International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The thread for stupidity from GQP politicians who don't have their own thread (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356016)

Aridas 26th April 2022 04:14 AM

This might help explain the poorly explained Florida school book choices -

Quote:

FL Gov DeSantis administration rejects over 40 Math textbooks, only ONE Publisher allowed for K-5 Math classes in FL.
Publishing Co: the Carlyle Group. It’s CEO for 25 yrs, is VA Republican Governor, Glenn Youngkin, who has 6.7 Million shares invested in that Company

Norman Alexander 26th April 2022 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 13792312)

How absolutely and entirely ******* predictable. :rolleyes:

Beelzebuddy 26th April 2022 05:47 AM

I think pushing a regimented private industry is the last bit in the dictionary definition of fascism, isn't it? This is their imago, they're now big boy literal fascists instead of aspiring ones. They grow up so fasc.

bruto 26th April 2022 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy (Post 13792357)
I think pushing a regimented private industry is the last bit in the dictionary definition of fascism, isn't it? This is their imago, they're now big boy literal fascists instead of aspiring ones. They grow up so fasc.

A good point, though I also recall long ago (way too long ago to attribute) someone remarking that the sure sign of fascism is when the function of the police is no longer to protect the people but to protect the state against them. I note that DeSantis also just passed a bill to create a corps of election police. Hmmm.

JoeMorgue 26th April 2022 06:48 AM

Okay this isn't really a big deal, way low down on the scale of bad things the Right is doing that we have to worry about, but someone brought it up online and I cannot stop noticing it.

Is there not one single even halfway competent graphics designer that leans Right in this entire country? Why does every flyer for one of those Right Wing Rallies look like someone set down in a Microsoft Paint with a Clip Art CD-ROM from 1994, started designing it, and then never stopped?

It wouldn't be so weird except that generally the Right, the GOP especially, is generally really good at "production." They can be slick and polished a lot easier than the Left generally can. The GOP is generally just better at throwing themselves a party.

But their graphics design, logos, flyers... all just so bad. I mean (speaking on a purely technical design level) the primary Trump logo and the "Make America Great" logos are at least functional, but there's not really any "design" in either of them.

Beelzebuddy 26th April 2022 06:54 AM

Perhaps that is the design? A deliberate statement that anyone who needs a slick presentation should find themselves unwelcome, like grammatical spam errors meant to weed out non-rubes on the political scene? Neo-Brutalism for the internet age.

Can I get a SI SI SI SI SI here?

JoeMorgue 26th April 2022 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy (Post 13792421)
Perhaps that is the design? A deliberate statement that anyone who needs a slick presentation should find themselves unwelcome, like grammatical spam errors meant to weed out non-rubes on the political scene, kind of a neo-Brutalism for the internet age.

Maybe, like and this a weird comparison, the thing they remind me of the most is like a flyer for an underground concert you find at a bus stop or something like that. Almost Zine level. Like a 90s Rap CD cover. So there is some degree of "intentionally not mainstream" there.

But their TV and radio production is far slicker. Hell like their conventions are one step below Wrestlemania. But whenever they make a static image; a logo or a flyer or a print ad... it's always not just bad but this weirdly specific bad.

Again no grand theory or real point, just weird to me is all.

Armitage72 26th April 2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Perhaps that is the design? A deliberate statement that anyone who needs a slick presentation should find themselves unwelcome, like grammatical spam errors meant to weed out non-rubes on the political scene? Neo-Brutalism for the internet age.

I remember a nomination in one of the old Stundie threads in the Conspiracy Theory forum in which someone claimed that consistently using proper spelling and grammar were an indicator of someone being a shill for "them".
They don't want to seem too "elitist".

carlitos 26th April 2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Can I get a SI SI SI SI SI here?

This may be a little cynical, but could it be like those bad spam ads or Nigerian prince letters with intentional misspellings and bad formatting to read out the smart people and only appeal to the gullible?

jimbob 26th April 2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 13792567)
This may be a little cynical, but could it be like those bad spam ads or Nigerian prince letters with intentional misspellings and bad formatting to read out the smart people and only appeal to the gullible?

