International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And Thereís Nothing Funny (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324808)

The Big Dog 7th December 2017 08:51 AM

DEVELOPING: Sen. Franken will deliver a speech on Senate floor at 11:45 a.m. Eastern, 10:45 central.

kellyb 7th December 2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

If... these butt grabs were not sexual,
Am I the only person around who has never encountered a non-sexual butt grab?

bytewizard 7th December 2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyb (Post 12105400)

Obviously, you haven't met Senator Al Franken.

WilliamSeger 7th December 2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12105007)
It's all over for Al, don't kid yourself. The good news is that he can write another humor book with no jokes and call it something like Donald Trump Doesn't Grab for Rump and maybe talk about their contrasting styles.

Yes, if Franken admits his behavior and resigns, that will definitely show "contrasting styles."

Dumb All Over 7th December 2017 09:51 AM

Live Senate now.

Dumb All Over 7th December 2017 09:54 AM

Franken says he will resign.

The Big Dog 7th December 2017 09:57 AM

Franken: "Nevertheless today I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate."

Pterodactyl 7th December 2017 09:59 AM

I really like Al Franken and thought he was a nice addition to the political landscape when he was elected. To me it looked like he had been doing good work. I enjoyed his appearances on Bill Maher and other shows. He spoke a lot of truth and common sense.

But, you can't do the stuff he did. That's the price you pay.

TragicMonkey 7th December 2017 10:00 AM

Bye, don't let the door grope your butt on your way out!

The Big Dog 7th December 2017 10:08 AM

Franken's self serving speech was awful.

All woman deserve to be heard .....BUT...Some allegations are simply not true, others I remember very differently...

'k. Thx, bye.

theprestige 7th December 2017 10:09 AM

Well that sucks.

BobTheCoward 7th December 2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12105467)
Franken's self serving speech was awful.

All woman deserve to be heard .....BUT...Some allegations are simply not true, others I remember very differently...

'k. Thx, bye.

What would a non self serving speech sound like?

logger 7th December 2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyb (Post 12105400)

No, but it was still shocking.

The Big Dog 7th December 2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 12105478)
What would a non self serving speech sound like?

well, first of all not patting himself on the back for sticking up for women and then immediately throwing his accusers under a vague bus of denial.

BobTheCoward 7th December 2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12105489)
well, first of all not patting himself on the back for sticking up for women and then immediately throwing his accusers under a vague bus of denial.

Assuming he thinks he did not do those things, how do you handle that speech better?

logger 7th December 2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger (Post 12105423)
Yes, if Franken admits his behavior and resigns, that will definitely show "contrasting styles."

Yep! The vast majority of accused Dems have admitted to it. But it makes sense Dems are the majority party in sexually harassing women. A party that embraces free love is going to have issues like this. ;)

Cleon 7th December 2017 10:26 AM

Toodles, *******. Try to take Conyers, Trump, and the rest of the pervs with you.

The Big Dog 7th December 2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 12105492)
Assuming he thinks he did not do those things, how do you handle that speech better?

I just said so, and considering that we are in the middle of a developing story, forgive me in advance if I do not indulge your 20 questions approach to "discussion."

How would you make the speech better? Heck of a question for you to answer yourself.

BobTheCoward 7th December 2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12105507)
I just said so, and considering that we are in the middle of a developing story, forgive me in advance if I do not indulge your 20 questions approach to "discussion."

How would you make the speech better? Heck of a question for you to answer yourself.

If I had an answer to that question, I wouldn't have asked the question.

Also, you didn't actually say what would be a better thing to say if franken doesn't believe his accusers.

Jerrymander 7th December 2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logger (Post 12105501)
Yep! The vast majority of accused Dems have admitted to it. But it makes sense Dems are the majority party in sexually harassing women. A party that embraces free love is going to have issues like this. ;)

What's life like inside that glass house, person who's side is sticking with a child molester?

LTC8K6 7th December 2017 10:33 AM

I just don't see why he would resign over these allegations, or why his colleagues would demand it. Why not have an ethics investigation first?

