International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency: Part 25 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346437)

Segnosaur 20th September 2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SezMe (Post 13230121)
True, but in the lame duck, McConnell has far, far less leverage than before the election. The losers don't have to give a damn what he threatens them with and the winners have six years to go before their next election by which time this will be ancient history. Moscow's maximum leverage is right now.

That assumes that reelection is the main motivation.

The GOP senate losers may still vote to confirm a trump nominee in a lame duck session because they are true believers, or because they are being bribed.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

The Great Zaganza 20th September 2020 09:40 AM

Trump's constant attacks against Biden as being tired and senile are going to hurt him bigly in the Debates: all that Biden has to do is being present without falling asleep, and he will have exceeded the expectations Trump has set for him.

thaiboxerken 20th September 2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 13230132)
That assumes that reelection is the main motivation.

The GOP senate losers may still vote to confirm a trump nominee in a lame duck session because they are true believers, or because they are being bribed.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Maybe they have the attitude that they don't have to worry about winning re-election if they control the referees.

Darat 20th September 2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 13230079)
I seriously doubt whether Donald Trump has ever in his entire life opened a piece of mail. It's an activity that combines: minimal physical exertion, minimal physical coordination, a child-level understanding of a centuries-old system of communication, an ability to read, and a desire to intake information from a source other than television. None of those things is in Trump's wheelhouse, and several of them are outright anathema to him.

I'm surprised he mastered the TV remote control.

They also say that Siri has a lawsuit against Apple for intolerable employment clauses.

Darat 20th September 2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13230137)
Trump's constant attacks against Biden as being tired and senile are going to hurt him bigly in the Debates: all that Biden has to do is being present without falling asleep, and he will have exceeded the expectations Trump has set for him.

I want to see Biden coming onto the stage on a unicycle, juggling.

Delphic Oracle 20th September 2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13230114)
Trump jokes that he can ban Biden from becoming President via Executive Order:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1307...857315840?s=20


Democracy is just a joke to his fans.

Even a judge who feels some affinity towards Trump will toss that out as it constitutes the executive usurping a judicial function. Stripping people of their civil liberties and right to participate in politics is a jealously guarded power.

thaiboxerken 20th September 2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle (Post 13230172)
Even a judge who feels some affinity towards Trump will toss that out as it constitutes the executive usurping a judicial function. Stripping people of their civil liberties and right to participate in politics is a jealously guarded power.

Agreed. They don't want it to be that blatantly obvious.

SezMe 20th September 2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 13230132)
That assumes that reelection is the main motivation.

But that is exactly the endless complaint we read about politics, namely, that all they care about is re-election. So it's hardly a big reach to make that assumption.

kookbreaker 20th September 2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13230137)
Trump's constant attacks against Biden as being tired and senile are going to hurt him bigly in the Debates: all that Biden has to do is being present without falling asleep, and he will have exceeded the expectations Trump has set for him.

These are Trumpers. If Biden blinks particularly hard they are going to take it as evidence that Biden is senile, demented, exhausted, trepaned, arthritic, cancerous, and suffering from stagnation o' the lungs.

At least, once Fox News isolates the blinking clip and runs it on repeat.

Darat 20th September 2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kookbreaker (Post 13230176)
These are Trumpers. If Biden blinks particularly hard they are going to take it as evidence that Biden is senile, demented, exhausted, trepaned, arthritic, cancerous, and suffering from stagnation o' the lungs.



At least, once Fox News isolates the blinking clip and runs it on repeat.

Remember because Clinton had a cough and stumbled once she was at death's door and was pretty much nothing but a zombie and had weeks to live. I was so sad to hear of her death on November 6th 2016.

The Great Zaganza 20th September 2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle (Post 13230172)
Even a judge who feels some affinity towards Trump will toss that out as it constitutes the executive usurping a judicial function. Stripping people of their civil liberties and right to participate in politics is a jealously guarded power.

A judge should do more than tossing that out: such an order would be a direct violation of Trump's Oath of Office, and should lead to immediate impeachment.
Just joking about it should.

Safe-Keeper 20th September 2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 13229913)
Government https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1d7UvKWh6M&shutdown. Wall stuff. Multiple things related to COVID. "Liberate <state>." Those just to start, really.

