International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Trump Presidency 13: The (James) Baker's Dozen (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334733)

Belz... 11th February 2019 10:12 AM

The Trump Presidency 13: The (James) Baker's Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12596719)
Trump Tweets

The Democrats are so self righteous and ANGRY! Loosen up and have some fun. The Country is doing well!

:id:

Mod Info Continued from here
Posted By:kmortis

Doubt 11th February 2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12595926)
Trump lied and said auto manufacturers are "already moving factories back to the United States".

Reuters reports.

Since the start of the year GM alone has closed four US factories and laid off 4,500 workers.

Instead they invested $3 BILLION in factories in Brazil.

There was a very small grain of truth in Trumps previous claims. But of course that bit of truth had nothing to do with him.

I used to work for American Axle for a few years. American Axle was originally a part of General Motors. GM decided to start making some axles for themselves again. This was a known plan at least 2 years before Trump was elected. American Axle would lose some of that business in Mexico and the new GM axles would be made in Grand Rapids Michigan. The loss for American Axle was not a large one and GM remains their biggest customer in Mexico and world wide.

The actual switch happened after Trump was elected. To make up for that American Axle went after more business from Ford, Chrysler, and Nissan and ended up needing more capacity since the new business in Mexico outweighed the loss of work pulled back into GM. Trump claimed credit for the move to the US for GM that he had nothing to do with.

alfaniner 11th February 2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Trump Tweets

The Democrats are so self righteous and ANGRY! Loosen up and have some fun. The Country is doing well!

Trump Tweets

Will be heading to El Paso very soon. Big speech on Border Security and much else tonight. Tremendous crowd! See you later!
I have to wonder if the doc prescribed some new "happy" meds after The PDJT's annual physical exam yesterday.

phiwum 11th February 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12596726)
Quote:

Trump Tweets
:id:

Is it just me or does that sound like a regrettable pickup line pitched to a feminist?

autumn1971 11th February 2019 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12596824)
Is it just me or does that sound like a regrettable pickup line pitched to a feminist?

“The state of the Union is shagadelic Baby!!”

dudalb 11th February 2019 11:47 AM

The Democrats are having a few setbacks, and Trump is going on the offensive.

Upchurch 11th February 2019 11:50 AM

The country is doing well! But not too well. Please still be terrified of brown people from the south!

dudalb 11th February 2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Strenght Through Joy......

dudalb 11th February 2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Upchurch (Post 12596864)
The country is doing well! But not too well. Please still be terrified of brown people from the south!

Country might be doing well, but Democracy is not....

dudalb 11th February 2019 12:10 PM

His El Paso speech is going to one huge pander to his White Nationalist base.

Segnosaur 11th February 2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Trump Tweets

He's right.

I mean, so what if you're a middle class taxpayer who will see their tax bill rise within the next decade (to levels hire than they were under Obama) as parts of the republican tax cuts expire?

And so what if you're one of the ~4 million americans who are now without Health care coverage due in part to actions by the Trump administration? After all, what could go wrong?

And so what if you're a woman who's reproduction rights will now be decided upon by a guy who "likes beer"?

I mean, none of those are reasons to be upset. It should be a 24 hour party.

Ladewig 11th February 2019 12:22 PM

President Trump says he works more hours than all previous presidents. That might true; but it is not necessarily a good thing. Previous presidents might have spent an hour or two understanding the intricacies of a complex issue. If Trump spends 12 hours on the same subject but comes away with less understanding, then he is working longer hours.

That is a hypothetical. A kooky one, in fact. Trump would never spend 12 hours trying to understand something.

Belz... 11th February 2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 12596919)
President Trump says he works more hours than all previous presidents. That might true; but it is not necessarily a good thing. Previous presidents might have spent an hour or two understanding the intricacies of a complex issue. If Trump spends 12 hours on the same subject but comes away with less understanding, then he is working longer hours.

That is a hypothetical. A kooky one, in fact. Trump would never spend 12 hours trying to understand something.

He wouldn't spend 12 seconds trying to understand something. No need, in fact -- his guts are enough.

pgwenthold 11th February 2019 12:38 PM

OK, I can't see this thread and had to come to it from the old one. I'm guessing the official first person is on my ignore list.

Captain_Swoop 11th February 2019 12:40 PM

Trump Tweets

Trump 52% approval jolts Washington!
Best in Years - Drudge Report

carlitos 11th February 2019 12:49 PM

From realclearpolitics, that 52% is a Rassmussen Reports poll among likely voters. That +5 approve / disapprove is definitely an outlier. The more inclusive registered voter, or just all Americans are much more negative towards the President, resulting in an average spread of -11.8 approve / disapprove.

