International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Welcome! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Welcome new Members! Introduce yourselves here! (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64023)

Belz... 8th June 2017 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 11874015)
When does this website become a chat?

inorite? :Banane01:

Quote:

How wrong of me I've been acting as this is a serious place devoted to scepticism!
When was that?

quadraginta 8th June 2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argumemnon (Post 11874102)
Quote:

When does this website become a chat?

inorite? :Banane01:

Quote:

How wrong of me I've been acting as this is a serious place devoted to scepticism!
When was that?

Oh, come on!.

Everyone else knows he's been acting.

Surely you aren't the only one in on it.

marplots 8th June 2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepherd (Post 11874097)
I wasn't sure where or even whether to post this, but I thought some here might like to know. He seems to have done most of his posting in the JREF forum from 2007 to 2010.

There's a thread now for deceased members. I think it's in Forum Community.

arthwollipot 8th June 2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

When does this website become a chat? How wrong of me I've been acting as this is a serious place devoted to scepticism!

The two are not mutually exclusive.

There is a chat, by the way. It's not formally affiliated with the forum at all, but a bunch of us hang out there. Either use a browser at skepticsrock.com or set a client to irc.skepticsrock.com channel #chat.

Shepherd 8th June 2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marplots (Post 11874694)
There's a thread now for deceased members. I think it's in Forum Community.

Thanks. I should have thought to look there directly. Instead I did a couple of quick searches with the forum's search feature without much luck. "RIP" is too short a search term, apparently.

aleCcowaN 9th June 2017 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 11875040)
The two are not mutually exclusive.

There is a chat, by the way. It's not formally affiliated with the forum at all, but a bunch of us hang out there. Either use a browser at skepticsrock.com or set a client to irc.skepticsrock.com channel #chat.

Thank you for the info.

It means that it's kind of a goodbye for me. Now I see why so many posters are not ashamed of the level of what they post (besides the Dunning-Krugger thingy).

Foolmewunz 9th June 2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleCcowaN (Post 11875690)
Thank you for the info.

It means that it's kind of a goodbye for me. Now I see why so many posters are not ashamed of the level of what they post (besides the Dunning-Krugger thingy).

Maybe we should appeal to management for a "Buh-Bye" thread. This one's the Welcome New Members Introduce Yourselves Here thread.

So, welcome one and all. As you sadly note the departure of Mr. Cowan, let this be a lesson to you. If the fact that there was actually a "Forum Chat" comes as a surprise to you after being a member for eight years, maybe you're not availing yourselves of the resources of the forum. As we slog through the tedium of being True SkepticsTM, there are threads in Forum Community, Humor, Hobbies and DIY, Entertainment, Arts and Lit, Sports,... all sorts of things. At least two, perhaps more, of our most prolific posters spend the bulk of their time in "Humor", for instance.

aleCcowaN 10th June 2017 07:26 AM

Yes, this site is pretty much like you...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz (Post 11876919)
Maybe we should appeal to management for a "Buh-Bye" thread.

...modest wins something in between every now and then and once in a blue moon, and yet the sore winner type...

Quote:

If the fact that there was actually a "Forum Chat" comes as a surprise to you after being a member for eight years, maybe you're not availing yourselves of the resources of the forum.

...with activities on irc channels under other domains that are not linked here...

Quote:

there are threads in Forum Community, Humor, Hobbies and DIY, Entertainment, Arts and Lit, Sports,... all sorts of things. At least two, perhaps more, of our most prolific posters spend the bulk of their time in "Humor", for instance.

... activities that are not visible to visitors, surely because they're not the main goal.

Quote:

As we slog through the tedium of being True SkepticsTM

That task corresponds to the people leaving lately.

You left scepticism long time ago, though I reckon the tedium is still with you.

I suggest for you to recover the spirit, not to post in the publicly visible parts of this "thriving community" other time than Monday to Thursday, GMT. On weekends your posts exhale no fresh breeze and your argumentations are sitting ducks.

arthwollipot 10th June 2017 07:19 PM

May I suggest that the Welcome Thread is not the most ideal place for this conversation?

quadraginta 10th June 2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 11877919)
May I suggest that the Welcome Thread is not the most ideal place for this conversation?

