International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   FBI reveals massive college admissions fraud. (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335228)

Bob001 12th March 2019 08:35 AM

FBI reveals massive college admissions fraud.

Rich parents buy their kids places in elite schools:
Quote:

The Justice Department on Tuesday charged more than 30 people — including two television stars — with being part of a long-running scheme to bribe and cheat to get their kids into big-name colleges and universities.

The alleged crimes, according to officials, involved cheating on entrance exams, as well as bribing college officials to say certain students were coming to compete on athletic teams when those students were not in fact athletes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on

JoeMorgue 12th March 2019 08:36 AM

Listen Yale could use an international airport.

Belz... 12th March 2019 08:47 AM

Is 30 people massive?

autumn1971 12th March 2019 08:47 AM

I knew two people in my high-school who got into Harvard. Both were middling-high students. One had an Aunt on the admission board, one was from a very wealthy family.

At least one person I knew did not get into Harvard and she was better qualified at every level; her grades, extra-curricula, her outright intelligence and her communication skills were miles ahead.

Her family was middle class.

That has always been how the “prestigious” schools work: they need one to be good enough to not fail, but rich enough to be milked.

ponderingturtle 12th March 2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn1971 (Post 12629792)
I knew two people in my high-school who got into Harvard. Both were middling-high students. One had an Aunt on the admission board, one was from a very wealthy family.

At least one person I knew did not get into Harvard and she was better qualified at every level; her grades, extra-curricula, her outright intelligence and her communication skills were miles ahead.

Her family was middle class.

That has always been how the “prestigious” schools work: they need one to be good enough to not fail, but rich enough to be milked.

It is like Kavanaugh who got in as a legacy.

Bob001 12th March 2019 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12629791)
Is 30 people massive?

Latest count is 50 arrests. $25 million paid to a fake charity. One ringleader pleads to racketeering. Sounds pretty big to me.

Actual complaint here:
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel...ull.pdf#page=1

lobosrul5 12th March 2019 09:21 AM

Couple of pretty big names arrested, Lori Loughlin and Felicty Huffman. Anyone who watches US TV should recognize them. I wonder if any students will have their degrees vacated over this?

Giordano 12th March 2019 09:24 AM

Private Ivy-League colleges have always had affirmative action programs: for the wealthy and influential.

Bob001 12th March 2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giordano (Post 12629855)
Private Ivy-League colleges have always had affirmative action programs: for the wealthy and influential.

This is about actual bribes to officials, faking exam results, etc., not just legacy preference.

applecorped 12th March 2019 09:32 AM

Shameless

lobosrul5 12th March 2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12629859)
This is about actual bribes to officials, faking exam results, etc., not just legacy preference.

Which also needs to be done away with, with immediate effect for publicly funded schools. Admissions should be about getting in the best and brightest not because you come for a wealthy family. Its far more likely for wealthy kids to have a parent or grandparent who went to a good school. Why should my tax dollars help fund the education of someone due to legacy status?! Private schools, sure you do whatever you want.

applecorped 12th March 2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 (Post 12629870)
Which also needs to be done away with, with immediate effect for publicly funded schools. Admissions should be about getting in the best and brightest not because you come for a wealthy family. Its far more likely for wealthy kids to have a parent or grandparent who went to a good school. Why should my tax dollars help fund the education of someone due to legacy status?! Private schools, sure you do whatever you want.

This Thread is not about Legacy status though

Cain 12th March 2019 09:41 AM

Upon hearing the news, Jared Kushner reportedly tutted his tongue. Amateurs.

carlitos 12th March 2019 09:43 AM

Great tweet response about how random this seems:

Quote:

I wake up and....

*throws dart at board*

Aunt Becky from Full House is...

*spins wheel*

Involved in a college sports scandal!??

BobTheCoward 12th March 2019 10:05 AM

I want a Felicity Huffman perp walk so bad

bytewizard 12th March 2019 11:10 AM

I read the indictment. It is sickening. The accused, if found guilty, have no shame and deserve lengthy prison terms. No "celebrities" are in the indictment linked. I assume more are to follow.

Whip 12th March 2019 11:12 AM

not sure how this is surprising. happens all the time by way of 'donations'

theprestige 12th March 2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip (Post 12629994)

The surprising thing is it happens all the time by way of straight up bribes to officials and falsification of records.

Faydra 12th March 2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecorped (Post 12629867)
Shameless

once removed joke - I like it!

SuburbanTurkey 12th March 2019 12:18 PM

I can only take so much schadenfreude before I burst. Good on the FBI for nailing these high class perps.

Edit: These rich families should have just done the legal thing and donated a building to get their idiot children admitted.

Distracted1 12th March 2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12629766)
Rich parents buy their kids places in elite schools:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on

And on a related note, this:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ter%20is%20wet

Mycroft 12th March 2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn1971 (Post 12629792)

Harvard favors diversity in it's admissions policies, including having a quota of under-performing students which are necessary for the rest of the students to feel superior to.

ahhell 12th March 2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applecorped (Post 12629867)
Shameless

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faydra (Post 12629997)

Didn't get it at first, well played mr applecorped, well played.

Meh, sure, get punished for bribery and cheating aside from that, I'm not sure I care.

If they didn't get aid or scholarships and payed full freight, then at least they were subsidizing others.

