International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

COLONEL 18th April 2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball (Post 8211114)
HI, all. Been away for a LONG while, just wanted to get my feet wet, again. It took me 4 years to figure out my password again! ;)

Looking forward to getting back in the swing of things again. Here's to skeptical discussion!

Welcome back ,You can tell us the truth thou, They gave you early parole right :D Oh well have a glass of fresh Goats milk

amb 19th April 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic 9-Ball (Post 8211114)
HI, all. Been away for a LONG while, just wanted to get my feet wet, again. It took me 4 years to figure out my password again! ;)

Looking forward to getting back in the swing of things again. Here's to skeptical discussion!

I take it they couldn't find the body? :D

COLONEL 20th April 2012 06:20 AM

Good Morning it is a cool 55* but will hit the 70's later today.Today is Friday and that means time for the weekend BBQ menue to welcome all our NEWB friends.:D

We will start like always with Goats milk, Belhaven provided by xterra Miller, and Belgin beer, Roast leg of lamb, Roo steaks,Emu meat,and the ever popular Hamster,Assorted cold salads,and a hot German potato salad,
corn fresh on the cob,carrots, beets,assorted cakes and pies, cookies and MINTIES.

Enjoy the weekend and again WELCOME NEWB'S

skepticalnotcynical 21st April 2012 02:13 AM

Finally managed to be a part of JREF forum!! SO HAPPY!!!

Bell 21st April 2012 11:45 AM

Welcome aboard! All your need to know is we have Belgian beer.

COLONEL 21st April 2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skepticalnotcynical (Post 8219135)
Finally managed to be a part of JREF forum!! SO HAPPY!!!

Welcome have a glass of goats milk . and tell us how happy you are again after you are put in a room with Shemp for an hour . :D Be sure to pat the goat on the head if you meet up with it

dutchroll 22nd April 2012 06:38 PM

Hi guys (and girls). Been a very long time lurker around here and other similar forums, and I've followed a lot of Randi's stuff for many years. Finally got off my a*s and joined.

A good sceptic is not someone who just doesn't believe anything. A good sceptic is someone who sensibly weighs the evidence from people who are actually qualified to talk about it (eg - too much alcohol is bad for me. I wish I could be sceptical of this, but unfortunately it appears to be correct on the available medical evidence! :) ).

My current beef: American Airlines is actually seriously going to screen an interview from July through August on all their domestic and international flights with antivaxer and serial liar, our very own Meryl Dorey of the "Australian Vaccination Network". :mad: Google it. It will make you vomit.

amb 22nd April 2012 11:41 PM

Welcome dutchroll. Vaccinations hey. There is so much B/S around that it does scare people senseless, enough to stop their children from being protected against the nasties. Anyway, have a Millers Draft, and again, welcome.

Bell 23rd April 2012 09:04 AM

Millers Draft? My guess is Dutchroll would like Belgian beer better :)

COLONEL 23rd April 2012 11:47 AM

Welcome Dutchroll, First have a glass of Goats milk and then have one of AMB'S beers and then drink onee of Bells.:D

COLONEL 27th April 2012 06:23 AM

Its Friday and the weekend BBQ Menu is
Goats milk, Assorted beers, Kool ade.
ROAD KILL, yup thats it just Raod Kill Some one did not pay for the last shipment of food so I had to go out and pick up road kill. Most of the road kill was provide by Road Toad and his K-Wopper so it has been well tenderized :)
Oat meal cookies and MINTIES

swright777 27th April 2012 07:19 AM

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for several months. I can't remember if I was reading about 9/11 or Holocaust deniers when I found this place. I've been reading a lot about both since I got here. It's hard to believe that people can think that way. I guess it takes all kinds.

COLONEL 27th April 2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swright777 (Post 8235975)
Hello everyone. I've been lurking for several months. I can't remember if I was reading about 9/11 or Holocaust deniers when I found this place. I've been reading a lot about both since I got here. It's hard to believe that people can think that way. I guess it takes all kinds.

