International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Sammy14 4th March 2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8080836)
Welcome Sammy We offer a fresh glass of Goats milk to all new members ,But in your case I will give you a Gallon for a bottle of Islay single Malt :D

Thank you kindly for the welcome. Keep the gallon, the Islay is on me:)

COLONEL 4th March 2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammy14 (Post 8080964)
Thank you kindly for the welcome. Keep the gallon, the Islay is on me:)

And thank you kind sir :D:D:D

Hogdady 5th March 2012 02:19 PM

new guy

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.....

Roadtoad 5th March 2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogdady (Post 8084213)
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.....

It'll be better once you have some goat's milk, and tell the Colonel how you want your meat.

oysteingrondahl 5th March 2012 03:10 PM

Hi, everybody!
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Dr_Nick.png
(Turns out I can't post links to external sites within my first 15 posts, so I'll let you guess what this picture is. Or you could just paste it in the address bar.)

My name is Řystein, I'm an engineer and a teacher, studying to become a space physicist (gotta love the norwegian communist ways of free education). I have been reading the interwebs and watching the youtubes for quite a while, seeing lots of interesting people like Randi, Penn & Teller and so on. After listening to Randi speak in Norway a year ago, I decided to go to TAM 9. I took quite a lot of pictures, and I would like to share some of them here with you all. I would appreciate some help in finding a suitable place to make a thread to share them, and hopefully some comments after I upload them. I have been thinking about posting them for half a year now, but anything that's easy to do tomorrow is easy to postpone today, right?

COLONEL 5th March 2012 06:01 PM

Welcome Řystein & Hodady A nice fresh glass of Goats milk awaits each of you and we have a nce BBQ every weekend and the menu is posted on Fridays. enjoy your stay and if you should see the Goat or Shemp pat them on the head they like that. :)

Roadtoad 5th March 2012 06:03 PM

Patting Shemp on the head? Bad idea. Unless you don't mind losing fingers.

COLONEL 5th March 2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtoad (Post 8084805)

Shhhhhhhhhh. We have to let Shemp have some fun once in a while. ;)

amb 5th March 2012 11:32 PM

Shemp and fun do not compute. :)

Ketyk 5th March 2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtoad (Post 8084805)

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8084811)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8085306)
Shemp and fun do not compute. :)

I'm sorry, but having done some research, I find no evidence for these claims.

amb 5th March 2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8085309)
I'm sorry, but having done some research, I find no evidence for these claims.

Have you found Jesus your lord and saviour yet? :)

Ketyk 5th March 2012 11:58 PM

Thanks. What I love about the JREF and skepticism in general is freedom of thought, and humor is a great outlet for that.

Was there a Jesus that we know from the bible? Are there non-Earth born creatures?

I'm happier reading about what happens at the event horizon of a black hole and about the social structure of a Chinese government that seems to promote media attention to capital punishment.

Can I have a Smithwicks?

COLONEL 6th March 2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8085329)
Can I have a Smithwicks?

Yes you can have one of my smithwicks, Do you want it left in the bottle ,in a glass or in a glass from the tap?

Hogdady 6th March 2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtoad (Post 8084340)
It'll be better once you have some goat's milk, and tell the Colonel how you want your meat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8084799)
Welcome Řystein & Hodady A nice fresh glass of Goats milk awaits each of you and we have a nce BBQ every weekend and the menu is posted on Fridays. enjoy your stay and if you should see the Goat or Shemp pat them on the head they like that. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8084811)

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8085912)
Yes you can have one of my smithwicks, Do you want it left in the bottle ,in a glass or in a glass from the tap?

Ok, I know this is probably just what you want to hear, but wtf is shemp? Why the banter over goat's milk? Wtf is a smithwicks?

COLONEL 6th March 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogdady (Post 8086811)
Ok, I know this is probably just what you want to hear, but wtf is shemp? Why the banter over goat's milk? Wtf is a smithwicks?

You must live a very sheltered life, SmithWicks pronounced Smitics is an Irish Ale that has been around since 1710 made by Guiness, our Mascot is a Goat hence the Goats milk And Shemp is one of the tree stooges and also one of our members that has to be expirenced . All iAll it is our fun way of welcoming NewB's like yourself. I hope this helps ,if not Some one else I'm sure will come along and explain it better. We all lokk out for one another here. Now about that goats milk do you want a glaas or not ? :D

Hogdady 6th March 2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8086868)
You must live a very sheltered life

You mean like under a rock?

Quote:

SmithWicks pronounced Smitics is an Irish Ale that has been around since 1710 made by Guiness
Silver Bullet for me, please.

Quote:

our Mascot is a Goat hence the Goats milk
Quote:

Now about that goats milk do you want a glaas or not
Maybe to go with my oysters....

