International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   The War on Non-Christmas (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247622)

jj 11th November 2012 03:01 PM

The War on Non-Christmas

There is no such thing as a war on Christmas.

There is, however, a war on it not being Christmas 24/7, as evidenced by the fact I am already seeing lights, Christmas displays, advertisements, and "don't wait for black Friday" posters.

There is a war, and the war is to extend Christmas to January 2.

Enough, already.

I'm tempted to say "boycott Christmas", but that's socially unacceptable.

AlBell 11th November 2012 03:04 PM

You can have a lump of coal as your present.

jj 11th November 2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlBell (Post 8763104)

Well, Al, I'm sure you have lots of that from your mine. Is it ok if I don't burn mine this time?

commandlinegamer 11th November 2012 03:09 PM

Er, there are twelve days of Christmas: it ends on the 5th of January.

I'm all in favour of of everyone celebrating for just under two weeks, my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December. It perhaps ought to be a month/six-weeks later, when people are really miserable and need a good cheering-up.

Darat 11th November 2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Handy for first footing.

qayak 11th November 2012 03:12 PM

Costco in my area had Christmas stuff out long before they had their Halloween stuff on sale. Late September, early October, for Christmas trees (fake), decorations, and toys.

Which is why I truly hate Christmas. When I was young it was because the day just didn't live up to all the hype, now it is because the entire holiday paints such a depressing picture of the state of society and humanity.

ehcks 11th November 2012 03:12 PM

Walmart is now starting "Black Friday" on Thanksgiving at 8pm and staying open all night..

commandlinegamer 11th November 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qayak (Post 8763119)
Costco in my area had Christmas stuff out long before they had their Halloween stuff on sale. Late September, early October, for Christmas trees (fake), decorations, and toys.

Which is why I truly hate Christmas. When I was young it was because the day just didn't live up to all the hype, now it is because the entire holiday paints such a depressing picture of the state of society and humanity.

That's nothing new. IIRC, Plato moaned about Xmas traders touting their wares earlier every year.

thaiboxerken 11th November 2012 03:14 PM

Christmas is just a marketing scheme there to get people to buy stuff that they normally wouldn't for people that don't need it.

manofthesea 11th November 2012 03:33 PM

Last week at work while at our morning coffee break I recommended that we should alternate winter festivals every year.
One year would be Christmas, the next Dongzhi, then Obon, then the Mars festival, Sol Invictus next, Kwanzaa, Makahiki, a Druidic solstice festival, even Hanukkah.

Tough crowd, I didn't get any agreement, just some giggling from my coworker who was raised Jehovah Witness. The rest just want to see large ticket items go on deep discount.
Plus Xmas sales account for 40-60 percent of annual sales at a large portion of American retail establishments.

arthwollipot 11th November 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer (Post 8763110)
..my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December.

Uh-huh. Sure. Yep.

Tiktaalik 11th November 2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

I'm all in favour of of everyone celebrating for just under two weeks, my only quibble being that winter hasn't really set in by the end of December. It perhaps ought to be a month/six-weeks later, when people are really miserable and need a good cheering-up.

That's what Presidents' Day is for! Whoo-hoo, everybody's favorite holiday!

FreshHat 11th November 2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiktaalik (Post 8763316)
That's what Presidents' Day is for! Whoo-hoo, everybody's favorite holiday!

Don't forget to purchase some orange drink for the long ride home.

qayak 11th November 2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer (Post 8763124)
That's nothing new. IIRC, Plato moaned about Xmas traders touting their wares earlier every year.

You meant Play Doh, right?

Beerina 11th November 2012 05:02 PM

There's no more virulently atheist ass on the planet than me, but I already have the first three stations on my car radio programmed to the three stations in range broadcasting Christmas songs 24 hours a day already.

I stumbled across one, programmed it in, and then saw on the news that night that the station had started just that day.

Vic Vega 11th November 2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer (Post 8763124)

Your recollection is flawed. Plato died hundreds of years before the common era.

patchbunny 11th November 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

I put this in my brother's stocking one year. :)

Cainkane1 11th November 2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj (Post 8763098)

There is, however, a war on it not being Christmas 24/7, as evidenced by the fact I am already seeing lights, Christmas displays, advertisements, and "don't wait for black Friday" posters.

Enough, already.

Well other religions don't seem to mind the lights and decorations so would it be too much trouble for the skeptics to put up with it for just a few weeks. Christmas is good for business and the economy nd it really doesn't hurt anything.

Skeptics can set up their own displays.

joesixpack 11th November 2012 06:37 PM

I ******* hate Christmas. There are a veriety of reasons, not the least of which is the superficial "joy" and the false spirit of giving. I prefer American Thanksgiving. I like my family and friends, and I love a good meal with a large group. Gift giving is a giant waste of money. People buy me crap I don't want and never would buy for myself, and I buy crap for people that they don't want or need. I'd rather have them over for a drink and a meal. This is why I treat Christmas like a sequel to Thanksgiving. I have a meal with friends and family. I could give two ****s about the rest of the **** that goes along with it.

tyr_13 11th November 2012 06:43 PM

Our store received and had to put out for sale Christmas ribbon... on August 28th.

Yeah...

Draca 11th November 2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qayak (Post 8763119)

I don't agree with this. Costco for one goes both in early and out early for shopping seasons. Most Christmas items are out of Costco a couple of weeks before Christmas. The idea is for people to buy items FOR Christmas when it does come. Not to display Christmas in its season.

Is everyone suppose to wait until the week before Christmas to run out and buy all the decorations and presents? Can you imagine how unbearable the stores would all be? Why is it so wrong to prepare for things ahead of time.

