International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   A campus infected with hostility: A professor says he's been targeted for being a con (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334839)

Graham2001 16th February 2019 04:04 AM

A campus infected with hostility: A professor says he's been targeted for being a con

Quote:

Each time I walk into my office at Kingsborough Community College, I draw inspiration from a picture of my father, Leon Goldstein, the school’s president for 29 years and the man who built the college’s modern-day campus.

Yet in recent months, anti-Semites turned my father’s photo from a source of inspiration into a symbol of destruction. The vandalism marked the start of a systematic and pernicious campaign in which I have been targeted and harassed because of who I am and what I believe.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...qo5JMWRYPWPJdM

dann 16th February 2019 04:28 AM

What is he and what does he believe? (The article can't be accessed in Europe!)

baron 16th February 2019 04:33 AM

Convict?
Con Artist?
Condom Salesman?

I can't see the article either.

Matthew Best 16th February 2019 04:35 AM

I can't see it either, but it's almost certainly "conservative", right?

Shepherd 16th February 2019 04:43 AM

I can see it! "conservative Jew"

Information Analyst 16th February 2019 04:45 AM

I assumed it meant ex-convict.

Yet another US media site that can't be arsed with complying with GDPR, as if simply not collecting EU readers' personal data is somehow more difficult than diverting them to a "**** you" page....

casebro 16th February 2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham2001 (Post 12602959)
https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...qo5JMWRYPWPJdM

The reason for their attack? I’m Jewish, politically conservative and I believe in Zionism, the civil rights movement of the Jewish people.

The vandals defaced a photo of my father with anti-Semitic graffiti, including the words “F--k Trump Goldstein, Kill the Zionist Entity.” I later learned the incident came one day after Kingsborough Professor Katia Perea apparently told an administrator who refused her request to fire me, “I guess I will have to handle this myself."

Now to look for a pic of Katia Peria....

Dr. Perea is an Associate Professor of Sociology at CUNY (City University New York) and is currently working on her book “Girl Cartoons” due out soon!

Feminist/ Anti Jewish civil rights?

Or is this another Race Grifter Hoax?

Puppycow 16th February 2019 05:27 PM

I ask the Moderators' indulgence to quote from the OP article at length (not the entirety) due to the unusual circumstance that some forum members cannot view it.

Quote:

A campus infected with hostility: A professor says he's been targeted for being a conservative Jew
By MICHAEL GOLDSTEIN
FEB 13, 2019

I’ve worked at Kingsborough for 20 years, and within the City University of New York network for 30 years. The anti-Semitic vandalism and death threat perpetrated outside my office this past February was unlike anything I’ve experienced before.
The reason for their attack? I’m Jewish, politically conservative and I believe in Zionism, the civil rights movement of the Jewish people.
The vandals defaced a photo of my father with anti-Semitic graffiti, including the words “**** Trump Goldstein, Kill the Zionist Entity.” I later learned the incident came one day after Kingsborough Professor Katia Perea apparently told an administrator who refused her request to fire me, “I guess I will have to handle this myself."
Perea, whom I have never met or spoken to, is a member of the Progressive Faculty Caucus, a radical faculty group at Kingsborough.
Quote:

This was my jarring introduction to the PFC and its unending campaign of harassment and belittlement. It was also my introduction to the inertia of the Kingsborough and CUNY administrations. Kingsborough declined to classify February’s anti-Semitic vandalism as a hate crime and denied my requests for added security.
This was just the beginning.
In May, more than 1,000 flyers were distributed around campus calling for my firing and attributing vile, false allegations of racism, sexism and anti-Muslim sentiments to me.
I’ve never promoted any of my private or religious opinions in the classroom — or anywhere else on campus. Nor have I held any of the hateful views the flyers attached to me. In her earlier attempt to get me fired, Perea went from office to office showing staff my private Facebook photos as her “evidence” that I’m racist and sexist. The PFC’s efforts then escalated into what the flyers described as an imperative to “build a movement” against me.
And that’s exactly what it has been — an orchestrated, aggressive movement to destroy me. May’s flyers included a picture of my 13-year-old daughter. I’ve chaired a food committee at Kingsborough for eight years, and suddenly, a PFC member new to the committee began investigating my activity.
Quote:

The PFC shows no signs of abating until I’m removed from Kingsborough, my second home for 20 years. They freely admit to their targeted harassment of me, and they are proud of it. For that reason, with the help of The Lawfare Project, I filed a complaint with the EEOC and the NY State Division of Human Rights.
Those last two links if you follow them are pretty eyebrow-raising. (Link 1) (Link 2)

The Anti-Goldstein faculty bloc claims that they are "fighting for a communist ‘paradise’ on earth"

Quote:

PLP fights for a communist ‘paradise’ on earth
The fightbacks of this past semester have presented serious struggles in gaining confidence in the working class. Many students and cafeteria workers, like masses of workers around the world, are depressed, cynical, and hopeless. Many are won over to different forms of individualism and escapism.
Some believe in Islam’s promise of a paradise after death. There are open communist atheists (and a pro-communist Christian) side-by-side with them in struggle who also break fasts and break bread together during this month of Ramadan. Together, they provide a glimpse that a communist “paradise on earth” is worth fighting for. Unlike a religious paradise, there will be many problems and struggles under communism, all to be solved in the interest of and by the world’s working class.

pharphis 16th February 2019 07:03 PM

Can one archive.is the articles that can't be opened in some countries? Worth a shot

TragicMonkey 16th February 2019 07:19 PM

The opposition POV is worth reading. At one point they boast that it took twelve of them "less than a week" to write a leaflet. With such efficiency at creating powerful weapons I'm certain they'll have their communist paradise established in much less than a hundred thousand years.

Which may be long enough for someone to explain to them why college students aren't working class.

Bob001 16th February 2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12603642)
Which may be long enough for someone to explain to them why college students aren't working class.

Not necessarily so. When a kid is the first generation in his family to attend college, particularly a community college, he very likely is working class. Not all colleges are in the Ivy League, and not all kids get fat allowances from rich parents.

Lambchops 16th February 2019 11:46 PM

Lol, I thought this would be about Jordan Peterson. Because he is most definitely a con. As in "con man".

dann 17th February 2019 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppycow (Post 12603562)
Quote:

I’m Jewish, politically conservative and I believe in Zionism, the civil rights movement of the Jewish people.

"Civil rights movement"??!

Quote:

Zionism (Hebrew: צִיּוֹנוּת‬ Tsiyyonut [t͡sijo̞ˈnut] after Zion) is the national movement of the Jewish people that supports the re-establishment of a Jewish homeland in the territory defined as the historic Land of Israel (roughly corresponding to Canaan, the Holy Land, or the region of Palestine).
Zionism (Wikipedia)

Darat 17th February 2019 02:28 AM

Surely many of the protestors' actions are illegal?

smartcooky 17th February 2019 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 12603807)

Yep.

Using a 13 year old girl's image in protest pamphlets without the permission of her parents will run you into all sorts of legal difficulties under child protection laws. I don't know what those laws are like in the USA, but I can tell you that if I did that in this country, I would be up in front of the judge in very short order, where I would certainly cop a very large fine, and maybe jail time.

Goldstein might already have legal recourse against Dr. Peria and her cohorts right there.

Civet 17th February 2019 04:07 AM

Quote:

That one act of vandalism described is unambiguously illegal. The articles I'm seeing don't seem to actually reproduce or extensively quote the leaflet that was distributed, so I don't think we can know if anything in there was illegal or not. There's certainly nothing generally unlawful about calling on a university prof to be fired for expressing political beliefs that some folks find offensive.

TragicMonkey 17th February 2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12603739)
Not necessarily so. When a kid is the first generation in his family to attend college, particularly a community college, he very likely is working class. Not all colleges are in the Ivy League, and not all kids get fat allowances from rich parents.

He may have been from working class origins, but attending college moves him up to the middle class. At least while he's there. He may fail to get a middle class job and fall back to working class afterward.

sphenisc 17th February 2019 10:52 AM

17 posts in and no references to "two minutes hate". What is wrong with you people?

qayak 17th February 2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambchops (Post 12603768)
Lol, I thought this would be about Jordan Peterson. Because he is most definitely a con. As in "con man".