Quote:

And Shemp is one of the tree stooges and also one of our members that has to be expirenced
I will look forward(?) to meeting him(?)

Thanx for the clarification Colonel!

CelticRose 6th March 2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogdady (Post 8086983)
I will look forward(?) to meeting him(?)

Look well forward. It's best to be forwarned of Shemp's approach.

And whatever you do, don't turn your back on him. :eye-poppi

COLONEL 6th March 2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticRose (Post 8087871)
Look well forward. It's best to be forwarned of Shemp's approach.

And whatever you do, don't turn your back on him. :eye-poppi

Hey those charges were never proven ! ;)

Roadtoad 6th March 2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8087932)
Hey those charges were never proven ! ;)

And they never found the bodies, either.

amb 7th March 2012 03:16 AM

Nor the weapon ! Hogdady, if that ale they're offering you is not to your taste, we also serve ice cold Millers Draft, and have added another beer to the munu. Sol Mexican beer.

UnrepentantSinner 7th March 2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oysteingrondahl (Post 8084405)

No Simpson's reference should go unappreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oysteingrondahl (Post 8084405)
I decided to go to TAM 9. I took quite a lot of pictures, and I would like to share some of them here with you all. I would appreciate some help in finding a suitable place to make a thread to share them, and hopefully some comments after I upload them. I have been thinking about posting them for half a year now, but anything that's easy to do tomorrow is easy to postpone today, right?

Your best bet is a hosting account like Flickr, upload them there and then post a link - especially if you have a bunch of them.

Here's a thread to post the link (or if you don't have enough posts, post it using the [noparse] tags and a more senior member will fix it for you.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=214480

ALIENS 7th March 2012 08:40 AM

hi everybody.my name is karl. i come from germany and iam 21 years old. i work als construktor!
i believe in ghosts and ufos.
my hobbys are music and books.
and i love my girlfriend valeria.

COLONEL 7th March 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIENS (Post 8088928)
hi everybody.my name is karl. i come from germany and iam 21 years old. i work als construktor!
i believe in ghosts and ufos.
my hobbys are music and books.
and i love my girlfriend valeria.

Welcome Karl. Have a glass of goats milk and and tell us how many UFO's and Ghost have you seen.

ALIENS 7th March 2012 05:13 PM

3 ghosts and 1 ufo.

COLONEL 7th March 2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIENS (Post 8090392)
3 ghosts and 1 ufo.

Well you would like living in my old farm house the previous owners swear it is haunted. Years ago the man that owned it was so old he went down into the cellar to stoke the fire in the funace and they found him dead weeks later and once in a while we swear we see shadows out of the corner of our eyes and we hear some one walking upstairs when no one is up there. But until the day come that some one proves there are ghost, We will just live with what ever it is. :D

amb 8th March 2012 01:29 AM

I'm willing to put up my house, and all my worldly possessions as collateral and will pay up to anyone who has undisputed proof of any supernatural event!

COLONEL 8th March 2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8091209)
I'm willing to put up my house, and all my worldly possessions as collateral and will pay up to anyone who has undisputed proof of any supernatural event!

I'll take that one, look at me and you will no that I am a supernatural person and my biirthday is a big event So next year bring the deed to your home and a recipt for the rest of your stuff to my party :D:D:D

amb 9th March 2012 12:13 AM

Goats are no longer worshipped as gods Colonel.

COLONEL 9th March 2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8094144)
Goats are no longer worshipped as gods Colonel.

SAYS WHO ? :mad:

COLONEL 9th March 2012 10:02 AM

WELCOME NEW B'S

For the weekend BBQ we will be having
DRINKS: Miller draft, SmithWicks,some nice Belgian beer and of course Fresh Goats milk.
MEAT : Oven roasted Goat, Roo,Cats,Lobster,steamed clams and Hamsters.
VEGTABLES: garden salad, corn on the cob,geen beans, baked beans,baked ,mashed and boiled potatoes.
DESSERT: Cherry pie,Apple crisp, assorted flavors of IceCream,Cake,Grayman oatmeal cookies and MINTIES
Enjoy the Weekend

Bell 9th March 2012 01:33 PM

Wot? No snacks?

COLONEL 9th March 2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8095965)
Wot? No snacks?

OK because you asked, But just this once, my budget is limited I will add Popcorn,potato chips,corn chips , peanuts,dips pretzels and a raw veggie platter.

Verity Auger 11th March 2012 01:28 AM

Hi, I'm new here. Hey - can I smell BBQ?

amb 11th March 2012 01:50 AM

Welcome Verity. Yes you are correct. It's a goat we are BBQ ing. Should be ready in a jiffy.

JihadJane 11th March 2012 06:17 AM

What's the vegan option?

COLONEL 11th March 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JihadJane (Post 8100090)
What's the vegan option?

