International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MAGA brats mock Native American with "build the wall" chants (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334324)

Bogative 21st January 2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron (Post 12571508)
From my own perspective all these groups should be allowed to say anything they like. If this thread was simply somebody posting the video I wouldn't even bother to reply. A bunch of idiots, some worse than others, who cares? What I object to is this searing hypocrisy from the left who suddenly become selectively deaf to blatant hate speech when it suits, and prefer to vilify a bunch of kids because Trump.

This. The racist, bigoted, homophobic caricature of teenagers wearing MAGA hats the left has constructed in their heads was on full display at the Lincoln Memorial. The only problem is it wasn't the white kids displaying that caricature, it was the black guys who were. Now that it is proven that someone other than white Donald Trump supporters were behaving in this manner, it's time to tone down the rhetoric and reconsider jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

angrysoba 21st January 2019 09:51 AM

Anyway, the good news is we have all learnt something from this:

1) not to jump to conclusions without seeing the context in which the outrage de jour occurred in

2)
Edited by kmortis:  Removed reference to previously moderated content

3) spend more time outside than bitching on the internet: seriously! If there is one thing those native Americans, black Israelites and white MaGA kids had in common it was that they were enjoying some good old fashioned face-to-face banter which is so refreshing in a world where the average political engagement is to make virtual death threats, engage in doxxing, call people rapists and racists and peados online without any real world consequences. I would almost go as far as to say it was a touching display of multicultural bonding.

plague311 21st January 2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogative (Post 12571542)
This. The racist, bigoted, homophobic caricature of teenagers wearing MAGA hats the left has constructed in their heads was on full display at the Lincoln Memorial. The only problem is it wasn't the white kids displaying that caricature, it was the black guys who were. Now that it is proven that someone other than white Donald Trump supporters were behaving in this manner, it's time to tone down the rhetoric and reconsider jumping to conclusions without all the facts.

This might blow your mind, but actually BOTH were. The chop, the mocking dance, etc.

I haven't seen one person on this forum defend the black ********. I haven't seen a single one. Did Phillips? It certainly looks like it, but he isn't representative of "the left". I'm part of "the left" and I don't react at all like TBD has said my people and I react. Hell, this whole thread has been him accusing "the left" of wanting to kill these kids, he attributes every statement from every dumb **** that identifies as left wing to every single one of us. It's actually retarded by the literal definition. It slows\bogs down the conversation.

Now, yes, the left wing media, and the bulk of others should have gone for full coverage rather than sound bites. I see people here on both sides acknowledging that.

Chris_Halkides 21st January 2019 10:14 AM

"Dueling Narratives"

"Sandmann, in the statement later tweeted by CNNís Jake Tapper, said he and his peers were responding to the Hebrew Israelite protesters.

ď'Because we were being loudly attacked and taunted in public, a student in our group asked one of our teacher chaperones for permission to begin our school spirit chants to counter the hateful things that were being shouted at our group,' Sandmann said." Daily Beast.

The Big Dog 21st January 2019 10:26 AM

I see very much is being made of Phillips claim that he was a Vietnam Vet, who served in the Marines.

The last combat Marines left Viet Nam in 1971, which would have made our hero 17 years old at the time.

Claims to have been something called a "Marine Recon Ranger"??

Is that even a thing?

plague311 21st January 2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12571601)
I see very much is being made of Phillips claim that he was a Vietnam Vet, who served in the Marines.

By whom?

Quote:

The last combat Marines left Viet Nam in 1971, which would have made our hero 17 years old at the time.

Hmmmmm.

So what does that mean? He couldn't have possibly served in Viet Nam? Is that your claim?

I don't care either way, it's just tough to pin down what you're actually saying because your posting style is to be as vague as possible to avoid making any actual claim. I.e. this post.

The Big Dog 21st January 2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 12571618)
By whom?

So what does that mean? He couldn't have possibly served in Viet Nam? Is that your claim?

I don't care either way, it's just tough to pin down what you're actually saying because your posting style is to be as vague as possible to avoid making any actual claim. I.e. this post.

I am not making a claim, others including the OP and Phillips are making the claim.

He said he was a marine combat infantryman in VietNam, and I am skeptical given the fact he was no more than 17 years old when the last combat marines left Viet Nam. In fact, if he joined the Marines on his birthday, his training would have to have been significantly curtailed for him to have made it to Viet Nam before the last combat troops were removed.

