International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Continuation The Trump Presidency: Part 19 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341209)

alfaniner 4th January 2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 12943041)
Plus, during the primaries, the rational vote was split between all the rational candidates, but the irrational vote all went to Candidate Trump.

I have to wonder how many of those were "joke" votes? As in "I know this guy can't possibly win, but I'll enjoy telling my buds at the bar that I voted for Trump."

Darat 4th January 2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12943033)
That's why he's such a problem. Traditional bad Presidents still had vague concepts like at least not trying to be cartoonishly evil or at the very, very least simple self preservation making sure the base concept of "No matter how evil, greedy, and spiteful I want to be I at least recognize I'm better for purely selfish reasons if the country I live in continues to work and exist."

Trump is an unhinged manchild either being enabled by or using (or some sort of twisted self feeding version of both) a populace so spiteful and without hope that they want the whole system pulled down on everyone's head.

Trump has no ability to feel shame.

BrooklynBaby 4th January 2020 02:40 PM

This place is so funny. It's like a TDS Convention.

Safe-Keeper 4th January 2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12943124)
I have to wonder how many of those were "joke" votes? As in "I know this guy can't possibly win, but I'll enjoy telling my buds at the bar that I voted for Trump."

Or protest votes. "I know this guy can't possibly win, but I'll enjoy the liberals seeing how many people voted for Trump".

acbytesla 4th January 2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby (Post 12943204)

Yeah. It's a laugh riot. :rolleyes:

Captain_Swoop 4th January 2020 03:39 PM

Trump Tweets

As hard as I work, & as successful as our Country has become with our Economy, our Military & everything else, it is ashame that the Democrats make us spend so much time & money on this ridiculous Impeachment Lite Hoax. I should be able to devote all of my time to the REAL USA!

Aridas 4th January 2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby (Post 12943204)

Mmm. If only it were TDS. If only.

Instead, we constantly face things like... EPA's own Trump-appointed board scolds it for actions that ignore science

Quote:

Since the day he moved into the White House, Donald Trump has done everything possible to reduce the effectiveness of the EPA. That not only included turning the whole agency over to lobbyists, and removing regulations, but dismissing scientists by the score. However, there is still a Scientific Advisory Board which was established along with the agency in 1978. That board is now dominated by members, several of them non-scientists, who were appointed to their positions by Trump. Last week that board posted a set of draft reports about how EPA’s recent actions align with scientific data.

Spoiler alert: They don’t.

What the drafts show is that the actions taken the Trump EPA—and in particular the reclassification of waterways that rolls back the “Waters of the United States” definition made under Barack Obama—don’t just weaken regulations in a way that represents a threat to the public and environment. Perhaps even more importantly, the board loaded with Trump appointees repeatedly made it clear that the regulations weren’t just bad, but they were directly counter to the best scientific information.

<snip>

With the lack of internal review and the deliberate exclusion of studies on how pollution affects human health, the agency is set up to “undercut the integrity of environmental laws” and to introduce “systematic bias” in favor of polluters.
Trump and his Administration are, quite literally, acting like they're over-the-top cartoon villains way too much of the time, when it comes to what they're actually doing. Certainly, there are also a number of good things that they've done, and those things do deserve credit, but doing a good thing doesn't even remotely cancel out doing lots of much worse bad things for each good thing. That's even with the right-wing desperation that's led to literally making up good things to attribute to him out of nothing, believing blindly when he and Republican propagandists lie outright, accepting utterly nonsensical attempts to spin bad into good, and so much more brazen dishonesty.

newyorkguy 4th January 2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12943033)
That's why he's such a problem. Traditional bad Presidents still had vague concepts...

This to me is one of the weirdest things about the Trumpmeister. He has his supporters but he also has consistently had the worst approval numbers of any president in history; he is the most unpopular president we've ever had, at least in recent memory (I don't want to argue 19th century politics); he won the presidency with the largest losing margin in the popular vote of any president in U.S. history; a large segment of the population not only oppose him they consider him incompetent and beneath the dignity of the office. He is regularly accused of being a prolific liar; even some of his supporters seem to concede that.

Yet none of this seems to bother Trump at all. In fact, it seems to barely register on him. When someone is constantly accused, for example, of being a liar, it's human nature for that person to at least attempt to prove they're not a liar. Yet Trump just ignores it. And argues just the opposite: he's the greatest president in U.S. history.

He's like a character out of a comic book.

acbytesla 4th January 2020 04:11 PM

I just saw a bumper sticker and I'm confused about them. I'm curious what others thought about it.

It said "GOP for Voldemort 2020".

Aridas 4th January 2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 12943304)
I just saw a bumper sticker and I'm confused about them. I'm curious what others thought about it.