Leavin' through the door what ya come in through?

It has a certain rough symmetry.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

COLONEL 17th June 2017 09:20 AM

Well it has been a while since I have stopped here to see and welcome the Newbie's. So I figured I would stop in today and check things out. Looks like we have a few join up since I was here last . So I say Welcome Newbies

Prometheus 22nd June 2017 03:55 PM

What? No cookies?

Czarcasm 27th June 2017 12:44 PM

Old newbie here. I used to post on the old board, but didn't realize I was already signed up for this one and tried to register...and got rejected, of course. :D
Luckily, I remembered both my original name and my password, and was able to sign in.
Did I miss anything in the last couple of years?

The Man 27th June 2017 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 11899874)
Old newbie here. I used to post on the old board, but didn't realize I was already signed up for this one and tried to register...and got rejected, of course. :D
Luckily, I remembered both my original name and my password, and was able to sign in.

Welcome back Czarcasm, the same juicing as before just different (though not always) piglets. I did have a bout of the banning sickness, but I got better.

marplots 27th June 2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Bunch of stuff. There was this one thing where someone claimed something and no one could believe it and they fought about it with a bunch of bad feelings on both sides. But that got resolved last year.

And then Trump happened.

quadraginta 27th June 2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

There was the big giveaway where all the members who showed their loyalty by promptly signing up for the new board got free BMWs and the actor or model of their choice.

But aside from that, no. Not much.

Czarcasm 27th June 2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 11900037)
There was the big giveaway where all the members who showed their loyalty by promptly signing up for the new board got free BMWs and the actor or model of their choice.

Was that to make up for that "Trump" thing that happened?

quadraginta 27th June 2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Czarcasm (Post 11900081)
Was that to make up for that "Trump" thing that happened?

Naw. It was before that.

And it wouldn't be enough to make up for Trump, anyway.

HopDavid 10th July 2017 05:21 AM

Is there a section that describes the mark up available on this forum? Is there a way to embed videos?

I will use this post to do some experimenting. If there's a sandbox I could play with, hope someone will let me know.

Size="1"
Size="2"
Size="3"
Size="4"
Size="5"
Size="6"

Strike through

Bold Italic Underline

HopDavid 10th July 2017 05:26 AM

Is there a section that describes the mark up available on this forum? Is there a way to embed videos?

I will use this post to do some experimenting. If there's a sandbox I could play with, hope someone will let me know.

Size="1"
Size="2"
Size="3"
Size="4"
Size="5"
Size="6"

Strike through

Bold Italic Underline

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11304

bruto 10th July 2017 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HopDavid (Post 11914500)

In the ""Forum Help and Member Support" subsection you'll find a forum called "TEST" which I think is the place where you can do all this stuff, as well as a section that tells you some of the procedures for doing things.

As far as embedding videos, you can embed YouTube videos with the tag {yt} and {/yt} (using the square brackets in actual practice). Inside the tag you use only the numerical part of the link, stripping out everything before, and including, the slash.

The posting window comes in two versions, one of which includes more options, so make sure you enable the full options. It includes fonts, scales and colors, and a paperclip icon that opens a window in which you can embed images and other files from your own computer without requiring an external link.

quadraginta 10th July 2017 07:18 AM

If you click on the pull-down menu "Help" in the right-hand corner of each page banner you will find a selection labeled "Post Formatting Codes" which should give you the info you are asking for.

The other sections in that menu are also well worth perusing at least once. (For both new members as well as old ones who might have somehow overlooked them.)

Lave 10th July 2017 11:11 AM

Hi everyone

Hi guys cool to be here:)

I wish to ask a question but don't really know which forum to ask it. My question would be...... Someone on another forum who sells t-shirts won't give me a straight answer as to who manufactures the t-shirts he's selling as in who makes the actual shirt. All he will say is he uses the same manufacturer for his shirts as the one used by the JREF. Could someone tell me who manufactures the shirts for the JREF?

