International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

fuelair 2nd May 2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackenberg (Post 11259620)
Hi there,

I'm a card-carrying skeptic and a born and raised atheist.

I've recently been getting seriously into the social history of skeptical thought and activism, building on a longterm interest in the 19th and early 20th century spiritualism craze and the skeptical responses to that craze. "Science vs. the supernatural" is my bag, with sidelines in cryptozoology, ufology etc. as social constructs and modern mythologies.

I enjoy robust debate and long walks on the beach.

Looking forward to discussions here -

M

You should easily find such: Go to Forum Index (a small box on the right hand side near the top of any page click on that. Scroll down after you are taken to the Index a few lines worth and you will find that section: General skepticism. That will get you started!!! Good hunting!!:):):)

Or, just click here http://www.internationalskeptics.com...forumindex.php

Carnby 4th May 2016 10:58 AM

Hi all!
I'm Carnby from Tuscany, Italy. Actually I registered a lot of time ago, but I decided to introduce myself only today.
My interests are science, art, books, linguistics and debunking of purpoted supernatural facts.

The Man 4th May 2016 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carnby (Post 11263166)
Hi all!
I'm Carnby from Tuscany, Italy. Actually I registered a lot of time ago, but I decided to introduce myself only today.
My interests are science, art, books, linguistics and debunking of purpoted supernatural facts.

Welcome, Carnby . Linguistics, one of my favorite hobbies, though my first and only communicative language (English) still gives me trouble.

You know there's never a good philologist around when you need one.

Welcome, everyone.

fuelair 5th May 2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrani99 (Post 11254045)
Hi everyone, I'm from Australia and I am not a skeptic but I am interested in understanding skeptics and to learn more critical thinking.

Welcome in, lot's of your compatriots here toss another kangaroo steak on the Barbie!!!! Just a friendly, don't assume all our threads are skeptical or serious - but a lot are, so.....:):):):)

fuelair 5th May 2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marquis de Carabas (Post 11256371)
Whats an asshat gotta do to get into Forum Community?

Aren't we all each in our own way???!!!

Ketyk 23rd May 2016 12:36 AM

What? Ketyk walks in?

Well it took ten years to get here

You all look, splendid.

Thor 2 25th May 2016 01:30 AM

Sawasdee Crap

Hi folks,

I am an Australian national, born in Sweden, and now living in Thailand. The title means hello in Thai, (sawasdee means hello and "crap" is the male familiar - females finish a statement with "car" and I have heard ladyboys say "carp" :-) ), which I can tell you is a tricky language to learn.

I am a skeptic and have been an atheist since the tender age of 16 after reading Bertrand Russel's "Why I am not a Christian", and look forward to having some interesting interaction with others here.

lionking 25th May 2016 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor 2 (Post 11296165)
Hi folks,

I am an Australian national, born in Sweden, and now living in Thailand. The title means hello in Thai, (sawasdee means hello and "crap" is the male familiar - females finish a statement with "car" and I have heard ladyboys say "carp" :-) ), which I can tell you is a tricky language to learn.

I am a skeptic and have been an atheist since the tender age of 16 after reading Bertrand Russel's "Why I am not a Christian", and look forward to having some interesting interaction with others here.

Welcome Thor. Quite a few of us Aussies here.

Foolmewunz 26th May 2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor 2 (Post 11296165)
Hi folks,

Welcome aboard.

We have a few* Thai-based members, all farang. Where are you?

*I, of course, am the eminence grise of the small group. There's very little interest on the forums in our political** situation, so any discussion of same is best interjected into other threads. Oh, when the general sends the troops in to quash something and it makes the Telegraph and Washington Post, you may see a thread started. But as a whole, politics & current events threads center around North America and Europe (where most members are from, after all), with the Aussie Aussie Aussie crowd taking up third place. As an Aussie buddy of mine replied when someone asked him what they were doing with the Americans and Brits in Iraq, "Somebody's got to bring the eski."

**ETA: Mandatory disclaimer for Thailand internet snoops. Have I mentioned what a swell guy our king is. Really. A prince among men. And that wife? So wonderful. In fact all of them. The entirety of the royal family. Absolute saints.

Thor 2 29th May 2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 11300125)
Welcome aboard.

We have a few* Thai-based members, all farang. Where are you?

*I, of course, am the eminence grise of the small group. There's very little interest on the forums in our political** situation, so any discussion of same is best interjected into other threads. Oh, when the general sends the troops in to quash something and it makes the Telegraph and Washington Post, you may see a thread started. But as a whole, politics & current events threads center around North America and Europe (where most members are from, after all), with the Aussie Aussie Aussie crowd taking up third place. As an Aussie buddy of mine replied when someone asked him what they were doing with the Americans and Brits in Iraq, "Somebody's got to bring the eski."