For someone you claim is a con, SJWs sure have trouble showing any evidence of it. It is especially satisfying to watch videos of them trying and Peterson just destroying their childish logic.

theprestige 17th February 2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphenisc (Post 12604090)
17 posts in and no references to "two minutes hate". What is wrong with you people?

Consider it referenced. It was obvious enough. figured someone would be along sooner or later to tick the box. And I was right.

Information Analyst 17th February 2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppycow (Post 12603562)
I ask the Moderators' indulgence to quote from the OP article at length (not the entirety) due to the unusual circumstance that some forum members cannot view it.

Quote:

I’m Jewish, politically conservative and I believe in Zionism, the civil rights movement of the Jewish people.

Err... that's not what Zionism is.

Quote:

Quote:

I later learned the incident came one day after Kingsborough Professor Katia Perea apparently told an administrator who refused her request to fire me, “I guess I will have to handle this myself."

I know US employment laws are crap, but even this sounds like a bizarre demand.

Information Analyst 17th February 2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Well, in the rest of the English-speaking world outside of the USA, maybe....

crescent 17th February 2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Information Analyst (Post 12604131)

I know US employment laws are crap, but even this sounds like a bizarre demand.

On one side you've got a guy who can't separate criticism of Israel from anti-antisemitism. On the other side, you've got people who seem to yearn for the days of the USSR, who also seem to think that Islam is inherently compatible with communism.

It seems like a group of argumentative ideologues managed to get in an argument with a lone argumentative ideologue.

That said, Goldstein does not seem to have done anything to target the members of the PFC; those that are students seem to students in good standing. Goldstein wants protection from them but there is not anything to indicate that he has sought to expel any of them.

Bob001 17th February 2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12603937)
He may have been from working class origins, but attending college moves him up to the middle class. At least while he's there. He may fail to get a middle class job and fall back to working class afterward.

If you think social class is that malleable, you don't know what it means. Getting a college degree might move someone into the middle class -- maybe -- but not just taking some courses.

Puppycow 17th February 2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12603788)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Information Analyst (Post 12604131)

I wouldn't call it that, but I'm not surprised that a hardcore Zionist would see it that way. I bet white nationalists also think of white nationalism as a civil rights movement for white people. I agree that it's silly, but fervent believers in these ideologies probably think that way. It makes it easier to be righteously indignant in the face of criticism.

On the other side though, you have people who say they want "a communist paradise on earth". I trust that I don't have to explain how insane that is. Communism is an Orwellian dystopia. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, the Kim dynasty all show what communism really is in practice.

Graham2001 18th February 2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 12603824)
Yep.

Using a 13 year old girl's image in protest pamphlets without the permission of her parents will run you into all sorts of legal difficulties under child protection laws. I don't know what those laws are like in the USA, but I can tell you that if I did that in this country, I would be up in front of the judge in very short order, where I would certainly cop a very large fine, and maybe jail time.

Goldstein might already have legal recourse against Dr. Peria and her cohorts right there.

Well you have to remember that most SJWs seem to believe in collective racial guilt, so that 13 year old girl is as guilty of her ancestors crimes as any other People of Non-Color (Jewish Race).

ahhell 18th February 2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 12603788)

Yep, that one caught my attention too. If what he says is true in the rest of the article, I don't like any of the actors in this play. If what he says is half accurate, the The PLF or whatever they call themselves are worse though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12603937)

What? I'm guessing you don't know what a community college is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12604355)
If you think social class is that malleable, you don't know what it means. Getting a college degree might move someone into the middle class -- maybe -- but not just taking some courses.

This.

TragicMonkey 18th February 2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahhell (Post 12604844)
What? I'm guessing you don't know what a community college is.

Definitions of class are to some degree subjective. I consider working class to be those who work in a factory, mine, or farm all day. Not those who have time and money to attend college, even community ones, although I don't think the college in question is a community college. From that perspective I consider attending college, even community college, as movement into the middle class.

Eta: oh, I see it is a community college. For some reason I thought this was a SUNY campus. My mistake.

dann 18th February 2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahhell (Post 12604844)
The PLF or whatever they call themselves

Maybe ... or ...

catsmate 18th February 2019 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qayak (Post 12604094)
For someone you claim is a con, SJWs sure have trouble showing any evidence of it. It is especially satisfying to watch videos of them trying and Peterson just destroying their childish logic.

