International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

IronPup 1st April 2012 07:09 AM

Thank you amb & colonel - I will take that beer :D

I can supply a few camel steaks if people would be interested.

COLONEL 1st April 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronPup (Post 8163056)
Thank you amb & colonel - I will take that beer :D

I can supply a few camel steaks if people would be interested.

Hey we will try anything once ! I'll tell you what ,I will add Camel Steaks to next weeks menu.

Bell 1st April 2012 07:47 AM

Welcome IronPup. What do you use against oxidation?

IronPup 1st April 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8163137)
Welcome IronPup. What do you use against oxidation?

Why thank you!

I use a light coating of WD-40 applied daily :D Smells scrumptious and drives the fellas wild!

Bell 1st April 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronPup (Post 8163527)
Why thank you!

I use a light coating of WD-40 applied daily :D Smells scrumptious and drives the fellas wild!

Oh well, as long as they don't text at the same time :)

thedopefishlives 4th April 2012 05:26 AM

Morning everyone. I've been lurking around here for a few weeks and decided that it might be interesting to jump in and become part of the community. A little background - my formal training is in computer science; I'm a programmer by day. My main interest in these forums is in the conspiracy theories section; when I was in high school, before I knew better, I read one of Jim Marrs's books on the JFK assassination and wrote my senior research paper on the conspiracy. Not too long after, I realized what a drooling loon he is, and I've regretted writing that paper ever since. Nevertheless, the analysis and debate over even the most stupid minutiae fascinates and engages me. Since then, my main area of focus has been 9/11 Twoof, which I have studied fairly intensely, but since coming here, other conspiracy theories of a more technical nature have also caught my attention. It's been fun to learn so much about so many things in so short a time.

amb 4th April 2012 05:29 AM

Welcome whatsyourname. If you see the goat roaming about give it a pat. Easter week menu is fried crocodile meat, scrambled emu eggs, a glass of goats milk and sweets.

COLONEL 4th April 2012 08:30 AM

Welcome ---Dopefish----- (I shortend your name ) Never regret doing any thing unless your caught with your pants down in a herd of sheep. Ok that being said Welcome to the forum, every Friday I post a weekend menue for you NewB's , if you have been lurking like you say you have, then you know what I am talking about. Here have a fresh glass of Goats milk.

thedopefishlives 4th April 2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8171564)
Welcome ---Dopefish----- (I shortend your name ) Never regret doing any thing unless your caught with your pants down in a herd of sheep. Ok that being said Welcome to the forum, every Friday I post a weekend menue for you NewB's , if you have been lurking like you say you have, then you know what I am talking about. Here have a fresh glass of Goats milk.

The good news is, I got the top mark in the class for that paper, and the teacher told me it was one he kept going back to and re-reading because it was so excellently done. So at least my research skills were top-notch, even if my source analysis wasn't.

Bell 4th April 2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedopefishlives (Post 8172489)
The good news is, I got the top mark in the class for that paper, and the teacher told me it was one he kept going back to and re-reading because it was so excellently done. So at least my research skills were top-notch, even if my source analysis wasn't.

Or maybe you teacher knew something...

COLONEL 6th April 2012 08:22 AM

Welcome NEWB'S here is the weekend Menue
Goats milk,millers ,andd belgian beer'
grilled Camel & Roo steaks cooked to order. mashed potatos peas,beats and carrots.oatmealcookies and MINTIES.
Enjoy the weekend

Bell 6th April 2012 08:56 AM

You forgot about the eggs! What's Easter without the eggs?

Roadtoad 6th April 2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8177094)

Sunday.

COLONEL 6th April 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadtoad (Post 8177154)
Sunday.

Thank you R.T. Sunday Mornig we will have an egg hunt. If the Easter bunny shows up on time,He is still pretty mad at me, a few years ago I was out Rabbit hunting. And well I thought that some how this rabbit raided my hen house, he had a basket full of eggs and I shot it. So if you see the easter rabbit that hops with a limp you know why.