**ETA: Mandatory disclaimer for Thailand internet snoops. Have I mentioned what a swell guy our king is. Really. A prince among men. And that wife? So wonderful. In fact all of them. The entirety of the royal family. Absolute saints.

Hi Foolmewunz and thanks for the welcome.

I live in North Eastern Thailand in a small village near Yasothon. I am the only farang in these parts and perhaps have a little celebrity status:).

Been here for 2 years now but lived in Chiang Rai for 4 years also.

Where do you live and what is your nationality?

Foolmewunz 30th May 2016 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor 2 (Post 11305016)
Hi Foolmewunz and thanks for the welcome.

I live in North Eastern Thailand in a small village near Yasothon. I am the only farang in these parts and perhaps have a little celebrity status:).

Been here for 2 years now but lived in Chiang Rai for 4 years also.

Where do you live and what is your nationality?

I'm down in Pattaya - you can add your location in your User CP. American ex-pat, via a decade in HK before I retired here. I'm unretiringhere, at any rate and heading back to the US soon. I can't raise a left-ish progressive free-thinking lower-middle-class kid in the oppressive environment TH is becoming.... not with a clear conscience, at least. My kid is normally my avatar; it's been temporarily removed in lieu of a not-terribly-serious political protest, but he'll be back. He's been virtually born and raised on these forums.

Jack Oliver Jervis 1st June 2016 12:59 AM

The Diamond Quarts

I'm the creator/founder of The Diamond Quarts, sick of corruption and violence. I'll fight to save humanity until my last breath.

Captain_Swoop 1st June 2016 02:05 AM

What's a Diamond Quart?

Kid Eager 1st June 2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 11308891)
What's a Diamond Quart?

A despotic private organisation intent on interfering in what you do, by military means if necessary.

As an aside, I didn't know you could buy diamonds by the quart.

Erroneous Toad 2nd June 2016 08:38 AM

Hello all. I can't believe I didn't join here years ago, but I'm not much of a forum guy. This place looks like such a wonderful bastion of free thought and discourse though, I'm excited to be here!

Ketyk 4th June 2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erroneous Toad (Post 11311530)
Hello all. I can't believe I didn't join here years ago, but I'm not much of a forum guy. This place looks like such a wonderful bastion of free thought and discourse though, I'm excited to be here!

It is that and more. Make friends, find what you are interested in, and have fun.

liumx2000 5th June 2016 06:15 AM

Halo dunia

I am living in Malaysia, a land with mysterious values. ;)

Hot and humid climate here make ones not too laborious...

Fidelio 6th June 2016 03:43 PM

Howdy, welcome.:)

Foolmewunz 6th June 2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liumx2000 (Post 11316272)

Welcome. We have a couple of western expats on the forums who lived in MY at various times. Where are you located?

Our second new Southeast Asian poster in the past month. WE'RE TAKING OVER, I TELL YA.

liumx2000 9th June 2016 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 11319130)
Welcome. We have a couple of western expats on the forums who lived in MY at various times. Where are you located?

Our second new Southeast Asian poster in the past month. WE'RE TAKING OVER, I TELL YA.

Outskirt of the muddy confluence, aka Kuala Lumpur.

quadraginta 9th June 2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 11319130)

Aren't you moving out?

Foolmewunz 10th June 2016 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 11324204)
Aren't you moving out?

Well, yeah... but I can give some moral support to the new guys. I've still got that Thai bloodline in my avatar; that'll never change.

Oh, and boycott Thailand, y'all. Just generally. Whole damned thing.

robertovila 21st June 2016 08:12 AM

Howdy folks!

Got some free time on my hands these days, so I figured it was time to stop lurking and start participating.

I'm into all things skeptical, and I've enjoyed the many classic beatdowns of the Woo-Peddlers that I've seen here over the years.

It's good to be here,

RVila

dasmiller 21st June 2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertovila (Post 11344415)
Howdy folks!

Got some free time on my hands these days, so I figured it was time to stop lurking and start participating.

I'm into all things skeptical, and I've enjoyed the many classic beatdowns of the Woo-Peddlers that I've seen here over the years.

It's good to be here,

RVila

Welcome!

ETA: Okay, maybe I really do need to work on making my posts more substantive.

UnrepentantSinner 23rd June 2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liumx2000 (Post 11316272)

Ah, just like Houston.

AnriSonohara 24th June 2016 12:35 PM

Greetings Earthlings, I come in peace......but it will probably end up in a lot of future disagreements :rolleyes:

a little about me, well I'm Atheist-American, 90% conservative, 10% liberal, and I joined to have my world views challenged, and gain some perspective and maybe give some from time to time. I figured the skeptics come with the facts and leave the feelings for fascist SJW's.

