International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Jan. 6 Investigation (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353105)

bruto 25th April 2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13792028)
Kind of like EmptyG claiming her words were taken out of context. It's a typical/common GOP gaslight. You didn't see/hear/read what you saw/heard/read.

It's a strange thing indeed, since in actual fact, of course it's the context that makes many of these things so much worse. The common and frequent argument of conservatives is that they didn't say exactly what is charged.

"The liberals all deserve to die, and they should be shot. Here is my picture holding an assault rifle, pasted on to a picture of the people I would like to see dead. Here is my tweet about how true patriots should gun down traitors, and my other tweet that names people as traitors."

"I never threatened anyone. I never said I wanted anyone to shoot anyone else."

People like that hate true context. But by denying that any two things they've ever said have any connection, they get to say that everything they've said is taken out of context, because according to them there is none.

smartcooky 25th April 2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13791925)
McCarthy is now lying about his lie that he never considered asking Trump to resign.
He is denying he ever asked Trump to resign which is not what any news media has ever claimed:

(Assoc. Press McCarthy downplays remarks about Trump in secret recording, 04-25-22)

The problem with this denial is that, before the tape was released of him doing so, he vehemently denied the Times report which only claimed that he had considered and discussed with some other GOP members that he was considering advising Trump to resign. If he had truly thought the reporters had asked if he had advised Trump to resign, he could have corrected the record then. He didn't. McCarthy proves once more he is a lying, Trump sycophant. I know....the shock of it.

They've had three days to come up with some spin, and this is the best they could do? Really?

He lied, and now he's lying about the lie! Quelle surprise! The padawan has learned well from his Master!

Susheel 25th April 2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 13791759)
My hunch is that internally among Republican party leadership McCarthy's statements were already known, and that he already receved his dressing down and bent the knee to Trump. I don't expect an internal scandal from this at all.

^^ This

Susheel 25th April 2022 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13792156)
They've had three days to come up with some spin, and this is the best they could do? Really?

He lied, and now he's lying about the lie! Quelle surprise! The padawan has learned well from his Master!

They are not trying to convince you...for the echo chamber this is enough.

Ladewig 26th April 2022 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susheel (Post 13790738)
Yeah...but in the right wing echo chamber they would see her performance as a heroic stand against the left, liberal, communist, jihadi, paedophile demoncrats.

The heroic part is what I donít get.

It seems so cowardly to me.

Susheel 26th April 2022 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13792327)

Haven't you heard the Ballad of Brave Sir Robin?

bruto 26th April 2022 06:53 AM

Quote:

It's definitional.

Crazy Chainsaw 26th April 2022 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcooky (Post 13792156)

It's hard to cover up for a Criminal President who is so dumb he hired a man who said the Planes that hit the world Trade Center on 9/11/2001 were Holograms and Gwb blew the buildings up with thermite. Republicans seemed to have dumbed down so low, they make Dirt look smart.

gnome 26th April 2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Anyone that says something that agitates liberals is a hero, regardless of why they did so or if they said something completely different before that.

Stacyhs 26th April 2022 06:41 PM

On

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnome (Post 13792556)
Anyone that says something that agitates liberals is a hero, regardless of why they did so or if they said something completely different before that.

One has to wonder about people who think 'triggering libs' is the height of accomplishments.

Stacyhs 26th April 2022 06:57 PM

Newly released emails from Rep Scott Perry's involvement in trying to overturn the election show he was ass deep in it. To Mark Meadows:

Quote:

“From an Intel friend: DNI needs to task NSA to immediately seize and begin looking for international comms related to Dominion,” Perry wrote to Meadows on November 12, just five days after the election was called for Joe Biden.

In the text, which has not been previously reported, Perry appears to be urging Meadows to get John Ratcliffe, then-Director of National Intelligence, to order the National Security Agency to investigate debunked claims that Dominion voting machines were hacked by China.
Quote:

Perry wrote to Meadows again on November 12 claiming that “the Brits” orchestrated a conspiracy to manipulate voting machines in the US and that then-CIA Director Gina Haspel was helping cover it up.

“And Gina is still running around on the Hill covering for the Brits who helped quarterback this entire operation,” Perry texted. “DNI needs to be tasked to audit their overseas accounts at CIA - and their National Endowment for Democracy. “

More than a month later, Perry texted Meadows a YouTube link detailing another conspiracy theory: that votes were changed by Italian satellites.

“Why can’t we just work with the Italian government?” Perry wrote. According to the text logs, Meadows does not appear to have responded to that message, emails released by the Senate Judiciary Committee last year show he did forward the same video link to then-acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen hours later.
There's much, much more showing just how involved Perry was with all the schemes to keep Trump in office in that linked article.