Sure it could have happened, I'd like to see if it really did.

plague311 21st January 2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12571621)
I am not making a claim, others including the OP and Phillips are making the claim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog

You did make a claim. You said that "very much is being made of..." etc. I'm asking where you are seeing that claim, as it's not in this thread.

Quote:

He said he was a marine combat infantryman in VietNam, and I am skeptical given the fact he was no more than 17 years old when the last combat marines left Viet Nam. In fact, if he joined the Marines on his birthday, his training would have to have been significantly curtailed for him to have made it to Viet Nam before the last combat troops were removed.

PBS is saying that they didn't leave until 1973 or, for some, even later:

Quote:

The last American combat soldiers leave South Vietnam, though military advisors and Marines, who are protecting U.S. installations, remain. For the United States, the war is officially over. Of the more than 3 million Americans who have served in the war, almost 58,000 are dead, and over 1,000 are missing in action. Some 150,000 Americans were seriously wounded.
Which source did you use? Could be a conflict between the two

Quote:

I'm sure it'll come out in the wash.

crescent 21st January 2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Is that even a thing?

Marine Recon is a thing:
United_States_Marine_Corps_Reconnaissance_Battalio ns

Some of those Marines go through the Army Ranger school

I think the definition of what is or is not a Vietnam Veteran includes people who served clear through the Fall of Saigon. Marines were the last U.S. military people out of Vietnam in 1975.

The Big Dog 21st January 2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis (Post 12570207)

Two days ago there was a rally for forced birth degenerates in Washington DC. That same day some Native Americans decided to have a vigil with songs near the Vietnam Memorial (which is also near the Lincoln Memorial) ...Thankfully the man, Nathan Philips of the Omaha Tribe (and a Vietnam veteran) chose not to engage with evil that day and just continued his song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 12571633)
You did make a claim. You said that "very much is being made of..." etc. I'm asking where you are seeing that claim, as it's not in this thread.

It is in the thread, as I already said, and there are hundreds of other sources

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status...24484278095872

Do you have evidence that he served in Viet Nam like he claimed? Yes or No

Cavemonster 21st January 2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

For starters, I haven't yet seen a claim in his words that Phillips was specifically a combat infantryman, but I'm not much of a military person so I may have missed the phrasing. Could you supply a quote?

Looking a bit at the timeline, it appears parts of the marines were involved there through 1975 in roles other than direct combat, like evacuating refugees.

In fact, here are two marines who were killed in Vietnam in 1975:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char...d_Darwin_Judge

varwoche 21st January 2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 12571633)

Yeah, just another way of saying "people are saying".

For those members who are condemning "the left", it would be help if you identified precisely who, and precisely what they wrote/said to earn your condemnation. Not counting Philips, who clearly is full of it.

The Big Dog 21st January 2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crescent (Post 12571639)
Marine Recon is a thing:
United_States_Marine_Corps_Reconnaissance_Battalio ns

Some of those Marines go through the Army Ranger school

I think the definition of what is or is not a Vietnam Veteran includes people who served clear through the Fall of Saigon. Marines were the last U.S. military people out of Vietnam in 1975.

The last marine combat infantryman brigade left in 1971, you saying he was part of the guard force at the embassy?

17 year old "recon ranger" combat Marine?

JoeMorgue 21st January 2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12571647)
For those members who are condemning "the left", it would be help if you identified precisely who, and precisely what they wrote/said to earn your condemnation. Not counting Philips, who clearly is full of it.

What's the point of arbitrarily declaring everyone part of one of only two sides if I can't use it to get angry quicker to feed my outrage addiction?

alfaniner 21st January 2019 11:28 AM

My lasting impression is that the media has really screwed up badly in the last couple days, running stories (scoops) without proper context or fact-checking. First the Buzzfeed story on Friday, now this one.

Mike! 21st January 2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12571659)
My lasting impression is that the media has really screwed up badly in the last couple days, running stories (scoops) without proper context or fact-checking. First the Buzzfeed story on Friday, now this one.