Anyways, please look after me! Let's have fun :D

COLONEL 24th June 2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnriSonohara (Post 11350358)
Greetings Earthlings, I come in peace,
a little about me, well I'm Atheist-American,

Now that is a new word, ( Atheist-American ) I never heard of anyone referring to them selves as that. Any how Welcome to the land of Skeptics!

AnriSonohara 24th June 2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 11350381)
Now that is a new word, ( Atheist-American ) I never heard of anyone referring to them selves as that. Any how Welcome to the land of Skeptics!

Thank you, I'm looking forward to learning some new things here :)

solfe 25th June 2016 05:58 AM

I've been a long time lurker here and what drives me to switch is the whole Brexit thing. I am reading up on it now. It's complicated and I doubt I will post anything meaning full, any time soon. Maybe I will visit other, lighter areas first.

Thanks for letting me come-a-board.

Ketyk 25th June 2016 07:41 AM

Lots of people go to the Humor page. Not many newcomers are funny, but it is worth a try. It keeps you involved. Then you can learn how to navigate these pages. Post quotes, refer to things in the media.

Ketyk 25th June 2016 07:43 AM

Even start a new thread about what is really important to you. I remember the first thread I started. over 10 years ago. I was so new.

Stick around, and people will recognize you. Or fall away like most new comers.

AnriSonohara 25th June 2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 11351754)
Lots of people go to the Humor page. Not many newcomers are funny, but it is worth a try. It keeps you involved. Then you can learn how to navigate these pages. Post quotes, refer to things in the media.

Thank you, I will check it out.

kali1137 13th July 2016 05:22 AM

Hi, newest member here. I lurked for a week after a google search led me to one of the threads here. After reading for a week I knew I had to join the conversation. Looks like a great place and lots of great thought and debate. Can't wait to jump in.

The Man 13th July 2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kali1137 (Post 11384218)
Hi, newest member here. I lurked for a week after a google search led me to one of the threads here. After reading for a week I knew I had to join the conversation. Looks like a great place and lots of great thought and debate. Can't wait to jump in.

Welcome kali1137 (I guess you were in the generation just before THX1138). If you don't mind me asking, what was the thread that enticed you here? We may need some more click bait.

As always the humor and community subsections are good ways to build post count so you can upload an avatar and post links.

Welcome everyone

kali1137 13th July 2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Man (Post 11385254)
Welcome kali1137 (I guess you were in the generation just before THX1138). If you don't mind me asking, what was the thread that enticed you here? We may need some more click bait.

The thread was about Dr. Phil and satanic panic. I believe I was searching for updates on Sylvia Browne's charlatan son and if he was still up to no good and also updates on Tania Head. I am not positive which one lead that to pop up in the search results but I was fascinated that "Satanic Panic" was still being peddled.

The Man 13th July 2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kali1137 (Post 11385306)
The thread was about Dr. Phil and satanic panic. I believe I was searching for updates on Sylvia Browne's charlatan son and if he was still up to no good and also updates on Tania Head. I am not positive which one lead that to pop up in the search results but I was fascinated that "Satanic Panic" was still being peddled.

Ah the satanic panic, seen the tread but haven't read it or participated. Yeah I'd though that died out some time ago as well before seeing that thread.

SashatheMagnificent 6th August 2016 06:55 PM

Hallo!
I am in the Far East of Russia and I would like to write in this internet forum.
I know Mr. Randi for a long time

Regards

HghrSymmetry 6th August 2016 11:10 PM

Welcome SM.

We look forward to your posts.

Thor 2 7th August 2016 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SashatheMagnificent (Post 11427733)
Hallo!
I am in the Far East of Russia and I would like to write in this internet forum.
I know Mr. Randi for a long time

Regards

Welcome Sasha.:) Don't think we have to many Ruskies here. How far East are you? Not too much out way East by my map.

COLONEL 8th August 2016 03:11 AM

Welcome Sasha

kali1137 8th August 2016 06:54 AM

Welcome to the forum Sasha. I am fairly new here myself.

Swordfishtrombone 8th August 2016 03:45 PM

Wellcome all newbies! :)

Just for your info, if anyone's interested, head over to the "Forum Community" section and take part in our Forumvision (modeled after Eurovision). No, you don't need to sing yourself, just find youtube clips of music you like, inflict it on us other players, listen to what others inflict on you, and rate.

We're currently recruiting for the next round of the game, and fresh blood would be wellcome!

A direct link to the thread is here: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=310141

JohnPaolucci 9th August 2016 11:50 AM

Hi, just joined up.