Welcome SWRIGHT ! Yup it takes all kinds and that's what you will find here too!
We have all kinds of people, we are like NewYork City one big melting pot. As a lurker you must know about the customary glass of Goats milk offered to the NEWB's and that being Friday, the weekend Menu is posted Enjoy your time and the people here.

Bell 27th April 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swright777 (Post 8235975)

Common theme: blame the Jooz!

Anywoo... welcome aboard. Normally I would offer you some Belgian beer, but since out national holiday Queen's Day is coming up, I'd like to offer you some Dutch beer (not Heineken) :)

Bingowings 27th April 2012 03:56 PM

Hello everyone. I joined years ago but posted for the first time today. It wasn't the reasoned, dignified post I wanted to make, but what can you do?

I blame all Jewish people for everything, even the Hindu baby-goo I make into Maztos and all conspiracies (is this right?) including the moon-shape hoax, the Bilderbirther/Shabba Ranks tintack hoax of 1978 and the Clarkes radioactive shoe machine vaccine scam.

Akhenaten 27th April 2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingowings (Post 8237759)
Hello everyone. I joined years ago but posted for the first time today. It wasn't the reasoned, dignified post I wanted to make, but what can you do?

I know the feeling. I've had nearly 19,000 attempts and I still haveen't managed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingowings (Post 8237759)
I blame all Jewish people for everything, even the Hindu baby-goo I make into Maztos and all conspiracies (is this right?) including the moon-shape hoax, the Bilderbirther/Shabba Ranks tintack hoax of 1978 and the Clarkes radioactive shoe machine vaccine scam.

And bigfoot!

:)

Welcome aboard.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...6e8b167056.gif

SkeptimusPrime 28th April 2012 02:58 AM

Hi, I'm planing on coming to TAM this year so I thought I'd join over here in the forums.

I'm a huge nerd if the user name didn't give it away, and I run a blog by the same name.

Akhenaten 28th April 2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeptimusPrime (Post 8238845)
Hi, I'm planing on coming to TAM this year so I thought I'd join over here in the forums.

I'm a huge nerd if the user name didn't give it away, and I run a blog by the same name.

You're just in time. This place is totally crawling with Decepticons.

:gear_grin:

Welcome!

COLONEL 28th April 2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeptimusPrime (Post 8238845)

Welcome and have a Glass of Goats milk ,and tell us a little more about your self other then you are a Nerd.

Ketyk 29th April 2012 03:13 PM

Wow! Look at Colonel barking out orders like back in the day! ;)

These are newbs, not recruits. :p

COLONEL 29th April 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 8242681)
Wow! Look at Colonel barking out orders like back in the day! ;)

These are newbs, not recruits. :p

What can I say old habits die hard.

NEWB'S / Recruits They're all about the same, in a way :D

TheProfessor 29th April 2012 05:35 PM

The Professor has arrived

I'm TheProfessor. TheProfessor says hello!

Roadtoad 29th April 2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 8242958)

Oh, please. Say it ain't so....

COLONEL 29th April 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfessor (Post 8242958)

The Colonel says welcome and have a glass of Goats milk.Then when you're finished, Road Toad will give you a ride in his K-Wopper

sbeeman 29th April 2012 10:34 PM

Hello. I've greatly enjoyed lurking this forum for some time now, and I thought it might be fun to finally sign up.

My name is Stefan. I'm a young man with a background in ecology, scientific computing, and web technology. I enjoy long moonlit debates about semantics, games of rock-paper-scissors to allocate burden of proof, and spotting logical fallacies with my fiancee.

I promise not to post passive-aggressive suggestions that empiricism is flawed because it rejects my irrational belief system, nor to defend that irrational belief system with fallacious arguments and then ignore or dismiss all rebuttals of those arguments.

Akhenaten 29th April 2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbeeman (Post 8243400)
Hello. I've greatly enjoyed lurking this forum for some time now, and I thought it might be fun to finally sign up.