Ladewig 26th April 2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13792900)
Newly released emails from Rep Scott Perry's involvement in trying to overturn the election show he was ass deep in it. To Mark Meadows:

There's much, much more showing just how involved Perry was with all the schemes to keep Trump in office in that linked article.

So these folks knew there were apps like Signal which encrypts texts and does not save anything, but they decided to send a whole bunch of stuff as clear text.

I guess after 4 years of record turnover, these clowns were the best that #45 could find.

I guess they looked like the best and brightest

The Great Zaganza 26th April 2022 09:10 PM

"Is that legal?"

"I will make it legal."

sums up the attitude the GOP and Trumpers had towards taking the Presidency from Biden, by force and shenanigans.

smartcooky 27th April 2022 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13792925)
So these folks knew there were apps like Signal which encrypts texts and does not save anything, but they decided to send a whole bunch of stuff as clear text.

I guess after 4 years of record turnover, these clowns were the best that #45 could find.

"Only the best people", remember?

Stacyhs 27th April 2022 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladewig (Post 13792925)

If they believed what they were discussing was all legal and aboveboard, why would they feel the need to switch to Signal?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8f33d8789d.jpg

Susheel 27th April 2022 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13793021)
If they believed what they were discussing was all legal and aboveboard, why would they feel the need to switch to Signal?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8f33d8789d.jpg

Oh my god...is that going to be their defence?

Beelzebuddy 27th April 2022 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susheel (Post 13793103)
Oh my god...is that going to be their defence?

Their defence is they don't recall. They don't recall any text conversation or any signal followup. They don't recall.

They'll keep doing it until it stops working for them.

plague311 27th April 2022 06:34 AM

Are they able to use an encrypted messaging app? I'm not sure what the law states about records retention with regards to official communication. Was it a personal phone or a government assigned phone?

Crazy Chainsaw 27th April 2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13793177)
Are they able to use an encrypted messaging app? I'm not sure what the law states about records retention with regards to official communication. Was it a personal phone or a government assigned phone?

Government assigned Phone probably and they don't allow installation of programs off the internet.

ponderingturtle 27th April 2022 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plague311 (Post 13793177)

Bah such laws only apply to democrats anyway.

Segnosaur 27th April 2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy (Post 13793156)
Their defence is they don't recall. They don't recall any text conversation or any signal followup. They don't recall.

They'll keep doing it until it stops working for them.

I would love to see one of the questioners ask things like:

"You keep saying you don't recall... are you stupid? Have you ever been examined by a doctor to see why your memory is so faulty?"

Or maybe during the next election campaign, the Democrats can put out a bunch of ads featuring people like MTG with their "Don't Recall" statements, asking "Do you really want to vote for someone with signs of brain damage?"

Beelzebuddy 27th April 2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 13793303)
Or maybe during the next election campaign, the Democrats can put out a bunch of ads featuring people like MTG with their "Don't Recall" statements, asking "Do you really want to vote for someone with signs of brain damage?"

Won't work because we all know she knows. Contempt of court just isn't a thing that applies to Republicans anymore.

Segnosaur 27th April 2022 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy (Post 13793316)
Quote:

Won't work because we all know she knows. Contempt of court just isn't a thing that applies to Republicans anymore.

WE know she is lying. But then, people here are not your "average" voter.

I am thinking maybe a string of "don't recalls" in a slick campaign ad might have an impact on a marginal voter who isn't very politically active/knowledgable and may not know exactly what their congress critter is up to.

gnome 27th April 2022 10:06 AM

Is it generally important or in any way a setback that someone like this refuses to admit what they said? Whatever excuses they give. The point is made.

What would be better if she said "Oh yeah, I did say that."?

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Segnosaur (Post 13793324)
WE know she is lying. But then, people here are not your "average" voter.

I am thinking maybe a string of "don't recalls" in a slick campaign ad might have an impact on a marginal voter who isn't very politically active/knowledgable and may not know exactly what their congress critter is up to.

I would think even CT believing alt-righters would recognize she was lying. But they'll just say the Democrats attempt to 'persecute' her failed, or something like that.

bruto 27th April 2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13793382)
I would think even CT believing alt-righters would recognize she was lying. But they'll just say the Democrats attempt to 'persecute' her failed, or something like that.

