International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The post-Trump fascist creep catch-all thread (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350859)

Stacyhs 18th April 2022 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aridas (Post 13785337)
It may be worth considering how much of the issues that Ukraine was dealing with on the joining NATO front are directly caused by Russia.

Based on information from early on, Putin was intending to go after Moldova after having swiftly crushed Ukraine, with strong indications that he also wanted to go after the Baltic states. That his plan failed at the crushing Ukraine part of it doesn't change that he seemed to be seriously intending to do so.

Sources? Moldova, I can understand if he took Ukraine. But the NATO Baltic States? I highly doubt that.

Aridas 18th April 2022 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13785391)
Sources? Moldova, I can understand if he took Ukraine. But the NATO Baltic States? I highly doubt that.

The reference that I immediately think of is Lukashenko's Ukraine invasion map early on and some of the things said in relation to that. One of the Russian invasion lines was into Odessa and moving from there on to Moldova. As for the Baltic states, there was also talk of Belarus being aided by Russia to gain a port on the Baltic sea. To poke at a bit of the type of rhetoric going on -

Quote:

“Just today we talked with the President of Belarus on this matter. Our Belarusian friends are interested in being present in the Baltic, interested in developing their own port facilities. You know that I also support it,” Putin said during a ceremony for a new Russian ferry, which he attended virtually.
With that said, no direct moves to act on that seem to have been made with regards to the Baltic States. If the conquest of Ukraine had gone to plan, however, it would not be a huge surprise for Putin to try to keep going.

Bob001 18th April 2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13785391)

Serious people think it's possible.
Quote:

European Commission Vice President Valdis Dombrovskis warned Monday that the EU had to take the Russian threat seriously.

“If we do not support Ukraine, it’s not going to stop in Ukraine. Clearly Putin is now in some kind of aggressive war mood and unfortunately it is likely that this aggression will continue in other countries,” he said in an interview with Politico published Monday evening.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/08/balt...is-sights.html

Quote:

While NATO’s short-term role in Ukraine may be limited, its bigger role now is to keep Russia out of the rest of Europe. For years, many have taken for granted that Putin will stop at NATO’s borders, deterred by the promise of an Article 5 response. But this is no longer a given in light of the Russian leader’s belligerence and unpredictability.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...-thin-00013933

Quote:

To Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians — particularly those old enough to have lived under Soviet control — Russia’s belligerence toward Ukraine has some worried that they could be the next target. The escalating tensions which preceded an attack Thursday brought back memories of mass deportations and oppression.
https://abcnews.go.com/International...ering-83079302

Stacyhs 18th April 2022 12:59 PM

Anything is possible but that doesn't make it probable or even likely. I think some people are speculating that Putin could invade one or more of the NATO Baltic States in order to support their real desire: putting NATO forces into Ukraine. Which actually could happen as Putin continues his destruction and war crimes in Ukraine.

Bob001 18th April 2022 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13785920)
Anything is possible but that doesn't make it probable or even likely. I think some people are speculating that Putin could invade one or more of the NATO Baltic States in order to support their real desire: putting NATO forces into Ukraine. Which actually could happen as Putin continues his destruction and war crimes in Ukraine.

Of course I hope you're right. I just note that until he did it, nobody really thought Putin would mount a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, either. Putin has talked for years about restoring the Russian empire. The old adage is "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

Stacyhs 18th April 2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13785963)
Of course I hope you're right. I just note that until he did it, nobody really thought Putin would mount a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, either. Putin has talked for years about restoring the Russian empire. The old adage is "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

There's a huge difference between Ukraine and a NATO country. Putin invaded and occupied Crimea in 2014 so there was that precedent but he's never attacked a NATO member. As nuts as Putin is, I have a feeling even his inner circle would not agree to take on NATO. NATO has made it very clear that any attack on a member will incur swift and united military response. They can't win that and they know it. NATO has far more military resources and manpower.

Bob001 18th April 2022 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13786062)
There's a huge difference between Ukraine and a NATO country. Putin invaded and occupied Crimea in 2014 so there was that precedent but he's never attacked a NATO member. As nuts as Putin is, I have a feeling even his inner circle would not agree to take on NATO. NATO has made it very clear that any attack on a member will incur swift and united military response. They can't win that and they know it. NATO has far more military resources and manpower.

