International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Economics, Business and Finance (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Bitcoin - Part 3 (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336407)

Dr.Sid 13th May 2019 07:48 AM

Bitcoin - Part 3
 
Back to $7500. Somebody is pumping it hard.

Mod InfoContinued from here
Posted By:kmortis

Belz... 13th May 2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid (Post 12693975)
Back to $7500. Somebody is pumping it hard.

What a stable, reliable currency!

psionl0 13th May 2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid (Post 12693975)
Back to $7500. Somebody is pumping it hard.

How do you know that it isn't just FOMO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12693980)
What a stable, reliable currency!

When did this become news to you?

Belz... 13th May 2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694116)
When did this become news to you?

2011.

psionl0 13th May 2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694118)
2011.

So why post as if it is news to you today?

Belz... 13th May 2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694122)
So why post as if it is news to you today?

I didn't.

See, it is possible to make a comment about something you already knew before making the comment. For example, I can repeat that you are reflexively and irrationally defensive about Bitcoin, even though I've known this for a while.

Don't know why this was confusing you. But again, you seem to absolutely need to respond to every negative comment about Bitcoin.

psionl0 13th May 2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694135)
I didn't.

You did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694135)
I can repeat that you are reflexively and irrationally defensive about Bitcoin, even though I've known this for a while.

You don't have to be a bitcoin lover to point out the BS in this thread. Everybody is full of it. Your false dichotomy is a classic example.

Nobody knows a thing about bitcoin or what the future holds for it but that doesn't stop the magical woo coming through in every post.

Belz... 13th May 2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694142)
You did.

Again, I did not. Saying "Wow, Stalin was really an *******, wasn't he?" in response to some trivial revelation about him doesn't mean that you didn't know that before. It's an exaggeration for effect. But that's not even what I did. It's just reiterating what I said before.

You know that, of course. But you just needed to reply, because attacking Bitcoin = bad!

Quote:

You don't have to be a bitcoin lover to point out the BS in this thread. Everybody is full of it.
And yet what I said is true. Somehow you thought you needed to defend BTC nonetheless.

Quote:

Nobody knows a thing about bitcoin
I know a thing about bitcoin: it's not a stable, reliable currency.

JoeMorgue 13th May 2019 10:22 AM

Listen when in the history of the world has economic dependency on the buying and selling of something that doesn't actually exist ever gone bad?

psionl0 13th May 2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12694151)
Listen when in the history of the world has economic dependency on the buying and selling of something that doesn't actually exist ever gone bad?

Money doesn't exist. It is just numbers written on bits of paper, stamped on bits of metal, written in ledgers or stored in computers.

You might argue that that money is based on the "faith and good credit" of the government but that is all it is - faith. Similarly, faith is the only thing that keeps bitcoin going on the way it is.

Never before has an asset existed purely in cyber space so we have no history to base a prediction on.

Dr.Sid 13th May 2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694116)
How do you know that it isn't just FOMO?

It is. But even that can be driven. Why now ? Why not half a year ago ?

Belz... 13th May 2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694161)
Money doesn't exist. It is just numbers written on bits of paper, stamped on bits of metal, written in ledgers or stored in computers.

When you say it like that, it sounds like it does, in fact, you know, exist.

psionl0 13th May 2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid (Post 12694165)
It is. But even that can be driven. Why now ? Why not half a year ago ?

I have no idea and neither does anybody else. That didn't stop you claiming that "somebody is pumping it hard" as though this was an indisputable fact.

For all we know, this current price spike may just be another flash in the pan that leads nowhere.

psionl0 13th May 2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694172)
When you say it like that, it sounds like it does, in fact, you know, exist.

Does bitcoin exist?

Belz... 13th May 2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694176)
I have no idea and neither does anybody else.

"Well ok, but the official government story is a conspiracy theory, too!"

JoeMorgue 13th May 2019 10:50 AM

That's my point.

Bitcoin is fiat currency without the fiat.

psionl0 13th May 2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12694181)
That's my point.

Bitcoin is fiat currency without the fiat.

:yikes: You can't mention the C-word in relation to bitcoin in this thread! You'll be tarred and feathered!

Belz... 13th May 2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694187)
:yikes: You can't mention the C-word in relation to bitcoin in this thread! You'll be tarred and feathered!

"Quick! I have to say something witty to prop up Bitcoin!"

psionl0 13th May 2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694179)
"Well ok, but the official government story is a conspiracy theory, too!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694189)
"Quick! I have to say something witty to prop up Bitcoin!"

WTF?????

Belz... 13th May 2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694192)
WTF?????

Oh, sorry. The first one accuses you of projection, and the second just reiterates what I said earlier about your inability to let a negative comment about BTC pass.

JoeMorgue 13th May 2019 11:07 AM

Okay... I'm not up on my "I'm a billionare but only on a spreadsheet" fandom, so how is Bitcoin not a currency?

lomiller 13th May 2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694122)
So why post as if it is news to you today?

It doesn’t need to be new to be relevant.

psionl0 13th May 2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694196)
Oh, sorry. The first one accuses you of projection is just irrelevant nonsense, and the second just reiterates what I said earlier about your inability to let a negative comment BS about BTC pass.

ftfy.

psionl0 13th May 2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 12694201)
Okay... I'm not up on my "I'm a billionare but only on a spreadsheet" fandom, so how is Bitcoin not a currency?

There have been many bitter arguments about this aspect in these threads.

