International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The post-Trump fascist creep catch-all thread (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350859)

Stacyhs 16th May 2022 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13807090)
Pilgrims intolerant of everybody else.

You're thinking of the Puritans aka Separatists. Those were the ones with the stick up their butts. Pilgrims never separated from the C of E.; they were 'reformers from within'.
The Pilgrims were not "freedom of religion' people but they weren't as intolerant as some others like the Puritans or Catholics with their Inquisition. When Quakers moved into the area, the Puritans hanged them. The Pilgrims fined and whipped and threw them out but didn't hang them.

catsmate 16th May 2022 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13807090)
Pilgrims intolerant of everybody else.

Especially Quakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 13807112)
Sure enough. Practically the first thing Martin Luther did when he got free of the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, was to burn heretics. The pilgrims, victims of religious persecution, indulged in it practically the moment they landed. Joseph Smith, chased across the country by religious zealots who murdered Mormons and burned their houses, relaxed when he got outside the border to Utah, where he could establish his own restrictive zealotry...and so on and so on...

But one of the nice side notes I like always to point out is that one of the few exceptions to this was Roger Williams, a Baptist exiled from Massachusetts for his heresy. Something clicked, and he realized the best way to make things work was to keep the government secular. A lesson sadly forgotten.

The wrong sort of protestants obviously. And he was vehemently anti-Jewish too.

bruto 16th May 2022 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13807399)
Especially Quakers.


The wrong sort of protestants obviously. And he was vehemently anti-Jewish too.

I'm always reminded of Tom Lehrer's song about National Brotherhood Week - as I recall, "Oh the Protestants hate the Catholics, and the Catholics hate the Protestants, and the Hindus hate the Muslims, and everybody hates the Jews...."

shemp 16th May 2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 13807478)
I'm always reminded of Tom Lehrer's song about National Brotherhood Week - as I recall, "Oh the Protestants hate the Catholics, and the Catholics hate the Protestants, and the Hindus hate the Muslims, and everybody hates the Jews...."

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

shemp 16th May 2022 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 13807112)
But one of the nice side notes I like always to point out is that one of the few exceptions to this was Roger Williams, a Baptist exiled from Massachusetts for his heresy. Something clicked, and he realized the best way to make things work was to keep the government secular. A lesson sadly forgotten.

He was a filthy libtard cuck!

Ladewig 16th May 2022 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 13807547)
He was a filthy libtard cuck!

Cuck is so 2020.
These days it filthy libtard groomer.

Captain_Swoop 16th May 2022 03:18 PM

Christian hate-preacher Greg Locke told the people in his Tennessee tent church today, "You cannot be a Christian and vote Democrat in this nation!"

He later threatened Democrats watching him, "You ain't seen [an] insurrection yet."

Video in link

https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/stat...48899810615301

Hellbound 17th May 2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13808038)
Christian hate-preacher Greg Locke told the people in his Tennessee tent church today, "You cannot be a Christian and vote Democrat in this nation!"

He later threatened Democrats watching him, "You ain't seen [an] insurrection yet."

Video in link

https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/stat...48899810615301


One second. Isn’t part of maintaining tax free status a requirement that the church doesn’t involve directly in politics?

Or am I behind a few court decisions?


Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.

JoeMorgue 17th May 2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellbound (Post 13808883)
One second. Isn’t part of maintaining tax free status a requirement that the church doesn’t involve directly in politics?

Or am I behind a few court decisions?

Yeah the "Holy crap we can do anything we want unless somebody stops us" Republican Act of Two Thousand and Always.

dudalb 17th May 2022 02:20 PM

The probable GOP candidate of Governor of Pennlsyvania is truly scary. He is an out and out theocrat. In some ways scarier then Trump, since he is a genuine fanatic.
SOmeone Cue Nehimiah Scudder in Heinlein's "If THis Goes On/Revolt in 2100" a Religious nutjob with a radio show who is elected President and becomes "The Prophet" and inflicts a religious theocracy on the US. And the Prophet of the Flying city of Columbia in "Bioshock: Infinity" comes to minc.

People like that are a major reason why I break with Liberal doctrine on Gun Ownership.

Aridas 17th May 2022 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13808885)
Yeah the "Holy crap we can do anything we want unless somebody stops us" Republican Act of Two Thousand and Always.

