International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Qanon Conspiracy theories (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327121)

buka001 12th February 2018 05:40 AM

Qanon Conspiracy theories

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone seen the Qanon conspiracy theories that appear to be gaining some traction.

Qanon claims to be close to Trump and has top secret "Q" clearance. He is providing "evidence" to some plan that finally destroy the "Deep State/NWO / Illuminatti" and Trump is central to this plan. We will see the arrests of Hilalry, Obama, Soros, Rothschilds and so on very very soon.

He has dropped hundreds of cryptic posts on 4chan/8chan. Claiming predictions of various deaths and so on.

There is a literal army of acolytes who follow these reports and extrapolate meaning from them.

My personal take is it is some smart guy who is leading with the greatest 4chan con in history. Really looking to start debunking some of these posts of his.

Here are a few links of his predictions:
This link is a rationalisation of "proof" that he is legitimate - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVztyN_UQAAdgGO.jpg:large

And some alleged predictions of the death of John Perry Barlow and Asmar Jahangir

A link to the Reddit page dedicated to his posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/greatawakening/

theprestige 12th February 2018 07:30 AM

Okay, but "greatest 4chan con in history" isn't saying much.

MikeG 12th February 2018 07:55 AM

Why does anyone bother reading this guff, let alone "debunking" it? Is this just an attempt at giving some internet pond-slime some additional publicity?

fagin 12th February 2018 08:04 AM

What he said. ^^^^^^^^

There's enough stupid on the internet. Who has a gazillion years to waste?

bruto 12th February 2018 08:39 AM

Is it a coincidence that "Qanon" sounds so much like "Kyoon?" It even has the same number of letters. I think we need a prophet to unravel the connection.

Didactylos 12th February 2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buka001 (Post 12179948)
Has anyone seen the Qanon conspiracy theories that appear to be gaining some traction.

Indirectly. It pops up on /r/TopMindsOfReddit and /r/SubRedditDrama quite often.
Quote:

Qanon claims to be close to Trump and has top secret "Q" clearance. He is providing "evidence" to some plan that finally destroy the "Deep State/NWO / Illuminatti" and Trump is central to this plan. We will see the arrests of Hilalry, Obama, Soros, Rothschilds and so on very very soon.
From my understanding, there has been several "very very soon" by now, the first sometime in November. It doesn't seem to matter. They'll take any news as a sign that the big purge has started, like redirected planes or resignations of CEOs. And of course the lying MSM will try to keep such things out of the news /s.

Quote:

He has dropped hundreds of cryptic posts on 4chan/8chan. Claiming predictions of various deaths and so on.

There is a literal army of acolytes who follow these reports and extrapolate meaning from them.

My personal take is it is some smart guy who is leading with the greatest 4chan con in history.
Seems the most likely explanation and you've got to admit that Q really knows how to push their buttons. All the people they hate the most (Obama, Hillary, Soros, McCain, uppity football-players etc) are not only officially suspected of but in the process of being arrested/sentenced/jailed for the crime that /pol/s are most obsessed about (Satanic child abuse). And they themselves have a very important role. Oh yes!. They can help defeat the dastardly deep-state by their favorite activity: making and spreading memes!

carlitos 12th February 2018 10:50 AM

When some people say that "the internet is the real world," I think of stuff like this performance art.

dudalb 12th February 2018 02:47 PM

I love the "red pills to the normies" comment.

Dr.Sid 12th February 2018 03:29 PM

Internet IS real world.

Travis 29th June 2018 09:35 PM

Apparently this is now blowing up on twitter. People are buying billboards and flying flags encouraging others to research #QANON.

I was unaware of it until this latest twitter explosion which was being talked about in comments on facebook.

Hellbound 2nd July 2018 06:38 AM

Snopes apparently has an article up now (there's billboards going up):
https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/06/...piracy-theory/

Travis 2nd July 2018 06:45 PM

To me it seems to be a troll(s) telling nutjobs exactly what they want to hear. In that sense they are playing with fire.

I particularly find it amusing that Hillary is already in GITMO and we are all seeing a double. That is stupid in multiple ways.

LSSBB 1st August 2018 10:54 AM

WaPo giving it some attention:

‘We are Q’: A deranged conspiracy cult leaps from the Internet to the crowd at Trump’s ‘MAGA’ tour

fibbermcgee 1st August 2018 02:14 PM

Manufactures are jumping in on this. More than 50 different "Q" shirts and hats for sale on Amazon.

dudalb 1st August 2018 02:59 PM

Someone pretty much nailed it when they called the Qanon theories "Birtherism 2.0".
There are countries where Conspriacy theories have been made part of Government Dogma. It did not end well for any of them.
I don't know who to despise more: The idiots who believe these theories,or the politicians who know they are total crap, but seek to use them for political advantage.

dudalb 1st August 2018 03:08 PM

The other thing about the Qanon is I don't think it is a coincidence that so many of the Bit Bads in the theory turn out to be You Know Whos.......