Now if Costco was playing Christmas music and decorating the actual warehouse at the same time I would agree with you. That would be extending the season way to early, not just offering goods for people to buy in preparation. That's not what they're doing though.

Draca 11th November 2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesixpack (Post 8763537)
I ******* hate Christmas. There are a veriety of reasons, not the least of which is the superficial "joy" and the false spirit of giving. I prefer American Thanksgiving. I like my family and friends, and I love a good meal with a large group. Gift giving is a giant waste of money. People buy me crap I don't want and never would buy for myself, and I buy crap for people that they don't want or need. I'd rather have them over for a drink and a meal. This is why I treat Christmas like a sequel to Thanksgiving. I have a meal with friends and family. I could give two ****s about the rest of the **** that goes along with it.

I completely agree. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for the reasons you give.

Christmas has also been better since the family cut down on gift giving. Now we draw one family member's name for a gift exchange. The gift giving stress has been shredded and the holiday is now centered on the more important things.

joesixpack 11th November 2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draca (Post 8763738)
I completely agree. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for the reasons you give.

Christmas has also been better since the family cut down on gift giving. Now we draw one family member's name for a gift exchange. The gift giving stress has been shredded and the holiday is now centered on the more important things.

This is why I married a Jew. Well, a Jewish atheist. My family has come to the conclusion that gifts are for children, everyone else just gets a hug and a hot meal.

Maya22 11th November 2012 08:43 PM

The adults in our family give donations to non-profits in the name of of other family members. (I love Heifer International Seva.)

)

The children still receive tangible gifts from the adults.

steve s 11th November 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesixpack (Post 8763752)
My family has come to the conclusion that gifts are for children, everyone else just gets a hug and a hot meal.

That's how it is in my family. Once you're out of high school the gifts basically stop, although occasionally my sister will get me a book that she thinks I might be interested in.

Steve S

PhantomWolf 11th November 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Enough, already.

I'd point out that shopping has zero to do with christmas, and in itself is an attack on the true meaning of the celebration, but in a world brainwashed into buying things everytime the TV shows the word "SALE", I think I'd be peeing into the wind.

Craig4 11th November 2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

My mother once threatened me with coal as a gift. I explained how I could use it to make an explosive. I never got coal.

Cl1mh4224rd 11th November 2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Christmas imperialism. :p

jj 12th November 2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 8763128)
christmas is just a marketing scheme there to get people to buy stuff that they normally wouldn't for people that don't need it.

amen

jj 12th November 2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Indeed, my poorly phrased point was that major retail establishments were trying to push the START of the season BACK to Jan 2.

Which would indeed overlap the lot, as I intended to suggest.

jj 12th November 2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 (Post 8763481)

Newtonmas? What kind of display? Falling apples? :p

jj 12th November 2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf (Post 8763881)
I'd point out that shopping has zero to do with christmas, and in itself is an attack on the true meaning of the celebration, but in a world brainwashed into buying things everytime the TV shows the word "SALE", I think I'd be peeing into the wind.

Well, which celebration? Christmas, Yule, Saturnalia? :)

And for the rest of your comment, you betcha I'm in agreement, although the last is a sad truth.

SezMe 12th November 2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

One thing that really torques me is this inane "war on ..." crap. War on Christmas. War on drugs. War on terror. I want to see a war on (war on...).

Its not a benign meme. Using war as a metaphor invokes all the strategies, concepts and divisiveness of real war. Doing this warps a more meaningful discussion of whatever the issue is.

I'm disappointed that you would succumb to this type of language. Well, the other possibility is that I'm getting all huffy over a tongue-in-cheek OP. If so, start a war on me. :)

Vermonter 12th November 2012 01:47 AM

I for one really like Chrismas lights and plan on putting them up pretty soon. I used to be bothered, but by now I'm used to see Christmas decorations up by the time Halloween has rolled around.

This is The End 12th November 2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SezMe (Post 8764071)
One thing that really torques me is this inane "war on ..." crap. War on Christmas. War on drugs. War on terror. I want to see a war on (war on...).

Its not a benign meme. Using war as a metaphor invokes all the strategies, concepts and divisiveness of real war. Doing this warps a more meaningful discussion of whatever the issue is.

I agree with that times a million. War is serious. Leave the word war for the real thing.

Alt+F4 12th November 2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Folks in New Jersey would love that as a present.

Alt+F4 12th November 2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SezMe (Post 8764071)

I'm disappointed that you would succumb to this type of language. Well, the other possibility is that I'm getting all huffy over a tongue-in-cheek OP. If so, start a war on me. :)

Oh please. Yeah I agree a "War on Christmas" is not an appropriate use of the "war" as a defined word. War is armed conflict between nations or parties; both the War on Terror and the War on Drugs meet this definition.

Soapy Sam 12th November 2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj (Post 8764044)
Indeed, my poorly phrased point was that major retail establishments were trying to push the START of the season BACK to Jan 2.

Which would indeed overlap the lot, as I intended to suggest.

This had already occurred by about 1708. Christmas has moved back through the year so far it has actually been lapped.
What you will be forced to celebrate this December is in fact Christmas 2013.

Dancing David 12th November 2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 (Post 8763481)
Well other religions don't seem to mind the lights and decorations so would it be too much trouble for the skeptics to put up with it for just a few weeks. Christmas is good for business and the economy nd it really doesn't hurt anything.

yes, but the War of Christmas seems to be that the stores are playing the annoying music already and the TV ads have started.

Dancing David 12th November 2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesixpack (Post 8763537)

There is always the alternative of giving food and requesting food.

But I agree, the original tradition was food and some small gifts. But at some point the Military Industrial Complex got involved.

:D