President Trump Job Approval
Job Approval on Economy | Job Approval on Foreign Policy | Congressional Job Approval | Direction of the Country
Polling Data
Poll
Date
Sample
Approve
Disapprove
Spread
RCP Average
1/24 - 2/10
--
Rasmussen Reports
2/6 - 2/10
1500 LV
+5
The Hill/HarrisX
2/7 - 2/8
1002 RV
Economist/YouGov
2/2 - 2/5
1294 RV
Reuters/Ipsos
1/30 - 2/5
2470 A
Politico/Morning Consult
2/1 - 2/2
1993 RV
CNN
1/30 - 2/2
RV
Quinnipiac
1/25 - 1/28
1004 RV
IBD/TIPP
1/24 - 2/1
905 A
Monmouth
1/25 - 1/27
735 RV

Segnosaur 11th February 2019 12:56 PM

So Trump's schedule was leaked, showing that he shows an extensive amount in what is labeled unstructured "executive time" (Basically believed to be time Trump spends watching TV, tweeting, and other similar activities.)

Trump claims "I'm really working hard".

Chief of staff Mulvaney claimed they were going to find the leaker.

And in response? A second leak showing pretty much what the first leak showed.

From: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...me/2832329002/
Just hours after White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney declared that he expected to identify the staffer who leaked President Donald Trump's personal schedule to the news media within the week, new copies of the president's schedule were published online.

Norman Alexander 11th February 2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12596946)
Trump Tweets

Rasmussen poll, via Breitbart and Daily Mail probably, echoed by Fox. That's who Trump listens to exclusively.

Here's FiveThirtyEight, 55% disapproval.

dudalb 11th February 2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 12596968)
From realclearpolitics, that 52% is a Rassmussen Reports poll among likely voters. That +5 approve / disapprove is definitely an outlier. The more inclusive registered voter, or just all Americans are much more negative towards the President, resulting in an average spread of -11.8 approve / disapprove.

President Trump Job Approval
Job Approval on Economy | Job Approval on Foreign Policy | Congressional Job Approval | Direction of the Country
Polling Data
Poll
Date
Sample
Approve
Disapprove
Spread
RCP Average
1/24 - 2/10
--
Rasmussen Reports
2/6 - 2/10
1500 LV
+5
The Hill/HarrisX
2/7 - 2/8
1002 RV
Economist/YouGov
2/2 - 2/5
1294 RV
Reuters/Ipsos
1/30 - 2/5
2470 A
Politico/Morning Consult
2/1 - 2/2
1993 RV
CNN
1/30 - 2/2
RV
Quinnipiac
1/25 - 1/28
1004 RV
IBD/TIPP
1/24 - 2/1
905 A
Monmouth
1/25 - 1/27
735 RV

When I first saw that Trump Tweet, I thought "He's gotta be talking about a Rasmussan poll".

JoeMorgue 11th February 2019 01:31 PM

Even beyond all that even within his own context he's bragging that "A very little more than half" of Americans approve of him.

I mean sure... yay you I guess.

Segnosaur 11th February 2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12596984)
Quote:

Trump Tweets
Rasmussen poll, via Breitbart and Daily Mail probably, echoed by Fox. That's who Trump listens to exclusively.

The other thing that's amazing... even if the Rasmussen poll were accurate, you're still talking about only a 52% approval rating. Yeah, that's a majority, but its a verrrry small majority. Even Obama managed to get approval ratings in the 60s on Rasmussen. Yet Trump is stuck way down in the low 50s.

jimbob 11th February 2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12596984)

Here's FiveThirtyEight, 55% disapproval.

The really odd thing is how his approval has improved since the shutdown stopped.

Nate Silver did predict that though.

Segnosaur 11th February 2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12597049)
The really odd thing is how his approval has improved since the shutdown stopped.

I don't really think that's odd at all. His typical supporters aren't very smart, and probably have memory spans similar to that of a goldfish. They will soon forget whatever problems occurred as a result of the shutdown.

I think the bigger challenge will happen further into tax season, when more and more people find their income tax refunds are smaller than they were last year. (Note: Much of that is due to problems calculating the amount to take off on each pay check, but it should still affect Trump's popularity.)

The Man 11th February 2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12597153)
I don't really think that's odd at all. His typical supporters aren't very smart, and probably have memory spans similar to that of a goldfish. They will soon forget whatever problems occurred as a result of the shutdown.

I think the bigger challenge will happen further into tax season, when more and more people find their income tax refunds are smaller than they were last year. (Note: Much of that is due to problems calculating the amount to take off on each pay check, but it should still affect Trump's popularity.)

As it turns out mine is about the same as always, even with the withholding being lower. I promised it to Moebob for a car but even she expected it to be lower due to the tax bill. Must be right in the sweet spot, still I'd rather the bill wasn't passed.

Segnosaur 11th February 2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 12597216)
Quote:

As it turns out mine is about the same as always, even with the withholding being lower. I promised it to Moebob for a car but even she expected it to be lower due to the tax bill. Must be right in the sweet spot, still I'd rather the bill wasn't passed.

That will probably be even more the case in a few years when the personal tax cuts expire and your tax rates climb back up.

The Man 11th February 2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12597232)
That will probably be even more the case in a few years when the personal tax cuts expire and your tax rates climb back up.