That's all well and good, if we could be sure that Putin would never resort to nuclear weapons. But we can't, can we? And "going nuclear" doesn't mean the end of the world. Putin has a couple thousand tactical nuclear weapons. If he decides to use a few of those, how would NATO respond?
Quote:

"Given the potential desperation of President Putin and the Russian leadership, given the setbacks that they've faced so far, militarily, none of us can take lightly the threat posed by a potential resort to tactical nuclear weapons or low-yield nuclear weapons," CIA Director William Burns said on Thursday during a speech at Georgia Tech.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ate/ar-AAWlfqW

Norman Alexander 18th April 2022 09:42 PM

A better solution is to defeat the Russian forces but not on the battlefield. Putin is wanting a shooting war because that's the kind of war-wolf he is, and the betting is he would not stop before nukes. But if all of Russia was down the crapper and every Russian were fed up to the back teeth with the results of his escapades, he would be come like Trump: A shouty little nobody tossed from office, left holed up in a blingy mansion by the Black Sea. Or better yet, a smudge on a bullt-pocked wall somewhere outside Moscow.

Stacyhs 18th April 2022 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13786171)
That's all well and good, if we could be sure that Putin would never resort to nuclear weapons. But we can't, can we? And "going nuclear" doesn't mean the end of the world. Putin has a couple thousand tactical nuclear weapons. If he decides to use a few of those, how would NATO respond?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ate/ar-AAWlfqW

The only things you can be sure of are

Putin really believed he would invade and take Ukraine quickly and easily. He expected victory within a week with little to no real interference from the West. That hasn't happened. Instead, he's faced staggering sanctions, companies leaving Russia, their tourism industry frozen, many airlines not flying to or from Russia, and, very importantly, a united front from NATO and most of the world with billions of dollars in aid and military equipment going to Ukraine. His military has been revealed as being poorly trained, his generals' command poor, and their supplies outdated and limited. I'm betting he's not going to take on NATO forces which are far superior. Are there any guarantees? No. But there are no guarantees about much in life except for taxes, death, and Trump lying.

Stacyhs 18th April 2022 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13786177)
A better solution is to defeat the Russian forces but not on the battlefield. Putin is wanting a shooting war because that's the kind of war-wolf he is, and the betting is he would not stop before nukes. But if all of Russia was down the crapper and every Russian were fed up to the back teeth with the results of his escapades, he would be come like Trump: A shouty little nobody tossed from office, left holed up in a blingy mansion by the Black Sea. Or better yet, a smudge on a bullt-pocked wall somewhere outside Moscow.

A previous Russian autocrat engaged in a war that was popular at first...until the casualties mounted angering the soldiers and the Russian people had enough of the economic hardships they were suffering. Finally, the military and the people rose up and deposed him. I can well see the same thing happening to Vlady once the people begin seeing how many of their sons, father, and brothers aren't coming home from his "special military operation" and the people are facing empty shelves, no jobs, and their ruble becoming worth less and less.

Bob001 27th April 2022 09:47 AM

From a conservative columnist:
Quote:

.... one must acknowledge that the GOP is not a political party anymore. It is a movement dedicated to imposing White Christian nationalism.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...n-nationalism/

Stacyhs 27th April 2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13793310)

From you link which is excellent:

Quote:

Today, those who argue that America is a White, Christian nation simultaneously insist they are devoid of bigotry. The MAGA crowd is offended by any attempt to identify the ongoing reality of systemic racism (evident, for example, in the criminal justice system, maternal health care, housing discrimination and gerrymandering to reduce minority voting power). The notion that institutions they refuse to reform perpetuate racism is a sort of moral challenge to their claim to be “colorblind.” Perhaps it is simply self-interested blindness.

No one should be surprised that the “big lie” has become gospel in White evangelical churches. The New York Times reports: “In the 17 months since the presidential election, pastors at these churches have preached about fraudulent votes and vague claims of election meddling. … For these church leaders, Mr. Trump’s narrative of the 2020 election has become a prominent strain in an apocalyptic vision of the left running amok.”