Actually it's the posting that's the most fun of all, but I suspect you knew that.

Quote:

My name is Stefan. I'm a young man with a background in ecology, scientific computing, and web technology. I enjoy long moonlit debates about semantics, games of rock-paper-scissors to allocate burden of proof, and spotting logical fallacies with my fiancee.

Gosh! Sounds like there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Quote:

I promise not to post passive-aggressive suggestions that empiricism is flawed because it rejects my irrational belief system, nor to defend that irrational belief system with fallacious arguments and then ignore or dismiss all rebuttals of those arguments.

Bummer. Nobody here ever seems to do those things anymore.

As if.

Welcome to the funny farm, Stefan.

COLONEL 30th April 2012 05:33 AM

Welcome Stefan Along with you Glass of Goats milk how would you like your Roo steaks ? The MINTIE bowl is on your left help your self.

swright777 30th April 2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell (Post 8237499)
Common theme: blame the Jooz!

Anywoo... welcome aboard. Normally I would offer you some Belgian beer, but since out national holiday Queen's Day is coming up, I'd like to offer you some Dutch beer (not Heineken) :)

I've noticed that the 'Blame the Joooos' theme is common in almost every conspiracy. I wonder if these people have ever even met a Jewish person.

I spent two weeks in Haifa when I was in the navy (US) back in '89. All of the people that I met were friendly. A Jewish family invited several of us into their home for dinner having just met us. We were headed back to the ship and a taxi full of locals stopped to give us a ride. We told the driver that we were broke (as usual), and he still gave us a ride.

Anyway, thanks for the beer. :)

swright777 30th April 2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 8236307)
Welcome SWRIGHT ! Yup it takes all kinds and that's what you will find here too!
We have all kinds of people, we are like NewYork City one big melting pot. As a lurker you must know about the customary glass of Goats milk offered to the NEWB's and that being Friday, the weekend Menu is posted Enjoy your time and the people here.

I guess it would be boring if everyone used logic and common sense to explain or defend their views.

And thanks for the milk. I think I was too late to order from the menu.

derchin 30th April 2012 06:44 AM

Hey everybody. Name is Derchin if you haven't caught that by now. I've been lingering around this site and reading some of the threads for some time now. Aside from some previous hurdles concerning registration, I'm finally a member.

Cool.

Akhenaten 30th April 2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derchin (Post 8243977)
Hey everybody. Name is Derchin if you haven't caught that by now. I've been lingering around this site and reading some of the threads for some time now. Aside from some previous hurdles concerning registration, I'm finally a member.

Cool.

I keep telling them to get rid of the 'steeplechase' option on the registration page and go back to the more familiar 'jumping through hoops' process but will they listen?

Harumph, I say.

Anyway, that's all behiind you now and it's sane pailing from here on.

Or something.

:w2:

Welcome aboard.

derchin 30th April 2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 8244032)
I keep telling them to get rid of the 'steeplechase' option on the registration page and go back to the more familiar 'jumping through hoops' process but will they listen?

Harumph, I say.

Anyway, that's all behiind you now and it's all sane pailing from here on.

Or something.

Welcome aboard.

Hello there. I hope I haven't done anything wrong.

Akhenaten 30th April 2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derchin (Post 8244046)

I assume not, mate, since you're here.

To tell the truth, the only thing I remember about the registration process is that it wouldn't accept that I was 3,500 years old.

Stupid machine.

derchin 30th April 2012 07:42 AM

Oh, I see.

COLONEL 30th April 2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derchin (Post 8244046)

Welcome have a glass of Goats milk and the only thing I can think of is if you have not returned all your library books yet, the Library Lady will be after you . Although she might be on vacation as she has not been around for a while, so you have a chance to get them returned.

Lenoxus 30th April 2012 12:58 PM

Hello all! I'm a near-lifelong skeptic and atheist (in fact, I would call myself a gnu atheist… not sure to what extent that may be controversial in these circles).