What are you confused about?

acbytesla 4th January 2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 12943308)
What are you confused about?

Are they Republican?

Armitage72 4th January 2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12943273)
Trump Tweets

As hard as I work, & as successful as our Country has become with our Economy, our Military & everything else, it is ashame that the Democrats make us spend so much time & money on this ridiculous Impeachment Lite Hoax. I should be able to devote all of my time to the REAL USA!

Yes, people who oppose him aren't really part of this country.

Aridas 4th January 2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 12943313)
Are they Republican?

Probably not.

acbytesla 4th January 2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 12943343)
Probably not.

That's what I was thinking. But OTOH, it seems like so many Trump supporters are actually proud that there is a batcrap crazy man in the White House.

acbytesla 4th January 2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Trump Tweets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 12943316)
Yes, people who oppose him aren't really part of this country.

Along this line, apparently the Trump administration notified Israel ahead of time their intention to kill the general. But not the gang of eight.

Norman Alexander 4th January 2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 12943298)
This to me is one of the weirdest things about the Trumpmeister. He has his supporters but he also has consistently had the worst approval numbers of any president in history; he is the most unpopular president we've ever had, at least in recent memory (I don't want to argue 19th century politics); he won the presidency with the largest losing margin in the popular vote of any president in U.S. history; a large segment of the population not only oppose him they consider him incompetent and beneath the dignity of the office. He is regularly accused of being a prolific liar; even some of his supporters seem to concede that.

Yet none of this seems to bother Trump at all. In fact, it seems to barely register on him. When someone is constantly accused, for example, of being a liar, it's human nature for that person to at least attempt to prove they're not a liar. Yet Trump just ignores it. And argues just the opposite: he's the greatest president in U.S. history.

He's like a character out of a comic book.

Have you reconsidered mental instability or illness?

Captain_Swoop 4th January 2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 12943313)
Are they Republican?

Captain_Swoop 4th January 2020 05:15 PM

Iran is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets as revenge for our ridding the world of their terrorist leader who had just killed an American, & badly wounded many others, not to mention all of the people he had killed over his lifetime, including recently....

....hundreds of Iranian protesters. He was already attacking our Embassy, and preparing for additional hits in other locations. Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have.....

....targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!

Captain_Swoop 4th January 2020 05:17 PM

Isn't threatening to target non-military cultural sites an act of terrorism and a war crime?

The Man 4th January 2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12943378)
Isn't threatening to target non-military cultural sites an act of terrorism and a war crime?

Perhaps regular old crimes just don't get him off any more?

Armitage72 4th January 2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

If the US does it, it's not a war crime.

Norman Alexander 4th January 2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 12943376)
Iran is talking very boldly about targeting certain USA assets as revenge for our ridding the world of their terrorist leader who had just killed an American, & badly wounded many others, not to mention all of the people he had killed over his lifetime, including recently....

....hundreds of Iranian protesters. He was already attacking our Embassy, and preparing for additional hits in other locations. Iran has been nothing but problems for many years. Let this serve as a WARNING that if Iran strikes any Americans, or American assets, we have.....

....targeted 52 Iranian sites (representing the 52 American hostages taken by Iran many years ago), some at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!

Sounds EXACTLY like the Taliban. This after visit withe all the evangelical leaders too.

Steve 4th January 2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 12943432)
If the US does it, it's not a war crime.

Unfortunately true.

For much of my lifetime the USA was respected in a large part of the planet for their ethical positions. That sure has changed in the past three years.

Segnosaur 4th January 2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

So is threatening to kill the wives and children of terrorists, but it didn't stop stubby mcbonespurs from saying that in the 2016 election.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Armitage72 4th January 2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 12943488)
So is threatening to kill the wives and children of terrorists, but it didn't stop stubby mcbonespurs from saying that in the 2016 election.

A number of years ago, I saw a right-wing writer call for the US military to resume the use of siege warfare. Surround an enemy city, don't let anyone or anything in, and kill anyone who tries to leave, until the city surrenders.

SezMe 4th January 2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 (Post 12942803)
He was pretty successful in his quest to become president.
Much to the chagrin of most posters here.
I certainly never thought he could do it.

At the time I posted, this line of thought gave me pause. I finally decided that Zig's claim that Trump was "successful" did not bear up under scrutiny.

Yes, he's president but, in my view, in spite of, not because of his actions as a candidate. Consider that HRC had been subject to a decades-long effort to smear her, Russia kept the phony email scandal alive for months on end, Comey disastrously handled the FBI investigation then note that he lost the popular vote by ~2.9 million votes. He's only president because of an archaic electoral system giving undue preference to small, rural states.

