International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   White House Survivor (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321828)

Stacko 4th October 2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis (Post 12019494)
It appears that way, but I would like more information on WHY.

A public health service. Think of the damage of the eye rolling at, "Can Secretary of State Nikki Haley save the GOP," columns would induce. That could cause some strains.

Doubt 4th October 2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12019420)
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ws_report.html

He won't be the first person fired for excessive truth-telling.

***ALL MY CHIPS ON TILLERSON***

Just saw the CNN scroll stating that "Trump aware that Tillerson called him a moron".

I think Rex will be gone by Monday.

Stacko 4th October 2017 08:27 AM

On NBC, @SRuhle clarifies that her source says Tillerson didn’t just say moron — “he said ****** moron"
:p

Armitage72 4th October 2017 08:30 AM

Mattis is publicly questioning Trump's judgment. He'd better be careful.

Quote:

Secretary of Defense James Mattis said Tuesday that he believes it is in US national security interest to remain in the Iran nuclear agreement despite repeated hints from President Donald Trump that he is inclined to scrap the deal.
During a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Sen. Angus King asked Mattis: "Do you believe it is in our national security interest at the present time to remain in the (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action)? That is a yes or no question."
Mattis replied, "Yes, senator, I do."

"The point I would make is if we can confirm that Iran is living by the agreement, if we can determine that this is in our best interests then clearly we should stay with it," Mattis added. "I believe at this point in time absent indications to the contrary, it is something the President should consider staying with."

Trump said that it's a terrible deal that we should get out of at the first opportunity. How dare he disagree.

phiwum 4th October 2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12019420)
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ws_report.html

He won't be the first person fired for excessive truth-telling.

***ALL MY CHIPS ON TILLERSON***

Well, yes, but you can't expect much return on what seems a near certainty.

d4m10n 4th October 2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubt (Post 12019519)
Just saw the CNN scroll stating that "Trump aware that Tillerson called him a moron".

I saw that one too. ;)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27bc99a8b9.jpg

The Great Zaganza 4th October 2017 09:19 AM

The problem for Trump is not that Tillerson called him a *********** moron - that can be handled with enough sweet-talk.
But that it has become public knowledge makes Trump think it will make him look weak.

jimbob 4th October 2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12019623)
The problem for Trump is not that Tillerson called him a *********** moron - that can be handled with enough sweet-talk.
But that it has become public knowledge makes Trump think it will make him look weak.

That was what I was thinking.

Especially with the very public non-denial.

Trebuchet 4th October 2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis (Post 12019479)
Hmmm. Tillerson never considered leaving, and doesn't understand the media "misreporting" everything. Plays the "I'm not from Washington" card.

Honestly, IDK what's doing here.:boggled:

Haven't most of the previous WH evacuees made similar statements right before leaving? I'm pretty sure Spicer did.

Toontown 4th October 2017 09:43 AM

Of course. Precision requires the asterisk- laden adjective.

Presumably Tillerson was chosen for the SoS position in part because of his verbal precision.

d4m10n 4th October 2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phiwum (Post 12019565)
Well, yes, but you can't expect much return on what seems a near certainty.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/8123#data

jimbob 4th October 2017 03:03 PM

Of course the most notorious tweeter has already produced a tweet for every occasion


https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...780480/photo/1

From 2014

ETA you have to click on the photo to see the caption in all its glory :D

Craig4 4th October 2017 04:32 PM

Tillerson is now a little prison date. His one chance to save any self-respect was to resign after he got undercut by the president while he was in China.

Trebuchet 4th October 2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 12020204)
Of course the most notorious tweeter has already produced a tweet for every occasion


https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...780480/photo/1

From 2014

ETA you have to click on the photo to see the caption in all its glory :D

And even then it can get covered up, so here's the caption:
"I keep thinking that we should include something in this constitution in case the people elect a *********** moron."

dudalb 4th October 2017 06:28 PM

Tillerson's creditbility as S.O.S with other countries is pretty much shot after this tiff.
I don't think his penance today will save him. I suspect he will be gone before Halloween.

dudalb 4th October 2017 06:33 PM

Not sure it qualifies as a White House Casuality but Tim Murphy , GOP congressman from Pennsylvania, will not run for relection after he, a hardline anti abortion leader, was caught.via texting, urging his mistress to get an abortion.
In a year full of hypocrisy, this one stands out.

quadraginta 4th October 2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12020469)
Tillerson's creditbility as S.O.S with other countries is pretty much shot after this tiff.
I don't think his penance today will save him. I suspect he will be gone before Halloween.


