International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The thread for stupidity from GQP politicians who don't have their own thread (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356016)

dudalb 10th March 2022 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13753849)
This is the same guy who lied about his friend leaving him for dead in the car after the accident (his now ex-friend actually pulled him out of the burning car), lying about the accident ending his going to the Naval Academy when he'd already been rejected before the accident, and had several claims of harassing women while in college, etc. He's an idiot.

I'd like to know what his license was revoked for but it's protected information.

I have to congratulate the US Naval Academy at Annapolis for having the forsight to reject Cawthorn when he tried to become a Midshipman.

Jim_MDP 11th March 2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 13753782)

'pushing woke idelogies' ? WTF?
I thought the line was they were Nazis.
"Woke Nazis"? What the actual.

I swear .. if Cawthorn stupidly gave someone an esoteric win in Apocalypse Bingo, I'm gonna be super pissed. :(

Stacyhs 11th March 2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP (Post 13754632)
'pushing woke idelogies' ? WTF?
I thought the line was they were Nazis.
"Woke Nazis"? What the actual.

I swear .. if Cawthorn stupidly gave someone an esoteric win in Apocalypse Bingo, I'm gonna be super pissed. :(

I woke up in a sweat after having a nightmare that Cawthorne and Boebert have a baby together.

Jim_MDP 11th March 2022 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13754748)
I woke up in a sweat after having a nightmare that Cawthorne and Boebert have a baby together.

There was no cause for putting that idea in our heads... none whatsoever. :(

.

:)

Stacyhs 12th March 2022 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP (Post 13754837)
There was no cause for putting that idea in our heads... none whatsoever. :(

.

:)

Be comforted by the thought that MTG is past childbearing years at 47.

ponderingturtle 14th March 2022 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13753849)
This is the same guy who lied about his friend leaving him for dead in the car after the accident (his now ex-friend actually pulled him out of the burning car), lying about the accident ending his going to the Naval Academy when he'd already been rejected before the accident, and had several claims of harassing women while in college, etc. He's an idiot.

I'd like to know what his license was revoked for but it's protected information.

He also has a challenge to his ability to run for reelection on the grounds that he supported insurrection against the government.

Ladewig 14th March 2022 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP (Post 13754632)
'pushing woke idelogies' ? WTF?
I thought the line was they were Nazis.
"Woke Nazis"? What the actual.

I swear .. if Cawthorn stupidly gave someone an esoteric win in Apocalypse Bingo, I'm gonna be super pissed. :(

When it comes to name calling, the Republicans have no problem with mixing labels. Communist Nazis and socialist fascists are perfectly acceptable terms when trying to vilify liberals. Words are chosen not for their meanings but rather for the emotions they stir.

ETA
The Ukrainian President is Jewish, but that didn’t stop the Russians and a few Republicans from calling him a Nazi.

MORE ETA
Which is why the liberals are always wasting energy on the wrong things. We foolishly think that pointing out that there are no Jewish Nazis will stop people from calling him a Nazi.

Shadowdweller 14th March 2022 11:45 PM

Right-wing loon and Idaho gubernatorial candidate Ammon Bundy (son of Cliven), of the Malheur Wildlife refuge debacle here in Oregon, has been calling for a crusade against child protective services. And generally trying to interfere. For taking a severely malnourished child away from neglectful parents. Bundy has been whining that the child was "medically kidnapped."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ida...te-2022-03-13/

Stacyhs 15th March 2022 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller (Post 13757100)
Right-wing loon and Idaho gubernatorial candidate Ammon Bundy (son of Cliven), of the Malheur Wildlife refuge debacle here in Oregon, has been calling for a crusade against child protective services. And generally trying to interfere. For taking a severely malnourished child away from neglectful parents. Bundy has been whining that the child was "medically kidnapped."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ida...te-2022-03-13/

He has a damn good chance of being elected in right wing loony Idaho.

SuburbanTurkey 15th March 2022 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13757114)
He has a damn good chance of being elected in right wing loony Idaho.

Really gotta thank the feds for absolutely bungling the case against this guy, allowing him to walk scott free from that massive showdown. He enjoyed all the benefits of being a martyr while never actually being incarcerated, all the while giving the conspiratorial right a huge win against an incompetent and unethical government. Well done!

turingtest 15th March 2022 04:11 PM

There has got to be a place in this thread for Herschel Walker wondering "why are there still apes?" (The Spun via MSN) He seriously did say that, and his little "think about it" addition is especially precious coming from someone who so obviously hasn't taken the time to do any thinking at all before just blurting out something as ridiculous as that. I mean, no, we don't expect our politicians to be up on the latest in evolution science; but, c'mon man! This is something that, IIRC, even Answers In Genesis has said should be discarded as too dumb an argument to use. Shouldn't we expect folks like Walker who aspire to political leadership in a country which once led the way in technology and science to have a little basic knowledge in those subjects, and, if they don't, to, oh I dunno, maybe "think about it" before opening your yob on them?

