International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Non-USA & General Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   General UK politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346868)

Darat 12th March 2021 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13423438)
I see Gove's failure to deliver on his promise to ban electric-shock collars for animals is back in the news.

I can see why he’s backed away from the ban, how would they ever get Johnson to sit and stay if they didn’t have him wear a shock collar.

catsmate 12th March 2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer (Post 13423467)
I think they should still be available for specific purposes. Like SortedFood "Shock The Chef" episodes!

Oh we have several, modified or intended for human use. We'd never use them on animals though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13423470)
I can see why he’s backed away from the ban, how would they ever get Johnson to sit and stay if they didn’t have him wear a shock collar.

At the risk of heading OT, there are BDSM versions that attach......elsewhere.
That's what I'd recommend for BoJo.

P.J. Denyer 12th March 2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13423577)
That's what I'd recommend for BoJo.


You know how you can get games controllers that come with really fast, constant, 'autofire' switches.................

ETA: And are they available in a mains version?

catsmate 12th March 2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer (Post 13423693)
You know how you can get games controllers that come with really fast, constant, 'autofire' switches.................

ETA: And are they available in a mains version?

There are a wide range of electrical ''devices' that use mains (stepped down), batteries or the ever popular hand crank (for the 'Tucker telephone' traditionalists). In general batteries are quite sufficient for most scenarios.

P.J. Denyer 12th March 2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13424125)
There are a wide range of electrical ''devices' that use mains (stepped down), batteries or the ever popular hand crank (for the 'Tucker telephone' traditionalists). In general batteries are quite sufficient for most scenarios.

Stepped down? Not suitable for this application..

Captain_Swoop 12th March 2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer (Post 13424195)
Stepped down? Not suitable for this application..

I am sure we can link in an old voltage tripler from a CRT tube somewhere.

zooterkin 13th March 2021 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmate (Post 13423457)
Here for example. The furor over the YouTube videos seems to have reminded people of Gove's promise to ban the devices in the UK (excluding Wales) back in '18.

Thanks!

The article seems to lump together all remotely activated collars, both those that deliver an electric shock and those that do something harmless. The article refers to 'noxious' substances, but the ones we used released either citronella or simply compressed air. It was a waste of money, as our beautiful but brainless saluki was too stupid to make the connection between her barking and the noise or smell from the collar.

Darat 13th March 2021 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooterkin (Post 13424419)
Thanks!

The article seems to lump together all remotely activated collars, both those that deliver an electric shock and those that do something harmless. The article refers to 'noxious' substances, but the ones we used released either citronella or simply compressed air. It was a waste of money, as our beautiful but brainless saluki was too stupid to make the connection between her barking and the noise or smell from the collar.

Knew someone who used a compressed air one on their red setter, all it did was make the setter bark more.

catsmate 13th March 2021 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darat (Post 13424434)
Knew someone who used a compressed air one on their red setter, all it did was make the setter bark more.

I remember a one pleasant park in small town USA when some idiot introduced air-horns to deter dog fights.
:mad:

Captain_Swoop 18th March 2021 09:37 AM

“It is not a project that is likely to survive beyond the initial technical & cost appraisal phase” - Philip Hammond on Johnson’s Northern Ireland bridge/tunnel plan

But some of his cronies will get a lot of cash while it lasts in consultancy fees, feasibility studies, etc just like for his London 'Garden Bridge'
if you can charge £2.5m for a bit of IKEA & paint for a briefing room, think what you could charge for mulling over an undersea spaghetti junction!

catsmate 18th March 2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13428835)
“It is not a project that is likely to survive beyond the initial technical & cost appraisal phase” - Philip Hammond on Johnson’s Northern Ireland bridge/tunnel plan

But some of his cronies will get a lot of cash while it lasts in consultancy fees, feasibility studies, etc just like for his London 'Garden Bridge'
if you can charge £2.5m for a bit of IKEA & paint for a briefing room, think what you could charge for mulling over an undersea spaghetti junction!

The blue will be a godsend for video editing.

Captain_Swoop 22nd March 2021 03:18 PM

James Wild Tory MP for NW Norfolk tweeted

@jamesowild
Today the @CommonsPAC scrutinised the BBC on its strategy.
As well as asking about licence fee, commercial income, and efficiency, I asked about the Flag of United Kingdom as I cldnt spot any in its 268 page Annual Report.

Captain_Swoop 23rd March 2021 04:43 AM

The Tories have promised to protect leaseholders from cladding costs no less than 17 times.
Tonight, they voted against this in Parliament for the third time.