A little about myselfÖ
I had gone through rigorous teachings (about life, the universe and everything) starting in the 70ís. At some point it became clear to me that in this universe, anything could happen for any reason at all. All that I learned may not deserve an unquestioned stance. Not that I was that much of a skeptic, I just decided that if I canít know something for sure, Iíd wait.
So I went back to the one thing I knew, and that no one needed to tell me: everything had one thing in common - that everything was ONE thing - one final common denominator that was as simple as no-thing. From there I started to re-assemble what I knew, with the rule that it had to be linked to and confirmed by that ONE thing I knew. I just kept at it with a lot of waiting. At a certain point I confirmed that I could get help from friends in higher realms who agreed to my rule. Things flowed better then and led to writing my realizations down and illustrating them (since Iím a formally trained artist).
So Iíll probably drop into posts and reply with help from the info Iíve been able to confirm. Iíll do it in an understanding and gentlemanly way.
So if youíd like to see some of my stuff (all free - I donít sell anything) you can go to YouTube and enter a search: Advanced Portrait Painting Through Universal Line.
Most of you have no interest in painting, but the definite context keeps oneís feet on solid ground while dealing with abstract concepts.
See ya.

marplots 9th August 2016 10:02 PM

After you get a few posts you can put images up. These are always welcomed.

The Man 10th August 2016 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnPaolucci (Post 11431582)
A little about myselfÖ
I had gone through rigorous teachings (about life, the universe and everything) starting in the 70ís. At some point it became clear to me that in this universe, anything could happen for any reason at all. All that I learned may not deserve an unquestioned stance. Not that I was that much of a skeptic, I just decided that if I canít know something for sure, Iíd wait.
So I went back to the one thing I knew, and that no one needed to tell me: everything had one thing in common - that everything was ONE thing - one final common denominator that was as simple as no-thing. From there I started to re-assemble what I knew, with the rule that it had to be linked to and confirmed by that ONE thing I knew. I just kept at it with a lot of waiting. At a certain point I confirmed that I could get help from friends in higher realms who agreed to my rule. Things flowed better then and led to writing my realizations down and illustrating them (since Iím a formally trained artist).
So Iíll probably drop into posts and reply with help from the info Iíve been able to confirm. Iíll do it in an understanding and gentlemanly way.
So if youíd like to see some of my stuff (all free - I donít sell anything) you can go to YouTube and enter a search: Advanced Portrait Painting Through Universal Line.
Most of you have no interest in painting, but the definite context keeps oneís feet on solid ground while dealing with abstract concepts.
See ya.

Welcome, JohnPaolucci, ah the 70's. The series "Kung Fu" was on then bringing eastern philosophy to this western (pun intended) wold.

One line I always recollect...

"May I become a cup, empty of myself and full of oneness with the universe."

It's on again on a couple cable channels.

Welcome everyone

Try the community and humor section to build your post count.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=26

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=28

Mike! 11th August 2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketyk (Post 11351754)

Yes, we need more not funny in the humor section.

ScumbagTrev 12th August 2016 09:55 AM

Hello. My name is Trev and I'm new to this forum. I've been involved with a couple of other forum sites (none of this subject) and hope I can bring good answers and ask a lot of questions. Knowledge is power. I reside in the USA in East Central Illinois. I am a former volunteer firefighter and also a 3 year veteran of a small-town police department near my hometown. I've worked 4 years now as a private security contractor. I am currently injured which has forced my work from me. Sorry to ramble, but I hope to make some new friends, and learn as much as possible. Thank you all for listening.

COLONEL 12th August 2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScumbagTrev (Post 11437718)
Hello. My name is Trev. Sorry to ramble, but I hope to make some new friends, and learn as much as possible. Thank you all for listening.

Welcome Trev Hey the more you ramble the more we get to know about you, I'm sure you will find something here to peak your interest. We will be passing thru your state next year on our way to the Harley Museum.

ScumbagTrev 12th August 2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLONEL (Post 11437830)
Welcome Trev Hey the more you ramble the more we get to know about you, I'm sure you will find something here to peak your interest. We will be passing thru your state next year on our way to the Harley Museum.

Hope you enjoy the museum and be safe on the ride! At least in IL you don't have to wear a helmet as long as you have sunglasses or safety glasses on.

The Man 12th August 2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScumbagTrev (Post 11437718)
Hello. My name is Trev and I'm new to this forum. I've been involved with a couple of other forum sites (none of this subject) and hope I can bring good answers and ask a lot of questions. Knowledge is power. I reside in the USA in East Central Illinois. I am a former volunteer firefighter and also a 3 year veteran of a small-town police department near my hometown. I've worked 4 years now as a private security contractor. I am currently injured which has forced my work from me. Sorry to ramble, but I hope to make some new friends, and learn as much as possible. Thank you all for listening.

Welcome ScumbagTrev, My girlfriend's son is in IL doing some pipeline work and I'm currently out on temporary disability (work injury). I hope to be released for work soon. Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Nice user name by the way.

Welcome everyone.