International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   India launches Airstrikes on Pakistan.. (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335007)

arthwollipot 6th March 2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12624127)
What's the difference between an incident happening at a lower rate than previously, and a dangerous escalation?

In the former, things get quieter and less violent. In the latter, things get louder and more violent.

theprestige 6th March 2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 12624135)
In the former, things get quieter and less violent. In the latter, things get louder and more violent.

Sorry, I didn't express my question clearly enough.

Say it used to be border clashes at a rate of five a year. Then the rate drops to one a year. About a year from now, there's another border clash. Is it the same old business of border clashes, at the new lower rate? Or is it a dangerous escalation?

arthwollipot 6th March 2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theprestige (Post 12624148)
Sorry, I didn't express my question clearly enough.

Say it used to be border clashes at a rate of five a year. Then the rate drops to one a year. About a year from now, there's another border clash. Is it the same old business of border clashes, at the new lower rate? Or is it a dangerous escalation?

Depends. For how long has it been at the lower rate? If it's fifteen years, I would call that a new status quo.

That's how long it's been since there were serious clashes in Kashmir, by the way. I didn't pull that number out of my butt.

a_unique_person 6th March 2019 07:44 PM

Can we all relax now?

Susheel 7th March 2019 02:06 AM

I guess you guys can. But we in India cannot. Now that the war drum situation has sort of petered out with little national support, Modi is up to his other dirty trick the party is famous for. Manufacturing an internal law and order crisis that he can benefit from. The recent revelations on the the Rafale scandal by The Hindu has left the current government very vulnerable to legal action. Modi has also been more or less behaving as erratically as Trump at his election rallies.

dudalb 7th March 2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 12624285)
Can we all relax now?

FOr the moment. But the India Pakistan standoff continues to be one of the most dangerous situations in the world, and the one most likely to cause a Nuclear Exchange.
And you have two not exactly the most trustworthy governments.
India's is dominated by Hindu Fanatics; Pakistan is, to use the classic line about Prussia in the 19th and early 20th centuries, not a country with an army but an army with a country.

theprestige 7th March 2019 05:44 PM

Pakistan probably backed down a bit once they realized India outclasses them in modern jet fighters.