And that is only one effect.

More importantly, I think, is that the credibility of any SecState under Trump is now pretty much shot with other countries.

They know that Trump will cheerfully contradict anything his official Secretary of State says in a heartbeat, without hesitation, whenever it suits him.

That doesn't do much for credibility no matter who has the job.

quadraginta 4th October 2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12020472)
Not sure it qualifies as a White House Casuality but Tim Murphy , GOP congressman from Pennsylvania, will not run for relection after he, a hardline anti abortion leader, was caught.via texting, urging his mistress to get an abortion.
In a year full of hypocrisy, this one stands out.


Color me surprised. That's actually more integrity than I have come to expect from the average GOP pol. Usually they just claim to be "saved", beg for forgiveness, and go back to work with the enthusiastic support of the people who voted them in before.

(This option is not available to Democrats, of course, since they aren't ever "real" Christians.)

Darth Rotor 4th October 2017 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis (Post 12019494)
It appears that way, but I would like more information on WHY.

ETA: I don't believe him when he makes noises like it's love of country, duty etc

Why do you hate America?

@Quad
Quote:

This option is not available to Democrats, of course, since they aren't ever "real" Christians.
Sez you. Are you qualified to make that assessment? If so, would you care to establish your bona fides? 'Round where I live, quite a few very liberal people are very vocal Democrats and Christians.

NoahFence 4th October 2017 08:07 PM

Corker says that Tillerson, Mattis and Kelly are the only thing that keeps us from total chaos. That's probably why he's sticking around.


But...emails!

PhantomWolf 4th October 2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor (Post 12020572)
Why do you hate America?

@Quad

Sez you. Are you qualified to make that assessment? If so, would you care to establish your bona fides? 'Round where I live, quite a few very liberal people are very vocal Democrats and Christians.

If they are liberals they are faking it, and are likely to really be a secret Muslim, or worse one of those atheists! Just ask any "true Conservative."

Toontown 5th October 2017 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahFence (Post 12020577)
Corker says that Tillerson, Mattis and Kelly are the only thing that keeps us from total chaos. That's probably why he's sticking around.


But...emails!

But Kelly Ann Conway spun that as protecting us from the chaos in the external world.

I think she is a True Believer. Trump has her mesmerized with his Caring Nurturer act. Plus the fact that he pays her $1000 a word to chatter like a demented magpie on TV.

The Great Zaganza 5th October 2017 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toontown (Post 12021028)
I think she is a True Believer.

Maybe.

Sunken Cost and Stockholm Syndrome are a powerful combination.

But more importantly, Conway is the last high-ranking asset of the Mercer family in the Trump administration, after Bannon had to go. It is them who pay her, no Trump.

Craig4 5th October 2017 05:04 PM

Tillerson should have resigned instead of going to the Whitehouse tonight. It's going to be the difference between being a martyr for his country and a little bitch.

d4m10n 5th October 2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12022132)
Tillerson should have resigned instead of going to the Whitehouse tonight. It's going to be the difference between being a martyr for his country and a little bitch.

Tillerson has a moral duty to stay for so long as he sincerely believes he can help avert war on the peninsula.

Stacko 5th October 2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12022132)
Tillerson should have resigned instead of going to the Whitehouse tonight. It's going to be the difference between being a martyr for his country and a little bitch.

Resignations are a Friday activity in this administration (Spicer, Priebus, Bannon, Price).

Trebuchet 5th October 2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12022214)
Tillerson has a moral duty to stay for so long as he sincerely believes he can help avert war on the peninsula.

Wellington ended the Peninsular War over 250 years ago! Oh, you mean the Korean peninsula. That war has never officially ended since 1952.

Seriously, if Tillerson can pull that off he's doing well. Trump has seemed pretty determined to have "Fire and Fury". At the moment he's mostly interested in "Fake News" reporting what's actually happening in Puerto Rico, but he's got the attention span of a gnat.

quadraginta 5th October 2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4m10n (Post 12022214)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12022132)
Tillerson should have resigned instead of going to the Whitehouse tonight. It's going to be the difference between being a martyr for his country and a little bitch.

Tillerson has a moral duty to stay for so long as he sincerely believes he can help avert war on the peninsula.


I see.

A deluded little bitch?

Problem is that you are working on the premise that there is any morality there to begin with.

Trump's Cabinet is comprised of people who agreed to be Trump subordinates in full knowledge of his character and track record.