My first intro to this stuff was Joe Nickell's book The Magic Detectives. Other than that, nearly all of the books I have read about the paranormal were more on the credulous side, but I could usually figure out what was really going on, and recent Internet reading has helped sharpen my BS-detection skills.

I work for the after-school program of a middle school, where some of the kids are into the paranormal, especially cryptozoology. I don't like getting into arguments with them since I don't want to harm our relationship (or likelier, get into even more frustrating arguments with their parents). Fortunately, the kids themselves are quite good at arguing against the woo anyway; in fact, most of the "cryptozoology club" meetings seem to consist of the kids watching YouTube videos and pointing out how things were faked or played up.

Like all upstanding folk, I believe in "open-mindedness", but I believe much much much more strongly in the faultiness of human minds and our tendency to project all sorts of inner silliness onto the universe, as if reality were supposed to obey the intuitions of a few billion primates. It would take a very, very, very large amount of evidence to convince me that "the supernatural" exists, because of the long history of fakery-and-mistakery, plus my feeling that the supernatural doesn't really refer to anything that logically could exist so much as a kind of set of quasi-dualistic attitudes.

Maybe we've been visited by aliens… but they couldn't possibly be humanoid any more than they would speak Pig Latin. Maybe someone has experienced actual prophecy… but not Nostradamus or any other claimant.* Those are really tiny maybes. Tinier still are the maybes for homeopathy and astrology. Finding out that either one is "real" would be equivalent to finding out the Earth is "really" flat; it's not even imaginable.

I get really frustrated by the self-contradiction whereby woos insist their stuff in in some way untestable. You can't discover anything to be true in the first place if it's untestable! Even the supposed counterexamples they like to trot out, like love, are entirely testable. There are empirical differences between a situation where two people love one another and a situation where they don't. If someone told me that they knew as a matter of faith that Ellen Degeneres loved me, and I said "That's absurd. She can't possibly know I exist, and she's in a committed relationship, and I'm a man and she's a lesbian", would that person be entitled to reply "But love isn't a matter of evidence!"?

Anyway, rant over. Whew. Nice to be here…

*(The eeriest instance I can think of is the incident of that novel "Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan", seemingly predicting the Titanic sinking — but that's probably a Law of Large Numbers thing coupled with a few interdependent facts, eg, if a ship is going to be way short on lifeboats, it will probably be a very large cruise ship, with a "big" sort of name — look at the Titanic's sister ships! — whose makers are a tad hubristic, going too fast, etc.).

serpentine 30th April 2012 11:43 PM

Hmmmm...Don't know what the 'Goat's milk' thing is, but I've had plenty of it, since I grew up on it....Yummy!...
And yes, I know the 'paranormal' exists, since I've experienced it myself.
It's kind of like a 'sense' that many people just don't experience...And since there is a lot of corruption regarding 'psychics' and such, it's easy to doubt it all...Which is very understandable, and healthy.

Akhenaten 1st May 2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenoxus (Post 8244984)
Hello all! I'm a near-lifelong skeptic and atheist (in fact, I would call myself a gnu atheist… not sure to what extent that may be controversial in these circles).

<polite snip>

I can think of no better response to this than to nominate it for a language award.

I hope your stay here is as rewarding for yourself as it promises to be for us.

:th:

Sideroxylon 1st May 2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 8246431)
I can think of no better response to this than to nominate it for a language award.

I hope your stay here is as rewarding for yourself as it promises to be for us.

:th:

I just read it in the nominations thread. What an auspicious entry.

Akhenaten 1st May 2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpentine (Post 8246323)
Hmmmm...Don't know what the 'Goat's milk' thing is, but I've had plenty of it, since I grew up on it....Yummy!...

I have to say, I've been here for five years myself and I don't have any idea what's going on with that either. This seems to be the only thread in the forum where it's ever mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by serpentine (Post 8246323)
And yes, I know the 'paranormal' exists, since I've experienced it myself.
It's kind of like a 'sense' that many people just don't experience...And since there is a lot of corruption regarding 'psychics' and such, it's easy to doubt it all...Which is very understandable, and healthy.