To be fair, there's a lot more in the way of feedback loop between Trump and Fox than anything adversarial - especially when it comes to the relationship between Trump and Hannity, who's been known at times as basically a shadow chief of staff. Still, to be clear, are you actually seriously not aware of how influenced by Fox News Trump is? The sheer number of tweets reacting to one thing or another that was on Fox, alone, should clue you in a bit on the influence there.

All leaders, democratic, dictatorial, or wanabe-dictatorial, have people and agencies they need to keep close if they want to remain in control. Keys to power and all that. With Trump, it's his Alternative Facts propaganda network. Trump needs FOX News, and this means FOX News has some influence over him.

Vox has some depressing examples.

Of course, given it's the tangerine child emperor and not a fully functioning adult, the influence is greater than it should have been ("we told him to blink the lights on and off..."), but given how crucial the alternative facts bubble is for someone as incompetent as Trump, it really goes without saying he needs to let them influence him.

Stacyhs 20th September 2020 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 13229878)


Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They don't want history to be taught; they want a 1950's Cinemascope Widescreen Color Epic version of history as written by the victors losers.

FTFY.

No, I had it right; the victors. They want it taught from the perspective of those who won. That is the story that has been taught for the entire history of our country already. The whitewashed version is what Trump wants, he doesn't want the country's dirty linen aired. Truth be damned. He wants the Disney version of Pocahontas, not the Trail of Tears and the story of broken treaty after broken treaty.

Captain_Swoop 20th September 2020 12:11 PM

Trump Tweets

What a GREAT GUY. A true Winner representing Hispanic Americans!!! Thank you.
Quote Tweet

Chad Prather - Parler @watchchad
@WatchChad
Owner of LA Angels Says 'It's Very Necessary To Vote For President Trump' https://politicalcowboy.com/owner-of...esident-trump/ via @WatchChad

Craig4 20th September 2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13230114)
Trump jokes that he can ban Biden from becoming President via Executive Order:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1307...857315840?s=20


Democracy is just a joke to his fans.

That was a joke in the same way, "Slow the testing down," was a joke.

Elagabalus 20th September 2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13230314)
Trump Tweets

What a GREAT GUY. A true Winner representing Hispanic Americans!!! Thank you.
Quote Tweet

Chad Prather - Parler @watchchad
@WatchChad
Owner of LA Angels Says 'It's Very Necessary To Vote For President Trump' https://politicalcowboy.com/owner-of...esident-trump/ via @WatchChad

No surprise from someone from the O.C.

JoeMorgue 20th September 2020 04:21 PM

An arrest has been made in the case of the Ricin laced letters sent to President Trump. A female suspect has been arrested at the Canadian border. No details as of now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/polit...est/index.html

Steve 20th September 2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13230531)
An arrest has been made in the case of the Ricin laced letters sent to President Trump. A female suspect has been arrested at the Canadian border. No details as of now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/polit...est/index.html

Bringing attention to yourself by trying to cross an effectively closed border is not the mark of a brilliant mind.

Ladewig 20th September 2020 06:20 PM

I followed some of the Twitter links to other Twitter links.

The most vocal Trump supporters don’t like the Lincoln Project, as illustrated by how much they mock the group and how often they make claims of sedition against POTUS.

They don’t point out any LP claim that can be disproved with evidence. It is just “You’re a stupid poopy head.”

Oh, and they are very upset that these seditionists use Lincoln in their title. Very disrespectful and wrong.

pgwenthold 20th September 2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13230605)
I followed some of the Twitter links to other Twitter links.

The most vocal Trump supporters don’t like the Lincoln Project, as illustrated by how much they mock the group and how often they make claims of sedition against POTUS.

They don’t point out any LP claim that can be disproved with evidence. It is just “You’re a stupid poopy head.”

Oh that's not true. They absolutely accuse the LP as being completely dishonest.

Now, they still can't point to anything specific, but it's all dishonest. Apparently.

Regnad Kcin 20th September 2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13229406)
"It was the most beautiful thing, it's called law and order" Trump gloats at his rally about Ali Velshi getting hit by a rubber bullet in Minneapolis. Sick stuff.

A statement from MSNBC:
“Freedom of the press is a pillar of our democracy. When POTUS mocks a journalist for the injury he sustained while putting himself in harm’s way to inform the public, he endangers thousands of other journalists and undermines our freedoms.”

I’m pretty confident Trump could not offer even a molecule of ****.

