International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Social Issues & Current Events (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Weapons, poll (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357725)

Crossbow 5th May 2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wollery (Post 13798945)
To summarize Gaetan's position as I understand it:

This is all the fault of absolutely everybody except Putin, and faced with the loss of a few thousand Russian soldiers it's perfectly reasonable and sensible for Putin to nuke just about everybody on the planet, but if anybody responds by nuking Russia they're criminal idiots.

If instead the US and its European allies all lay down their arms then Putin will recall all his soldiers from Ukraine and peace will be assured for all eternity.

Is that about the gist of it?

I would say that your assessment of the situation is quite accurate.

bruto 5th May 2022 12:41 PM

My closest approximation to making sense of it all is "My hero ***** through his mouth and eats with his ass and I want to have his baby."

Craig4 5th May 2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13798877)
If Putin sends atome bombs to kill American citizens it is stupid to send atome bombs to kill Russian citizens

And yet that is what will happen. If Putin launches a nuclear attack, the US, France and the UK will launch a massive retaliation and kill millions of Russians. No one will care you think it's stupid. No one will stop to consider your opinions. All three will use their survivable, second-strike capability and kill millions of Russians. Think it's stupid all you want; it will make no difference.

trustbutverify 5th May 2022 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote (Post 13798932)
Wow! You are really ignorant of history. Do you know what happened whenever the only people with guns showed up on the shores of - everywhere? Were the Congolese a threat to Leopold II and his Congo Free State officials?

If the rest of the world lays down their arms and sings Kumbaya, guys like Putin aren't going to come over and give them hugs and pass out little peace-sign flags - they're going to march in and say, "All this is mine now. Criticize me and you'll have an unfortunate, accidental fall from a five story window. Enjoy our cheap vodka while my cronies and I personally steal hundreds of billions from your economies".

Wish I had said this before you did. Perfect.

trustbutverify 5th May 2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wollery (Post 13798945)
To summarize Gaetan's position as I understand it:

This is all the fault of absolutely everybody except Putin, and faced with the loss of a few thousand Russian soldiers it's perfectly reasonable and sensible for Putin to nuke just about everybody on the planet, but if anybody responds by nuking Russia they're criminal idiots.

If instead the US and its European allies all lay down their arms then Putin will recall all his soldiers from Ukraine and peace will be assured for all eternity.

Is that about the gist of it?

On the money.

bruto 5th May 2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trustbutverify (Post 13799280)
Wish I had said this before you did. Perfect.

Funny thing, I also immediately thought of the Belgian Congo, and I think I even began a response, but couldn't seem to put it right. Foster Zygote said it better anyway.

arthwollipot 5th May 2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wollery (Post 13798945)
To summarize Gaetan's position as I understand it:

This is all the fault of absolutely everybody except Putin, and faced with the loss of a few thousand Russian soldiers it's perfectly reasonable and sensible for Putin to nuke just about everybody on the planet, but if anybody responds by nuking Russia they're criminal idiots.

If instead the US and its European allies all lay down their arms then Putin will recall all his soldiers from Ukraine and peace will be assured for all eternity.

Is that about the gist of it?

Like I said, pure Russian propaganda.

Gaetan 5th May 2022 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wollery (Post 13798945)
If instead the US and its European allies all lay down their arms then Putin will recall all his soldiers from Ukraine and peace will be assured for all eternity.

It will

bruto 5th May 2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799350)
It will

No it won't.

Gaetan 5th May 2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 13799367)
No it won't.

If we abolish money and weapons they won't need people like you watching people on internet, we'll be in a free world.

Foster Zygote 5th May 2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruto (Post 13799367)
No it won't.

But if the Southern Cheyenne women and children camped at Sand Creek had just layed down their arms, then Chivington's soldiers wouldn't have had to slaughter a couple hundred of them.

Oh wait, they weren't armed.

arthwollipot 5th May 2022 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799371)
If we abolish money and weapons they won't need people like you watching people on internet, we'll be in a free world.

