International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Jan. 6 Investigation (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353105)

dudalb 1st September 2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13586443)
McCarthy and MTG must be running really scared of the Jan. 6 Committee investigation as they're resorting to threats:

https://www.newsweek.com/kevin-mccar...mittee-1624820

(Mediaite)
Nor did McCarthy.

As one commenter wrote:

As Politico wrote:

McCarthy and MTG: all hat, no cattle.

McCarthy has descended to the level of a Mafia Boss with this threat:

"Nice Telecom Company you have there:Too bad if something happened to it".

But he is from Bakersfield;can't really expect anything better.

Skeptic Ginger 1st September 2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13586579)
It's hard to tell if the squawking from the right about having their phone records pulled is just the normal fake outrage they drum up about everything, or if they are actually nervous about what might be found.

Either way, seems like a good target to keep driving at.

Here's MTG on Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour promising to retaliate against any phone company that complies with records requests.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1432866784432979969

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but they seem especially uneasy about this.

Who is "they" here?

I'm annoyed the news gives a platform for MTG to spout her toothless threat as if it had any basis. Hopefully somewhere in the articles they note she can't do that. But the headlines of her threat with her picture are annoying.

Carrot Flower King 1st September 2021 11:55 AM

Time is money, eh?

Not anymore: I'm retired...

Lurch 1st September 2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13586466)
My specific statement, as clearly displayed, was in response to:

And the follow-up, regarding the commodity of time was in response to:

Programs such as MK-Ultra used drugs and other targeted methods to induce altered states. Trump simply exists, and creates such realties for some people. He is, in fact, still "King", in some venues. This forum being one of them.

His ability to influence and provoke spans the political and social spectrum.

Whether it is the events of January 6th, or current Democrat and Republican policy/support, he has his hand in it. Even after being “silenced” to a large extent.

It is pretty wild.

Hitler induced much discussion while alive. I suppose then that to the whole world he was 'king'. Heck, he still engenders much discussion today, so I guess his 'kingly status has not fully waned.

Dump is 'king' in the same way Ebola would be if it were to get a good foothold.

Stacyhs 1st September 2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13586501)
But yet, here you are, talking about Trump....like much of the board.

Wow! Talking about Trump in a thread titled The Jan. 6 Investigation! Who woulda thunk it? Crazy, right?

Armitage72 1st September 2021 12:13 PM

I always liked the "Management Equation".

Knowledge is Power.
Power = Work/Time
Therefore, Knowledge = Work/Time
Time is Money
Therefore, Knowledge = Work/Money
Rearranging to solve for Money, Money = Work/Knowledge
This means that as Knowledge decreases, Money increases, independent of the amount of Work, with Money approaching infinity as Knowledge approaches zero.

ZiprHead 1st September 2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13587073)
McCarthy has descended to the level of a Mafia Boss with this threat:

"Nice Telecom Company you have there:Too bad if something happened to it".

Strange. I don't remember him complaining when Trump got the phone records of Democratic congress people and several reporters.

Galaxie 1st September 2021 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warp12 (Post 13586501)
But yet, here you are, talking about Trump....like much of the board.

If Trump and his lap dogs would shut their dumb mouths, and stop committing treasonous acts, then maybe we could move on to other topics...

Stacyhs 1st September 2021 02:16 PM

There is no federal law that the Committee or the telecommunication companies would be breaking. That's McCarthy lying. Let me see if I can conjure up some shock......

Nope.

carlitos 1st September 2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13587073)

You don't know me but you don't like me,
You say you care less how I feel
How many of you that sit and judge me
Ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

Stacyhs 1st September 2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlitos (Post 13587281)
You don't know me but you don't like me,
You say you care less how I feel
How many of you that sit and judge me
Ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

I've been to Bakersfield and I have a 'niece'* who lives there ...and not really by choice. It's a pit.

*Best friend's daughter whom I've known since birth. Long story of why she lives there but it's not where she wants to be, that's for sure.

dudalb 1st September 2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13587288)
I've been to Bakersfield and I have a 'niece'* who lives there ...and not really by choice. It's a pit.

*Best friend's daughter whom I've known since birth. Long story of why she lives there but it's not where she wants to be, that's for sure.

