International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Computers and the Internet (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   iPhone 5 (https://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243801)

This is The End 12th September 2012 12:50 AM

iPhone 5

Well, there should be a bunch of new in a few hours. Including the release date:

http://technology.gather.com/viewArt...81474981626018

Quote:

The long-awaited iPhone 5 release date announcement will soon be over since the Apple iPhone 5 event is just hours away. The event is
scheduled for tomorrow, September 12th, at 1PM EST, and Appleites are
excited to find out what the tech giant has planned. Will the 6th generation
smartphone feature many of the rumored changes? Is Apple going to début a new line of iPods alongside the new iPhone, including a new iPod Touch?

Besides new features and specs, fans are eager to find out how much the new Apple iPhone pre-order will cost and if the device will launch on September 21st as has been predicted. Obviously the handset will have iOS 6
The prices are almost guaranteed to mirror that of the iPhone 4 at launch. In other words, there will be a $199, a $299, and a $399 version. (With contracts of course...)

Also, that link above should be updated with news as it happens at 1PM EST.

Thankfully they are ditching the "no number" "just call it new" stunt that they pulled with the iPad "don't call it 3":

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...rumours-721534

Quote:

Apple has finally gotten round to sending journalists an invite to the launch of its new handset, with the iPhone 5 release date officially pegged for September 12. The shadow on the invite shows a 5, which almost definitely means Apple is to call its latest handset the iPhone 5 - so, no more 'new' then.
Tons of iPhone 5 information at that 2nd link.

------------

Just to start the trashtalking off, I would note that we all have been seeing for weeks (unless you completely avoid the news) dozens of articles about how the iPhone 5 will be a "catch up" phone.

Almost every new feature it will have is already on the Samsung phones (and other Android phones).

(Apple needs to hurry up and get those features out there so they can sue Samsung for copying them. :D)

Anyway, this new article sums up many of those features we have been hearing about:

iPhone 5: 10 Rumored Features You'll Already Find in Competing Devices

Vermonter 12th September 2012 01:03 AM

I'll buy one, but only because my three-year-old iPhone 3GS is starting to show signs of age. I figure it's time for an upgrade.

This is The End 12th September 2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermonter (Post 8611610)
I'll buy one, but only because my three-year-old iPhone 3GS is starting to show signs of age. I figure it's time for an upgrade.

That is a good point. It is my understanding that there are tons of 3GS users that skipped 4 and 4S completely.

Either they had 3GS since launch way back when (09?), or else they got it more recently in the 4/4S era because it was dirt cheap.

Almost all of them have been waiting for this day.

So add to that the die-hards that update ASAP every time there is a new version.... We are going to be looking at huge iPhone 5 sales numbers.

They need it.

Android/Samsung have been absolutely gobbling up the smart phone market share:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8530534)
Android has nearly 70% of the smartphone market, half of which are Samsung phones. Apple has like 15% smartphone market share. So, AFAIK, Samsung already has more than twice the smartphone market share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8530541)

Anyway I wanted to check my numbers <snip>

Here's an article from 3 days ago. I was very nearly spot on:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/tech...-market-share/

Quote:

Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times the 17% market share held by Apple, according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC.

More specifically, IDC pegged Android's gain "directly" to Samsung, which represented 44% of all Android phones shipped during the quarter. That's more than the next seven Android vendors combined, IDC said. Samsung's Galaxy S III debuted late in the quarter to favorable reviews.

Apple is seriously hoping this (3GS users like Vermonter) is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, why they have been losing market share.

WildCat 12th September 2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

You'll need to buy all new accessories too, becausa Apple changed the docking port on the 5.

Break out that wallet!

kevsta 12th September 2012 05:30 AM

the law of big numbers is kicking in for Apple now, they've come so far up that breathing is getting harder and they are fighting a technically superior enemy (The Gorg)

losing ground on O/S, input costs driving margin compression, and have never disappointed properly on earnings yet...

AAPL the big short, some day..

BenBurch 12th September 2012 05:34 AM

"Beleaguered Apple" - A meme I have been hearing for two decades now.

kevsta 12th September 2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenBurch (Post 8611986)
"Beleaguered Apple" - A meme I have been hearing for two decades now.

:D

AppleBugs are much funnier than goldbugs IMO, and I know quite a few of both.

kajata 12th September 2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCat (Post 8611916)
You'll need to buy all new accessories too, becausa Apple changed the docking port on the 5.

Break out that wallet!

After five years they're changing the connector to make it a third of the size and make precious room, when every square millimeter counts, on the inside. It's a good thing. And you could always buy an adapter (rumored on MacRumors to be 10 bucks).