Pretty much. The Religious Right has been blatantly violating that in spirit for a long, long time, regardless, with occasional direct pushes like this on top of that. The whole abortion issue for the Religious Right was originally pretty blatant revenge against Democrats for beginning to hold them accountable by threatening their tax exemptions because of their political involvement. The actual rules enforcement when it comes to "religions" in the US is abysmal and what qualifies for such is absurdly broad. John Oliver actually poked hard at that general topic a while ago with his "Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption" religion bit, which did indeed involve creating an officially recognized religion by US rules.

eerok 24th May 2022 05:55 PM

It couldn't happen to a more ridiculous, creepy scammer. I hope this becomes a trend.

Crazed Pastor Greg Locke Dissolves Tax Exempt Status (crooksandliars.com)
Quote:

Before, that is, the IRS strips it from his deranged "church."

Crossbow 7th June 2022 12:50 PM

That whacky Trump is at it again!

In this case, he is hawking a sort-of children's book that sort-of describes how Hillary Clinton treated Trump so very badly and how Trump did not get any help from Russia during the 2016 Presidential race.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wan...013531128.html

Trump Wants Children's Book Defending 'King Donald' In 'Every School In America'

Former President Donald Trump is peddling a children’s book written by a former member of his administration that stars “King Donald” and reimagines a kingdom where the “Russionians” weren’t a factor in the 2016 election.

Now Trump wants to distribute the book to children across the land. “Let’s put this amazing book in every school in America,” Trump posted on Truth Social last week.

...

Conservative publisher Brave Books is presenting the work as both fairytale and fact. It calls the book a “fantastical retelling of the terrible true story.”

...

An Amazon review comment on the book from “DJ-T,” that included the former president’s photo, gushed: “This is the most spectacular children’s book ever! This will be YUGE!”

...

Stacyhs 8th June 2022 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossbow (Post 13827927)
That whacky Trump is at it again!

In this case, he is hawking a sort-of children's book that sort-of describes how Hillary Clinton treated Trump so very badly and how Trump did not get any help from Russia during the 2016 Presidential race.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wan...013531128.html

Trump Wants Children's Book Defending 'King Donald' In 'Every School In America'

Former President Donald Trump is peddling a children’s book written by a former member of his administration that stars “King Donald” and reimagines a kingdom where the “Russionians” weren’t a factor in the 2016 election.

Now Trump wants to distribute the book to children across the land. “Let’s put this amazing book in every school in America,” Trump posted on Truth Social last week.

...

Conservative publisher Brave Books is presenting the work as both fairytale and fact. It calls the book a “fantastical retelling of the terrible true story.”

...

An Amazon review comment on the book from “DJ-T,” that included the former president’s photo, gushed: “This is the most spectacular children’s book ever! This will be YUGE!”

...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...051d476f86.jpg

Cosmic Yak 8th June 2022 02:05 AM

He should call it 'Mein Trumpf'.

Galaxie 8th June 2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak (Post 13828275)
He should call it 'Mein Trumpf'.

Future rally speech:

Quote:

You know Hitler (a few boos are heard, and some applause) ...Hitler was a bad guy, not always, but a bad guy. But Hitler had this book 'Mein Kampf' and it was best-seller. A best-seller. And I thought, you know, wouldn't it be great to have a 'Mein Trumpf'? You know, with the F on the end? Like 'FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF', like a windmill. Oh, we hate windmills, don't we, folks?

Stacyhs 8th June 2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxie (Post 13828597)
Future rally speech:

Windmills cause cancer.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com...14db59546f.jpg

jimbob 11th June 2022 03:46 PM

https://twitter.com/AlissaAzar/statu...qgC3L0WQH35s_A

Patriot Front members arrested for attempting to crash an Idaho Pride event.

Also unmasked where those attending the event could photograph them.

Stacyhs 11th June 2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 13830977)
https://twitter.com/AlissaAzar/statu...qgC3L0WQH35s_A

Patriot Front members arrested for attempting to crash an Idaho Pride event.

Also unmasked where those attending the event could photograph them.

According to Azar, the reporter, they are being charged for "conspiracy to riot".