To parody a line from Lord Of The RIngs:

'I Jouneyed through Bakersfield once. I came out the other side, but the memory is evil".

Stacyhs 1st September 2021 03:40 PM

Man, the GOP REALLY doesn't want the investigation:

The Freedom Caucus's chairman, Rep. Andy Biggs, is trying to get McCarthy to kick out Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger (the two Republicans on the committee) from the GOP Conference.

In his letter that Biggs is circulating he wrote: Congresswoman Cheney and Congressman Kinzinger are two spies for he Democrats that we currently invite to the meetings, despite out inability to trust them."

zorro99 1st September 2021 03:44 PM

AP sources: Intel shows extremists to attend Capitol rally

WASHINGTON (AP) — Far right extremist groups like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers are planning to attend a rally later this month at the U.S. Capitol that is designed to demand “justice” for the hundreds of people who have been charged in connection with January’s insurrection, according to three people familiar with intelligence gathered by federal officials.

As a result, U.S. Capitol Police have been discussing in recent weeks whether the large perimeter fence that was erected outside the Capitol after January’s riot will need to be put back up, the people said.

The officials have been discussing security plans that involve reconstructing the fence as well as another plan that does not involve a fence, the people said. They were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The planned Sept. 18 rally at the Capitol comes as a jittery Washington has seen a series of troubling one-off incidents — including, most recently, a man who parked a pickup truck near the Library of Congress and said he had a bomb and detonator. Among the most concerning events: A series of unexploded pipe bombs placed around the U.S. Capitol ahead of the Jan. 6 insurrection remain unexplained and no suspect has been charged.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-s...58765b1281c959

zorro99 2nd September 2021 05:51 PM

Go-to Lawyer for Capitol Riot Defendants Disappears
John Pierce has been a combative advocate for those accused of participating in the Jan. 6 attack, but he’s missed court appearances for a week.

Aug. 31, 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/n...tol-riots.html

acbytesla 2nd September 2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13587092)
Hitler induced much discussion while alive. I suppose then that to the whole world he was 'king'. Heck, he still engenders much discussion today, so I guess his 'kingly status has not fully waned.

Dump is 'king' in the same way Ebola would be if it were to get a good foothold.

People forget Hitler staged a failed insurrection and coup as well. The Beer Hall Putsch. He was tried and convicted for treason in 1924. He was sentenced to five years. He served 9 months. He was Germany's leader in 1933.

SuburbanTurkey 2nd September 2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13588760)
People forget Hitler staged a failed insurrection and coup as well. The Beer Hall Putsch. He was tried and convicted for treason in 1924. He was sentenced to five years. He served 9 months. He was Germany's leader in 1933.

More specifically, his failed putsch ended with a direct, violent conflict with police that was largely unpunished.

Stacyhs 2nd September 2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acbytesla (Post 13588760)

A couple years ago, I stayed at the Munich City Hilton Hotel that was built on the site of this famous Hitler assassination attempt:

The man who missed killing Hitler by 13 minutes

But living in Berchtesgaden was a trip for a history lover like me.

Bob001 3rd September 2021 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13588864)
A couple years ago, I stayed at the Munich City Hilton Hotel that was built on the site of this famous Hitler assassination attempt:

The man who missed killing Hitler by 13 minutes

As I recall, there were quite a number of well-planned assassination attempts that failed by sheer chance. At the July 20 plot a briefcase with a bomb was set down next to Hitler; somebody moved it just before it went off.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...t-hitler-fails

Stacyhs 3rd September 2021 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13588934)
As I recall, there were quite a number of well-planned assassination attempts that failed by sheer chance. At the July 20 plot a briefcase with a bomb was set down next to Hitler; somebody moved it just before it went off.

There were many plans/attempts. The July 20th explosion was, IIRC, von Stauffenberg's 3rd attempt.

zorro99 3rd September 2021 08:42 AM

McCarthy needs to be arrested. He committed obstruction.

Stacyhs 3rd September 2021 03:19 PM

McCarthy's phone records, as expected, are among those requested to be preserved by the telecommunication companies.

Time for him to stock up on Depends.

acbytesla 3rd September 2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13588944)
There were many plans/attempts. The July 20th explosion was, IIRC, von Stauffenberg's 3rd attempt.