The main arguments put by the more rational posters here is that bitcoin is not a debt instrument and it has not been issued by any governing authority. Whether this line of reasoning is valid or not is unimportant to me. I'm quite happy to leave it at "digital asset".

JoeMorgue 13th May 2019 12:27 PM

Why do I get a feeling that was BitCoin is is going to keep changing as it fails at doing certain things.

It's been heralded as this revolutionary new form of currency but it's only fans treat it was a get rich quick investment scheme, while the only functional use it seems to have is as a Paypal analogue for when you want to order child porn and hitmen on the Dark Web.

Give it a few years and it be a mobile game.

ChrisBFRPKY 13th May 2019 02:24 PM

BTC is not a get rich quick scheme. It takes at least 6 months.

Chris B.

Belz... 13th May 2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694273)
ftfy.

Wow, a convincing argument.

You claimed that no one knows. I'm suggesting, based on experience, that you're doing so because YOU don't know, and that you don't want to consider that perhaps other people know more than you do.

As for the latter, were it true that it's just BS you respond to, you wouldn't have made this comment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694116)
When did this become news to you?

That wasn't about BS. It was in response to a perfectly reasonable, if sarcastic, comment. Face it, you just can't let a comment about BTC pass, BS or otherwise, so long as it's negative. You're a BTC groupie.

Dr.Sid 13th May 2019 03:50 PM

8000 now. It peaked at 8150. It's similar to mid November 2017. Will we have 20k next month again ? I made 44% in 10 days. Symbolic amount, of course. I'm a gamer, not lunatic. But at the moment, the game is surely fun.

The_Animus 13th May 2019 04:30 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the current rise is at least partly related to the escalation of tariffs in the US/China trade war and the resulting dip in the stock market.

psionl0 13th May 2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694384)
You claimed that no one knows. I'm suggesting, based on experience, that you're doing so because YOU don't know, and that you don't want to consider that perhaps other people know more than you do.

So which poster has that magic power to predict future bitcoin prices and has the inside scoop on what is driving the latest price changes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12694384)
That wasn't about BS. It was in response to a perfectly reasonable, if sarcastic, comment repeated ad-nauseum for years.

ftfy.

Henri McPhee 14th May 2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid (Post 12694486)
8000 now. It peaked at 8150. It's similar to mid November 2017. Will we have 20k next month again ? I made 44% in 10 days. Symbolic amount, of course. I'm a gamer, not lunatic. But at the moment, the game is surely fun.

That's just speculation in currency. It's like winning on the gee-gees. It's lunatic currency arrangements and nobody has the brains to do anything about it.

Belz... 14th May 2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12694672)
So which poster has that magic power to predict future bitcoin prices and has the inside scoop on what is driving the latest price changes?

Wow, that's essentially rocketing the goal posts to the moon.

Quote:

ftfy.
Ah, so in fact you knew that it wasn't new for me. You were just either trolling or, as I noted, entirely incapable of not responding to a negative comment about BTC.

You really should stop digging.

psionl0 14th May 2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12695298)
You were just either trolling or, as I noted, entirely incapable of not responding to a negative comment about BTC.

And why is it so important to you that I don't point out flaws in the comments against bitcoin? Why is it that you, like many others, are so determined to turn as many people against bitcoin as you can that it becomes a mission that is tackled with a religious fervor?

I can think of only two reasons. One is that some think that any alternative to a government issued currency is immoral - even if it is not a viable alternative. Therefore, we must protect the sheeple from themselves.

The other is that this thread was originally started by a libertarian who gave the thread a ridiculous title. Ever since, there has been such a scramble by people to disassociate themselves from this person that critical thinking went out the window. Woo, ignorant articles on bitcoin and all sorts of silly arguments are all fair game as long as they turn people away from bitcoin.

Just relax. Bitcoin is not about to turn the public into libertarians or criminals.

Belz... 14th May 2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12695327)
And why is it so important to you that I don't point out flaws in the comments against bitcoin?

Nice strawman. You sure love rewording things to fit what you want to conclude, rather than address the points made head-on.

psionl0 14th May 2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12695338)
Nice strawman. You sure love rewording things to fit what you want to conclude, rather than address the points made head-on.

You are not making any points. You are merely attacking me because I am not extremely anti-bitcoin.

ChrisBFRPKY 14th May 2019 09:25 PM

I think it's fair to say that you're not required to like or dislike BTC in order to make money from it.

Chris B.

Dr.Sid 15th May 2019 03:31 AM

Or lose ..

Belz... 15th May 2019 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12695396)
You are not making any points. You are merely attacking me because I am not extremely anti-bitcoin.

You lie.

Plainly stating that BTC is not a reliable currency is a point.

You do understand that people can click and check that I've said this, right?

psionl0 15th May 2019 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belz... (Post 12696201)
You lie.

Plainly stating that BTC is not a reliable currency is a point.

You do understand that people can click and check that I've said this, right?

Even if we call it "making a point" every subsequent post has been a personal attack.

And why? Because you can't handle being reminded that you have made this "point" over and over again for years.

Belz... 15th May 2019 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psionl0 (Post 12696234)
Even if we call it "making a point" every subsequent post has been a personal attack.

Oh, sure. But I'm not wrong about it.

Quote:

And why? Because you can't handle being reminded that you have made this "point" over and over again for years.
Aw, did I hit a nerve?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-19, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.