Great idea. You first.

Foster Zygote 5th May 2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799371)
If we abolish money and weapons they won't need people like you watching people on internet, we'll be in a free world.

And if we all start crapping rainbows and free energy, the world would be a much better place.

Seriously, no one here thinks nuclear weapons aren't one of the top two or three stupidest things humanity has ever created. It would be great if everyone agreed to get rid of them. It would be wonderful if people stopped being stupid and greedy and gave up war, and stopped letting people suffer while others hoard resources. But don't expect anyone to be as impressed with yourself as you obviously are simply because you say, "the solution is for everyone to be nice to each other", and then dust off your hands as you smuggly act like you just solved all the world's problems.

Foster Zygote 5th May 2022 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthwollipot (Post 13799381)
Great idea. You first.

I kinda get the impression that he may not be entirely self-sufficient, economically speaking.

Gaetan 5th May 2022 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote (Post 13799385)
And if we all start crapping rainbows and free energy, the world would be a much better place.

Seriously, no one here thinks nuclear weapons aren't one of the top two or three stupidest things humanity has ever created. It would be great if everyone agreed to get rid of them. It would be wonderful if people stopped being stupid and greedy and gave up war, and stopped letting people suffer while others hoard resources. But don't expect anyone to be as impressed with yourself as you obviously are simply because you say, "the solution is for everyone to be nice to each other", and then dust off your hands as you smuggly act like you just solved all the world's problems.

The solution to human problems is simple, get rid of guns and money

arthwollipot 5th May 2022 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799402)
The solution to human problems is simple, get rid of guns and money

Simple! Great. Go for it.

Craig4 5th May 2022 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799402)
The solution to human problems is simple, get rid of guns and money

Get Vlady to do it first.

bruto 5th May 2022 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799402)
The solution to human problems is simple, get rid of guns and money

No. The solution is not simple. The name of the solution is simple. That's like saying the solution to the problems of the universe is simple because you know the word "physics."

You'll never get beyond the simple naming of the problem if you obstinately refuse to accept reality. If you believe Putin is a good guy and if you believe a bunch of random posters on a dwindling internet forum are secret agents of the enemies of truth, you would do everyone and yourself a favor by giving up now, because that pig will never fly.

wollery 6th May 2022 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799371)
If we abolish money and weapons they won't need people like you watching people on internet, we'll be in a free world.


Have you ever actually met any human beings?

I merely ask, because you seem to have absolutely no idea what they are like, or how they act in reality.

Crossbow 6th May 2022 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799402)
The solution to human problems is simple, get rid of guns and money

If this is the case,

then do us all a favor and get rid of all of your guns and all of your money.

Jack by the hedge 6th May 2022 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799371)
If we abolish money and weapons they won't need people like you watching people on internet, we'll be in a free world.

There was a time before money and weapons. Do you imagine it was a world free from violence? Why didn't this utopia survive? Why would it survive if you could magically get it back again?

Dave Rogers 6th May 2022 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge (Post 13799591)
There was a time before money and weapons.

Well, there was a time before money. As far as I'm aware, the time before weapons was also a time before humans.

Dave

Jack by the hedge 6th May 2022 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers (Post 13799611)
Well, there was a time before money. As far as I'm aware, the time before weapons was also a time before humans.

Dave

Well, I infer that Gaetan has a definition of weapons which is much more restricted than every implement which could potentially be used to harm someone.

He wants rid of weapons but he also still wants us to keep making all the useful stuff we currently have. Swords bad, ploughshares good.

Sideroxylon 6th May 2022 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799371)
If we abolish money and weapons they won't need people like you watching people on internet, we'll be in a free world.

How do we make this happen? Pray real hard to Jesus?

Foster Zygote 6th May 2022 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13799402)
The solution to human problems is simple, get rid of guns and money

No, it's simple to say. Thinking that it must be as simple to do as it is to say is... Simple? No, let's go with "special"?

