International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Today's Mass Shooting (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326633)

ponderingturtle 23rd January 2018 12:34 PM

Today's Mass Shooting

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/23/us/ke...ing/index.html

Only two dead out of 19 at least. Kentucky I would have thought you could produce better shots than that, being beaten out by Connecticut so handily?

Dr. Keith 23rd January 2018 12:42 PM

Second school shooting this week, and its only Tuesday.

ponderingturtle 23rd January 2018 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 12158025)
Second school shooting this week, and its only Tuesday.

Both in Kentucky. The other one might not have been a proper mass shooting just your basic using a gun to settle a personal dispute so it doesn't count.

fagin 23rd January 2018 12:52 PM

In the interests of expediency, and based on similar threads.

Guns bad.

Guns good.

Debate can now progress to nitpicking on details of the type of gun used.

ponderingturtle 23rd January 2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fagin (Post 12158042)

Guns bad.

Guns good.

I am trying to figure out how to run betting pools on mass shootings. Because as random events nothing can be done about, they are perfect for gambling on. That way people can feel something other than powerless frustration when there is a mass shooting.

Dr. Keith 23rd January 2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 12158034)
Both in Kentucky. The other one might not have been a proper mass shooting just your basic using a gun to settle a personal dispute so it doesn't count.

I was only aware of Monday's school shooting in Texas, which looks like a targeted shooting of the sort referenced in that famous quote by Margaret Atwood.

EventHorizon 23rd January 2018 01:22 PM

Luckily, there are going to be plenty of thoughts and prayers and people will change their Facebook profile pictures so something like this will surely never happen again.

You know what the truly sad thing is? These shootings have become so common that they aren't even being discussed right now on any of the cable news networks. Mass shootings aren't even news anymore. They just are.

KatieG 23rd January 2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith (Post 12158082)
I was only aware of Monday's school shooting in Texas, which looks like a targeted shooting of the sort referenced in that famous quote by Margaret Atwood.

It was in Italy, Texas.

bytewizard 23rd January 2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EventHorizon (Post 12158088)
Luckily, there are going to be plenty of thoughts and prayers and people will change their Facebook profile pictures so something like this will surely never happen again.

You know what the truly sad thing is? These shootings have become so common that they aren't even being discussed right now on any of the cable news networks. Mass shootings aren't even news anymore. They just are.

Sad but true. Today's shooting was carried out by a 15 year old, so not much gun control or pro-Trump angles, so the media won't give it too much thought. Unless he is white and killed non-whites.

novaphile 23rd January 2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fagin (Post 12158042)

Guns bad.

Guns good.

I believe you forgot to add:

Black guns scary

Brown guns less scary

(Hopefully I'm remembering correctly).

casebro 23rd January 2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EventHorizon (Post 12158088)

One shooting is not news. But the rate of them is. Kind of early in the year for that. Get back to me when you have some YTD stats for comparison.

Norman Alexander 23rd January 2018 06:40 PM

Keep up-to-date! Still January, but we are off to a good start.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Skeptic Ginger 23rd January 2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bytewizard (Post 12158249)
Sad but true. Today's shooting was carried out by a 15 year old, so not much gun control or pro-Trump angles, so the media won't give it too much thought. Unless he is white and killed non-whites.

He was quite overweight.

I'm going with bullied, not enough resources to help, and toss in coming from a gun family and he accessed the weapon at home because bullying alone doesn't always end up being so lethal.

A number of the kids airlifted out had GSWs to the head. I fear two is not going to be the final number here. :(

Skeptic Ginger 23rd January 2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaphile (Post 12158343)
I believe you forgot to add:

Black guns scary

Brown guns less scary

(Hopefully I'm remembering correctly).

And white guns, sad (after the fact) but now is not the time to talk about it.

Skeptic Ginger 23rd January 2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casebro (Post 12158446)
One shooting is not news. But the rate of them is. Kind of early in the year for that. Get back to me when you have some YTD stats for comparison.

You do know that January is about as arbitrary as round numbers, right? :rolleyes:

Why does the count get reset here?

Babbylonian 23rd January 2018 07:02 PM

Yeah, let's not get too excited about school shootings until next January...at which point someone will talk about how we need to see the full 2019 numbers before getting too worked up.

Craig4 23rd January 2018 07:09 PM

Hate to be callous but if Sandyhook didn't change anything this won't. There's no number of dead children that gun rights advocates won't step over for their silly little hobby.

