International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Man shot, killed by off-duty Dallas police officer who walked into wrong apartment (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331795)

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 05:48 AM

Man shot, killed by off-duty Dallas police officer who walked into wrong apartment

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/ma.../287-591760228

Quote:

Dallas police say one of their officers was going home after her shift when she walked into the wrong apartment and shot and killed the man inside.
We are supposed to believe that this cop thought a man broke into her apartment, and also completely redecorated it?

Jungle Jim 7th September 2018 06:00 AM

Unless she moved in three days ago, how does one walk into the wrong apartment?

Delphic Oracle 7th September 2018 06:04 AM

I'm guessing she'll insist the victim became hostile and thus take the "feared for my life" defense. As is usually the case, the only potential witness to that claim is the one who got killed.

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle (Post 12419861)
I'm guessing she'll insist the victim became hostile and thus take the "feared for my life" defense. As is usually the case, the only potential witness to that claim is the one who got killed.

What would your reaction be if you are sitting in your living room and a cop just casually walks in the front door?

William Parcher 7th September 2018 06:18 AM

Maybe he mistakenly thought she was his girlfriend and tried to "make love".

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12419877)
Maybe he mistakenly thought she was his girlfriend and tried to "make love".

She was in full uniform...

TragicMonkey 7th September 2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12419878)

Probably not what happened in this particular case, but there have been instances of police being mistaken for costumed strippers.

William Parcher 7th September 2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12419878)

And his apartment was in full "not my apartment".

Delphic Oracle 7th September 2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12419875)
What would your reaction be if you are sitting in your living room and a cop just casually walks in the front door?

Probably a massive wave of anxiety. My point is it doesn't matter what I did or didn't do if I'm not alive to tell the grand jury my side of it.

JoeMorgue 7th September 2018 06:28 AM

I'm very, very skeptical that this is anything resembling the full story.

Ron Swanson 7th September 2018 06:30 AM

One time I was dressed in full "combats" military gear for halloween, and walked right into a house at the wrong address for a party I was going to.

In my defence the girls texted me the wrong addy (right street but reversed the address house number) ... there were two startled people staring at me ... I quickly realized my error, and excused myself and walked to the correct address.

To my knowledge none of us was carrying a firearm :)

William Parcher 7th September 2018 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12419891)
I'm very, very skeptical that this is anything resembling the full story.

I can't form an opinion or position until I read the Daily Mail. :D

JoeMorgue 7th September 2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12419894)
I can't form an opinion or position until I read the Daily Mail. :D

I don't know the race, political leanings, or gender/sex spectrum of either person involved, so I'm currently in a state of Schrodinger's Outrage.

William Parcher 7th September 2018 06:34 AM

Her first thought before seeing that it's not her apartment (if that even happened) would have been, "Why the hell is my door unlocked?".

William Parcher 7th September 2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12419896)
I don't know the race

Quote:

Originally Posted by WFAA
26-year-old Botham Shem Jean

I'm making a bet that he is not a honky.

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 07:09 AM

I guess if you have the wrong apartment and somehow don't realize it, and the door is unlocked when you left it locked, you are suspicious.

But, the moment you open the door you've got to know it's not your home.

Did she call in a burglary when she found "her door" unlocked?

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 07:12 AM

I think if she thought the place had been burgled, she'd have called it in.

So I don't think she believed the unlocked door indicated a burglary.

Drewbot 7th September 2018 07:15 AM

Something else happened.

Unless she was intoxicated.

3point14 7th September 2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbot (Post 12419944)
Unless she was intoxicated.

I'll have 50p on the bet.

Either that or he played really loud music late at night...

Bob001 7th September 2018 07:24 AM

More here:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...e-headquarters

I would imagine that the scenario was something like, "Black guy in my apartment. I fear for my life. Must shoot now!"

shemp 7th September 2018 07:33 AM

Not sure how it is possible to be this stupid and still manage to function normally up until last night.

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12419958)
More here:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...e-headquarters

I would imagine that the scenario was something like, "Black guy in my apartment. I fear for my life. Must shoot now!"

"Open up! Open Up!"

I can't see why either the female cop in question, or the cops who arrived later, would be yelling that?

Did the female cop possibly try a key that didn't work and then start trying to get in?

Belz... 7th September 2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12419846)
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/ma.../287-591760228

We are supposed to believe that this cop thought a man broke into her apartment, and also completely redecorated it?

Maybe they all look the same.................

William Parcher 7th September 2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12419982)
Did the female cop possibly try a key that didn't work and then start trying to get in?

This is unconfirmed, but that may have happened here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by St. Lucia Times
According to the relative, the police officer’s key was found in the lock of the door of the apartment belonging to the deceased, after she tried unsuccessfully to open it.