I have yet to see evidence of Paterson "destroying" any argument.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham2001 (Post 12604793)
Well you have to remember that most SJWs seem to believe in collective racial guilt, so that 13 year old girl is as guilty of her ancestors crimes as any other People of Non-Color (Jewish Race).

:rolleyes:

PhantomWolf 18th February 2019 03:07 PM

This is why I have a strong hatred of all "-isms". No Ideology has all the answers, and seldom does the truth lies at any of the extreme positions that "-isms" want to take.

The only true working society is one that is a mixture of ideals, that looks at a problem and solves with the best solution, not the one that their particular brand of "-ism" demands.

And this means that you need people from all walks of life, even those that you vehemently disagree with most of the time, because on occasion, their ideas will be the ones that fit a particular problem, and if you have brow beaten and chased them away, then you no longer have that resource when you need it later.

luchog 18th February 2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12604881)
Definitions of class are to some degree subjective. I consider working class to be those who work in a factory, mine, or farm all day. Not those who have time and money to attend college, even community ones, although I don't think the college in question is a community college. From that perspective I consider attending college, even community college, as movement into the middle class.

Attending a community college via a financial aid program, while not being able to afford both food and rent in the same month, is not "movement into the middle class". There are a lot of working class people who attend college thanks to government financial aid programs, who would not otherwise have been able to afford it.

Skeptic Ginger 18th February 2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphenisc (Post 12604090)

I'm still trying to process Katia Peria. I thought the name was a joke.

The Norseman 18th February 2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppycow (Post 12604371)
On the other side though, you have people who say they want "a communist paradise on earth". I trust that I don't have to explain how insane that is. Communism is an Orwellian dystopia. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, the Kim dynasty all show what communism really is in practice.

No, those show what dictatorships are like in practice. It's confusing to many, apparently, but sometimes what groups say are different that what they do.

TragicMonkey 18th February 2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luchog (Post 12605421)
Attending a community college via a financial aid program, while not being able to afford both food and rent in the same month, is not "movement into the middle class". There are a lot of working class people who attend college thanks to government financial aid programs, who would not otherwise have been able to afford it.

I never said the middle class was automatically better off than the working class. Going to college (and yes, that includes attending on financial aid) is something specifically designed to move one into the middle class (or better) or keep you there if already in it.

The working class people who go to college are not doing it to stay in the working class.

Bob001 18th February 2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey (Post 12604881)
Definitions of class are to some degree subjective. I consider working class to be those who work in a factory, mine, or farm all day.

Class has as much to do with formal education and outlook as with money. The average journeyman plumber or electrician makes much more than the local high school English teacher who's still paying off his grad school loans, but the former would generally be considered working class and the teacher (struggling) middle class. On the other hand, if the plumber or electrician sent their kids to good schools where they did well, the kids would be middle class. Someone who grew up with college-educated professional parents will generally be considered middle-class, even if his current employment is unskilled labor. I would say social class is more a result of childhood and upbringing than your current bank balance. Again, a college degree might be a ticket into the middle class, at least historically; but someone who grew up in poverty and is able to sign up for a few classes doesn't suddenly jump up the social ladder.

TragicMonkey 18th February 2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 12605460)
Class has as much to do with formal education

I agree, that's why I say that attending college is a move towards the middle class.

Puppycow 18th February 2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Norseman (Post 12605433)
No, those show what dictatorships are like in practice. It's confusing to many, apparently, but sometimes what groups say are different that what they do.

Can you name a single example of communism not leading to a dictatorship?

Puppycow 18th February 2019 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf (Post 12605406)
This is why I have a strong hatred of all "-isms". No Ideology has all the answers, and seldom does the truth lies at any of the extreme positions that "-isms" want to take.

The only true working society is one that is a mixture of ideals, that looks at a problem and solves with the best solution, not the one that their particular brand of "-ism" demands.

And this means that you need people from all walks of life, even those that you vehemently disagree with most of the time, because on occasion, their ideas will be the ones that fit a particular problem, and if you have brow beaten and chased them away, then you no longer have that resource when you need it later.

Skepticism is an "ism" though.

smartcooky 18th February 2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 12605432)
I'm still trying to process Katia Peria. I thought the name was a joke.

You mean as in stitches?