Was that intentional?

ponderingturtle 26th April 2022 11:25 AM

Opps he did it again.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-...ry?id=84322678

"Madison Cawthorn, a Republican congressman from North Carolina, was caught trying to go through security with a loaded gun at Charlotte Douglas International Airport Tuesday morning, according to multiple sources.

This was the second time the controversial congressman has been stopped trying to bring a weapon through airport security."

Dr. Keith 26th April 2022 12:21 PM

In reference to the posts prior to Mr Cawthorn’s minor mistake:

I think part of it is that a static image will be passed around and reviewed by more people. Much harder to keep it clean. Productions are more likely to be piloted by one person or a very small creative team. Easier to keep them less cluttered.

This is based on my limited experience with marketing.

Bob001 26th April 2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13792673)
In reference to the posts prior to Mr Cawthorn’s minor mistake:

Trying to carry a loaded gun onto to a plane -- for the second time -- is a minor mistake?

JoeMorgue 26th April 2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13792682)
Trying to carry a loaded gun onto to a plane -- for the second time -- is a minor mistake?

A bunch of trolling Right wingers are going to be by any second to explain to us just that...

ponderingturtle 26th April 2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Look gun owners can't be bothered to keep track of where every one of their guns is. This is not an uncommon occurrence.

Dr. Keith 26th April 2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

As others have noted, that is how it will be portrayed. “TSA find hundreds of guns a year, no big deal. In a country where I can carry a gun I may sometimes forget where I can’t carry it. It’s not like it was intentional. Move on snowflake.”

Stacyhs 26th April 2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13792620)
Opps he did it again.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/rep-...ry?id=84322678

"Madison Cawthorn, a Republican congressman from North Carolina, was caught trying to go through security with a loaded gun at Charlotte Douglas International Airport Tuesday morning, according to multiple sources.

This was the second time the controversial congressman has been stopped trying to bring a weapon through airport security."

The first MIGHT, POSSIBLY, WITHING THE REALM OF PERHAPS been a mistake (but not probably, likely). The second one: stupidity.

Paul2 26th April 2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13792723)
The second one: stupidity.

Or arrogance.

Bob001 26th April 2022 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 13792717)
As others have noted, that is how it will be portrayed. “TSA find hundreds of guns a year, no big deal. In a country where I can carry a gun I may sometimes forget where I can’t carry it. It’s not like it was intentional. Move on snowflake.”

Well, it does seem to happen a lot.
Quote:

TSA officers discovered 3,257 firearms in carry-on luggage during airport screenings in 2020. That number represents about 10 guns found for every one million passengers, more than double the rate from 2019.
https://www.travelawaits.com/2561039...the-most-guns/

On the other hand, it involves a tiny percentage of travelers. Maybe the penalty should include some mandatory jail time or a lifetime ban from air travel.

Stacyhs 26th April 2022 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13792765)

On the other hand, it involves a tiny percentage of travelers. Maybe the penalty should include some mandatory jail time or a lifetime ban from air travel.

How many of them were loaded and a second offense? Remember Cawthorn also was ticketed twice for driving while suspended. He doesn't seem to learn.

dudalb 26th April 2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13792801)
How many of them were loaded and a second offense? Remember Cawthorn also was ticketed twice for driving while suspended. He doesn't seem to learn.

With his attitude that the rules don't apply to me, he would not have lasted a week at Annapolis.
No wonder he never became a Middie.

dudalb 26th April 2022 04:14 PM

Rand Paul pretty much blamed the US for the war in Ukraine today.
It's offical, Rand has become as kooky as his daddy.
The Apple don't fall far from the tree , as the saying goes....

Beelzebuddy 26th April 2022 04:24 PM

He's always been worse. At least his dad has principles.

Carlotta 26th April 2022 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13792765)

It seems to happen relatively frequently at the magnificent Richmond International Airport, one of the major ones, dontcha know! :rolleyes:

Stacyhs 26th April 2022 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13792825)
With his attitude that the rules don't apply to me, he would not have lasted a week at Annapolis.
No wonder he never became a Middie.