It's as if the Dems want him gone too, out of proportion to the allegations.

We have been assured that Moore will be investigated should he be elected, although I'm not sure if the ethics panel has jurisdiction over things that happened so long ago.

Dr. Keith 7th December 2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12105450)
Franken: "Nevertheless today I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate."

I wonder how many will follow his example.

logger 7th December 2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrymander (Post 12105521)
What's life like inside that glass house, person who's side is sticking with a child molester?

Accused? You understand the difference between Dems admitting and republicans being accused?

Your party has been proven what it is.

logger 7th December 2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12105526)
I just don't see why he would resign over these allegations, or why his colleagues would demand it. Why not have an ethics investigation first?

We have been assured that Moore will be investigated should he be elected, although I'm not sure if the ethics panel has jurisdiction over things that happened so long ago.

The Dems have no choice, itís going to be almost impossible for them to overcome the label of the sexual harassment party. There is bordering on at least 100 now who have been accused and admitted. Itís also nowhere near over. Wait till all the pedophilia accusations come out, then are admitted to.

Dr. Keith 7th December 2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 (Post 12105526)

The Dems did not do as well with women in the last presidential election as they would like. Franken's actions were not consistent with the image they want to have as a party. It is a long play and I am not sure it will work. But really, what do they lose by trying?

Jerrymander 7th December 2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logger (Post 12105531)
Accused? You understand the difference between Dems admitting and republicans being accused?

So defending child molesters is okay, as long as they deny it.

BobTheCoward 7th December 2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

I think one of the problems with franken is his lack of admission.

Dr. Keith 7th December 2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

The party of personal responsibility?

BobTheCoward 7th December 2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrymander (Post 12105540)

Yes, that is actually okay. If someone tells you they didn't do something and you believe them, it is okay to defend them.

logger 7th December 2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrymander (Post 12105540)

See in this country itís innocent until proven guilty. Unless the accused admits to it. :thumbsup:

BobTheCoward 7th December 2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logger (Post 12105547)
See in this country itís innocent until proven guilty. Unless the accused admits to it. :thumbsup:

Only for purposes of legal proceedings. That isn't intended to govern you daily interactions.

Jerrymander 7th December 2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logger (Post 12105547)

That's for the courts. By the way, are the rape allegations against Bill Clinton true?

logger 7th December 2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 12105543)
The party of personal responsibility?

Lol

Yes, the democrat party is replete personal responsibility. I hear them talk about all the time... oh wait. :rolleyes:

logger 7th December 2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrymander (Post 12105549)
That's for the courts. By the way, are the rape allegations against Bill Clinton true?

You tell me first if you think they are true. ;)

Stacko 7th December 2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 12105539)
The Dems did not do as well with women in the last presidential election as they would like. Franken's actions were not consistent with the image they want to have as a party. It is a long play and I am not sure it will work. But really, what do they lose by trying?

The majority of them also view these issues seriously and not just as a partisan cudgel. Rep. Blake Farenthold stands in the exact same position as John Conyers and that hasn't even rated a meh reaction from the GOP.

Jerrymander 7th December 2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 12105546)
Yes, that is actually okay. If someone tells you they didn't do something and you believe them, it is okay to defend them.

Why do you believe them? That's the question.

LTC8K6 7th December 2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 12105539)

I think that they are using Franken to set a precedent that they will try to use on Moore and maybe Trump and others.

Presuming that Moore wins the election, of course.

They get to replace Franken with another Dem, and then they would get another shot at Moore's seat.

The problem is that the precedent of believing accusations and using them to remove elected officials will then apply to both sides.

Cleon 7th December 2017 10:46 AM

Remember, when Franken admits feeling up women, it's because he's guilty.

When Trump admits feeling up women, it's because of the Democrats and "fake news."

QED.

Jerrymander 7th December 2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logger (Post 12105554)
You tell me first if you think they are true. ;)

I asked you first.

LTC8K6 7th December 2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerrymander (Post 12105557)
Why do you believe them? That's the question.

The burden should be on the accuser, imo.

The accused has no burden, imo, until some evidence beyond the accusation comes up.