And I'm not granting that you're even right. Money is literally just a measure of value. Even in the most primitive societies, things have value. You can't just sit on your arse and eat what others have produced through their labor. You have to contribute the value of your own labor in order to share in what the group produces.

Unless you want to go back to the way we lived about 50,000 years ago when pretty much everyone died young, there's no way to implement your "simple" plan.

Crossbow 6th May 2022 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge (Post 13799614)
Well, I infer that Gaetan has a definition of weapons which is much more restricted than every implement which could potentially be used to harm someone.

He wants rid of weapons but he also still wants us to keep making all the useful stuff we currently have. Swords bad, ploughshares good.

Just to help clarify, 'Gaetan' has said a couple of times now that when says "weapons" he is only referring to "guns".

However, for some reason 'Gaetan' does not consider any non-firearm to be weapon.

Which of course, is really odd way of looking at reality, considering the vast amounts of weapons that were developed and used long before firearms came around.

Gaetan 6th May 2022 07:54 PM

Criminals who sell weapons make a lot of profit from this war, the solution is to abolish money and weapons.

Gaetan 6th May 2022 08:08 PM

People say if you want me to get rid of my weapons, do it first, so let's make a treaty under the UN

Craig4 7th May 2022 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13800139)
People say if you want me to get rid of my weapons, do it first, so let's make a treaty under the UN

As long as there are people like Putin in the world, not only will we keep our weapons, we will keep a large number of them pointed at people like him.

Foster Zygote 7th May 2022 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13800134)
Criminals who sell weapons make a lot of profit from this war, the solution is to abolish money and weapons.

And how do you propose to do that? Since you're abolishing weapons, rather than convincing all of humanity to willingly abandon them, then you'll need some sort of global, ultra-powerful authority to forcibly take their weapons. And since everyone unwilling to give up their firearms is going to be loaded for bear, said authority will have to be pretty well armed itself. And then, seeing as humans will be the same aggressive apes they've always been, they'll just go back to slaughtering each other with swords and pikes. Then after you abolish those, clubs and rocks and pointed sticks.

Again, your proposal is childishly simple-minded. You trot it out like everyone's supposed to thank you for finally solving all of humanity's problems, and stick it on the refrigerator with a banana magnet. "Gee! Why didn't anyone think of that before? Just get rid of weapons and no one will ever hurt anyone again!" While we're at it, I'd like to add a request for a pony and a blowjob.

JoeMorgue 7th May 2022 07:34 AM

Gaetan's online persona could not be clearer in that he doesn't have anything resembling an actual plan as to how to implement any of this. He's been saying "Just Do X" for years and multiple threads.

8enotto 7th May 2022 12:39 PM

Well, if no guns is good, I gave mine up years ago mainly because people wanting to borrow them to solve problems. But, I sold them. Someone else has them all.

Also good to know I can keep my garden tools. I have enough to arm a mob to storm the Frankenstein mansion. To clean up the yard of course....

Craig4 7th May 2022 02:36 PM

https://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-tro...093527718.html

This is why Ukraine needs to keep their weapons. Because without their weapons they can't kill Russians. To stay free, Ukraine has to kill Russians and keep killing Russians. The needs to kill every Russian on their soil they find. There is nothing better in Ukraine than a dead Russian soldier. All the Russians have to do is leave and the Ukrainians will stop killing them.

I know you think it's stupid. I also know that no one who matters cares what you think. The Ukrainians will keep killing Russians with weapons my and other countries provide them until all the Russians on their soil leave or die. Ukraine won't get rid of their weapons and there's nothing you can do about it. The democracies are going to keep giving weapons to Ukraine until all the Russians are gone or dead. After seeing what the Russians did in the areas they were driven from, I prefer them dead.

Gaetan 8th May 2022 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 13800539)
This is why Ukraine needs to keep their weapons. Because without their weapons they can't kill Russians. To stay free, Ukraine has to kill Russians and keep killing Russians.

