International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Mountains Gorillas now “endangered” instead of “critically endangered” (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340176)

Orphia Nay 8th November 2019 11:34 AM

Mountains Gorillas now “endangered” instead of “critically endangered”

Before she died in 1985, Dian Fossey predicted the species could go extinct by 2000.

Numbers have risen from 680 a decade ago to just over 1,000 today

“[The] Switzerland-based International Union for Conservation of Nature [has] changed the status of mountain gorillas from “critically endangered” to “endangered,” an improved if still-fragile designation, reflecting new survey data.

“It wouldn’t have happened without an intervention some biologists call “extreme conservation,” which has entailed monitoring every single gorilla in the rainforest, periodically giving them veterinary care — to clean infected wounds, for instance — and funding forest protection by sending money into communities that might otherwise resent not being able to convert the woods into cropland.”

https://apnews.com/71df4e97bcba43769bcaaa7c125e2cec

Nice article includes reporting about funding, tourism, local jobs, veterinary care.

Orphia Nay 8th November 2019 11:41 AM

I think the topic of discussion could be to highlight how multiple strategies and genres of knowledge create environmental, economic, and social change.

To raise the tension it might be worth mentioning that I saw this story from AP first thing on Facebook posted by Leonardo di Caprio (or by a social media admin of his page). :)

Galaxie 8th November 2019 03:50 PM

Well I'll be a monkey's ape's uncle...good news for a change

cullennz 8th November 2019 05:36 PM

She was an odd unit, old Fossey.

Big ups for the love of the animals, but the rest was a bit nutty.

Silly Green Monkey 8th November 2019 09:15 PM

Who knew access to healthcare was so instrumental in preventing needless death?

Orphia Nay 9th November 2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cullennz (Post 12885808)
She was an odd unit, old Fossey.

Big ups for the love of the animals, but the rest was a bit nutty.

I think I've read that Fossey said some superstitious things that later caused harm, but I can't recall what. Also might be conflating things with Rachel Carson. I think one was against GMOs (and used the anti-GMOer's traditional Argument from Ignorance), and the other was against chemicals and particularly DDT, and the reduction of the use of DDT in areas saw increases in deaths from malaria outbreaks where malaria had been eradicated.

I can't imagine what you would think was nutty in the article about Gorilla numbers increasing.

rockinkt 9th November 2019 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay (Post 12885998)
I think I've read that Fossey said some superstitious things that later caused harm, but I can't recall what. Also might be conflating things with Rachel Carson. I think one was against GMOs (and used the anti-GMOer's traditional Argument from Ignorance), and the other was against chemicals and particularly DDT, and the reduction of the use of DDT in areas saw increases in deaths from malaria outbreaks where malaria had been eradicated.

I can't imagine what you would think was nutty in the article about Gorilla numbers increasing.

I think cullennz was applauding Fossey's gorilla preservation work but was also pointing out that Fossey was a violent racist alcoholic. She allegedly beat a poacher's testicles with stinging nettles and also kidnapped a local child for a time. In other words - she got along better with gorillas than she did with her fellow humans. That would be considered by most people as being "nutty".

shemp 9th November 2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey (Post 12885894)

Trump certainly doesn't.

William Parcher 9th November 2019 04:49 PM

The researchers need to identify the buck-toothed hick gorillas and prevent them from breeding. If they don't do that it's going to be trailers and dirt track racing up on the mountain.

Skeptical Greg 9th November 2019 05:21 PM

:D

Roboramma 9th November 2019 08:49 PM

Very very good news. Every species is a treasure of the natural world, but as one of our closest relatives, with complex emotional lives, the extinction of Mountain Gorillas would be a particular tragedy, and they came so close.

They aren't out of the woods yet, but it's good to see that the situation has been improving due to the hard work of conservationists.

Orphia Nay 9th November 2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey (Post 12885894)

I see what you did there. :)

Orphia Nay 9th November 2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinkt (Post 12886034)
I think cullennz was applauding Fossey's gorilla preservation work but was also pointing out that Fossey was a violent racist alcoholic. She allegedly beat a poacher's testicles with stinging nettles and also kidnapped a local child for a time. In other words - she got along better with gorillas than she did with her fellow humans. That would be considered by most people as being "nutty".

Ah, yep, thanks, looking back it doesn't appear to be a comment on the article.

It was a good article, and I was hoping he'd read it.

angrysoba 10th November 2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roboramma (Post 12886674)
They aren't out of the woods yet,

I hope not. Isn't that their natural habitat?