These jerks must have awfully fragile egos to be so threatened.

eerok 11th June 2022 05:24 PM

Just another patriot.

Disbarred Attorney Sentenced for Threatening to Kill Senate Democrats in ‘Retaliation for the Performance of Their Official Duties on Jan. 6’ (lawandcrime.com)
Quote:

A judge has sentenced a disbarred attorney who admitted he threatened to kill several Democratic members of the U.S. Senate and then tried to travel to Washington, D.C., the Department of Justice announced on Friday. U.S. District Judge Jennifer P. Wilson of the Middle District of Pennsylvania sentenced Kenelm L. Shirk, 72, to time served — that’s 16 months and 20 days in prison — for threatening to murder a United States official.
Quote:

Shirk’s wife also reportedly told authorities her husband said that if he was met with resistance from police he planned to go out via “suicide by cop.
Quote:

After stopping the vehicle, police performed a search of Shirk’s car and recovered multiple firearms, including a rifle and several handguns, as well as large amount of ammunition. Following the search, police took Shirk into custody and charged him with making terroristic threats.
Seems to me like a pretty light sentence for all that. Sounds like he also needs a mental health intervention.

slyjoe 11th June 2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerok (Post 13831021)
Just another patriot.

Disbarred Attorney Sentenced for Threatening to Kill Senate Democrats in ‘Retaliation for the Performance of Their Official Duties on Jan. 6’ (lawandcrime.com)




Seems to me like a pretty light sentence for all that. Sounds like he also needs a mental health intervention.

They never said if this was a felony. Want to bet he can still buy guns?

Stacyhs 12th June 2022 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eerok (Post 13831021)
Just another patriot.

Disbarred Attorney Sentenced for Threatening to Kill Senate Democrats in ‘Retaliation for the Performance of Their Official Duties on Jan. 6’ (lawandcrime.com)




Seems to me like a pretty light sentence for all that. Sounds like he also needs a mental health intervention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13831026)
They never said if this was a felony. Want to bet he can still buy guns?

He made a plea deal. It includes being barred from possessing a firearm or any other dangerous weapon. He could have received up to 10 years. He also threatened to kill his now ex-wife. Yeah, I'd say he needs some mental help.

Quote:

A former county attorney in Pennsylvania accused of planning to kill several Democratic members of the U.S. Senate after having an argument about the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol has reached a deal with prosecutors. Kenelm L. Shirk, a 72-year-old former Lancaster County attorney, pleaded guilty to one count of threatening to murder U.S. officials, court documents reviewed by Law&Crime show.

The plea was entered before U.S. District Judge Jennifer P. Wilson of the Middle District of Pennsylvania. Shirk is facing a maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison and up to 3 years of probation following his release.
Quote:

Police had stationed vehicles along the route from Shirk’s home to Washington, D.C. on Interstate 81 after his then-wife called authorities and reported that she and Shirk had argued about the results of the 2020 presidential election and the Jan. 6 siege, local FOX affiliate WPMT reported. She reportedly told police that after the argument, Shirk threatened to kill her and then revealed that he was planning to kill several Democratic senators in Washington, D.C.
Quote:

Per WPMT, authorities transported Shirk to the Chambersburg Hospital Emergency Room where a nurse performed a mental health evaluation.
Quote:

The evaluating nurse reportedly said that Shirk spoke in a “monotone, deadpan voice” and “sounded serious when he spoke of killing his wife and members of the government.”

slyjoe 12th June 2022 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13831150)
He made a plea deal. It includes being barred from possessing a firearm or any other dangerous weapon. He could have received up to 10 years. He also threatened to kill his now ex-wife. Yeah, I'd say he needs some mental help.

The plea deal says at sentencing the prosecution will recommend he be banned from weapons. The article didn't say whether the judge handed that down or not.

eerok 12th June 2022 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13831197)
The plea deal says at sentencing the prosecution will recommend he be banned from weapons. The article didn't say whether the judge handed that down or not.

Yeah, I wouldn't give that guy a butter knife.

Trebuchet 12th June 2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slyjoe (Post 13831197)
The plea deal says at sentencing the prosecution will recommend he be banned from weapons. The article didn't say whether the judge handed that down or not.

It's not as if he'll respect the ban if it is.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.