Interesting times ahead, I'll warrant, when you start meeting up with the folks here who know the paranormal doesn't exist.

Vive la difference and welcome aboard!

:grouphug6

ratcat 3rd May 2012 01:47 PM

Jeff

The Name is Jeff. Found my way here via the Skeptoid podcast. I have nothing clever to say at this time.

LibraryLady 3rd May 2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratcat (Post 8254671)
The Name is Jeff. Found my way here via the Skeptoid podcast. I have nothing clever to say at this time.

I'm very grateful for that.

Have you returned your library books?

marsattacksgirl 3rd May 2012 05:55 PM

Jason Robards was my deliverer

I am quite ashamed to admit that I've spent most of my life as a devoted religious nut.

At one point, I even entertained new age fantasies and went to a psychic.

I had an epiphany watching Jason Robards perform in a production of The Iceman Cometh. His pipe dream monologue was personally illuminating. I've been discarding fantasies since then.

I feel humble and tardy among you.

Regards!

SkeptimusPrime 3rd May 2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsattacksgirl (Post 8255296)
I am quite ashamed to admit that I've spent most of my life as a devoted religious nut.

Don't feel bad, I spent most of my college years as a fundamentalist Christian, I even went on a mission trip to India when I was about 22.

FluffyPersian 3rd May 2012 07:15 PM

The Persian kitten pats your foot with her paw to welcome you. You can pet her, but watch out for the tiara.

Akhenaten 3rd May 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

The Name is Jeff. Found my way here via the Skeptoid podcast.

Hi Jeff!
Quote:

I have nothing clever to say at this time.

Cool. You've brought me a new sig.

Akhenaten 3rd May 2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't sweat it. I've spent all of my life as a devoted nut without even the excuse of religion.

Quote:

At one point, I even entertained new age fantasies and went to a psychic.

The fact that you've tried these things and not gone over to teh Dark Side™ speaks well of you. Nothing to be ashamed of there.

Quote:

I had an epiphany watching Jason Robards perform in a production of The Iceman Cometh. His pipe dream monologue was personally illuminating. I've been discarding fantasies since then.

I feel humble and tardy among you.

Regards!

No need for that. Feel welcome instead!

:grouphug4

WarrenGaebel 4th May 2012 08:17 AM

Reverse Chronological Sorting

Hi, all. Yes, I'm a newbie, so I have questions. Is this the right thread to ask newbie-type questions? If not, what thread should I use. If this is the right thread, here's my first newbie question:
The list of posts within a thread is sorted chronologically. How can I change that to a reverse chronological sort?

Akhenaten 4th May 2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenGaebel (Post 8256825)
Hi, all. Yes, I'm a newbie, so I have questions. Is this the right thread to ask newbie-type questions? If not, what thread should I use. If this is the right thread, here's my first newbie question:
The list of posts within a thread is sorted chronologically. How can I change that to a reverse chronological sort?

Hi Warren. Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid the answer is that posts always apppear in the order that they were made. Now it's my turn for a question.

Why on Earth would you want to read a thread backwards? Surely it wouldn't make sense to have the answers coming before the questions, so to speak.

Although I have to admit that it wouldn't make a lot of difference in some threads.

WarrenGaebel 4th May 2012 08:36 AM

Reading Backwards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akhenaten (Post 8256844)
Why on Earth would you want to read a thread backwards? Surely it wouldn't make sense to have the answers coming before the questions, so to speak.

Laziness. I don't want to have to click on the little right-pointing arrow to go to the last page.

I'm quite adept at reading posts backward. I've been doing it so long that it seems natural to me. By the time I get to the original message, I'm already aware of what people have said about it. [Some people would say that I've let my mind be infected by other people's thoughts prior to listening to the original thought, but I'm aware of that possibility and I compensate for it.]

P.S. - I can read upside-down too. Mirror reading isn't so easy, but I'm working on it.