Yeah, they made the Tom Cruise movie Valkyrie about the bomb attempt. Can't recommend the movie though.

Galaxie 3rd September 2021 08:36 PM

I should really pull out my book on this and brush up, but IIRC there were between 20-30 credible attempts on Hitler's life...

<end minor derail>

Stacyhs 3rd September 2021 11:53 PM

This is what a moron looks like:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...317a88c2db.jpg

Jan. 6 insurrectionist 'tough guy' Doug Jensen is back in jail after he was caught breaking the terms of his bail.

Quote:

The QAnon supporter who chased Officer Eugene Goodman near the Senate chamber during the US Capitol insurrection was sent back to jail Thursday, in part because he violated the rules of his release by going online to access conspiracy theories about the 2020 election.

The unusual turn of events means Doug Jensen of Iowa is headed back to jail a mere seven weeks after he was released. He was arrested shortly after the January 6 insurrection and was kept in jail until July, when a federal judge released him to his home under strict conditions.

Those conditions included a prohibition on using the internet -- to keep Jensen away from the QAnon conspiracy, which he previously admitted to investigators was the reason he breached the Capitol. But when court officials made their first unannounced visit to check on Jensen at his home last month, they found him in his garage, using a cell phone to stream a right-wing news outlet.
According to court filings, Jensen admitted to the court officials that he also used the phone to stream a conspiracy-filled symposium held by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, a diehard supporter of former President Donald Trump who has repeatedly pushed debunked claims and haywire theories about foreign countries switching millions of votes to steal the election from Trump.

District Judge Timothy Kelly said at a court hearing Thursday that he had released Jensen in July because Jensen claimed he had "turned a corner" and disavowed the conspiracy theories.

"But it's now clear that he has not experienced the transformation that his lawyer previously described, and that he continues to seek out the conspiracy theories that led to his dangerous conduct on January 6," continued Kelly, who was appointed by Trump in 2017 to the DC District Court. "I don't see any reason to believe that he has had the wake-up call that he needs."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/02/polit...ail/index.html

BobTheCoward 4th September 2021 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13587260)
There is no federal law that the Committee or the telecommunication companies would be breaking. That's McCarthy lying. Let me see if I can conjure up some shock......

Nope.

I would generally like my telecom company to wait until a subpoena to turn over records....not do it because congress asked nicely.

Darat 4th September 2021 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 13590175)
I would generally like my telecom company to wait until a subpoena to turn over records....not do it because congress asked nicely.

Which telecom company do you own?

SuburbanTurkey 4th September 2021 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward (Post 13590175)

I tend to agree. I don't know why this committee is asking first. Just issue a subpoena from the start and save everyone involved a bit of embarrassment.

BobTheCoward 4th September 2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13590199)
Which telecom company do you own?

Many, I think. I would have to check.

Skeptic Ginger 4th September 2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey (Post 13590204)
I tend to agree. I don't know why this committee is asking first. Just issue a subpoena from the start and save everyone involved a bit of embarrassment.

The committee asked them to preserve the records. Seems reasonable to me.

dudalb 4th September 2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorro99 (Post 13587345)
AP sources: Intel shows extremists to attend Capitol rally

WASHINGTON (AP) — Far right extremist groups like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers are planning to attend a rally later this month at the U.S. Capitol that is designed to demand “justice” for the hundreds of people who have been charged in connection with January’s insurrection, according to three people familiar with intelligence gathered by federal officials.

As a result, U.S. Capitol Police have been discussing in recent weeks whether the large perimeter fence that was erected outside the Capitol after January’s riot will need to be put back up, the people said.

The officials have been discussing security plans that involve reconstructing the fence as well as another plan that does not involve a fence, the people said. They were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The planned Sept. 18 rally at the Capitol comes as a jittery Washington has seen a series of troubling one-off incidents — including, most recently, a man who parked a pickup truck near the Library of Congress and said he had a bomb and detonator. Among the most concerning events: A series of unexploded pipe bombs placed around the U.S. Capitol ahead of the Jan. 6 insurrection remain unexplained and no suspect has been charged.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-s...58765b1281c959

I suspect this time the protestors will be outnumbered by the police officers.

dudalb 4th September 2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Alos the meettng place wha changed from the usual concrete bunker at Wolf's Lair to a wooden building at the last minute. if it had been a concrete bunker, the explosing would have killed everybody in room from the trapped shock waves alone. The flimsy wooden walls allowed much of the force to go outwards.

dudalb 4th September 2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorro99 (Post 13588738)
Go-to Lawyer for Capitol Riot Defendants Disappears
John Pierce has been a combative advocate for those accused of participating in the Jan. 6 attack, but he’s missed court appearances for a week.