Right, and in between ads accusing the liberals of grooming sex slaves in invisible basements and children chopping their genitals off at the altar of Darwin, they'll respond to someone pointing out that their candidate is a liar with shocked pearl clutching at the libs' loathsome negative advertising. And the usual swine will swill the usual slops with the usual gusto.

RecoveringYuppy 27th April 2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13791219)
So besides revenge, what would Cheney gain from the leak(s)?

Exposing the part of the Republican party that she is at odds with as liars.

Cheney is at odds with most of her fellow Republicans right now.

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13793659)
Exposing the part of the Republican party that she is at odds with as liars.

Cheney is at odds with most of her fellow Republicans right now.

And how would leaking the McCarthy audio add significantly to that? It wouldn't.

Staying on the high road however would be of great advantage to her.

RecoveringYuppy 27th April 2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13793773)
And how would leaking the McCarthy audio add significantly to that?

Because exposing a lie is exposing a lie. I don't know why that needs to be explained.

Skeptic Ginger 27th April 2022 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13793777)
Because exposing a lie is exposing a lie. I don't know why that needs to be explained.

That's not what needs explaining. What needs explaining is your gross oversimplification of the situation.

I think we're at the point I agree to disagree.

Stacyhs 28th April 2022 12:14 AM

Rudy Giuliani says he will appear before the J6C next month. Expect a lot of claims of Executive Privilege as Trump's lawyer and "I don't recalls".

bruto 28th April 2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13793777)

I suspect Cheney is not unaware of the character of her colleagues.

Of course I could be wrong, but in a party of liars kept in power by an electorate of suckers, the sin revealed when you expose a lie is the exposure, not the lie.

RecoveringYuppy 28th April 2022 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 13793984)
I suspect Cheney is not unaware of the character of her colleagues.

Of course I could be wrong, but in a party of liars kept in power by an electorate of suckers, the sin revealed when you expose a lie is the exposure, not the lie.

But this particular lie is one that some of those suckers will care about.

Skeptic Ginger 28th April 2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13794079)
But this particular lie is one that some of those suckers will care about.

Evidence? Besides the news media hyping the story that is.

RecoveringYuppy 28th April 2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13794116)
Evidence? Besides the news media hyping the story that is.

We're speculating about what her motive was. Unless you think she is some sort of super 4-D political chess player it doesn't matter whether the logic behind her motive is or was correct. She wouldn't have known what impact it might have at the time she decided to do it, if she did it.

Skeptic Ginger 28th April 2022 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy (Post 13794153)
We're speculating about what her motive was. Unless you think she is some sort of super 4-D political chess player it doesn't matter whether the logic behind her motive is or was correct. She wouldn't have known what impact it might have at the time she decided to do it, if she did it.

See my comment above.

IOW it just your opinion, sans any evidence.

JoeMorgue 28th April 2022 11:02 AM

There is not a lie or falsehood the exists that will make the Republicans care about anything more than they care about intentionally destroying everything to tweak the libs.

We can stop waiting for the splash of cold water or gotcha or "One easy trick" or "this will finally show their true colors" or anything else that's going to make it through the the thick collective skull of the Right.

We will NEVER give them enough rope to hang themselves. There isn't enough rope in the universe. We've got to do it ourselves.

Ladewig 29th April 2022 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue (Post 13794167)
There is not a lie or falsehood the exists that will make the Republicans care about anything more than they care about intentionally destroying everything to tweak the libs.

We can stop waiting for the splash of cold water or gotcha or "One easy trick" or "this will finally show their true colors" or anything else that's going to make it through the the thick collective skull of the Right.

EXACTLY

After four years of President Chucklehead saying “I never said that,” is a rookie representative saying “I don’t recall” really going to be the straw that breaks the camel’s back? Wait. Bad analogy. We are talking about a pig-ignorant bigot who rode to power by lying about #45 and his achievements. Is her saying “I don’t recall” really going to make anyone say,” wait a minute, neither the emperor nor 95% of his royal court has any clothes or morals”?

Stacyhs 13th May 2022 01:37 AM

The J6C subpoenas McCarthy, Jim Jordan, Mo Brooks, Scott Perry, and Andy Biggs.

How many will show up? And if they do, how many "I don't recalls" will the J6C hear? They should have a drinking game, but they'd all end up Kavanaughed.

The Great Zaganza 13th May 2022 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13805103)
The J6C subpoenas McCarthy, Jim Jordan, Mo Brooks, Scott Perry, and Andy Biggs.

How many will show up? And if they do, how many "I don't recalls" will the J6C hear? They should have a drinking game, but they'd all end up Kavanaughed.

Have the House Sergeant with the ceremonial Cattle Prod on standby.