Nice that they can afford a new jet for Boris though.

Vixen 23rd March 2021 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13432491)
The Tories have promised to protect leaseholders from cladding costs no less than 17 times.
Tonight, they voted against this in Parliament for the third time.

Nice that they can afford a new jet for Boris though.

And a refurbished home paid for by alleged undeclared* donations because, after all, the Prime Minister of Great Britain deserves no less than the President in the White House.

Next the two-hundred bullet-proof limousine entourage, to be transported abroad everywhere the most highly honourable one goes. His Excellency deserves no less.

*All these thoroughly scurrilous claims designed to undermine the very fabric of the UK government - the scallywags should be taken out and shot at dawn [That's quite enough~ Ed.]

KDLarsen 23rd March 2021 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13432052)
James Wild Tory MP for NW Norfolk tweeted

@jamesowild
Today the @CommonsPAC scrutinised the BBC on its strategy.
As well as asking about licence fee, commercial income, and efficiency, I asked about the Flag of United Kingdom as I cldnt spot any in its 268 page Annual Report.

Thankfully he's being thoroughly roasted in the replies, with some pointing out that the 2019 Tory election manifesto had zero union flags as well.

Darat 24th March 2021 08:53 AM

Ah the beauty of a Tory majority….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56500680

Giving their supporters what they want.

Captain_Swoop 24th March 2021 12:24 PM

Boris has spoken about the BBC 'Union Flag' controversy and the lack of them in the annual report.

He says the BBC are 'out of touch' and too 'metropolitan'

Expect lots of flags all over the next one.

Captain_Swoop 24th March 2021 01:02 PM

The UK government has asked for the union jack to be flown on all UK government buildings every day of the year from now on.

Currently, union flags are only required to be flown on all UK Government buildings on designated days.
New guidance is for the flag to be flown all year round, unless another flag is being flown, such as another national flag of the UK.
where dual flagging ( that is two flags on one pole.) will now be allowed

If there is only one pole and another flag needs to be flown for a designated reason the Union jack should be flown above whatever other flag is to be flown, they are using the example of the union flag alongside the saltire.

Where buildings have two flag poles, they're now advised to fly the Union flag will fly alongside any other flag,

The new guidance applies to England, Wales and Scotland only. Northern Ireland has separate legislation dealing with flag flying, due to the obvious sensitivities.

SNP is not impressed.
"This idea seems to have been inspired by Tory ministers watching an episode of the Thick of It...If Tories think an overload of Union Jacks on buildings is the answer to promote the strength of the Union, it shows how thin the case is."

Captain_Swoop 24th March 2021 01:05 PM

Do you remember in The Sound of Music how the authorities were insisting that all buildings flew the Nazis flags?
Is that where they got the idea from?

You just know that there’s a Tory MP with a close relative who owns a newly founded flag making company in China.

GlennB 24th March 2021 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13434173)
Do you remember in The Sound of Music how the authorities were insisting that all buildings flew the Nazis flags?
Is that where they got the idea from?

You just know that there’s a Tory MP with a close relative who owns a newly founded flag making company in China.

You ninja'd me. This is a disturbing development which made me think of certain definitions of 'fascism' - enforced nationalism etc. I hope that Wales, Scotland and N.I. tell the Tories to shove it.

Captain_Swoop 24th March 2021 04:34 PM

This bit about 'dual flagging' and putting the union flag at the top over the saltire etc is designed to boost the Union I would guess.

I can see it pissing off a lot of people.

GlennB 24th March 2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13434416)
This bit about 'dual flagging' and putting the union flag at the top over the saltire etc is designed to boost the Union Tory majority I would guess.

I can see it pissing off a lot of people.

ftfy

catsmate 25th March 2021 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13434416)
This bit about 'dual flagging' and putting the union flag at the top over the saltire etc is designed to boost the Union I would guess.

I can see it pissing off a lot of people.

Yes I'm sure the Scots will get the message...
:rolleyes:

Captain_Swoop 26th March 2021 02:04 PM

How much on eyebrows??

Captain_Swoop 26th March 2021 04:26 PM

Home Office tweets

@ukhomeoffice
Newspaper FACT CHECK:

It is wrong to claim the Home Office expenses that have been circulated today are the Home Secretary's.
They are department wide and for vital equipment like PPE.
It is completely false to say the Home Office has spent money on beauty products, it was PPE.

We make no apology for buying PPE to keep our staff safe during the pandemic.