One thing I'm disappointed with is that the screen is only taller and not wider as well. I don't know if this was done for old app compatibility or what but I loved the proportions of the 4" screen on my Droid X (though I hated the phone).

TheL8Elvis 12th September 2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8611639)
That is a good point. It is my understanding that there are tons of 3GS users that skipped 4 and 4S completely.

Either they had 3GS since launch way back when (09?), or else they got it more recently in the 4/4S era because it was dirt cheap.

So add to that the die-hards that update ASAP every time there is a new version.... We are going to be looking at huge iPhone 5 sales numbers.

They need it.

You are kidding, right ?

TheL8Elvis 12th September 2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8611590)
Thankfully they are ditching the "no number" "just call it new" stunt that they pulled with the iPad "don't call it 3":

Stunt ? How many other apple products are numbered ?

imac ? ibook ? macbook ? powerbook ? mac mini ? ipod ? air ? no,no,no,no,no...

iPad and iPhone are the outliers.

Wudang 12th September 2012 08:04 AM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09..._five_reasons/

" Owning it will mark you out as an easily-led simpleton - and worse, the purchase will undermine western democracy." Classic calm balanced stuff from el Reg.

Soapy Sam 12th September 2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Spend your money as you wish- but if a 3 year old product is showing signs of age serious enough to need replaced, should you not possibly consider a different manufacturer?

And if the "signs" are not serious enough to warrant replacement, then why would you do so?

Darat 12th September 2012 11:13 AM

I was hoping for something astonishing, or really innovative and this doesn't deliver that. For me it's like the S3, nice phone but just a tech refresh dressed up.

TheL8Elvis 12th September 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam (Post 8612532)
Spend your money as you wish- but if a 3 year old product is showing signs of age serious enough to need replaced, should you not possibly consider a different manufacturer?

And if the "signs" are not serious enough to warrant replacement, then why would you do so?

Showing signs of age != need replaced

Mobile technology has changed and improved drastically over last 3 years.

Quinn 12th September 2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam (Post 8612532)

I took "signs of age" to mean "lacking in features that are now commonplace." That's how I feel about my 3GS, and why I'll be replacing it with a 5.

TheL8Elvis 12th September 2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn (Post 8613166)
I took "signs of age" to mean "lacking in features that are now commonplace." That's how I feel about my 3GS, and why I'll be replacing it with a 5.

I will be upgrading 2 iphone 4's.

Why ? Because in the US, phone carriers suck. I don't get a discount on my carrier for having an out-of-contract device, or a device I own personally. There is no good reason *not* to take advantage of the subsidy provided by the carriers

kajata 12th September 2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 8613117)
I was hoping for something astonishing, or really innovative and this doesn't deliver that. For me it's like the S3, nice phone but just a tech refresh dressed up.

I've read some interesting columns on tech blogs recently saying that maybe we've entered the period of incremental changes instead of astonishing leaps forward from one gen to the next.

and ETA: The three things you probably would notice the most have gotten pretty big bumps...faster chip, bigger screen, 4G

The Dark Lord 12th September 2012 12:26 PM

LTE, meh, Samsung and others have been selling LTE phones for over a year. 4 inch screen? Meh, Samsung and others have been selling phones with 4 inch or larger displays for over two years.

kajata 12th September 2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Lord (Post 8613299)
LTE, meh, Samsung and others have been selling LTE phones for over a year. 4 inch screen? Meh, Samsung and others have been selling phones with 4 inch or larger displays for over two years.

So what could they have added that would have wowed you?

and don't say "Jelly Bean"!

CynicalSkeptic 12th September 2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajata (Post 8613234)
I've read some interesting columns on tech blogs recently saying that maybe we've entered the period of incremental changes instead of astonishing leaps forward from one gen to the next.

I'd argue we've been there since before the first iPhone came out.

Blackberrys Palms and Windows CE smart phones could perform all the functions the iPhone did and more (MMS & Video were not built in to the first iPhone). They just didn't do it as nicely. The appearance of the iPhone was the huge leap. Eliminating the keyboard and stylus, introducing gestures instead of taps, multitouch... I wouldn't call and of those individually astonishing leaps. I guess all combined in one device did make it a fairly big leap, but the core functionality (phone calls, text messages, email, web surfing and listening to music) were all things people could do on existing smart phones and even many (what we now call) feature phones. And as each new version of the iPhone comes out has there really been any huge technology leap? Siri doesn't count; it was avaialable as a download prior to the 4S release (though they disabled the old version after the 4S was released).