This is just so depressing to me- I'm beginning to think, with such undisguised, even proud ignorance like this so common, that the real question is why are there still humans?

slyjoe 15th March 2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 13757654)
There has got to be a place in this thread for Herschel Walker wondering "why are there still apes?" (The Spun via MSN) He seriously did say that, and his little "think about it" addition is especially precious coming from someone who so obviously hasn't taken the time to do any thinking at all before just blurting out something as ridiculous as that. I mean, no, we don't expect our politicians to be up on the latest in evolution science; but, c'mon man! This is something that, IIRC, even Answers In Genesis has said should be discarded as too dumb an argument to use. Shouldn't we expect folks like Walker who aspire to political leadership in a country which once led the way in technology and science to have a little basic knowledge in those subjects, and, if they don't, to, oh I dunno, maybe "think about it" before opening your yob on them?

This is just so depressing to me- I'm beginning to think, with such undisguised, even proud ignorance like this so common, that the real question is why are there still humans?

I hear ya. And he hasn't been elected yet. Think how many Congress critters know why this is a dumb question.

turingtest 15th March 2022 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13757660)
I hear ya. And he hasn't been elected yet. Think how many Congress critters know why this is a dumb question.

It's the sort of "think about it!" idiocy that your average dumbass who calls in to pontificate on right-wing radio would think was a clever thing to say. And therein, I think, lies a big part of the problem- the modern GOP has spent so much time, effort, and money pandering to that demographic that they have become them; there's a certain amount of "sunk cost" fallacy involved that makes it harder for them to back away from the stupidity than to just carry on with it.

slyjoe 15th March 2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 13757675)
It's the sort of "think about it!" idiocy that your average dumbass who calls in to pontificate on right-wing radio would think was a clever thing to say. And therein, I think, lies a big part of the problem- the modern GOP has spent so much time, effort, and money pandering to that demographic that they have become them; there's a certain amount of "sunk cost" fallacy involved that makes it harder for them to back away from the stupidity than to just carry on with it.

Or just even potential sunk cost. To stay dumb is lazy. And the GOP is nothing if not lazy.

turingtest 15th March 2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13757680)
Or just even potential sunk cost. To stay dumb is lazy. And the GOP is nothing if not lazy.

There are still some thinking conservatives in the party who aren't such slaves to that sort of inertia; I guess we can still hope that, at some point, they will assert themselves forcefully enough to keep their party's sunk cost from becoming the whole country's. I may not agree with them on policy, but there would at least be some policy to debate beyond just "hurr durr."

slyjoe 15th March 2022 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingtest (Post 13757688)
There are still some thinking conservatives in the party who aren't such slaves to that sort of inertia; I guess we can still hope that, at some point, they will assert themselves forcefully enough to keep their party's sunk cost from becoming the whole country's. I may not agree with them on policy, but there would at least be some policy to debate beyond just "hurr durr."

Sure. But I think they are few and far between. Did you have anyone in mind?

turingtest 15th March 2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13757700)
Sure. But I think they are few and far between. Did you have anyone in mind?

(Shrug) Romney, for one. Kasich, who used to be governor of Ohio (no idea what he's been up to lately), Hogan of Maryland, even Liz Cheney. As I said, I might not agree with them on their ideas or policies, would probably even disagree vehemently, but it would be nice to see some policy to debate more elevated than (for example) Hawley's pandering fist pump or Trump's ceaseless whining about losing in 2020.

But, yeah- they are few and far between.

Bob001 16th March 2022 09:23 AM

Senate candidate (Repub of course) claims if evolution was true there could be no apes.
Quote:

Herschel Walker, the leading candidate for the Republican Senate nomination in Georgia, questioned evolution at an event over the weekend, asking why apes still exist if humans have evolved from them.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...re-still-apes/

pgwenthold 16th March 2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13758180)
Senate candidate (Repub of course) claims if evolution was true there could be no apes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...re-still-apes/

Note that the creationist organization Answers in Genesis recommends against using this argument.

SuburbanTurkey 16th March 2022 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgwenthold (Post 13758189)
Note that the creationist organization Answers in Genesis recommends against using this argument.

At the rate we're making animal species go extinct, this argument may not be valid in the future anyway.