Puppycow 20th September 2020 07:42 PM

Steering into the Iceberg
 
Dan Carlin's latest Common Sense podcast. He doesn't put out episodes of this podcast very often these days. He mostly sticks to his history podcast (Hardcore History). But we might be at an important historical inflection point.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/co...o-the-iceberg/

I thought about starting a new thread for this, but it's kind of hard to sum up.

Topics covered include how Trump is claiming that the only way he can lose the election is if it's rigged. The Black Lives Matter protests, and other current events.

Galaxie 20th September 2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13229832)
At the latest rally, Trump suggest that Biden will receive an injection of performance enhancing drugs “in the ass” before the debates.

Because he keeps bringing this up, I'm sure now that this will be his escape clause for not debating Biden.

Biden should offer to take a drug test before the debate as long as trump takes one too.

There's no way Trump will want that.

Biden should go up on stage, pull down his pants, and then say, "Take good close look. You won't find any needle marks here, Mr. Trump."

quadraginta 20th September 2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SezMe (Post 13230175)
But that is exactly the endless complaint we read about politics, namely, that all they care about is re-election. So it's hardly a big reach to make that assumption.



I can't speak for others, but when I mention re-election it is in the context of a specific election that a specific individual is participating in.

Aside from that I talk about power and money. Some of which might result from re-election, sure, but cushy lobbying jobs and corporate board sinecures are not to be sneezed at.

Lurch 20th September 2020 11:11 PM

A shocking realization. Just now, when looking at a news program which included a view of the White House with flag at half staff, it hit me that the disgust building within me over the past 4 years has now reached the point where I regard the WH as a loathsome cesspool inhabited by vile creatures. A visceral revulsion is invoked at the sight of it. I think the fetid stench issuing therefrom surpasses that from even the Kremlin. Not least because the joint is *supposed* to be the beacon of democracy, or at least an object of inspiration. But instead it has become a den of traitorous grifters of a decidedly anti-American flavour.

What a strange sensation, to perceive the US center of power as an inimical enemy.

Stacyhs 20th September 2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13230761)
A shocking realization. Just now, when looking at a news program which included a view of the White House with flag at half staff, it hit me that the disgust building within me over the past 4 years has now reached the point where I regard the WH as a loathsome cesspool inhabited by vile creatures. A visceral revulsion is invoked at the sight of it. I think the fetid stench issuing therefrom surpasses that from even the Kremlin. Not least because the joint is *supposed* to be the beacon of democracy, or at least an object of inspiration. But instead it has become a den of traitorous grifters of a decidedly anti-American flavour.

What a strange sensation, to perceive the US center of power as an inimical enemy.

Sad, isn't it? You're not the only one. As a US citizen, I also view the WH with revulsion when I consider the current resident.

Captain_Swoop 21st September 2020 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13230761)
A shocking realization. Just now, when looking at a news program which included a view of the White House with flag at half staff, it hit me that the disgust building within me over the past 4 years has now reached the point where I regard the WH as a loathsome cesspool inhabited by vile creatures. A visceral revulsion is invoked at the sight of it. I think the fetid stench issuing therefrom surpasses that from even the Kremlin. Not least because the joint is *supposed* to be the beacon of democracy, or at least an object of inspiration. But instead it has become a den of traitorous grifters of a decidedly anti-American flavour.

What a strange sensation, to perceive the US centre of power as an inimical enemy.

I think the wall and barricades Trump has had built around the Whitehouse sum up his presidency.
I am surprised Biden's campaign hasn't made more of it.

SezMe 21st September 2020 03:58 AM

I have discovered a simple explanation that explains all of Trump's problems.

Armitage72 21st September 2020 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13230272)
No, I had it right; the victors. They want it taught from the perspective of those who won. That is the story that has been taught for the entire history of our country already. The whitewashed version is what Trump wants, he doesn't want the country's dirty linen aired. Truth be damned. He wants the Disney version of Pocahontas, not the Trail of Tears and the story of broken treaty after broken treaty.


I remember a comic in either Cracked Magazine or Mad Magazine many years ago in which a reporter was interviewing various people, including a couple who regularly protested the content of the history books used at their local school. Their complaints included "knocking Custer and building up them Injuns, or saying that we lost Vietnam. If they paid attention to Westmoreland's body count, they'd know that we won."