Report first, ask questions later. :rolleyes:

plague311 21st January 2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12571659)

All of the articles I read about it hilited the person that broke the story and his issues in the past. I don't see that as a screw up really. It was news worthy that the claim was being made. As long as they identify it as possible ******** then I'm all good with it.

baron 21st January 2019 11:36 AM

I'm no expert on the military but I was skeptical from the beginning about Phillips being a Marine in Vietnam. Maybe he was, I don't know enough to say, but seeing as he is happy to lie about his actions in a video three days ago, I can't see why we should believe him. Maybe he did go for six months as a radio operator or something. I can't imagine he made a great contribution and returned to the US all before his 17th birthday.

If he were a 'prominent' right-winger making this claim we would already have our answer. The media would have delved right in there, from the Huffington Post to the UK Guardian, and any discrepancy would be plastered all over the headlines. Somehow, though, I doubt his claims will ever be formally probed.

baron 21st January 2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12571654)
What's the point of arbitrarily declaring everyone part of one of only two sides if I can't use it to get angry quicker to feed my outrage addiction?

Why do you keep posting the same thing, attacking posters for discussing the topic? I seem to remember a thread not so long ago where you got pretty outraged and, over the course of two full weeks, made what must be approaching 100 posts on the topic of a man asked to leave a yogurt shop.

plague311 21st January 2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12571642)
It is in the thread, as I already said, and there are hundreds of other sources

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status...24484278095872

Do you have evidence that he served in Viet Nam like he claimed? Yes or No

You said people are making a big deal out of it. Mentioning it is not, to me, "making a big deal out of it". It's mentioning it. Just like it mentions, and other have also mentioned, that the small group of ******** are black. I don't see that as making a big deal out of it, just a fact that is being stated.

I'm also not claiming he's a Vietnam vet. I don't care. It doesn't excuse his behavior, no matter what service he performed for the US. I don't quite have the chub for people who serve in the military that others do. It's a choice. Respectable, but we all play our role.

Belz... 21st January 2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron (Post 12571668)
Why do you keep posting the same thing, attacking posters for discussing the topic?

He's clearly attacking posters for being so damned partisan, not discussing the topic.

plague311 21st January 2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12571672)
He's clearly attacking posters for being so damned partisan, not discussing the topic.

It's thread drift. The partisan ways events are spun is easily related to this topic.

baron 21st January 2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12571672)

But that is the topic. The issue is not a bunch of people behaving badly, it's the insane and hypocritical reaction to a bunch of people behaving badly, a reaction which comes almost entirely from the left. How can that be in dispute?

Belz... 21st January 2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron (Post 12571675)
But that is the topic. The issue is not a bunch of people behaving badly, it's the insane and hypocritical reaction to a bunch of people behaving badly,
a reaction which comes almost entirely from the left. How can that be in dispute?

That isn't the point. The point is that posters in this thread, from both sides, have predictably segregated themselves into "sides", and I can understand Joe's mounting frustration with this sort of stuff.

JoeMorgue 21st January 2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Why do you keep posting the same thing, attacking posters for discussing the topic?

I feel your definition of "topic" and my definition of "topic" aren't the same thing.

Here's a hint "Grrr Stupid libtards" (shakes fist) and "Grr Orange man bad!" (Shakes fist back) aren't the topic.

Since I don't see any active threads on this board entitled "A place for the dozen or so outrage addicts to go to use any excuse to shake your first at the other side to end and with no purpose" I'll stick my understanding of what is and isn't on topic, thanks a bunch.

applecorped 21st January 2019 11:45 AM

Outrage faux pas

Whip 21st January 2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Is that even a thing?

all I've heard/seen is 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' which I found odd wording.

varwoche 21st January 2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron (Post 12571675)
But that is the topic. The issue is not a bunch of people behaving badly, it's the insane and hypocritical reaction to a bunch of people behaving badly, a reaction which comes almost entirely from the left. How can that be in dispute?

Hey help a guy out who's disinclined to take broad brush statements posted on the internet at face value...

Who precisely on the left has been hypocritical, and what precisely did they say?

baron 21st January 2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12571684)
Hey help a guy out who's disinclined to take broad brush statements posted on the internet at face value...

Who precisely on the left has been hypocritical, and what precisely did they say?

You are asking me to cut and paste news articles from several dozen publications vilifying the school kids, ignoring the hate-mongering preachers and praising the trouble-making Native American?

Or are you artificially restricting the response to posts in this thread. In which case, you'll find I've answered this very question not so long ago.