Thanks in advance and I hope to share some good debates and conversations in the future.

bruto 10th July 2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lave (Post 11914938)
Hi guys cool to be here:)

I wish to ask a question but don't really know which forum to ask it. My question would be...... Someone on another forum who sells t-shirts won't give me a straight answer as to who manufactures the t-shirts he's selling as in who makes the actual shirt. All he will say is he uses the same manufacturer for his shirts as the one used by the JREF. Could someone tell me who manufactures the shirts for the JREF?

Thanks in advance and I hope to share some good debates and conversations in the future.

Although there are likely members here who are still connected to JREF, and although it's possible they would know, this forum itself is no longer affiliated with JREF. You may have to go there and see if you can find contact info there, as that's the only way you can be sure, including the possibility that the source has been changed. In the meantime, though, I would question whether a person who is so coy about a straight answer could be trusted to be telling the truth anyway. Does he cut the labels out?

Lave 10th July 2017 12:48 PM

He's a sly one that's for sure but I've got that covered, I think lol. Anyone who has a shirt could point me in the right direction .

bruto 10th July 2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lave (Post 11915045)
He's a sly one that's for sure but I've got that covered, I think lol. Anyone who has a shirt could point me in the right direction .

True, but there is no guarantee that the supplier remains the same.

arthwollipot 10th July 2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 11914619)
If you click on the pull-down menu "Help" in the right-hand corner of each page banner you will find a selection labeled "Post Formatting Codes" which should give you the info you are asking for.

This is true but I beg you not to overuse formatting codes in your posts. Use them, but use them sparingly.

quadraginta 10th July 2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 11915280)
This is true but I beg you not to overuse formatting codes in your posts. Use them, but use them sparingly.

Mea culpa.

I'll try to do better.

:o

arthwollipot 11th July 2017 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 11915315)
Mea culpa.

I'll try to do better.

:o

Not just you - everybody, especially the newbies. :thumbsup:

Lave 11th July 2017 12:55 PM

The closest I can get is a photo on an ad but its too pixelated to read when I zoom in, two words.

Foolmewunz 11th July 2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lave (Post 11916186)
The closest I can get is a photo on an ad but its too pixelated to read when I zoom in, two words.

I don't recall the JREF actually having an "official" t-shirt. Someone may have used the B&W Randi pic logo and made a shirt once, but I can't recall it ever having been on CafePress, where the stuff was listed.

I read some early exchanges of people looking for, for instance, the "Debunk" tee, which showed Randi taking down Geller and (I think??) Popoff. It was mentioned then that someone had a friend make some up and they took them along to venues where Randi was appearing.

Thereby, someone at some point might have "made" the JREF t-shirt du jour. But what does "made" mean? Designed? Was the jobber who did the silkscreening? Or sub-contracted the actual purchase of the tees? The t-shirt business uses "blanks". The quality depends on what they order. The one (and only) shirt I've ever seen was a low quality cotton tee. Nothing to write home about. Others may have seen other shirts and can comment.

Imhotep 13th July 2017 07:05 AM

New member checking in

I'm here to argue with Argumemnon. Mostly kidding! But I am here to help represent the moderate position on politics. I'm pro-science and anti-woo so I won't be causing any troubles in that department.

quadraginta 13th July 2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imhotep (Post 11918416)
I'm here to argue with Argumemnon. Mostly kidding! But I am here to help represent the moderate position on politics. I'm pro-science and anti-woo so I won't be causing any troubles in that department.

So you're a bleeding heart, tree hugging, gun hating, baby killing, Commie, Pinko, Intellectual Elitist intent on overthrowing the Natural Order™ and letting Godless Atheists™ and Al Qaeda take over the country and put all Good Godfearing Christians™ into FEMA camps?

Good. We need more of those.

The Man 13th July 2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imhotep (Post 11918416)

Welcome Imhotemp. Someone taking a moderate position in the politics sections?!?! Almost makes unicorns, shape shifting reptilian aliens and building dustifying space based energy weapons sound rational.