If anti-critical-race-theory crusades are the response to racial empathy, then laws designed to make voting harder or to subvert elections are the answer to the GOP’s defeat in 2020, which the right still refuses to concede. The election has been transformed into a plot against right-wingers that must be rectified by further marginalizing those outside their movement.

Bob001 30th April 2022 09:28 AM

Writer contends that ignoring Trump is a mistake.
Quote:

Donald Trump's political circus and freak show is continuing its American tour. Everywhere it stops, Donald Trump unleashes a torrent of lies, hatred, ignorance, bigotry, racism, narcissism, authoritarianism, threats of violence and other antisocial and evil values.

Trump's political rallies resemble George Orwell's "two minutes of hate" from "1984," expanded to two hours or so.

The mainstream news media has made an obvious editorial decision to downplay or ignore Trump's political hate rallies and similar events. That may be an attempt to correct for the wall-to-wall coverage Trump received the first time he ran for president, but it won't save the American people or American democracy — or the "freedom of the press" — from the neofascist assault. Moreover, ignoring Trump's escalating threats at this point, given all we know, amounts to journalistic malpractice and betrayal of the public trust.
Democracy is running out of time. America's political class and leading figures in the mainstream media still want to pretend that we can somehow return to "normal," and that denial or wish-casting will make the neofascist assault go away. It won't.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...out&li=BBnb7Kz

mgidm86 30th April 2022 02:33 PM

Yaaa I dunno about that. Are Trump supporters watching "mainstream media" looking for the ugly truth? No, they are watching Fox.

Sure, I suppose there are fence sitters still. If one doesn't realize how awful Trump is by now it is because they don't want to know. People that stupid are probably already lost.

Trump is right there on TV every day saying the most ignorant and repugnant stuff I have ever heard. He has been for years. If you don't absolutely despise him by now, CNN and MSN are not going to convince.

These folk have lived in a fantasy world for a long time. They think their very existence is at stake. They are completely sold on this.

I don't have answers. The fact that so many people are this ignorant, or downright evil, is something I have yet to get a grip on. I feel like the world pulled the rug out from under my feet and I'm still having a hard time believing it.

Stacyhs 30th April 2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgidm86 (Post 13795453)
Yaaa I dunno about that. Are Trump supporters watching "mainstream media" looking for the ugly truth? No, they are watching Fox.

Sure, I suppose there are fence sitters still. If one doesn't realize how awful Trump is by now it is because they don't want to know. People that stupid are probably already lost.

Trump is right there on TV every day saying the most ignorant and repugnant stuff I have ever heard. He has been for years. If you don't absolutely despise him by now, CNN and MSN are not going to convince.

These folk have lived in a fantasy world for a long time. They think their very existence is at stake. They are completely sold on this.

I don't have answers. The fact that so many people are this ignorant, or downright evil, is something I have yet to get a grip on. I feel like the world pulled the rug out from under my feet and I'm still having a hard time believing it.

I agree. Giving the braying jack ass coverage isn't going to change the minds of anyone. If a person can't see him for what he is by now, they're never going to.

Bob001 1st May 2022 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13795481)
I agree. Giving the braying jack ass coverage isn't going to change the minds of anyone. If a person can't see him for what he is by now, they're never going to.

It's not a question of changing minds. Trumpers will always Trump. But the rest of us might be inclined to see him as a relic of the past. The fact is that he continues to be an active force for evil. He will have a strong influence on the 2022 elections, and if he is not the Repub nominee in 2024, he will have a lot to say about who is. The Democrats, whether Biden or someone else, could lose to Trump or a clone. The media can't let us forget that.
Quote:

The American news media has collectively decided to ignore Donald Trump's threats of white supremacist violence and sedition. If you believe this will keep you safe from his schemes and machinations, or from what his legions of followers may do, you are greatly mistaken.
https://www.salon.com/2022/04/13/ano...ca-turns-away/

Stacyhs 1st May 2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob001 (Post 13795778)
It's not a question of changing minds. Trumpers will always Trump. But the rest of us might be inclined to see him as a relic of the past. The fact is that he continues to be an active force for evil. He will have a strong influence on the 2022 elections, and if he is not the Repub nominee in 2024, he will have a lot to say about who is. The Democrats, whether Biden or someone else, could lose to Trump or a clone. The media can't let us forget that.