Spui 7th April 2012 09:25 AM

Hello everybody,
I've been referred to the JREF forum quite a number of times over the past few years (especially while debating the history of Christianity and of religion in general)and I finally decided to participate. I have a degree in Ancient History from Leiden University in the Netherlands and I am currently studying to become a History teacher.

Bell 7th April 2012 11:48 AM

Welcome Spui!

History? That's quite the coincidence, I just found some very old eggs that we hid last year for Easter. Care for one?

quadraginta 7th April 2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8177169)
Thank you R.T. Sunday Mornig we will have an egg hunt. If the Easter bunny shows up on time,He is still pretty mad at me, a few years ago I was out Rabbit hunting. And well I thought that some how this rabbit raided my hen house, he had a basket full of eggs and I shot it. So if you see the easter rabbit that hops with a limp you know why.

Why would you want to shoot a basket full of eggs?

COLONEL 7th April 2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 8179918)
Why would you want to shoot a basket full of eggs?

When I said I shot it ,I meant the Rabbit :rolleyes:

xterra 7th April 2012 06:36 PM

Finally registered

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8180237)
When I said I shot it ,I meant the Rabbit

Colonel, I assumed you were confused about which came first, the rabbit or the egg.

In either case, I'm glad I registered. I've been reading the forum for a very long time (maybe 8 years) and have finally decided to participate.

My contribution to the next dinner will be Belhaven ale.

I know about the goat, and about Shemp, so no need to point them out.

COLONEL 7th April 2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xterra (Post 8180543)
Colonel, I assumed you were confused about which came first, the rabbit or the egg.

In either case, I'm glad I registered. I've been reading the forum for a very long time (maybe 8 years) and have finally decided to participate.

Welcome Xterra I look forward to the Belhaven I have not had any of that in several years. I used to get it at a little Pub called the man of Kent in Hoosickfalls NewYork.and as our custom goes here is a glass of Goats milk and an Oatmeal cookie. :D

amb 8th April 2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xterra (Post 8180543)

Ah yes, but do you know about the kangaroo steaks? :)

COLONEL 8th April 2012 05:55 AM

Good morning and HAPPY EASTER and Welcome to all you NEWB's

I have been told there will be an Easter egg hunt at Shemps today. it starts at noon and will go all day and into the night .

Spui 8th April 2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8179642)
Welcome Spui!

History? That's quite the coincidence, I just found some very old eggs that we hid last year for Easter. Care for one?

Thank you, Bell! Why yes, I'll have one of those. I'm tired of archaeologists claiming to be the only ones to live life on the edge.

RigidSoft 8th April 2012 01:30 PM

Hello, I finally joined up. I was at QED Con last month in Manchester England, and chatted in the dead dog party with DJ. Remembered to join after I refound his card.

I attend lots of Skeptics stuff in the UK and am looking to spread it with panels at conventions.

I also attend woo in the pub talks and am subverting some of the more lucid attendees away from the crazy and also get the latest buzz on woo initiatives. I also get to upset some of the speakers with pointed questions, especially the nasty ones.

I have a software/science and gambling history and so I have both the science and trickster elements to my background. In a similarish way to how magicians are tricksters and valuable in our outreach.

fuelair 8th April 2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

And the Bacon. Never forget the Bacon!!

amb 9th April 2012 02:36 AM

Or the Millers Draft!!

COLONEL 9th April 2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuelair (Post 8182657)
And the Bacon. Never forget the Bacon!!

might as well add Ham & Sausage too.

Baldric 11th April 2012 01:12 PM

Interested in the truth, as opposed to The Truth.

Believing in the truth appears to require less meds than The Truth.

xtifr 11th April 2012 01:21 PM

Howdy all!

I'm a second generation computer programmer and third-generation science fiction fan, and I've been a fan of JR for over a quarter of a century. I've been browsing the forums here for a while, but never really felt the need to post--I signed up mostly to be able to follow an interesting link into a member's-only forum.

As far as religion goes, I'm somewhere between the Discordians and the Pastafarians, but as a Californian, I feel it my duty to invent religions rather than join them. So far, I've invented three, one of which (involving the worship of coffee) had as many as three members at its peak. (I'm really surprised that one didn't do better--a nice cuppa joe at dawn can be a truly religious experience!)