Whip 21st January 2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12571647)
Yeah, just another way of saying "people are saying".

https://www.wsls.com/news/national/n...rial-encounter

Quote:

The Hebrew Israelites begin by disparaging the students
Quote:

"Then you got those pompous bastards over there wearing Make America Great Again hats," one voice says. "Why you not angry at them?"
Quote:

"Y'all taking about peace, peace, peace -- there ain't gonna be no peace," the lead speaker shouts.
Quote:

"When has America been great for our people? When has the America ever been great for the North American Indians?" the main speaker shouts. "America ain't never been great. It only been great for you damn peckerwoods."
Quote:

As the crowd of students grows, some of the men criticize their "racist" MAGA hats. They call them "crackers" and "incest children." The video captures some students walking away.
Quote:

Then, the Hebrew Israelites return their focus to the students
Quote:

The men accuse them of reaping the benefits of slave labor. The men repeatedly use the n-word to refer to the black teens in the group, prompting cries from group. The men ask the students if the water they're drinking "tastes like incest" and call the students "young Klansmen."
as has been noted, there is 2 hours of video with all this documented. to even question this is laughable at this point.

baron 21st January 2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12571677)
That isn't the point. The point is that posters in this thread, from both sides, have predictably segregated themselves into "sides", and I can understand Joe's mounting frustration with this sort of stuff.

Pots and kettles. I personally haven't come at it from any political side. I've gone by what I see in the video, and pointed out that the persons best behaved in the footage have been vilified the most, and vice-versa.

varwoche 21st January 2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron (Post 12571686)
You are asking me to cut and paste news articles from several dozen publications vilifying the school kids, ignoring the hate-mongering preachers and praising the trouble-making Native American?

Yes, though several dozen isn't necessary. Make sure you pick outlets that can safely be identified as "the left".

I think we can all agree that the media is guilty of sensationalism. Let's not confuse garden variety sensationalism with race card politics, to the extent possible.

Quote:

Or are you artificially restricting the response to posts in this thread. In which case, you'll find I've answered this very question not so long ago.
Quite the opposite. Citations to a few random, anonymous people on the internet wouldn't be very persuasive. If "the left" is guilty as accused, I'd expect to see some prominent names.

Meadmaker 21st January 2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip (Post 12571682)
all I've heard/seen is 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' which I found odd wording.

For many benefits and general status issues, any member of the military who served during wartime is considered a veteran of that war. E.g George W Bush is considered a "Vietnam veteran" even though he was never in Vietnam. I got a scholarship for children of Korean War veterans, even though my dad never left Fort Leonard Wood. Sometimes, the term Vietnam war era veteran is used in order to emphasize that all in service during the war are considered veterans, regardless of where they actually spent their time.

Drewbot 21st January 2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Dog (Post 12571648)
The last marine combat infantryman brigade left in 1971, you saying he was part of the guard force at the embassy?

17 year old "recon ranger" combat Marine?

Military History Pedant here.

Marine advisors were still in-country, and were integral to stopping the NVA Easter Offensive.

He could have been part of the 31st MAU when they evacuated the embassy.
or, the 9th MAB which executed the recovery of American and Vietnamese civilians.

Then of course combat-wise, he could have been part of the rescue of the crew of the USS Mayaguez.

varwoche 21st January 2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip (Post 12571687)
https://www.wsls.com/news/national/n...rial-encounter

as has been noted, there is 2 hours of video with all this documented. to even question this is laughable at this point.

To even question what? I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

Whip 21st January 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meadmaker (Post 12571697)
For many benefits and general status issues, any member of the military who served during wartime is considered a veteran of that war. E.g George W Bush is considered a "Vietnam veteran" even though he was never in Vietnam. I got a scholarship for children of Korean War veterans, even though my dad never left Fort Leonard Wood. Sometimes, the term Vietnam war era veteran is used in order to emphasize that all in service during the war are considered veterans, regardless of where they actually spent their time.

I can understand what you posted but 'Vietnam veteran' and 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' are not the same. I was alive during Vietnam so I could be 'a veteran of the Vietnam era' with 'veteran' applying to age rather than serving.

Whip 21st January 2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12571701)
To even question what? I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

I'm pretty sure the black Hebrew Israelites are not some right wing trump supporters.