https://www.salon.com/2022/04/13/ano...ca-turns-away/

What kind of and how much coverage of Trump is the real issue here. During the 2016 campaign, he was covered ad nauseum because everything he did was so outlandish it made for entertaining 'news' that could be discussed on the 24/7 channels like CNN. I'm not against coverage of him but not in the same way as in 2016. We don't have to be told everything the idiot does including live coverage of his rallies. We know how those work: lather up the crowd, rinse, repeat. What we do need to be covered are his legal troubles, exposing his continuing 2020 election lies, and the Jan. 6 committee findings.

Stacyhs 1st May 2022 03:04 PM

I really didn't know which thread to put this in and it's not worth its own thread so I opted for this one.

Elon Musk tweeted this cartoon by Colin Wright:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...f00734be40.jpg

There's more than one way to interpret this cartoon. Mine is that both sides have gone farther from the center to the extreme on each end (I agree) and Wright finds himself moving farther right. But my questions are: why does he have the liberals running to the left in 2012, but the conservatives not running to the far right? The GOP has certainly become more radical right in the last 10 years, but is he showing that it was over a longer period than the left?
What's your opinion?

Skeptic Ginger 1st May 2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13795912)
I really didn't know which thread to put this in and it's not worth its own thread so I opted for this one.

There's more than one way to interpret this cartoon. Mine is that both sides have gone farther from the center to the extreme on each end (I agree) and Wright finds himself moving farther right. But my questions are: why does he have the liberals running to the left in 2012, but the conservatives not running to the far right? The GOP has certainly become more radical right in the last 10 years, but is he showing that it was over a longer period than the left?
What's your opinion?

If Musk sees himself as "me" in that cartoon he's an ignorant ass.

Yes there are far-left Progressives. They annoy me because they publicly tear down moderate left Democrats regardless the damage contributes to more alt-righters winning legislator positions.

In the cartoon there is a total absence of the far-right Republicans, including Libertarians that choose to vote Republican. That's quite the blinded POV given where the alt-right Rump cult legislators and voters are politically.

Lurch 1st May 2022 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger (Post 13795967)
If Musk sees himself as "me" in that cartoon he's an ignorant ass.

Yes there are far-left Progressives. They annoy me because they publicly tear down moderate left Democrats regardless the damage contributes to more alt-righters winning legislator positions.

In the cartoon there is a total absence of the far-right Republicans, including Libertarians that choose to vote Republican. That's quite the blinded POV given where the alt-right Rump cult legislators and voters are politically.

Indeed! Just look at the Supreme Court to see how far out there the Right is rushing. That nominal bastion of jurisprudence is now commencing the dismantling of rights that the MAJORITY of the country wants to see kept in place. State legislatures are working at putting veritable insurrectionists in place for the next election. I could go on.

The Great Zaganza 1st May 2022 09:23 PM

Quote:

What's your opinion?

The difference is that in 2008, Musk was getting millions from the government for his projects, and now the government wants him to pay taxes like everyone else and follow regulations in the companies he build with Federal money.
How dare they!

dann 2nd May 2022 02:48 AM

Quote:

What's your opinion?

The meaning of the cartoon is unambiguous: Conservatives and "me" haven't moved at all, but liberals moving to the extreme left side of the political spectrum caused the center to appear to have moved to the left, thus making it seem as if "me" has moved to the right, but "me" hasn't moved at all. The cartoon is dumb enough to make a lot of money, I guess.
(I couldn't read the text until I found a version with more pixels: https://nypost.com/2022/04/29/politi...old-as-an-nft/ )

Susheel 2nd May 2022 03:46 AM

First of all Elon Musk positioning himself as a centrist is pretty much a con. He has more or less always been a libertarian. Also the so called centrist and even "left" dems would under more normal milieu would be considered centre-right. The chimera of a leftist "commie" dem is more or less a figment of right-wing conservative fever dream.