In general, I describe myself as a polytheistic agnostic, but I'm serious about the agnostic part. There is absolutely no evidence that would convince me of the existence of gods, simply because of Clarke's Third Law: "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." On the other hand, I do believe in coffee!

As for other forms of woo, I tend to be skeptical in inverse proportion to how far up the Mohs Scale of Science Fiction Hardness they are. But I still wanna see some hard evidence before I buy any of it.

cheers

p.s. I'm not a fan of goats milk, but if you have any coffee... :)

Bell 11th April 2012 02:45 PM

Welcome newbs! The weekend is still a few days away so for now we only have freshly grilled roadkill and old motor oil that *looks* like coffee.

COLONEL 11th April 2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8190189)
Welcome newbs! The weekend is still a few days away so for now we only have freshly grilled roadkill and old motor oil that *looks* like coffee.

You forgot the Goats milk, we always have that.

xtifr 11th April 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8190189)
old motor oil that *looks* like coffee.

Um, thank you kindly, but according to these ancient documents I have just hurriedly scribbled down, it would be blasphemous for me to accept your offer. For it is written in the Book of the Divine Bean, chapter 12, verse 5: "No Javacrucian shall knowingly partake of a beverage which pretends to be coffee but is not--unless he or she really wants to." And, somehow, I find myself unable to really want old motor oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8190505)
You forgot the Goats milk, we always have that.

I already pre-emptively declined any offer of goat's milk and asked for coffee instead. As it is, I guess I'll just have to be content with the roadkill. Well-done for me, please.

amb 12th April 2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtifr (Post 8190784)
Um, thank you kindly, but according to these ancient documents I have just hurriedly scribbled down, it would be blasphemous for me to accept your offer. For it is written in the Book of the Divine Bean, chapter 12, verse 5: "No Javacrucian shall knowingly partake of a beverage which pretends to be coffee but is not--unless he or she really wants to." And, somehow, I find myself unable to really want old motor oil.

I already pre-emptively declined any offer of goat's milk and asked for coffee instead. As it is, I guess I'll just have to be content with the roadkill. Well-done for me, please.

You wish it to be cremated? :p

xtifr 12th April 2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8191296)
You wish it to be cremated? :p

I was thinking more along the lines of: "nuke it from orbit--it's the only way to be sure." But I suppose I'll take what I can get. ;)

amb 12th April 2012 02:13 AM

You can choose from our extensive menu you know. Besides roadkill, we have rabbit, kangaroo, crocodile, snakes, [taste like chicken], goanas, and wild camel. Don't forget to pat the goat should you run into it.

OneTime 13th April 2012 01:03 AM

Hi

I don't know how i've stumbled across this site but i'm here now and looking forward to engaging in debate and hopefully make some friends.

amb 13th April 2012 01:08 AM

Welcome to the loony bin OneTime. Joking mate. This is the best stumble you've ever done.

AdolescentLogophile 13th April 2012 06:08 AM

Hello, fellow newbs. I heard about this forum from my uncle and I'm very eager to get started. The topics and discussions look great. :D

COLONEL 13th April 2012 08:07 AM

Welcome to all you NewB's. I hope no one is superstitious ,because today is Friday the 13th. :jaw-dropp
Every Friday I post the weekend menu for all you NewB's to get together and meet everyone.

This Weekends fare starts off with Goats milk followed by Belgin, Miller,Smithwicks, beer on tap.
Roast leg of Lamb, Roo steaks, and roadkill stew
Fresh baked breads and rolls, pasta, Shepardspie,Chile,Mac&cheese,potatos, Fiddleheads, corn on the cob and a nice tossed green salad
Ice cream ,assorted pies and cakes Oatmeal cookies and MINTIES.

Again welcome and enjoy the weekend.

AdolescentLogophile 13th April 2012 08:25 AM

I'll have to take you up on several of those items. (Nom.)