TheL8Elvis 12th September 2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Lord (Post 8613299)

So, it sounds like the proper conclusion is that every LTE and 4" phone that has come out in the last 2 years (after the first one) has been 'meh' ? It was only exciting the for the first ever LTE/4" screen phone ?

kajata 12th September 2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic (Post 8613330)
I'd argue we've been there since before the first iPhone came out.

The appearance of the iPhone was the huge leap. Eliminating the keyboard and stylus, introducing gestures instead of taps, multitouch... I wouldn't call and of those individually astonishing leaps.

I'd disagree with that. The whole industry shifted to that after Apple introduced it. And that wasn't just the appearance. It was the usability.

CynicalSkeptic 12th September 2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajata (Post 8613371)
I'd disagree with that. The whole industry shifted to that after Apple introduced it. And that wasn't just the appearance. It was the usability.

You left out some key parts of my post.
Quote:

They [existing smart phones] just didn't do it as nicely.
all combined in one device did make it a fairly big leap
I agree with you. Overall usability made a jump. And yes other manufacturers saw that and followed.

kajata 12th September 2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic (Post 8613389)
You left out some key parts of my post.

I agree with you. Overall usability made a jump. And yes other manufacturers saw that and followed.

Except BlackBerry (I know you didn't imply they did, just throwing it out there). I don't know what the hell they were waiting for! :D And now, they're toast.

uruk 12th September 2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 8613117)

I agree. I was hoping for something that would make my eyes shoot out of thier sockets with incredulity. It's really just another upgrade.

BenBurch 12th September 2012 02:15 PM

All machines go through a period of great engineering diversity at their inceptions, and then fall into a form that persists often as long as devices of that sort are made.

Steam engines were very, very diverse at the beginning, but quickly all followed the same pattern of design laid down by "Rocket" and with very few exceptions remained in that pattern until the end of steam.

So too the pocket computer.

We call them "phones" but they stopped being mere phones.

I believe that they have found their stable form, and that form looks just like an iPhone.

I do not expect many revolutions in this space, just improvements.

WildCat 12th September 2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajata (Post 8612006)
After five years they're changing the connector to make it a third of the size and make precious room, when every square millimeter counts, on the inside. It's a good thing. And you could always buy an adapter (rumored on MacRumors to be 10 bucks).

It turns out the adapter is $30 or $40, depending on the type you want.

Don't look for a cheaper non-Apple version either, not allowed.

WildCat 12th September 2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajata (Post 8613234)
and ETA: The three things you probably would notice the most have gotten pretty big bumps...faster chip, bigger screen, 4G

But still no swappable battery or memory card slot. Inexcusable.

TheL8Elvis 12th September 2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCat (Post 8613839)

Meh.

When someone complains about 'swappable batteries' an I ask them about their own phone/laptop and how many extra batteries they carry, the answer has always been zero.

I understand that is anecdotal evidence, but there it is anyway.

Besides, external batteries/battery powered chargers can be had that serve the same purpose, so I don't even see how that is a valid issue.

If you must carry all your data on external memory cards, I guess you are SOL if you want an iphone. I don't see how this affects the average iphone user, but I would love to hear about all the use cases average users have for carrying their data on memory cards with no other way to access it ...

CynicalSkeptic 12th September 2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajata (Post 8613416)
Except BlackBerry (I know you didn't imply they did, just throwing it out there). I don't know what the hell they were waiting for! :D And now, they're toast.

I thought they did somewhat. Yeah, many models still have keyboards on the front, but they at least offer some models with full screen and a slide-away keyboard like the early Android phones and the few current ones that still have a physical keyboard.

Ginarley 12th September 2012 03:20 PM

I was wow'd by the first iphones but they have lost the wow factor in the last couple of releases and especially this one compared with the competition. Just for one example the Nokia 920 generates wows with interesting looks, a touch screen you can use with ski gloves, and wireless charging. That doesn't necessarily mean it is a good phone or that the iphone 5 is a bad phone but my reaction to recent apple announcements has been "meh", not something I am used to associating with them even if I have never been a fanboy.

CynicalSkeptic 12th September 2012 03:24 PM

I don't carry an extra battery for my G1, but when my old one would no longer hold a charge, it sure was nice to be able to replace it myself.

I thought this was an eye opener:
http://mashable.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-compared/

Wowbagger 12th September 2012 03:25 PM

I think it would be better if it ran Android, instead of their older, self-built, proprietary operating system.

Aidoneus 12th September 2012 03:33 PM

I'm not blown away by the new iPhone, but I'll probably still get one anyway, simply due to there being no reasonable alternatives. Android has an acceptable app catalog, but no nice hardware (expecting perhaps HTC's One X), where as Nokia's Windows Phone hardware is gorgeous, but the platform just isn't mature enough for my needs.