The Great Zaganza 2nd May 2022 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susheel (Post 13796167)
First of all Elon Musk positioning himself as a centrist is pretty much a con. He has more or less always been a libertarian. Also the so called centrist and even "left" dems would under more normal milieu would be considered centre-right. The chimera of a leftist "commie" dem is more or less a figment of right-wing conservative fever dream.

it's factually incorrect that he is a libertarian, given how much money he took from the government.

ponderingturtle 2nd May 2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13796182)
it's factually incorrect that he is a libertarian, given how much money he took from the government.

Ah but see Rand, taking money from the government is nobel it is giving money to the government that is evil. He is freeing all that money from government tyranny and moving it into the private sector.

SuburbanTurkey 2nd May 2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Being completely inconsistent with ideology in a strictly self-serving way is probably the purest expression of libertarianism I can imagine.

Aridas 2nd May 2022 06:31 AM

Quote:

Maybe. On the other hand, it's not at all hard for Libertarians to justify taking money for the government. Pay for (potential) services rendered, for example. Just because they oppose such being done in the first place isn't going to stop all those Libertarian billionaires and wannabe Libertarian billionaires from taking advantage of the current state of things. If they can do it so well that it proves that the system should be changed, that's tactics!

Stacyhs 2nd May 2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dann (Post 13796140)
The meaning of the cartoon is unambiguous: Conservatives and "me" haven't moved at all, but liberals moving to the extreme left side of the political spectrum caused the center to appear to have moved to the left, thus making it seem as if "me" has moved to the right, but "me" hasn't moved at all. The cartoon is dumb enough to make a lot of money, I guess.
(I couldn't read the text until I found a version with more pixels: https://nypost.com/2022/04/29/politi...old-as-an-nft/ )

So this idiot thinks that the GOP hasn't become more extreme right since 2008?
Okaaaaaaaay.......

Aridas 2nd May 2022 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13796648)
Okaaaaaaaay.......

Or, just as likely, it's more akin to throwing crap. The kind of throwing crap that destroys one's sense of truth by confusing and overloading it, which then makes it difficult to take appropriate action. More power to the libertarian billionaires that way, among others.

dudalb 3rd May 2022 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurch (Post 13796021)
Indeed! Just look at the Supreme Court to see how far out there the Right is rushing. That nominal bastion of jurisprudence is now commencing the dismantling of rights that the MAJORITY of the country wants to see kept in place. State legislatures are working at putting veritable insurrectionists in place for the next election. I could go on.

SO what should we in the US do, since you are convinced that the US will go fascist no matter what?

dudalb 3rd May 2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13796648)
Okaaaaaaaay.......

We have some people whose politics are certainly pretty far left of center here who worship Musk, and will hear no bad about him. Hopefully their eyes have been opened.

Susheel 3rd May 2022 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13797552)
SO what should we in the US do, since you are convinced that the US will go fascist no matter what?

I don't know. You are the one who keeps telling the dems they need to arm up. However, the moment stuff like universal health care, bwtter public education, and anything that will help the common man and usher in actual democracy is brought up you bring up some weird strawman about authoritarian lefties...and descent into communism.

Bob001 9th May 2022 12:41 AM

One more expression of concern:
Quote:

The Trump train keeps on rolling. The fascist tide is rising unabated. Donald Trump's odds of winning the White House in 2024 are increasing. During Tuesday's Republican primaries in Ohio and Indiana, all of Trump's endorsed candidates — all 22 of them — won.

The Republican Party remains firmly under Trump's control and the MAGA cult remains intact. Trump's war chest is huge. The Republicans will in all likelihood win control of the House in November, and perhaps the Senate. This is not "doom porn," as some naïve optimists and hope-peddlers might claim: It is the raw truth. The Democrats and America's other pro-democracy forces should prepare for the worst and plan accordingly. Unfortunately, it appears that the Democratic leadership have largely forgotten the 6-P principle: Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

In all, Donald Trump remains the most dangerous person in the United States. Instead of consistently sounding the alarm, America's mainstream news media and the larger political class insist on depicting him as a buffoon, a dotard or a harmless curiosity. In the long battle to save American democracy from the neofascist movement, underestimating the enemy is a grave miscalculation.
https://www.salon.com/2022/05/06/you...ve-roe-v-wade/

Stacyhs 14th May 2022 04:10 PM

It's not like these people are nuts or anything:

Quote:

"Prominent allies of former President Donald Trump warned of a "demonic territory" over the country and a "Satanic portal" over the White House as they spoke at a weekend conference.