Nope, can't be any more the case as I was already well aware of the expiration of the personal but not corporate cuts when it was enacted.

What good does a voter bribe do if they don't need to vote for you to keep the bribe coming?

newyorkguy 11th February 2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12597232)

And the Republicon-artists can then blame it on whatever Dem is in the White House post-2020.

Captain_Swoop 11th February 2019 04:15 PM

Trump Tweets

40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The regime in Iran has produced only #40YearsofFailure. The long-suffering Iranian people deserve a much brighter future.

۴۰ سال فساد. ۴۰ سال سرکوب. ۴۰ سال ترور. رژیم ایران فقط موجب #چهل_سال_شکست شده است. مردم ایران که مدتهاست در رنجند شایسته آینده روشن تری هستند

(Translates as)
40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The Iranian regime is just spurred #چهل_سال_شکست a trend that the people of Iran. "in the future are more deserving have clear

Cabbage 11th February 2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12597049)

Nate Silver did predict that though.

Don't forget there's also the expected boost from the SOTU.

Captain_Swoop 11th February 2019 04:17 PM

Trump Tweets

Coal is an important part of our electricity generation mix and @TVAnews should give serious consideration to all factors before voting to close viable power plants, like Paradise #3 in Kentucky!

Captain_Swoop 11th February 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12596946)
Trump Tweets

Trump has 'pinned' this tweet.
It is always at the top of his feed.

Tero 11th February 2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12596824)

Is his prostate acting up again? He has not been happy since he pulled out of Stormy.

Norman Alexander 11th February 2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12597153)

Interestingly, goldfish actually have reasonably good memory spans. Even snails can be taught very simple lessons that they will retain for some time. So Trump's base has a memory span worse than a goldfish, and even than a snail. Sheesh.

Norman Alexander 11th February 2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12597255)
Trump Tweets

40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The regime in Iran has produced only #40YearsofFailure. The long-suffering Iranian people deserve a much brighter future.

۴۰ سال فساد. ۴۰ سال سرکوب. ۴۰ سال ترور. رژیم ایران فقط موجب #چهل_سال_شکست شده است. مردم ایران که مدتهاست در رنجند شایسته آینده روشن تری هستند

(Translates as)
40 years of corruption. 40 years of repression. 40 years of terror. The Iranian regime is just spurred #چهل_سال_شکست a trend that the people of Iran. "in the future are more deserving have clear

Absolutely certainly NOT Trump's thumbs involved in this.

Given the propensity of reasonable grammar, good spelling, multi-syllable words, and now viable Arabic inclusions, it is now perfectly clear somebody else is running his tweet feed. Someone with actual writing skills and a working brain. Not necessarily a nice person, but certainly not MAGA Dump.

Can I suggest we need a new game here: Did Trump Write That? The aim of the game is to analyse the writing and content of each Trump tweet and then offer a possible author's name. We then keep a tally of tweet counts by name, and see where this leads us. Note, this is not an attempt to analyse what the content means or react to it. It's an exercise in information analysis. Any up for this?

Minoosh 11th February 2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12596903)
His El Paso speech is going to one huge pander to his White Nationalist base.

Well it's not an obvious place to have it. El Paso voters aren't big Trump fans.

BadBoy 11th February 2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12597046)
The other thing that's amazing... even if the Rasmussen poll were accurate, you're still talking about only a 52% approval rating. Yeah, that's a majority, but its a verrrry small majority. Even Obama managed to get approval ratings in the 60s on Rasmussen. Yet Trump is stuck way down in the low 50s.

Actually I find it really disappointing, that it is that high.
There has never been a president quite as bad as Trump - he is (hopefully) a one off.
So I think there is something really very badly wrong with the state of the union IMO.

Trebuchet 11th February 2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minoosh (Post 12597315)
Well it's not an obvious place to have it. El Paso voters aren't big Trump fans.

I expect some of the white Anglo ones are. The rest are all illegals anyhow.

dmaker 11th February 2019 08:07 PM

I was watching the rally on CNN just now, but had to turn it off when he accused Democrats of wanting to execute new born beautiful babies.

The lies are non stop.

Minoosh 11th February 2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaker (Post 12597455)
I was watching the rally on CNN just now, but had to turn it off when he accused Democrats of wanting to execute new born beautiful babies.

Well maybe a lot of people get off on him making **** up but I seriously don't think most Americans want to force women to give birth to babies who have no brains.

I mean, I would prefer it not to happen in, say, the ninth month. It is awful to think about. For some women birthing the baby and honoring its short life works to help them cope. But if other women can't bear the thought of bringing such a child into the world I can't say I blame them either.

Minoosh 11th February 2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12597445)
I expect some of the white Anglo ones are. The rest are all illegals anyhow.

I'd be surprised, actually. People who live in border areas are not always big on walls, especially when they are encased in concertina wire from the ground up.

ETA: Although if he drew a crowd, he drew a crowd. Not something I want to listen to.