Captain_Swoop 21st September 2020 06:33 AM

Trump fox interview
"I meet with foreign leaders of countries, & they have an expression, 'Sir, we are a forest nation.' But they say, 'we have trees that are far more explosive than the trees in California. We don't understand how a thing like that can happen. You have to manage your forest" -

Aridas 21st September 2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13230272)
No, I had it right; the victors. They want it taught from the perspective of those who won. That is the story that has been taught for the entire history of our country already. The whitewashed version is what Trump wants, he doesn't want the country's dirty linen aired. Truth be damned. He wants the Disney version of Pocahontas, not the Trail of Tears and the story of broken treaty after broken treaty.

Mmm. You have a point. Still, I think that it's distinctly incomplete. But then... I also think that it's a big mistake to focus only on the immediate there - especially when many of what seem to be the same forces have been more broadly pushing for educational indoctrination favoring them/their beliefs for quite a while now. To poke at just one of the memorable examples of other things pushed to demonstrate the point - creationism.

JoeMorgue 21st September 2020 06:35 AM

The circle can be squared easily.

Winner definition 1: I got what I wanted
Winner definition 2: The other side didn't get what they wanted.

The Don 21st September 2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13230137)
Trump's constant attacks against Biden as being tired and senile are going to hurt him bigly in the Debates: all that Biden has to do is being present without falling asleep, and he will have exceeded the expectations Trump has set for him.

Sadly no :(

Biden will have to perform flawlessly, any slight flub, hesitation or misspeak will be reported by FOXNews as evidence of senility - and this will then be reported by the mainstream media thus propagating the message (even if they don't mean to).

All President Trump has to do in order for the media to applaud his performance is not to visibly soil himself. Even a racist rant would result in him being applauded for "pivoting to presidential". :mad:

JoeMorgue 21st September 2020 07:29 AM

Yeah if Biden does back handsprings onto the stage and pulls out a chalkboard and solves the Unified Field Theory with one hand and writes out a cure for cancer with the other...

... while Trump's dead corpse does the debate "Weekend at Bernie's Style" the media will still report it as "close."

Safe-Keeper 21st September 2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13230137)
Trump's constant attacks against Biden as being tired and senile are going to hurt him bigly in the Debates: all that Biden has to do is being present without falling asleep, and he will have exceeded the expectations Trump has set for him.

Only to a certain degree, and to the right people. Those living in reality might be disconcerted, and then reassured when they actually see Biden speak.

Those living in a post-fact world see Trump (somehow) as a stable genius, and Biden as a drooling late-stage Alzheimer patient two steps away from the nursing home. You know, like how Clinton was way too old and frail during the 2016 campaign to lead the country.

Even if they do see him speak, they'll fixate on him starting unnaturally into the camera, or other things that confirm their pre-conceived impression that he's losing his grip.

Meanwhile Trump can admit a dementia test is hard for him, and completely forget the five words he was supposed to remember and replace them with words for things he sees right in front of him, and then proceed to struggle to repeat that easy string of words, and his disciples will remain either blissfully unaware, or somehow still convinced he is a stable genius, perfectly capable of running America. Or they'll just go "okay, that's disconcerting, but have you seen these cherry picked video clips of Biden? Would he do a better job?"

The rules go out the window when you live in a post-fact world :( .

The Don 21st September 2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13230968)
Trump fox interview
"I meet with foreign leaders of countries, & they have an expression, 'Sir, we are a forest nation.' But they say, 'we have trees that are far more explosive than the trees in California. We don't understand how a thing like that can happen. You have to manage your forest" -

Which leaders of which foreign countries ?

IMO like so much of what President Trump says, this exchange only happened in his imagination.

Horatius 21st September 2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper (Post 13231064)
Even if they do see him speak, they'll fixate on him starting unnaturally into the camera, or other things that confirm their pre-conceived impression that he's losing his grip.



Yep. These are the same people who can watch a video of AOC efficiently eviscerating a witness in a Congressional hearing, and then post a comment on how "stupid" she is.

thaiboxerken 21st September 2020 07:59 AM

Trump wants courts to declare him winner on election night.

Can we call it fascism now?

Mojo 21st September 2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SezMe (Post 13230861)


Quote:

The brain was larger than the size of his extended hand and was not decomposed, he said.

Clearly not Trump’s.

Giordano 21st September 2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13230974)
The circle can be squared easily.

Winner definition 1: I got what I wanted
Winner definition 2: The other side didn't get what they wanted.

I’ve seen a related phenomenon:

“Person X has benefit y. I don’t have benefit y. That is unfair. I could ask that I get benefit y too. Or that x and I split it. But I prefer you just take benefit y away from x. That would make me happiest.”


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.