William Parcher 23rd January 2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12158460)
He was quite overweight.

I'm going with bullied, not enough resources to help, and toss in coming from a gun family and he accessed the weapon at home because bullying alone doesn't always end up being so lethal.

County Attorney Jeffrey Edwards said, "The shootings appeared to be random, with no specific people targeted."

But maybe he did target his tormentors.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ool/1057137001

Dr.Sid 23rd January 2018 08:13 PM

How much is failure to secure weapons punished in US ? Is there a special law for it or is it just negligence with result in death ?

thaiboxerken 23rd January 2018 08:19 PM

The NRA is happy about this, it will drive up gun sales.

Skeptic Ginger 23rd January 2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Parcher (Post 12158511)
County Attorney Jeffrey Edwards said, "The shootings appeared to be random, with no specific people targeted."

But maybe he did target his tormentors.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ool/1057137001

You don't have to target your tormentors if you simply believe everyone is the same.

Pterodactyl 23rd January 2018 09:05 PM

All hopped up on Tide pods is my guess.

NoahFence 23rd January 2018 09:40 PM

Has trump commented on it yet?

Lurch 23rd January 2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12158468)
And white guns, sad (after the fact) but now is not the time to talk about it.

:thumbsup:

BStrong 23rd January 2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 12158556)

Anti 2nd amendment advocates are even happier.

thaiboxerken 23rd January 2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BStrong (Post 12158613)

Why is that? It appears that no amount of deaths by guns changes gun laws.

Babbylonian 23rd January 2018 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BStrong (Post 12158613)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken (Post 12158618)

Exactly. There is no atrocity that will convince gun lovers that the 2nd amendment isn't working as intended.

BStrong 23rd January 2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

It has in California back to 1989, but with three separate laws on the books to restrict semi-auto firearms there isn't much benefit to be determined.

thaiboxerken 23rd January 2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BStrong (Post 12158638)
It has in California back to 1989, but with three separate laws on the books to restrict semi-auto firearms there isn't much benefit to be determined.

That's debatable. The gun death rates have declined due to many factors and the restrictive gun laws very well could be one of those factors. Some studies suggest that it is a major factor.

Shadowdweller 24th January 2018 01:57 AM

Nothing says America like shooting children.....:(

Craig4 24th January 2018 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahFence (Post 12158585)
Has trump commented on it yet?

I'm sure a surrogate told us that because the shooter isn't Muslim or an illegal immigrant we shouldn't politicize this.

ponderingturtle 24th January 2018 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 12158494)
Hate to be callous but if Sandyhook didn't change anything this won't. There's no number of dead children that gun rights advocates won't step over for their silly little hobby.

Which is why we need to move school shootings from tragedy to comedy. I am looking forward to the presidents supporters harrassing the grieving parents myself.

Darat 24th January 2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Yep whip up some hysteria about how this will lead to guns being banned and what do you know a nice post Christmas sale uptake!

applecorped 24th January 2018 05:40 AM

Are the guns okay?

Ranb 24th January 2018 06:58 AM

Quote:

I don't know if the NRA is happy, but with the way things are going in Congress now, gun control is further down on the agenda. With Trump as president I suspect most of the people who would buy guns in case of a ban are not worrying at all now.

Quote:

It has before. Recall the AWB of 1994? What about the state level laws you appear to be blind to?

thaiboxerken 24th January 2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranb (Post 12158901)
It has before. Recall the AWB of 1994? What about the state level laws you appear to be blind to?

Not for a long time. 1994 is a generation ago.

NoahFence 24th January 2018 07:04 AM

Screw state level laws. Clearly that approach isn't working.

We need a national database that's used to weed out the bad guys. We need the same laws across state lines.

casebro 24th January 2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahFence (Post 12158909)

We need a national database that's used to weed out the bad guys. We need the same laws across state lines.

Would even this child be in said data base?

Porpoise of Life 24th January 2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle (Post 12158043)
I am trying to figure out how to run betting pools on mass shootings.

Someone mentioned pools. I'm going to tick that one off on my gun thread bingo card.

Craig4 24th January 2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahFence (Post 12158909)

http://khon2.com/2015/01/30/hawaii-h...nalysis-finds/

Actually it's the state laws that tell us gun control works in stopping gun deaths.