Yeah, too bad his car accident kept him from going. :rolleyes:

Dr. Keith 26th April 2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Lucky our mods aren’t in charge in the real world. He’d have a two week suspension by now.

Lennart Hyland 26th April 2022 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13792827)

Yeah he is trying to imply that the Biden Administrations warnings of an invasion and their (allegedely) talking about a Ukraine joining Nato somehow drove Russia to invade Ukraine...

Norman Alexander 27th April 2022 12:53 AM

Quote:

...capable of learning.

Aridas 27th April 2022 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13793028)
...capable of learning.

Being capable of learning is not the same thing as being willing to learn. Remember, this is the guy who lied about a lot of things as he sold himself. Best friend left him in the accident causing him to lose out on his chance to join a prestigious school, for example, when the school had already rejected him beforehand and his friend did help get him out. Cawthorn is a POS.

Ethan Thane Athen 27th April 2022 01:03 AM

Quote:

Maybe (even likely) but some publishers don't help themselves - Bill Maher showed one of the 'problematic' maths questions in one of the banned books on his show the other night and it had a chart question based around attitudes to minorities by political affiliation or something similar. Completely unnecessary.

He did point out that was the worst of just 4 examples that had been given so he did put it into context but why feel the need to bring politics into a maths question. It just gives the Right more ammunition.

Norman Alexander 27th April 2022 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13792827)

He's still trying to hammer that giant square peg into a tiny round hole.

kevbo 27th April 2022 01:18 AM

Quote:

... The second one: stupidity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul2 (Post 13792762)
Or arrogance.

I suggest both.

ponderingturtle 27th April 2022 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen (Post 13793033)
Maybe (even likely) but some publishers don't help themselves - Bill Maher showed one of the 'problematic' maths questions in one of the banned books on his show the other night and it had a chart question based around attitudes to minorities by political affiliation or something similar. Completely unnecessary.

He did point out that was the worst of just 4 examples that had been given so he did put it into context but why feel the need to bring politics into a maths question. It just gives the Right more ammunition.

Yea common core references are totally wrong in math.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fl...l-race-theory/

Susheel 27th April 2022 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen (Post 13793033)

I think a major issue is the oft repeated query by thickies..."What use is all this math we are learning today? Where are we ever going to use it?"

Attempting to put math within the context of analysing and making sense of the world around you? Why should the so called "left liberals" (at least what passes for them in the US) constantly tread on egg shells so that they don't hurt thick-headed conservative "feels"? Talk about who is calling who "snowflakes".

bruto 27th April 2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 13793032)
Being capable of learning is not the same thing as being willing to learn. Remember, this is the guy who lied about a lot of things as he sold himself. Best friend left him in the accident causing him to lose out on his chance to join a prestigious school, for example, when the school had already rejected him beforehand and his friend did help get him out. Cawthorn is a POS.

And, of course, he's still in office, right? What's to learn, other than that he's a Republican and can get away with it?

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Well there you go. That needs a louder voice. I wonder if Rachel Maddow will be on that case?

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

The first MIGHT, POSSIBLY, WITHING THE REALM OF PERHAPS been a mistake (but not probably, likely). The second one: stupidity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul2 (Post 13792762)
Or arrogance.

Or on purpose to get publicity.

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland (Post 13792972)
Yeah he is trying to imply that the Biden Administrations warnings of an invasion and their (allegedely) talking about a Ukraine joining Nato somehow drove Russia to invade Ukraine...

And when reminded Ukraine was not the only country Russia has invaded recently he shifted to some horrid POV that Russia had a right to invade any of the countries that were previously in the USSR.

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 13793071)
Yea common core references are totally wrong in math.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fl...l-race-theory/

That's weird. They rate the claim as true then go on to say said references are not in the textbooks in question. :confused:

gnome 27th April 2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13793403)
That's weird. They rate the claim as true then go on to say said references are not in the textbooks in question. :confused:

They're affirming that Florida indeed took this action and announced it was for the given reasons.