Looks like I'll be staying with Apple for at least the next year then.

This is The End 12th September 2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis (Post 8612071)
Quote:

They need it.

You are kidding, right ?

Could you please not dishonestly snip my posts?

The "They need it." was clearly related to the rest of the post. TheL8Elvis likely knew this but yet disingenuously snipped it to contain the unrelated first half of the post and not the 2nd half.

Here is the rest of the post TheL8Elvis intentionally left out.

Quote:

They need it.

Android/Samsung have been absolutely gobbling up the smart phone market share:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8530534)
Android has nearly 70% of the smartphone market, half of which are Samsung phones. Apple has like 15% smartphone market share. So, AFAIK, Samsung already has more than twice the smartphone market share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8530541)

Anyway I wanted to check my numbers <snip>

Here's an article from 3 days ago. I was very nearly spot on:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/tech...-market-share/

Quote:

Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times the 17% market share held by Apple, according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC.

More specifically, IDC pegged Android's gain "directly" to Samsung, which represented 44% of all Android phones shipped during the quarter. That's more than the next seven Android vendors combined, IDC said. Samsung's Galaxy S III debuted late in the quarter to favorable reviews.

Apple is seriously hoping this (3GS users like Vermonter) is one of the reasons, if not the main reason, why they have been losing market share.

The "They need it." in that context clearly means "if they want to stop losing ground in phone and phone OS market share". For the past 2 quarters it appears that Apple is going to eventually end up with about a 5 to 10% market share, just like with PCs.

TheL8Elvis tries to make it seem like I meant that Apple is going poor...

Yes, TheL8Elvis, we know that Apple is the richest company in the world. That doesn't make market share facts just go away.

This is The End 12th September 2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kajata (Post 8612006)
One thing I'm disappointed with is that the screen is only taller and not wider as well. I don't know if this was done for old app compatibility or what but I loved the proportions of the 4" screen on my Droid X (though I hated the phone).

I agree. Horrible ratio. They might just be doing that to make it harder to port apps back and forth. To give their products more proprietary distinction. That could be a good move, but it could also backfire.

This is The End 12th September 2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths (Post 8611590)

Anyway, this new article sums up many of those features we have been hearing about:

iPhone 5: 10 Rumored Features You'll Already Find in Competing Devices

Well here is the first of those 10 that it appears Apple did not come through with:

Quote:

1. Near-field communication

This is an easy one, isn’t it? Near-field communication is an absolute necessity in every smartphone going forward, and yet, it’s not available in Apple’s iPhone. That’ll likely change with the iPhone 5. However, several companies, including Apple’s arch-nemesis Samsung, have already bundled NFC into their products. Sorry, Apple, but you’re a little late to the game.
And it was #1 on that list, they considered it a "no-brainer".

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-...es-sept-dot-21

Quote:

One feature missing from the new phone is a chip for near-field communications, or NFC. Other top-of-the-line phones are incorporating such chips, which let phones work as credit cards at some store payment terminals. They also enable phones to share data when "bumped" into each other.

a_unique_person 12th September 2012 04:25 PM

It's good to see they are following the innovation of Samsung, by making the phone screen larger and the phone itself thinner. It will use the new LTE technology that Samsung helped invent. Which is a good thing, as Apple is really just a company that designs the look and feel, the really hard stuff that's inside the phone is beyond them.

kajata 12th September 2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCat (Post 8613839)

For you. Not for me and many other people. I had a Droid X for a year. Never swapped the battery or memory card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCat (Post 8613804)
It turns out the adapter is $30 or $40, depending on the type you want.

Don't look for a cheaper non-Apple version either, not allowed.

Well, I was certainly wrong about the price.

But according to Phil Schiller it wasn't possible to make the phone any thinner with the 9-year-old plug.

Seriously, they stuck with the same plug for almost a decade. New tech arose and they went with it. I'm all for the change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginarley (Post 8613910)
Just for one example the Nokia 920 generates wows with interesting looks, a touch screen you can use with ski gloves, and wireless charging.

As Schiller points out in the article I posted a few sentences up...

Quote:

As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it’s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.
“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller said.

kajata 12th September 2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_unique_person (Post 8614078)
It's good to see they are following the innovation of Samsung, by making the phone screen larger and the phone itself thinner. It will use the new LTE technology that Samsung helped invent. Which is a good thing, as Apple is really just a company that designs the look and feel, the really hard stuff that's inside the phone is beyond them.

This is true. I hear they don't really employ hundreds of engineers but only a few graphic designers to create the pretty boxes to put the finished items in.