Armitage72 16th March 2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13758180)
Senate candidate (Repub of course) claims if evolution was true there could be no apes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...re-still-apes/


Quote from the article:
“You know, now you’re getting too smart for us, Herschel,” Allen responded. (Chuck Allen, lead pastor of Sugar Hill Church)

I doubt that he intended to insult everyone in the audience, but there you go.

Stacyhs 16th March 2022 12:01 PM

Herschel will fit right in with the rest of the stable geniuses in the GOP.

Captain_Swoop 18th March 2022 02:09 AM

Wendy Rogers, AZ State Senator tweeted

@WendyRogersAZ
The laptop is real and the election was stolen. Remember that.

Captain_Swoop 18th March 2022 02:11 AM

Kari Lake the Trump-Endorsed Candidate for Arizona Governor tweeted

@KariLake
The Corporate Media Cabal killed the Hunter Biden laptop story. They are CRIMINALS. #DefundTheMedia

slyjoe 18th March 2022 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13759867)
Wendy Rogers, AZ State Senator tweeted

@WendyRogersAZ
The laptop is real and the election was stolen. Remember that.

Great - more Arizona embarassments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13759869)
Kari Lake the Trump-Endorsed Candidate for Arizona Governor tweeted

@KariLake
The Corporate Media Cabal killed the Hunter Biden laptop story. They are CRIMINALS. #DefundTheMedia

Pretty ironic since she was a long-time anchor on the local Fox channel. And by the way, what does DefundtheMedia even mean? Take away government funding for PBS?

Armitage72 18th March 2022 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13759950)
And by the way, what does DefundtheMedia even mean? Take away government funding for PBS?


We've seen it before. Invoke the magic words used by "the other side" to try to produce the same effect, regardless of whether they're appropriate in the context or their meaning is understood. Like a cargo cult.

Stacyhs 18th March 2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13759867)
Wendy Rogers, AZ State Senator tweeted

@WendyRogersAZ
The laptop is real and the election was stolen. Remember that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13759869)
Kari Lake the Trump-Endorsed Candidate for Arizona Governor tweeted

@KariLake
The Corporate Media Cabal killed the Hunter Biden laptop story. They are CRIMINALS. #DefundTheMedia

Some people are just set on parading their idiocy in public. Do these Republicans have stock in the clown shoe manufacturing industry?

slyjoe 18th March 2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13760164)
Some people are just set on parading their idiocy in public. Do these Republicans have stock in the clown shoe manufacturing industry?

There is an AZ lawsuit to eliminate all early voting, like mail in ballots and absentee ballots. Which would mean the military couldn't vote. There has been a single amicus brief filed by, wait for it..., Kari Lake.

ETA: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/7055208001/

RecoveringYuppy 18th March 2022 03:09 PM

I think this may cover the same subject as slyjoe's link (which I also suspect most people won't be able to see):

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...ing-in-arizona

kevbo 18th March 2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13759867)
Wendy Rogers, AZ State Senator tweeted

@WendyRogersAZ
The laptop is real and the election was stolen. Remember that.

I don't ever remember believing that the laptop might not be real (after all the FBI was reported to have custody of it), only that what was claimed to be on it was not real.

And the New York Post story doesn't say anything about communications with President Biden being discovered on it that raise any concerns. If there were, you would think they might lead with that in their article.

People like this with their conspiracy wishes are just beyond the pale.

Stacyhs 18th March 2022 04:31 PM

Kari Lake is, shall we say, NUTZ? She's been all over the place when it comes to politics.

Lake was a registered Republican pre-2006, registered Indie from 2006-2008, a registered Democrat from 2008-2012 and voted for Obama, and a registered Republican from 3012 to present. She's changed parties more often than Trump has changed wives. And that's saying something!

Quote:

Lake is a Republican candidate in the 2022 Arizona gubernatorial election. She is politically aligned with Donald Trump, who has endorsed her.[3] During her campaign, she has made false claims about the 2020 presidential election, in which Trump was only the second Republican to lose Arizona since 1948.[4][5] She has called for imprisoning Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs on baseless and unspecified allegations of criminality related to the 2020 election; Hobbs is also a candidate for governor in 2022.[6] Lake has been endorsed by Arizona congressman Paul Gosar, former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn, and MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell.
(Wikipedia)

Gosar, Flynn, and Lindell: the trifecta of bat**** crazy!

DevilsAdvocate 18th March 2022 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13760417)
Kari Lake is, shall we say, NUTZ? She's been all over the place when it comes to politics.

I thought that name sounded familiar. I went to school with her. I didn't know her really well. She was hot.

tyr_13 18th March 2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevbo (Post 13760395)
I don't ever remember believing that the laptop might not be real (after all the FBI was reported to have custody of it), only that what was claimed to be on it was not real.