Best regards to yer mummy.

Imhotep 13th July 2017 10:39 AM

Thanks for the warm welcomes. To me, the moderate position is just one of sound logic and planning devoid of dogma. Let the issues be decided based on rational analysis... is it wrong? :jaw-dropp Tired of the red-blue football match, we need some strong voices from the center. I always liked Jon Stewart's approach.

The Man 13th July 2017 04:23 PM

Yep, Stewart was one of a kind. Always had to hand it to his research staff. If there was some tape of you saying the wrong or opposite thing, they'd find it.

zooterkin 13th July 2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lave (Post 11916186)

I have a TAM t-shirt from 2013, and a Team Randi shirt from the same time, both say TULTEX on the label.

JJM 777 14th August 2017 05:17 AM

Today I came back from a self-imposed 12+ month suspension, which became 17 months without the good ol' JREF Forum. What an amount of Trump-bashing I must have missed.

I went away frustrated at the rate at which completely meaningful discussion was AAH'ed, for being "out of topic" in the opinion of a moderator. Everything is related to everything in life, universe and everything. Therefore it is either impossible or meaningless to keep discussion "on topic", it would practically prevent discussion about life, universe and everything. Or at least discussion about how everything is related to everything, which is rather essential for seeing the big picture.

The Man 14th August 2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJM 777 (Post 11956536)
Today I came back from a self-imposed 12+ month suspension, which became 17 months without the good ol' JREF Forum. What an amount of Trump-bashing I must have missed.

I went away frustrated at the rate at which completely meaningful discussion was AAH'ed, for being "out of topic" in the opinion of a moderator. Everything is related to everything in life, universe and everything. Therefore it is either impossible or meaningless to keep discussion "on topic", it would practically prevent discussion about life, universe and everything. Or at least discussion about how everything is related to everything, which is rather essential for seeing the big picture.

Welcome, back JJM 777. Indeed I fear you may have at least 21 months of Trump-bashing to catch up on if you what the full picture there. To that and your moderation objection I can only say that smaller pictures do have their advantages.

geordie 4th September 2017 06:52 PM

By way of introduction...

Hi. I heard about this site over at ApolloHoax.net.

I have been an Apollo program enthusiast my entire life.

I first came across The Skeptical Inquirer in the mid 1980s.

The first argument I had over space travel, etc., was with another kid in the early 1970s. He claimed it was Steve Austin, of The Six Million Dollar Man fame, while I maintained it was Neil Armstrong.

marplots 4th September 2017 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie (Post 11984565)
(some snipped)

The first argument I had over space travel, etc., was with another kid in the early 1970s. He claimed it was Steve Austin, of The Six Million Dollar Man fame, while I maintained it was Neil Armstrong.

Don't leave me hanging - which of you turned out to be correct?

Horhang 26th September 2017 05:06 PM

Me

Not a lot to say, but...
Studied history in university. Spent 5 years teaching English in South Korea because there was no hope of finding a teaching job in California without ESL experience. Returned to find that the experience was not helpful, and spent 15 years as a substitute teacher, because as I discovered history teachers never retire; my theory is they stay around until they finally get to teach their childhood.
I spent 3 years in long term substitute jobs in Science at the same school and was encouraged to take the state tests for accreditation in general science by the teachers I worked with. Took the tests and passed and have been a general science middle school teacher for 4 years.

The Man 30th September 2017 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horhang (Post 12009317)
Not a lot to say, but...
Studied history in university. Spent 5 years teaching English in South Korea because there was no hope of finding a teaching job in California without ESL experience. Returned to find that the experience was not helpful, and spent 15 years as a substitute teacher, because as I discovered history teachers never retire; my theory is they stay around until they finally get to teach their childhood.
I spent 3 years in long term substitute jobs in Science at the same school and was encouraged to take the state tests for accreditation in general science by the teachers I worked with. Took the tests and passed and have been a general science middle school teacher for 4 years.