The reason why the Russian went in Ukraine is because they were a threat for them, people were free to do what they want, to live in peace but their government were corrupted by the cia and NATO leaders to be a threat for Russians, that's the true story. The Russian wouldn't bother a citizen of Ukraine to live in peace and wonderfully, their soldiers are trained for years by the US and the canadian government to do war to russians, that's the truth your media won't say.

Craig4 8th May 2022 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13800846)
The reason why the Russian went in Ukraine is because they were a threat for them, people were free to do what they want, to live in peace but their government were corrupted by the cia and NATO leaders to be a threat for Russians, that's the true story. The Russian wouldn't bother a citizen of Ukraine to live in peace and wonderfully, their soldiers are trained for years by the US and the canadian government to do war to russians, that's the truth your media won't say.

We trained the Ukrainians to kill Russians after the Russians invaded and unlawfully occupied Ukrainian territory. We'd have never provided them so much support if the Russians hadn't stolen Crimea and occupied the Donbas.All the Russians have to do is go home and no one would bother them. Now, Sweden and Finland are joining NATO.Putin invaded to stop NATO expansion and now, NATO is expanding.

Gaetan 8th May 2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig4 (Post 13800848)
We trained the Ukrainians to kill Russians after the Russians invaded and unlawfully occupied Ukrainian territory. We'd have never provided them so much support if the Russians hadn't stolen Crimea and occupied the Donbas.All the Russians have to do is go home and no one would bother them. Now, Sweden and Finland are joining NATO.Putin invaded to stop NATO expansion and now, NATO is expanding.

Crimea and the Donbas are a majority of Russian who live there, they don't want to be part of Ukraine they want to be part of the Russian country because they were persecuted by the government of Ukraine.

Craig4 8th May 2022 07:01 AM

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ukrain...r-snake-island

Great news Gaetan, Ukraine just got rid of one of their weapons. The weapon was an air to surface missile. In a show of good faith, the Russians got rid of some of their weapons right after. The Russians got rid of a surface to air missile system and a landing craft. I assume the soldiers on the landing craft got rid of their rifles and other weapons too...when they died.

It's not as impressive as when Ukraine got rid of their anti ship missile and the Russians got rid of an entire cruiser but it's still great progress.

Craig4 8th May 2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13800853)
Crimea and the Donbas are a majority of Russian who live there, they don't want to be part of Ukraine they want to be part of the Russian country because they were persecuted by the government of Ukraine.

Was there ever a time in your life you could be trusted to tell the truth about anything?

The Man 8th May 2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13800846)
The reason why the Russian went in Ukraine is because they were a threat for them, people were free to do what they want, to live in peace but their government were corrupted by the cia and NATO leaders to be a threat for Russians, that's the true story. The Russian wouldn't bother a citizen of Ukraine to live in peace and wonderfully, their soldiers are trained for years by the US and the canadian government to do war to russians, that's the truth your media won't say.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaetan (Post 13800853)
Crimea and the Donbas are a majority of Russian who live there, they don't want to be part of Ukraine they want to be part of the Russian country because they were persecuted by the government of Ukraine.

So which is it, they invaded Ukrainian territory, after promising sovereignty, because they were a threat or because some people just didn't want to be Ukrainians?

Was not and is not Russia a threat to Ukraine and other nations? Should they invade Russia to deal with that threat? Are not some Russians "persecuted by the government of" Russia? Should they not be protected?

Whatever spin you want to try to put on things to mitigate the absolute responsibility of Russia for this, spins just fine the other way 'round, 'Putin' it right square back in their laps.

Craig4 8th May 2022 04:13 PM

It's hard to miss the fact that not having weapons didn't help the people in Bucha, the ones with their hands tied behind their backs and then shot in the back of the head. Those people tried it your way Gaetan. They didn't have weapons. Look what it got them. The 60 people sheltering in the school yesterday didn't have weapons either. Why didn't the Russians leave those people alone? You said the Russians would if the Ukrainians gave up their weapons.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.