International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Only 6 more months until Election Day! (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235641)

shemp 7th May 2012 07:18 AM

Only 6 more months until Election Day!

Only 6 more months of interminable lies, garbage and horse dooky! Then we get maybe a week off (if we're lucky) before it starts all over again!

Howie Felterbush 7th May 2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 8263924)
Only 6 more months of interminable lies, garbage and horse dooky! Then we get maybe a week off (if we're lucky) before it starts all over again!

You're a crazy dreamer, shemp.

That's why we love you.

shemp 7th May 2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howie Felterbush (Post 8263931)
You're a crazy dreamer, shemp.

That's why we love you.

I'm such an optimist.

BenBurch 7th May 2012 09:08 AM

I'd be happy for two politics-free hours after the election. Maybe we can schedule from 2-4 am the following Saturday?

JoeTheJuggler 7th May 2012 09:17 AM

You guys prefer we have a monarchy or something like that in order to avoid political campaigns?

BenBurch 7th May 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler (Post 8264247)
You guys prefer we have a monarchy or something like that in order to avoid political campaigns?

No, I just wish that we could confine the nutjobs to a couple of never-elected fringe parties and let the adults run the Democrats and the GOP.

Spindrift 7th May 2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

I would happily go for vastly limited campaigns (in time and possibly money), but with our constitution and form of government I don't see that happening.

shemp 7th May 2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

I'd prefer a campaign of no more than six months from first primary to general election. The first week of May would be the start of the primaries, and no paid political advertising before April 1st. Nobody needs this much time to make up their minds for whom to vote.

BenBurch 7th May 2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 8265586)
I'd prefer a campaign of no more than six months from first primary to general election. The first week of May would be the start of the primaries, and no paid political advertising before April 1st. Nobody needs this much time to make up their minds for whom to vote.

Damn straight. Unfortunately, I think we would need to make Constitutional changes to enforce that.

Brainster 7th May 2012 06:44 PM

If you get a chance, read (or re-read) The Making of the President, 1960 by Ted White. It was written about 50 years ago, and you will think you are reading about another country. The opening chapter talks about JFK's announcement of his decision to run for the Presidency, in late January, 1960.

MG1962 7th May 2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

No just adopt the Westminster system - 6 weeks every three years...done and dusted