Being that (for whatever faults they might have) they are not stupid ... or blind ... there is no way that they could not know that Trump would ignore, contradict, and humiliate them at any given moment, if for no other reason than simply because he could. Personal morality begins with a certain minimum of self-respect. Obviously that is not an impediment to their political ambitions.

It is unlikely that any moral imperative is in play. They were all the first ones as the list of potential candidates was pared away willing to prostitute themselves for the prestige of the position.

d4m10n 5th October 2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 12022364)
I see.

A deluded little bitch?

Problem is that you are working on the premise that there is any morality there to begin with.

Trump's Cabinet is comprised of people who agreed to be Trump subordinates in full knowledge of his character and track record.

Being that (for whatever faults they might have) they are not stupid ... or blind ... there is no way that they could not know that Trump would ignore, contradict, and humiliate them at any given moment, if for no other reason than simply because he could. Personal morality begins with a certain minimum of self-respect.

Self-respect is important, indeed, but perhaps it may be outweighed by hundreds of thousands of human lives in the balance.

dudalb 6th October 2017 08:28 PM

CNN is reporting that Kelly might be nearing the breaking point,telling Trump that if Tillerson goes it would be almost impossible for him to function as COS.Since Tillerson is pretty much a Dead Man Walking, we could have a double exit.....

dudalb 6th October 2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quadraginta (Post 12022364)
I see.

A deluded little bitch?

Problem is that you are working on the premise that there is any morality there to begin with.

Trump's Cabinet is comprised of people who agreed to be Trump subordinates in full knowledge of his character and track record.

Being that (for whatever faults they might have) they are not stupid ... or blind ... there is no way that they could not know that Trump would ignore, contradict, and humiliate them at any given moment, if for no other reason than simply because he could. Personal morality begins with a certain minimum of self-respect. Obviously that is not an impediment to their political ambitions.

It is unlikely that any moral imperative is in play. They were all the first ones as the list of potential candidates was pared away willing to prostitute themselves for the prestige of the position.

I am not sure I agree with a blanket condemnation of those who agreed to serve in a Trump white house. I think some of the them know what Trump is, but through that somehow they could shield the country from his worst excesses. I think they were mistaken, but I can understand why they accepted the posts.

The Great Zaganza 7th October 2017 12:03 AM

Trump is in a bit of a bind when it comes to firing Tillerson: he has called the"*********** moron" comment Fake News. So he can't use it as the excuse for getting rid of Rex.

quadraginta 7th October 2017 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 12023884)
Trump is in a bit of a bind when it comes to firing Tillerson: he has called the"*********** moron" comment Fake News. So he can't use it as the excuse for getting rid of Rex.


When has inconsistency ever presented any sort of obstacle to Trump?

Craig4 7th October 2017 02:40 AM

The irony in all of this is that it here's no debate about Trump being a moron. Most of the country thinks he is. Kelly just needs to go in and explain that to Trump.

The Don 7th October 2017 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12023934)
The irony in all of this is that it here's no debate about Trump being a moron. Most of the country thinks he is. Kelly just needs to go in and explain that to Trump.

Would require a backbone - something for which IMO evidence is lacking.

Stacko 7th October 2017 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12023764)
CNN is reporting that Kelly might be nearing the breaking point,telling Trump that if Tillerson goes it would be almost impossible for him to function as COS.Since Tillerson is pretty much a Dead Man Walking, we could have a double exit.....

Wouldn't be so bullish on a Rexit happening soon.

Quote:

Other Trump insiders point to the potentially hefty tax bill Tillerson would have to pay if he resigns before serving a year in government.
He only has to put up with four more months of this to avoid that.

Craig4 10th October 2017 05:38 PM

After the "IQ Test" comments from the Whitehouse, Tillerson is just a whipping boy. He should just pay the tax man (how much better can you eat?) and save what's left of his dignity.

d4m10n 10th October 2017 05:51 PM

I really wish Mensa would step up for once.

Trebuchet 17th October 2017 07:31 AM

Drug Czar nominee Tom Marino, whom I'd never heard of until this morning. He was supposed to do something about the opioid crisis while being in the pocket of Big Pharma.

Dr. Keith 17th October 2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trebuchet (Post 12037534)
Drug Czar nominee Tom Marino, whom I'd never heard of until this morning. He was supposed to do something about the opioid crisis while being in the pocket of Big Pharma.

Does that fall under the separate heading of "quit before officially hired"?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-19, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.