The ReAwaken America Tour held what it described as a "sold out" event in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on Friday and Saturday. Speakers at the far-right event included Pastor Mark Burns, right-wing strategist Roger Stone, MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, the former president's son Eric Trump and retired Lieutenant General Michael Flynn."
Quote:

"The Bible say that 'we fight not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against rulers in high places.' Satan is bigger than Lindsey Graham," Burns said, drawing audible agreement from the audience. Graham represents South Carolina.

"You wanna get rid of Lindsey Graham?" the pastor asked. "Then get rid of the demonic territory that's over the land. Y'all not talking back to me. I can't get no help in here," he added, drawing applause and some cheers from the large crowd."
Quote:

"Speaking on Friday night, Stone, who received a pardon from Trump in December 2020, talked about Satan as well.

"There is a Satanic portal above the White House, you can see it day and night," the Trump ally claimed. "It exists. It is real. And it must be closed. And it will be closed by prayer," he added, drawing claps and cheers. Stone went on to claim that this "portal" first appeared after President Joe Biden "became president, and it will be closed before he leaves."
Quote:

Burns, who Flynn previously endorsed, also proudly declared in his remarks that he calls LGBTQ people "queer" and asserted that gay marriage is "illegal," citing the Bible. He also said that he would go to Congress and "declare the word of God right to Nancy Pelosi's face, right to AOC's face." AOC is an acronym for the name of Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, a progressive New York Democrat."
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0364a3898f.jpg

Hellbound 14th May 2022 06:35 PM

The post-Trump fascist creep catch-all thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13806271)
It's not like these people are nuts or anything:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...0364a3898f.jpg

I’ve often had the thought that, if the Bible were real, and Satan really existed…the best tactic for the “father of lies” would be to subvert Christianity into a religion of hatred and intolerance. Even within their own professed belief system, these people are seventeen kinds of fail.

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.

The Great Zaganza 15th May 2022 12:06 AM

No need to subvert - fundamentalist US Christians are closer to Hydra than SHIELD to begin with.

Hellbound 15th May 2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza (Post 13806461)
No need to subvert - fundamentalist US Christians are closer to Hydra than SHIELD to begin with.

That was kinda my point :). They’re a far cry from Jesus’s “Love thy neighbor as thyself”, which is supposedly the core of Christianity ( one of two commandments on which all else rests).

Stacyhs 15th May 2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellbound (Post 13806351)
I’ve often had the thought that, if the Bible were real, and Satan really existed…the best tactic for the “father of lies” would be to subvert Christianity into a religion of hatred and intolerance. Even within their own professed belief system, these people are seventeen kinds of fail.

Historically, this has been the case. Protestants slaughtering Catholics, Catholics slaughtering Protestants, Church of England intolerant of Pilgrims, Russian Orthodox intolerance of Roman Catholic, Christian intolerance of Judaism, Islam, etc. They talk brotherly love but, historically, they've been anything but.

Norman Alexander 15th May 2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs (Post 13806815)
Historically, this has been the case. Protestants slaughtering Catholics, Catholics slaughtering Protestants, Church of England intolerant of Pilgrims, Russian Orthodox intolerance of Roman Catholic, Christian intolerance of Judaism, Islam, etc. They talk brotherly love but, historically, they've been anything but.

Pilgrims intolerant of everybody else.

bruto 15th May 2022 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander (Post 13807090)
Pilgrims intolerant of everybody else.

Sure enough. Practically the first thing Martin Luther did when he got free of the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, was to burn heretics. The pilgrims, victims of religious persecution, indulged in it practically the moment they landed. Joseph Smith, chased across the country by religious zealots who murdered Mormons and burned their houses, relaxed when he got outside the border to Utah, where he could establish his own restrictive zealotry...and so on and so on...

But one of the nice side notes I like always to point out is that one of the few exceptions to this was Roger Williams, a Baptist exiled from Massachusetts for his heresy. Something clicked, and he realized the best way to make things work was to keep the government secular. A lesson sadly forgotten.