merely CGI (Computer Generated Images); Two very different animals.

regards

They didn't have CGI in 1947.

LSSBB 28th November 2017 08:04 PM

Lake Pontchartrain utility towers show the curvature:

https://www.metabunk.org/soundly-pro...artrain.t8939/

And don't refer to videos trying to debunk Soundly by looking at different angles. Like I said, the curve doesn't go away just because you changed perspective.

threadworm 29th November 2017 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 12093845)

regards

As opposed to anti-science ignorami parroting stupid youtube memes.

Have some pictures of Earth taken decades before any computer would be capable of producing anything like it.

https://i.imgur.com/iK7tS8q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/12OZ6Ap.jpg

Cosmic Yak 29th November 2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 12093853)

Yes, Fairytales like: evolution (Whatever that is??)

How can you say that evolution is a fairytale when you don't even know what it is?

BadBoy 29th November 2017 02:12 AM

Wow, are you a real Flat Earth-er ? That's incredible!

You really managed to convince yourself the earth is flat hu. Wow.

Quote:

Quote:

Flat Earth International Conference 2017 - in South Carolina USA.
Why? And feigned exasperations aren't coherent arguments/positions.
Not feigned exasperations, real exasperation and dumbfoundedness. You must be used to that by now surely. If you mean what you say, it's kind of a dumb belief given all the evidence and all that the earth is quite positively a sphere, same as all the other celestial bodies. I mean you would have to quite literally invent a whole new physics starting with newtons theory of gravity. Your strident underwhelming postulating in the face of the last 200 years progress of the physical sciences is truly a wonder of grand ignorance and arrogance.
Quote:

Quote:

There are actually enough people to have a conference on this
Looks like it.
Again, real dumbfoundedness.

Quote:

Quote:

I am all for the concept that people are not necessarily idiots, they can just be idiots on a specific idea. But this takes the biscuit.
And...? WHY?
Because thinking the earth is flat is really really silly.

Quote:

Quote:

I honestly cannot believe that people really think the earth is flat. I think they are lying. They must be.
And...? WHY?
Because it is very very silly.

Quote:

Quote:

However, is this the sort of thing that makes America Great, you can say or believe anything.
Yes, Fairytales like: evolution (Whatever that is??), multiverses, dark matter/energy, big bangs ect ect...and feebly attempt to pass them off as actually coherent.
Oh dear. I think there is an amount of Dunning Kruger going on here.

Quote:

regards
And my regards to you to... I think? :covereyes

Sorry if this post feels a bit like an ad hominem attack, but it's like having a conversation with someone who insists 2+2 = 5.

BadBoy 29th November 2017 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12093950)
Lake Pontchartrain utility towers show the curvature:

https://www.metabunk.org/soundly-pro...artrain.t8939/

And don't refer to videos trying to debunk Soundly by looking at different angles. Like I said, the curve doesn't go away just because you changed perspective.

That, was really cool.

Why can't the anti science people see how cool science can be.

MikeG 29th November 2017 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 12093853)
......And...? WHY?........

Because only babbling idiots think the world is flat. It isn't.

Oystein 29th November 2017 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 12093837)
We allege that it's NOT Science to begin with since The Scientific Method ("Science") only adjudicates "Cause and Effect" (How/Why) questions and the shape of something (Flat/Sphere) or Spinning/Non-Spinning ect are "What/Is" questions.
It's tantamount to asking: How/Why is a Breadbox Rectangular, True or False?

Then we further stipulate, that if any appeal to "Science" in this genre that they wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on their head, spun around, and whistled dixie. It's an Open and Shut Case. ;)

Conspiracy -- a secret plan made by two or more people to do something that is harmful or illegal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/conspiracy

No, this never happens!! Just Thousands of Times each day EVERY DAY throughout the Entire History of the human race.

regards

"Earth is round, spinning around an axis, falling around a much larger sun on an elliptic path, and the axes of these rotations are at an angle of 23 degrees" is a powerful scientific theory, for it allows to make many detailed, falsifiable predictions. For example about apparent motions of celestial bodies, distances of travel along earth's surface, the behaviour of weather systems, the nature of seasons in different parts of the world, where stuff falls and at what rate things accelerate as a function of ground hight (mountain vs. depression) or hight above ground or distance from poles, where compass needles point, what straight power lines over a body of water look like when viewed through telelens, properties of various wave lengths of radio (why do they build radio towers as high as they do, and what limits their range?), etc.

What falsifiable predictions makes the flat-earth theory?

The Great Zaganza 29th November 2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oystein (Post 12094300)
What falsifiable predictions makes the flat-earth theory?

If the earth was a sphere, pizzas would be spheres, too.
But they are flat, hence the earth must be flat.

Dave Rogers 29th November 2017 05:22 AM

Quote:

Impressive. I see there's a whole new swathe of irrationality that I'd never previously considered: Metrology denial.

Dave

ponderingturtle 29th November 2017 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers (Post 12094308)
Impressive. I see there's a whole new swathe of irrationality that I'd never previously considered: Metrology denial.

Dave

Go listen to nightvale and you can find out the truth about how mountains don't exist.

SOdhner 29th November 2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Wait, wait, wait. That's can't honestly be your whole strategy, right? I mean, you can't seriously just respond to everyone with "you wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie" right? That would be crazy - a child's idea of a rebuttal. I'm sure you're just making a joke about that being your tactic and would never actually rely on such a weak attempt at discourse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11157543)
It's plainly obvious from just a mere cursory review of these threads, the participants wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on their heads, spun around, and whistled dixie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11158675)
With al do respect sir...as evidenced by your comments here and previous posts, you wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11159106)
You wouldn't know what ACTUAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11173306)
And Sir, by the substance of your posts in this thread, you wouldn't know what REAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11173667)
:rolleyes: You wouldn't know what "actual" Science was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11376559)
It's Crystal Clear from your post history ( and corroborated by your trainwreck remark here), you wouldn't know what "Actual" Science was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled Dixie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel (Post 11381437)
I highly doubt that you would know what REAL "Science" was if it landed on your head, spun around, and whistled dixie.

Oh.

Well then, I stand corrected.