Donal 12th March 2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip (Post 12629994)

Yes, but this blatantly puts on display how charitable foundations and such are just scams for rich people to get out of paying their taxes.

Rich people with money can get away with anything, except messing with the money of richer white people.

lobosrul5 12th March 2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 12629881)
Upon hearing the news, Jared Kushner reportedly tutted his tongue. Amateurs.

Yeah, I guess Lori Loughlin's Full House money was good enough for 500k to cheat on admissions but she couldn't afford to donate a mult-million dollar building. That's all fair and above board you see.

Whip 12th March 2019 03:43 PM

this could open quite a can of worms with the SAT cheating. some athletes could be exposed.

dudalb 12th March 2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12629859)

no secret that the Ivy League schools have always had a ALumni "Old Boys Network" for getting their children into the Ivy League Schools. But bribery, faking exams results, etc is going well beyond that.

dudalb 12th March 2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donal (Post 12630199)
Yes, but this blatantly puts on display how charitable foundations and such are just scams for rich people to get out of paying their taxes.

Rich people with money can get away with anything, except messing with the money of richer white people.

SInce when have the rich and/or powerful not been able to get away with stuff most people could not?
Even in the Soviet Union, people high up in The Party could get away with murder,get their kids into the cushy jobs etc. Seems to be part of the human condition.

BStrong 12th March 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faydra (Post 12629997)

Seconded.

My source on all things right-wing nuttery has reported that both Limbuagh and Savage have opined that this scandal is the result of the poor little rich kids not being able to attend the top universities of their choice because...wait for it...quotas reserving admittance to unqualified minorities.

No ****.

BobTheCoward 12th March 2019 06:43 PM

There are no victims here. Anyone who lost a spot to these people are better off not attending such a crooked institution.

Brainster 12th March 2019 07:18 PM

I did love the detail about how two of the girls qualified for the Crew team by posing on home-gym rowing machines.

BobTheCoward 12th March 2019 07:24 PM

Spent some time on the kid's social media. She clearly doesn't want to be there. It sucks when you pay for college and your kid doesn't try. I can't imagine if you secretly paid 500k on top of that.

Bob001 12th March 2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 12630418)
There are no victims here. Anyone who lost a spot to these people are better off not attending such a crooked institution.

You don't understand. It's not the institutions that were crooked, at least in this case; it's the people the parents hired to cheat on exams and falsify records to make the students look better to the colleges.

Puppycow 12th March 2019 10:06 PM

The Most Bizarre Details From the College Cheating Scandal

So it wasn't just cheating on the SAT or ACT tests, it went beyond that. In some cases they went for athletic scholarships, for non-athletes (curious). This involved either photoshop or in one case at least setting up a fake water polo scene.

https://twitter.com/mollyhc/status/1105485163922948097

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/stat...90833057304576

Then there's this:
Quote:

After all that, Loughlin’s daughter apparently doesn’t even care about school in the first place.

Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, allegedly “agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team,” though neither of their two daughters participated in crew. It seems to have been sort of a waste of money, though, since one daughter, Olivia Gianulli, a beauty vlogger who goes by Olivia Jade, was criticized this summer for saying in a video that she doesn’t know “how much of school I’m gonna attend,” as Yahoo! reports.

She explained in a video that the first week of school she would be in Fiji for a shoot, and doing all this traveling for work, “but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of like game days, partying. I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
So after $500,000 in bribes (and now federal charges in the bargain), the ungrateful little wretch is like, "I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know" but she does want "the experience of like game days, partying". You know, the fun parts of college, just not the studying and stuff.

timhau 12th March 2019 10:40 PM

Is she living up to the stereotype of a spoiled rich brat, or just a true woman of the people because knowing stuff is elitist and sooo overrated anyways? It's hard to tell the difference these days.

Puppycow 12th March 2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timhau (Post 12630532)
Is she living up to the stereotype of a spoiled rich brat, or just a true woman of the people because knowing stuff is elitist and sooo overrated anyways? It's hard to tell the difference these days.

Pick your narrative but "beauty vlogger" sounds like one of those "millenial social media influencer" things, like the ones in the Fyre documentary used to market the festival.

Cain 12th March 2019 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppycow (Post 12630512)
So after $500,000 in bribes (and now federal charges in the bargain), the ungrateful little wretch is like, "I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know" but she does want "the experience of like game days, partying". You know, the fun parts of college, just not the studying and stuff.

She's pretty and popular, so who cares? At the end of the day, knowing how to paint your face is far more important than knowing about the theories of Max Weber.

Puppycow 13th March 2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 12630549)
She's pretty and popular, so who cares? At the end of the day, knowing how to paint your face is far more important than knowing about the theories of Max Weber.

That's probably true. It's less about her choices, given her natural strengths and weaknesses and more about what a shame it is that her parents took the trouble when they could have just let nature take its course and she would have found what works for her anyway.

Checkmite 13th March 2019 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppycow (Post 12630512)
So it wasn't just cheating on the SAT or ACT tests, it went beyond that. In some cases they went for athletic scholarships, for non-athletes (curious). This involved either photoshop or in one case at least setting up a fake water polo scene.

https://twitter.com/mollyhc/status/1105485163922948097

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/stat...90833057304576

Man, this was inspired.

TragicMonkey 13th March 2019 03:59 AM

Unearned wealth creates garbage people.