Consider his performance as President. He has no policy principles to guide him so he lurches from one decision to the next. He was actually laughed at at the UN. He acts as president of his base, not president of the USA. He's a divisive, ineffectual leader.

Consider his career prior to 2015. He was not a successful businessman. He was not considered a favorite son by New York state or by the city itself.

Finally consider him as a human being. He's a habitual liar. He has no concept of empathy. Loyalty is a one-way street. Nearly every one who comes in contact with him comes away lesser for the experience. He's a con man and a bully. His narcissism is way beyond unhealthy.

So I stand by my claim: He is not a successful person by any measure you may chose to judge him.

Safe-Keeper 4th January 2020 06:44 PM

Furthermore his base only stands by him because they're a new kind of fanatical cult-like body that seems to stand by him loyally regardlessly of what he does or says. Maintaining popularity when your base acts like mindless drones isn't much of an achievement either, particularly when you fail to gain new followers.

A president put under the same scrutiny as Obama, Bush or any of the predecessors would have been kicked out of the White House a long time ago.

Safe-Keeper 4th January 2020 07:17 PM

Someone, possibly Iranians, have hacked the web site of the Federal Depository Library Program. The front page of the site has bween replaced by an Iranian message and, more worryingly, an image of the Orangeführer being hit in the face by a fist.

Trump, being an adult capable of restraining himself, will surely not respond to such a petty insult in a childish, destructive or for that matter dangerous way :) .

(Would be sort of funny if he had an Iranian web site hacked and replaced by some of his Twitter messages).

Aridas 4th January 2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

It's not just him threatening war crimes. Lindsay Graham was threatening civilians who worked in Iran's oil industry.

Norman Alexander 4th January 2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 12943558)
It's not just him threatening war crimes. Lindsay Graham was threatening civilians who worked in Iran's oil industry.

Oooo, he's big and brave!

Skeptic Ginger 4th January 2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Trump Tweets

:confused:

Wonder where he heard that?

Skeptic Ginger 4th January 2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 12943304)

Translation:

GOP supports Trump 2020

Regnad Kcin 4th January 2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Trump Tweets

Ever the kidder.

Aridas 4th January 2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin (Post 12943568)
Ever the kidder.

To be fair, given his upbringing, he might actually think that he's working hard. He was made a millionaire by the time he was 7, after all, with even less work.

Skeptic Ginger 4th January 2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper (Post 12943546)
Someone, possibly Iranians, have hacked the web site of the Federal Depository Library Program. The front page of the site has bween replaced by an Iranian message and, more worryingly, an image of the Orangeführer being hit in the face by a fist.

Trump, being an adult capable of restraining himself, will surely not respond to such a petty insult in a childish, destructive or for that matter dangerous way :) .

(Would be sort of funny if he had an Iranian web site hacked and replaced by some of his Twitter messages).

The image of Trump is almost as good as Kathy Griffin's

Norman Alexander 4th January 2020 07:48 PM

Quick question, my American friends. What is the "REAL USA"??

newyorkguy 4th January 2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorkguy (Post 12943298)
This to me is one of the weirdest things about the Trumpmeister. He has his supporters but he also has consistently had the worst approval numbers of any president in history; he is the most unpopular president we've ever had, at least in recent memory (I don't want to argue 19th century politics); he won the presidency with the largest losing margin in the popular vote of any president in U.S. history; a large segment of the population not only oppose him they consider him incompetent and beneath the dignity of the office. He is regularly accused of being a prolific liar; even some of his supporters seem to concede that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12943371)
Have you reconsidered mental instability or illness?

Undoubtedly, but I want to emphasize what not why. I don't want to put his supporters on the defensive, I want to try and reach them (a few, anyway) and say, 'Hey look what kind of a person he is.' This is not GWB. This guy is a whole different ballgame.

Many Democrats say, if a Democratic president behaved this way, "I would not support them." I believe them; I wouldn't either. People really need to wake up. Trump isn't just a liar and deranged-acting. The man is dangerous.

thaiboxerken 4th January 2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 12943581)
Quick question, my American friends. What is the "REAL USA"??

In Trumpistan, the REAL USA is comprised of white men with money.

Regnad Kcin 4th January 2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Trump Tweets

As hard as I work, & as successful as our Country has become with our Economy, our Military & everything else...

USA ranked 27th in the world in education and healthcare — down from 6th in 1990

Just a couple examples among many available that demonstrate there’s nothing save for catsup on a steak our boy likes more than demonstrating his ignorance.

thaiboxerken 4th January 2020 08:07 PM

Did anyone else observe that Trump's "speech" about the strike against Iran was given like a scared toddler trying to appear tough?