Aug. 31, 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/n...tol-riots.html

Pierce is claming he has COvid.

zooterkin 5th September 2021 11:28 PM

Mod WarningPlease keep to the topic of the thread.

Do not personalise the discussion, address what has been posted in this thread. If you see a breach of the MA, please report it rather than talking about it in the thread.

Thank you.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:zooterkin

Ziggurat 6th September 2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armitage72 (Post 13587114)
I always liked the "Management Equation".

Knowledge is Power.
Power = Work/Time
Therefore, Knowledge = Work/Time
Time is Money
Therefore, Knowledge = Work/Money
Rearranging to solve for Money, Money = Work/Knowledge
This means that as Knowledge decreases, Money increases, independent of the amount of Work, with Money approaching infinity as Knowledge approaches zero.

This equation is often used to imply that management makes lots of money because they don't know much.

But in point of fact, Money = Work/Knowledge makes a lot of sense in a non-humorous way when properly understood. This equation doesn't tell you how much money you make, but how much money is required to do something. The less you know, the more money it will take you to accomplish some task.

jimbob 7th September 2021 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggurat (Post 13592041)
This equation is often used to imply that management makes lots of money because they don't know much.

But in point of fact, Money = Work/Knowledge makes a lot of sense in a non-humorous way when properly understood. This equation doesn't tell you how much money you make, but how much money is required to do something. The less you know, the more money it will take you to accomplish some task.

I know you are not entirely serious but that looks like a classic example of the reification fallacy to me.

sackett 7th September 2021 10:10 AM

Perish forbid that anyone should cite Scott Adams, but

He did say that if your company makes a product that people want to buy, it might as well be run by gerbils.

sackett 7th September 2021 10:28 AM

Here's a more reputable quote from a vastly better source, specifically Dr. Johnson:

"If trade were difficult, no tradesman could carry it on."

Some might say that that was pretty blunt, coming from a man who lived years at a time with a rich tradesman, Henry Thrale, and fed at his table ("nastily," according to Mrs. Thrale), growing portly and leaving little recorded table-talk because "his attention was on his plate," as Boswell said -- or complained?

But still, can we refute Johnson? He was an acute, and honest, observer. How many brilliant bidnissmen do you know? How many have you heard of? How would you measure their genius? By the money they claim is theirs?

See my location? This was once the town of Henry Ford, and we've all heard immense whoppers about what a mighty genius he was.

plague311 7th September 2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13590459)
Pierce is claming he has COvid.

I don't think Pierce is claiming anything, which is part of the problem at the moment. I couldn't find a more recent story on it but on cnbc it says:

Quote:

Lawyer John Pierce — who is representing 17 criminal defendants in Capitol riot cases — has gone missing from court appearances amid conflicting excuses that include a claim he is hospitalized with Covid and is on a ventilator, a court filing says.
____
...telling the Assistant U.S. Attorney that he had just gotten word that Mr. Pierce had been in an accident and was on his way to the hospital...
____
‘appears to have been suffering from dehydration and exhaustion’
____
“and represented to the court that Mr. Pierce’s absence was due to a conflict,” the filing said.
Basically, no knows where he is but the guy that's now "representing" Pierce's clients a) doesn't have a law license and b) is under indictment for multiple felonies in Pennsylvania. It's a bit of a **** show.

SuburbanTurkey 7th September 2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13592765)
I don't think Pierce is claiming anything, which is part of the problem at the moment. I couldn't find a more recent story on it but on cnbc it says:

Basically, no knows where he is but the guy that's now "representing" Pierce's clients a) doesn't have a law license and b) is under indictment for multiple felonies in Pennsylvania. It's a bit of a **** show.

At this point, Pierce better have some serious medical problem or have some other good reason why he has fallen off the planet without providing the court an explanation, or he's going to have some pissed off judges after him.