International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Computers and the Internet (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Weirdness (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341460)

AJM8125 7th January 2020 07:58 PM

Weirdness

Never experienced this one before -

Recently a very faint sound started coming through my computer's speakers. It sounds like an idling two-stroke motor - putt putt putt putt - incessantly. It stops when I either unplug the speakers from the jack or put my GPU idle by stopping Folding@Home.

A temporary fix was to plug the speakers in to the case jack and that stopped the noise while GPU is going full tilt.

Any idea of what could be causing this? I've updated both GPU driver and motherboard - problem persists.

gmarshall 7th January 2020 08:18 PM

I've had this happen to my speakers from time to time. For me, the wire connecting one of my speakers was running too close to other wires and picking up cross talk. Have you tried rerouting the wires to see if the putt putt changes/diminishes?

AJM8125 7th January 2020 10:30 PM

Thank you and upon your advice, no dice.

Still puttin.

Little 10 Toes 7th January 2020 10:53 PM

Have you tried running Linux?

Now for a real suggestion, the GPU may be causing enough electrical static that the wires might pick up. See if you can find any GPU testing software.

smartcooky 8th January 2020 02:26 AM

I had a similar issue through my headphones... and after a lot of tail-chasing, I solved it by replacing the headphone cable with a properly shielded twin audio coax cable, and soldering the shield to the "common" connection, which connected it to the tower case.

No more "putt-putt".

novaphile 9th January 2020 01:20 PM

I can see how that might work.

The putt-putt could be a charge building up in the Shield, and then discharging across a very small gap. As if the whole cable was working like an aerial and a capacitor at the same time.

Is it not usual practice to ground the shield?

(I've always done this, and now wonder if it is normal.)

William Parcher 9th January 2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJM8125 (Post 12946802)
Still puttin.

Is this an add-on speaker set with subwoofer? What brand and model are your speakers?

alfaniner 9th January 2020 01:59 PM

I think I had that when my cable TV box was too close to my computer.

Armitage72 13th January 2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes (Post 12946819)
Have you tried running Linux?

Now for a real suggestion, the GPU may be causing enough electrical static that the wires might pick up. See if you can find any GPU testing software.

I used to have a set of speakers that were really sensitive to outside signals.

Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop-Bzzzzzzz
Then I would receive a call on my cell phone. Every time.

novaphile 13th January 2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 12952600)
I used to have a set of speakers that were really sensitive to outside signals.

Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop-Bzzzzzzz
Then I would receive a call on my cell phone. Every time.

boop-diddyboop-diddyboop-diddyboop

Ring! Ring!

:)