The family member expressed the view that the officer involved in the shooting, who lived in an apartment on another floor of the complex, had to have been ‘drunk.’...

https://stluciatimes.com/2018/09/07/...rong-apartment

JoeMorgue 7th September 2018 07:41 AM

Any scenario, even if I factor in "absolute blackout drunk" (which would be weird since the article states she was just coming off a full shift) still can't get beyond that "Forget which apartment is mine" problem and even if I could hit the "I believe" button on that... no scenario still makes sense in my head.

LTC8K6 7th September 2018 07:49 AM

So the door is locked, this idiot is trying to use the wrong key, and the guy inside probably yells something at whoever is trying to get in.

Officer Idiot then starts yelling for him to "open up".

Dave Rogers 7th September 2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12419994)
Any scenario, even if I factor in "absolute blackout drunk" (which would be weird since the article states she was just coming off a full shift) still can't get beyond that "Forget which apartment is mine" problem and even if I could hit the "I believe" button on that... no scenario still makes sense in my head.

Multiple identical floors, press the wrong button in the lift while drunk (having necked a few on the way home), get off at the wrong floor but go to the "right" apartment? If, for example, she lives in 806 and the shooting happened in 506, that might make some kind of sense.

Dave

William Parcher 7th September 2018 08:07 AM

We don't know if there is an elevator or just stairs. An exact address has been given and maybe somebody can check on the number of floors. I think that an apartment building with more than 3 floors must have an elevator but I'm not certain of that code.

JoeMorgue 7th September 2018 08:09 AM

There's still a pretty big air gap from "I mis-identified my apartment" to "Therefore I shot the person in it."

Horatius 7th September 2018 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers (Post 12420024)
Multiple identical floors, press the wrong button in the lift while drunk (having necked a few on the way home), get off at the wrong floor but go to the "right" apartment? If, for example, she lives in 806 and the shooting happened in 506, that might make some kind of sense.

Dave

That happened to me once, when I lived in my old apartment. It helped that mine was the apartment right next to the elevator in a relatively small building (only 4 units per floor), so I had little opportunity to notice any slight differences in the hallway.

Of course, I realized my mistake when the door didn't open, I didn't shoot anyone.

William Parcher 7th September 2018 08:16 AM

She was drunk? Maybe but...

Is there any kind of police policy that forbids off-duty drinking while wearing your full officer uniform? I don't know the answer at all.

lobosrul5 7th September 2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12420057)
She was drunk? Maybe but...

Is there any kind of police policy that forbids off-duty drinking while wearing your full officer uniform? I don't know the answer at all.

Its generally illegal for civilians to be drunk and in possession of a firearm. Whether that applies to police or not, I have no idea.

Dave Rogers 7th September 2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horatius (Post 12420053)
That happened to me once, when I lived in my old apartment.

Just out of interest, were you drunk at the time?

Dave

Horatius 7th September 2018 08:19 AM

"after she tried unsuccessfully to open it."

That's the really worrying bit here. You could maybe see her being startled if she'd just walked in on the guy, but if the door wasn't opening, how the hell did she even get into a position to be able to shoot him? She must have been making active attempts to force the door, or demand he open it, and in that whole time, still never figured out she was in the wrong place.

Horatius 7th September 2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers (Post 12420062)
Just out of interest, were you drunk at the time?

Dave

Probably. I was in my 20s, after all. :D

William Parcher 7th September 2018 08:21 AM

Reports say she lives a quarter mile from the police station, FWIW.

The incident occurred just after 10pm and maybe her shift ended at 10pm, but we don't know. FWIW.

William Parcher 7th September 2018 08:25 AM

Some articles say just after 10pm and some say just before.

pgwenthold 7th September 2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horatius (Post 12420064)
"after she tried unsuccessfully to open it."

That's the really worrying bit here. You could maybe see her being startled if she'd just walked in on the guy, but if the door wasn't opening, how the hell did she even get into a position to be able to shoot him? She must have been making active attempts to force the door, or demand he open it, and in that whole time, still never figured out she was in the wrong place.

Yeah. I've been trying to think of an instance of "tried the door on the wrong floor of an apartment building" that I've been in. I don't know if I have, but I'm thinking my response is, put the key in, it doesn't turn, I try to figure out why, I look at the apartment # and slap myself in the head and quietly move on, hoping that I didn't disturb anyone and that no one sees me.

Break the door down and shoot the person inside is not where I'm going.

William Parcher 7th September 2018 08:33 AM

Address is 1210 S. Lamar Street, Dallas, TX. The building seems to be 4 floors but I have some doubts about it having an elevator. You can look on street view Google Maps.

Dr. Keith 7th September 2018 08:35 AM

What do you do if you are sitting on your couch and someone starts banging on your door? You go look through the peephole and see who it is as you start to dial 911. Then you see that the person banging on the door is a cop so you open the door to see what the problem is.

****, that is a ****** up way to die in this already ****** up world.