All the fresh grass you can eat, it's a good way to keep our lawns trimmed down

Michael555 11th March 2012 04:59 PM

Hello! Some of my interests include A Course In Miracles, faster-than-light technology, cold fusion, radical life extension research, human cryopreservation, aquaponics, and Tai Chi.

COLONEL 11th March 2012 05:07 PM

Welcome Micheal have a glass of goats milk.

Ketyk 11th March 2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael555 (Post 8101503)
Hello! Some of my interests include A Course In Miracles, faster-than-light technology, cold fusion, radical life extension research, human cryopreservation, aquaponics, and Tai Chi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8101525)
Welcome Micheal have a glass of goats milk.

I found the above two posts just so funny taken together. I had the visual of an excited Micheal running into the room with all these profound ideas, and Colonel patting him on the head saying "Settle down, son, have some goats milk."

I'm still laughing!

ronin688 11th March 2012 10:25 PM

Greetings all!

I was peripherally aware of James Randi and the JREF from various media reports over the years, but never thought to check out the website.

I was reading 'The Blind Watchmaker' this week and came across a reference to Randi in regards to debunking astrology. The next day I check Wired and saw the op-ed piece that Mr. Randi wrote. I took these amazing events occuring together to be a sign from the heavens that I should come check out the website (not really).

The forums here are great, and have already sucked me in to hours of thread-lurking. I'm glad to be a member and hope I can contribute, or at least lurk creepily in the corner being entertained by some of these great threads.

Some thread reading here also connected me with the bad astronomy forums which I hadn't been aware of. What are you people trying to do, kill me? I mean seriously I only have so many hours in the day.

:) Thanks for having me!

Bell 11th March 2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin688 (Post 8102145)
I mean seriously I only have so many hours in the day.

Learn how to bend time.

amb 12th March 2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8102029)
I found the above two posts just so funny taken together. I had the visual of an excited Micheal running into the room with all these profound ideas, and Colonel patting him on the head saying "Settle down, son, have some goats milk."

I'm still laughing!

Yes I agree, very funny, but at least he should have offered a leg of fried rabbit to go with the goats milk, :p

amb 12th March 2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Greetings all!

I was peripherally aware of James Randi and the JREF from various media reports over the years, but never thought to check out the website.

I was reading 'The Blind Watchmaker' this week and came across a reference to Randi in regards to debunking astrology. The next day I check Wired and saw the op-ed piece that Mr. Randi wrote. I took these amazing events occuring together to be a sign from the heavens that I should come check out the website (not really).

The forums here are great, and have already sucked me in to hours of thread-lurking. I'm glad to be a member and hope I can contribute, or at least lurk creepily in the corner being entertained by some of these great threads.

Some thread reading here also connected me with the bad astronomy forums which I hadn't been aware of. What are you people trying to do, kill me? I mean seriously I only have so many hours in the day.

:) Thanks for having me!

Welcome. If you happen to see a goat wondering about, please give it a pat. It is the forum mascot. :)

joseph8th 12th March 2012 04:28 AM

I like it. I like it a lot.

Is this some sort of haven for nerds? An online "Dinner for Schmucks"?

There are some smart smart people in the forums. And some really... interesting... theories being debunked or debugged. I look forward to reading more.

I'm a math guy (pure) with my minor in CS, and a strong interest in physics. I'm also strongly interested in climate change, as both a research area and a political football. The climate thread seems like a great place to learn the latest in whacko denialism, and the correct scientific responses to denialist propaganda.

So... I'll see ya around, all.

joseph8th 12th March 2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

The forums here are great, and have already sucked me in to hours of thread-lurking. ... I mean seriously I only have so many hours in the day.

Exactly! James Randi, you scalawag, what have you done!? I've been looking for this site since the invention of the Interwebs. :)

ronin688 12th March 2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8102186)
Learn how to bend time.

Pfft, I could bend time if I wanted, but all you skeptical types watching me makes me hyper-dimensional-time-bending shy.

ronin688 12th March 2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joseph8th (Post 8102610)
Exactly! James Randi, you scalawag, what have you done!? I've been looking for this site since the invention of the Interwebs. :)

Yeah I sort of felt that way when I saw I could talk about atheism, astronomy, politics, magic and about 10 other topics I enjoy all in one place.

Not sure how an unhealthy internet addiction failed to lead me here earlier.

ronin688 12th March 2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8102397)
Welcome. If you happen to see a goat wondering about, please give it a pat. It is the forum mascot. :)

I'll certainly keep an eye peeled! :eye-poppi

arthwollipot 12th March 2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joseph8th (Post 8102603)
Is this some sort of haven for nerds?

That's exactly right.

quadraginta 12th March 2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JihadJane (Post 8100090)
What's the vegan option?

There haven't been any good vegans around to barbecue lately. All the ones we have left are tough and stringy.