And the New York Post story doesn't say anything about communications with President Biden being discovered on it that raise any concerns. If there were, you would think they might lead with that in their article.

People like this with their conspiracy wishes are just beyond the pale.

You don't understand; Hunter Biden once owned a laptop.

Therefore, Trump is Eternal PresidentTM.

/s

Checkmite 31st March 2022 08:17 PM

A little while ago, Cawthorn gave an interview in which he claimed that since coming to Washington he had been invited to mass orgies and "people he once respected" had done cocaine right in front of him. This is of course nonsense; Cawthorn was just engaging in standard Q-mongering for the benefit of his base about Washington elites being a depraved cabal and whatnot, and he personally has seen nothing of the sort.

But Cawthorn probably didn't realize at the time that personalizing the rumor in the way he chose to, directly implicated his Republican colleagues in Congress. This has caused them to panic - not because they have been "exposed" or anything like that, but because they are aware of the dangers of being implicated by these kinds of rumors, since these are exactly the kinds of claims they themselves weaponize against Democrats and other "liberals". So Cawthorn's House colleagues have emphatically expressed anger at his interview and demanded that he name names, as a way of defending themselves.

The result is that GOP House leader Kevin McCarthy has had to take Cawthorn aside for an uncomfortable chat, and it's possible that Cawthorn might end up censured over his comments since he admitted they were essentially baseless.

Paul2 31st March 2022 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkmite (Post 13771720)
A little while ago, Cawthorn gave an interview in which he claimed that since coming to Washington he had been invited to mass orgies and "people he once respected" had done cocaine right in front of him. This is of course nonsense; Cawthorn was just engaging in standard Q-mongering for the benefit of his base about Washington elites being a depraved cabal and whatnot, and he personally has seen nothing of the sort.

But Cawthorn probably didn't realize at the time that personalizing the rumor in the way he chose to, directly implicated his Republican colleagues in Congress. This has caused them to panic - not because they have been "exposed" or anything like that, but because they are aware of the dangers of being implicated by these kinds of rumors, since these are exactly the kinds of claims they themselves weaponize against Democrats and other "liberals". So Cawthorn's House colleagues have emphatically expressed anger at his interview and demanded that he name names, as a way of defending themselves.

The result is that GOP House leader Kevin McCarthy has had to take Cawthorn aside for an uncomfortable chat, and it's possible that Cawthorn might end up censured over his comments since he admitted they were essentially baseless.

Ah, what a tangled web.

Stacyhs 31st March 2022 11:30 PM

My money is on Cawthorn not being censured.

What's funny is that I'd bet Cawthorn hasn't been invited to any Dem 'parties' so that only leaves his fellow Republicans.

Joecool 31st March 2022 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13760361)
There is an AZ lawsuit to eliminate all early voting, like mail in ballots and absentee ballots. Which would mean the military couldn't vote. There has been a single amicus brief filed by, wait for it..., Kari Lake.

ETA: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/7055208001/

One of the states with the most "restrictive" voting laws is Delaware. You know, Joke Biden's state. And what did Joke do in his 40+ years as Senator?

Nada, nothing, zero, zilch. You guys are funny.

Checkmite 1st April 2022 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecool (Post 13771785)
One of the states with the most "restrictive" voting laws is Delaware. You know, Joke Biden's state. And what did Joke do in his 40+ years as Senator?

My guess is that during his 40+ years as Senator he participated in business of the US Senate - which, coincidentally, doesn't have control over Delaware's state voting laws.

Stacyhs 1st April 2022 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecool (Post 13771785)
One of the states with the most "restrictive" voting laws is Delaware. You know, Joke Biden's state. And what did Joke do in his 40+ years as Senator?

Nada, nothing, zero, zilch. You guys are funny.

You really need to get out more:

Quote:

"Here's the big difference: New York, New Jersey, Delaware have all moved increasingly in the last few years to increase options for voting, while Georgia, Texas, Iowa have gone the opposite direction," said Bob Brandon, president and CEO of the nonpartisan Fair Elections Center, which advocates for removing barriers to the ballot box.

Colorado, for example, "led the way in expanding ways and options to vote and as a result has among the highest turnout of any state around the country," he said.
Quote:

New Jersey already has no-excuse mail voting; Delaware legislators are considering expanding mail voting to all voters, as well.

The trajectory of laws and election administration must be considered, experts said.

"If we want to talk about comparing one state to comparing the other, let's see what trajectory they're on. There's no question that Georgia, which already had a number of limits, has tried to make it even more difficult," Brandon said.

shemp 1st April 2022 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13771855)

They live in the Fact-free Universe, so when they venture into Reality and are confronted with facts they must either double down or bravely run away.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.