Captain_Swoop 26th March 2021 04:28 PM

The expenses included £3.8k restaurant bills, £864 to a hairdresser closed due to lockdown, £669 to a cake maker, £900 to a pub when pubs were closed, £2k for a diet consultant. We're not mugs!

Also, why was this 'PPE' bought on a credit card and not via normal procurement routes/contracts? And why is a beauty company being used for PPE provision for a government department?

how on Earth is the home office spending £77 grand on "Beautiful brows" which seems to be a nail and eyebrow bar in Cardiff?????

Also just for the record, you can't fact check yourself, that's not how this works.

Captain_Swoop 26th March 2021 04:38 PM

Jay Rayner renowned restaurant critic tweeted

@jayrayner1
Hive mind: help myself and @MarinaOLoughlin with a mystery. There's a restaurant called Pollyana in which the Home Office has spent thousands of pounds. We can not find it.

Captain_Swoop 26th March 2021 04:40 PM

Govt looking at plans “to end the impartiality of the UK civil service”.

Proposals include govt getting complete veto over all senior appointments breaking the traditions & structure of the British civil service impartiality dating back to Victorian times.

catsmate 27th March 2021 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13436856)
Govt looking at plans “to end the impartiality of the UK civil service”.

Proposals include govt getting complete veto over all senior appointments breaking the traditions & structure of the British civil service impartiality dating back to Victorian times.

Ah, that's be more of the post-Brexit "democracy" and "sovereignty" that the Brexiteers are so enthusiastic about. Far better than the EU.....

Captain_Swoop 27th March 2021 07:57 AM

Beautiful Brows, the company Priti Patel maintains did not do her eyebrows for £77K were dissolved in July 2018!

So how did she use the a home office credit card to buy £77,269.40 of "PPE" from them in March 2020?

Strange that there was £30,000 of PPE Contracts the next week to a different company name at the same address.

Even Beautiful Brows themselves used 'Global Beauty Products' as a name on their website from 2018!

Captain_Swoop 27th March 2021 08:02 AM

£10,043.15 was spent in the Pollyana Restaurant on the same card.

It doesn't seem to exist.

So the Home Office saying it was 'overseas training'.

Also, why are such huge amounts being put on a credit card?
Usually they need to go through a process involving a purchase order, and accounts department etc.

P.J. Denyer 27th March 2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13437242)
Also, why are such huge amounts being put on a credit card?
Usually they need to go through a process involving a purchase order, and accounts department etc.

I think you answered your own question there.

zooterkin 27th March 2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13434124)
Boris has spoken about the BBC 'Union Flag' controversy and the lack of them in the annual report.

He says the BBC are 'out of touch' and too 'metropolitan'

Expect lots of flags all over the next one.

Someone checked the most recent Tory party manifesto, and found there were no flags in that either.

Captain_Swoop 28th March 2021 08:14 AM

NEW: Voting intention from Deltapoll

Conservative 44% (+2)
Labour 36% (-2)
Liberal Democrat 6% (-)
Other 14% (-)

Sample: 1,610 GB adults
Fieldwork: 25th - 27th March 2021

Darat 28th March 2021 09:38 AM

We still have another foot we can shoot!

Vixen 28th March 2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop (Post 13437238)
Beautiful Brows, the company Priti Patel maintains did not do her eyebrows for £77K were dissolved in July 2018!

So how did she use the a home office credit card to buy £77,269.40 of "PPE" from them in March 2020?

Strange that there was £30,000 of PPE Contracts the next week to a different company name at the same address.

Even Beautiful Brows themselves used 'Global Beauty Products' as a name on their website from 2018!

What went wrong? Patel should demand her money back. Perhaps use it to fix her teeth instead, if one were unkind.

Vixen 28th March 2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooterkin (Post 13437264)
Someone checked the most recent Tory party manifesto, and found there were no flags in that either.

None on the Astra Zeneca vaccine either, as excitedly promised by a trembling with glee Matthew Hancock.

Matthew Best 28th March 2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim (Post 13260390)

Now she's gone into detail about it:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...rcuri-23798478

I presume this will have as much effect on Johnson as it did last time i.e. none at all.

Captain_Swoop 28th March 2021 04:19 PM

Just because he got sacked twice for lying, cheated on his first wife with his second wife, cheated on his second wife with Jennifer Arcuri then his future third wife, doesn't mean you can't trust him.

Vixen 29th March 2021 04:17 AM

No wonder he looks like he's aged twenty years.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2015-22, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.