Dang, History to English to Science teacher. My worst nightmare as a student. Someone who would correct my crappy lab set up and crapola writing at the same time and then relate the historical significance of my mistakes.

Welcome Horhang, first time I ever heard the theory of when history teachers are history.

Hopeful Parallel 6th November 2017 03:41 AM

Hello to all newcomers! I'm a starter here:) First time to hear too about history of teachers never retire.

John Freestone 15th November 2017 04:20 AM

Hell O (I'm working through them alphabetically)

Hi there, not-really-newby here, a JREF-returner.

I usually just say hi in these welcome things, but I thought I'd take a leaf out of other recent posters' posts and say a bit about myself. I was always very 'philosophical' ('daydreamer') at school. Did well academically until Eastern philosophy memes infected my mind, and I dropped out of my BSc to be a wise hippie dude. When guilt, boredom and poverty forced me to it, I trained as a counsellor, leading to the nearest thing in my life to a career, now long finished. I work part-time at a visitor centre now, and do some hours in a call-centre.

I am grateful to JREF for being one of the walls I banged my head against until the unsupportable ideas in it broke. I'm now a sceptic, realist, all the good stuff. I'm fascinated (depending on the season, apparently) by ontological theories (universe as computation, no-free-will, consciousness...), and I came back here to help me learn more.

Look forward to having some fruitful convos. Cheers!

Foolmewunz 15th November 2017 07:54 PM

ShamelessGit, go to the Humor sub-forum. There are a number of threads you can just post a few words in to get your count up. Cluttering up this thread might get you in trouble. (Albeit mild trouble, e.g. sidelong glances.)

Sparhafoc 16th November 2017 08:43 AM

Hello one and all.

I am not quite sure how I never stumbled upon this place over the years, but I found it now... and after some registration shenanigans, I am finally a member.

I am what some have described, disdainfully I might add, as an arch-skeptic. This is partly due to my curious nature and a desire to know truth, even if it's inconvenient, and partly due to training in the sciences, philosophy and the philosophy of science.

If you believe something, I'm afraid I probably don't, and while my skepticism may upset or rile you, I can only be what my brain allows me to be. I didn't choose to disbelieve your pet preferred notion, I have no choice in the matter, so don't take it personally! ;)

By and large, I am more interested in finding out why people believe irrational or poorly established ideas than I am in divesting them of that belief. But I don't like egos getting in the way of discovery, and tend to lend short shrift to such people.

My background is human evolution, ancient history, and biology but I enjoy discussing topics on everything from cosmology to art.

Cheers
Sparhafoc

Sparhafoc 16th November 2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz

I'm just down t' road from you in Krung Thep. ;)

winter salt 18th November 2017 07:48 PM

Hi everyone. I apologize for skipping introducing myself here before I posted something else. I guess with this, I might be the only new member who started with an apology to everyone.
Long time dogma-sufferer, de-conversion partially started at around 27, accelerated from 30 to 40 (from islm), gained new dimentions recently with more in-depth reading and listening (mostly "the atheist experience, you tube channel), Chapman Cohen etc.
Living in NJ for 19 years. Trying to learn and improve in all aspects of life, especially in the intellectual realm.
Have a nice weedend everyone !

The Man 19th November 2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winter salt (Post 12082728)
Hi everyone. I apologize for skipping introducing myself here before I posted something else. I guess with this, I might be the only new member who started with an apology to everyone.
Long time dogma-sufferer, de-conversion partially started at around 27, accelerated from 30 to 40 (from islm), gained new dimentions recently with more in-depth reading and listening (mostly "the atheist experience, you tube channel), Chapman Cohen etc.
Living in NJ for 19 years. Trying to learn and improve in all aspects of life, especially in the intellectual realm.
Have a nice weedend everyone !

Welcome winter salt, no need to apologize the welcome thread isn't a requirement nor is it particularly difficult to miss. Can't even recall when I first found this thread. NJ, so we ain't that far apart geographically speaking and your name being very timely for this area. Unfortunately it has been many decades side I've had a "weedend".

Welcome everyone.