The Big Dog 21st January 2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewbot (Post 12571699)
Military History Pedant here.

Marine advisors were still in-country, and were integral to stopping the NVA Easter Offensive.

He could have been part of the 31st MAU when they evacuated the embassy.
or, the 9th MAB which executed the recovery of American and Vietnamese civilians.

Then of course combat-wise, he could have been part of the rescue of the crew of the USS Mayaguez.

Not sure any of those fit his story of being a recon ranger combat infantryman. However, he could have been, certainly. Was he?

Stacko 21st January 2019 12:16 PM

Someone found the school's YouTube page and either someone played the long con well or the school might have some deep running culture issues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanAchi...22734475366400

varwoche 21st January 2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip (Post 12571706)
I'm pretty sure the black Hebrew Israelites are not some right wing trump supporters.

(1) I don't question that they are hateful lunatics who put on an ugly show. Pay better attention please.
(2) Are you saying they're lefties? As best I can tell, they seem to be equal opportunity haters. Mind you, I never heard of them until this incident.
(3) Even if they are lefties, using a handful of frothing extremists to tar "the left" is silly.

baron 21st January 2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varwoche (Post 12571693)
Yes, though several dozen isn't necessary. Make sure you pick outlets that can safely be identified as "the left".

You mean like the Guardian? I didn't even have to use Google, I knew very well what I'd find; an article vilifying the kids based on proven lies, detailing other groups and individuals who had also vilified them, and not a single mention of the racist, homophobic, violence-promoting hate preachers.

Would you like another one or are you readying yourself to admit you're wrong?

sir drinks-a-lot 21st January 2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacko (Post 12571710)
Someone found the school's YouTube page and either someone played the long con well or the school might have some deep running culture issues.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanAchi...22734475366400

Sorry, that page doesnít exist!
Why not try a search to find something else?

JoeMorgue 21st January 2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot (Post 12571717)
Sorry, that page doesnít exist!

That must of literally been within the last 5 minutes. The link came up for me right after it was first posted, but I hadn't had a chance to give it more than a quick glance so I can't speak to how accurate/meaningful it was. (It was literally a screenshot of blurry still from a Youtube video so not exactly super-clear.)

Imhotep 21st January 2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot (Post 12571717)
Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!

Got the same thing, but was able to view it 5 minutes ago. Hmmm...

edit: Ninja'd

Stacko 21st January 2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imhotep (Post 12571721)
Got the same thing, but was able to view it 5 minutes ago. Hmmm...

edit: Ninja'd

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcusHWe...70294467751937

New link.

Elagabalus 21st January 2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Why do you keep posting the same thing, attacking posters for discussing the topic? I seem to remember a thread not so long ago where you got pretty outraged and, over the course of two full weeks, made what must be approaching 100 posts on the topic of a man asked to leave a yogurt shop.

I think it's this particular poster's way of shaking a fist at the computer and yelling "this is a stupid thread".

I, myself, am guilty of this as well. In the movie threads I find myself yelling at the screen "Are you guys still talking about this? It's a stupid ******* Star Trek movie! Get over it!"

Darat 21st January 2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike! (Post 12571661)
Report first, ask questions later. :rolleyes:

Click bait first, then report, and then.... Oh look new click bait.

alfaniner 21st January 2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Is that even a thing?
"I wanna be a Recon Ranger
I wanna live a life of danger"

Standard Marine Corps running cadence.

The Big Dog 21st January 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaniner (Post 12571726)
"I wanna be a Recon Ranger
I wanna live a life of danger"

Standard Marine Corps running cadence.

Yeah, I saw that, probably where he got it from, which would be more evidence that he was totally full of ****

varwoche 21st January 2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baron (Post 12571712)
You mean like the Guardian? I didn't even have to use Google, I knew very well what I'd find; an article vilifying the kids based on proven lies, detailing other groups and individuals who had also vilified them, and not a single mention of the racist, homophobic, violence-promoting hate preachers.

Would you like another one or are you readying yourself to admit you're wrong?

Seeing as I haven't made a claim, why would I ready myself to admit I'm wrong? You're jumping to hasty, (apparently) tribal conclusions.

Moreover, I don't know that the Guardian is a left wing publication.

Moreover, the school's reaction -- which this article leads with -- lends credence to the biased narrative.

Moreover, while "several dozen" is too many, one is way too few.