IronPup 13th April 2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8191431)
You can choose from our extensive menu you know. Besides roadkill, we have rabbit, kangaroo, crocodile, snakes, [taste like chicken], goanas, and wild camel. Don't forget to pat the goat should you run into it.

Wild camel? No, it was tame - until I shot it, then it was absolutely livid! Ber-boom -tish, I'm here all week, try the fish :D

Hello fellow newbies!

xterra 14th April 2012 04:25 PM

Correction and clarification

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8195777)
This Weekends fare starts off with Goats milk followed by Belgin, Miller,Smithwicks, beer on tap.
Roast leg of Lamb, Roo steaks, and roadkill stew
Fresh baked breads and rolls, pasta, Shepardspie,Chile,Mac&cheese,potatos, Fiddleheads, corn on the cob and a nice tossed green salad
Ice cream ,assorted pies and cakes Oatmeal cookies and MINTIES.

Again welcome and enjoy the weekend.

Colonel,

First, you forgot to mention the beer I am providing. Or did you intend to write "Belhaven" instead of "Belgin"?

Second, since apple pie contains apples, peach pie contains peach, etc, does shepherds pie contain shepherds?

(Incidentally, rhubarb pie contains an inedible substance.)

COLONEL 15th April 2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xterra (Post 8199739)
Colonel,

First, you forgot to mention the beer I am providing. Or did you intend to write "Belhaven" instead of "Belgin"?

Second, since apple pie contains apples, peach pie contains peach, etc, does shepherds pie contain shepherds?

(Incidentally, rhubarb pie contains an inedible substance.)

1 The Belhaven has not arrived yet ,2 No shepards in shepards pie ,3 I love Rhubarb pie, alot of people spoil it by adding strawberries to it.

Okie skeptic 17th April 2012 05:45 PM

Hello everyone. I live in Oklahoma and have been a skeptic most of my life. Basically, nothing about religion has made much sense to me. I also grew up in a culture that was thick with faith healers, clairvoyants, ghosts, cryptoids, and dowsers and a general disdain for education. (I was basically disowned when I went to college) I have an annoying habit (at least to people in the community) of questioning "supernatural" events. My wife, who is much like me, just not as vocal, mentioned the JREF as a good resource, especially as I am hoping to begin teaching biology soon. I am not normally this dry in my conversations, but as it's the first one, I figured a simple introduction is the best. (Remember, in Oklahoma, this is a simple intro, I didn't go back 5 generations and mention the barn that burnt down and isn't there anymore, wait that's all of our driving instructions) This promises to be fun, and I am really greatful for an organization like this that I can actually meet like-minded people and not have to keep looking around to see if anyone is listening.

COLONEL 17th April 2012 06:47 PM

Welcome Okie Have a glass of Goats milk and relax while you look around ,And if you see our resident goat just pat it on the head .

amb 17th April 2012 09:56 PM

Welcome Old skeptic. You have made the right choice. Now, just relax, have a peek around and we are sure there is something here for you. Meanwhile have a El Loco Mexican beer and the Colonel's goat milk.

COLONEL 18th April 2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb (Post 8209215)
Welcome Old skeptic. You have made the right choice. Now, just relax, have a peek around and we are sure there is something here for you. Meanwhile have a El Loco Mexican beer and the Colonel's goat milk.

AMB Stay out of the BOOZE and put yor glasses back on ,his name is Okie Skeptic not Old Skeptic :D

Magic 9-Ball 18th April 2012 11:52 AM

HI, all. Been away for a LONG while, just wanted to get my feet wet, again. It took me 4 years to figure out my password again! ;)

Looking forward to getting back in the swing of things again. Here's to skeptical discussion!

johnnewb 18th April 2012 04:08 PM

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah (USA). I don't claim to be a perfect skeptic, but I am doing my best.
I guess, I see this forum as credits towards my Skepticism Degree, though. ;)

I am not sure what else to say except...

Hello!

Okie skeptic 18th April 2012 06:42 PM

Thanks COLONEL, and I'll watch for the goat. and I thought old skeptic was kinda good. It's better than other things I've been called. And for future reference AMB, you can't beat an Irish stout.

And thank you for the warm welcomes.