LSSBB 1st August 2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12381004)
The other thing about the Qanon is I don't think it is a coincidence that so many of the Bit Bads in the theory turn out to be You Know Whos.......

I am pondering strange parallels there:
"The storm" vs. Stormfront
Their slogan comes from the movie "White Squall"

Brainster 1st August 2018 05:10 PM

Anybody got a quick synopsis of the CT (s)he alleges? Is it basic Bilderberger-type nonsense? I did see an article on Memeorandum today that indicated one of the claims is that JFK Jr. staged his death (did not bother to find out why).

Sounds like the Seth Abramson of the right.

dudalb 1st August 2018 05:46 PM

It's a mishmash of every conspiracy theory you ever heard of, with a nasty anti semeitic overtone.
it also proclaims that Trump and Putin will be the saviors of the world,basically.'

LSSBB 1st August 2018 05:54 PM

NYT on the bandwagon now.

They have a scope estimate:

Quote:

The /r/GreatAwakening subreddit board vibrantly shares memes with 49,000 followers, making it a medium-size board. There are Facebook groups, one of the most popular of which has nearly 40,000 members sharing hundreds of posts with one another a day.

Praktik 1st August 2018 10:34 PM

So. Where is the Moon Base Clavius (Moon Hoax debunk source) , the ContrailScience.Com (chemtrail debunking) or the Mark Roberts (9/11) but for debunking Pizzagate/QAnon/The Storm stuff?

Newspaper articles are fine but wondering who is doing yeoman's service on this front if anyones got a good link!

Heck. Even Sandy Hook has http://sandyhookanalysis.blogspot.ca!!

Baylor 2nd August 2018 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12381121)
Anybody got a quick synopsis of the CT (s)he alleges? Is it basic Bilderberger-type nonsense? I did see an article on Memeorandum today that indicated one of the claims is that JFK Jr. staged his death (did not bother to find out why).

The theory is (s)he (let's be honest, they) is/are part of a leftist think-tank machination in order to discredit and defame 4chan and "alt-right" message boards.

Horatius 2nd August 2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12381179)
NYT on the bandwagon now.

They have a scope estimate:

Oh man....

Quote:

But perhaps the greatest signal of the sustained, dedicated audience for this discussion can be found in the seismic traffic to websites and apps set up to collect and curate preferred 4chan posts about Q.

In April 2018, an app called “QDrops” was among the 10 most downloaded paid iOS apps in the Apple Store, according to an NBC report that cited an analytics site.

God, he/she/they are like the Alex Jones for the new era. Making serious bank off stupid people, but even better, they don't have to do daily rants on video with their shirts off. When they get sick of it all, they can just fade into obscurity, without any of AJ's public notoriety.

It's brilliant. God damn these ethics that stop me from doing **** like this!

carlitos 2nd August 2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainster (Post 12381121)

If you have 20 minutes, the NYT podcast "The Daily" had a synopsis this morning. It seems like a 2-sided thing, with evildoers plotting against Trump and smuggling children for sex, and Trump being selected to be the leader that takes down the evildoers. Very comic-book like.

https://www.nytimes.com/podcasts/the-daily

dudalb 2nd August 2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baylor (Post 12381531)
The theory is (s)he (let's be honest, they) is/are part of a leftist think-tank machination in order to discredit and defame 4chan and "alt-right" message boards.

That is silly.
alt.right message boards do a brilliant job in discrediting and defaming themselves without any outside help.......

dudalb 2nd August 2018 11:08 AM

There is also a religious angle in that Trump's coming triumph will end in a Christian takeover of the world, basically.
And it needs to be noted that Qanon does not just target "progressives". Conservatives who are critical of Trump are also the minions of Satan in this theory.

dudalb 2nd August 2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horatius (Post 12381647)
Oh man....

God, he/she/they are like the Alex Jones for the new era. Making serious bank off stupid people, but even better, they don't have to do daily rants on video with their shirts off. When they get sick of it all, they can just fade into obscurity, without any of AJ's public notoriety.

It's brilliant. God damn these ethics that stop me from doing **** like this!

Maybe that is why Alex Jones has basically turned on Qanon,calling it "heavily compromised". He does not like the competition.

dudalb 2nd August 2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praktik (Post 12381335)
So. Where is the Moon Base Clavius (Moon Hoax debunk source) , the ContrailScience.Com (chemtrail debunking) or the Mark Roberts (9/11) but for debunking Pizzagate/QAnon/The Storm stuff?

Newspaper articles are fine but wondering who is doing yeoman's service on this front if anyones got a good link!

Heck. Even Sandy Hook has http://sandyhookanalysis.blogspot.ca!!

Qanon just hit the big time in terms of publicity a couple of days ago. You will see the targeted debunking sites in a couple of weeks at the most.

LSSBB 2nd August 2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12381966)
Qanon just hit the big time in terms of publicity a couple of days ago. You will see the targeted debunking sites in a couple of weeks at the most.

Good luck with that, it's like targeting the Pacific Ocean.

dudalb 2nd August 2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12381984)
Good luck with that, it's like targeting the Pacific Ocean.

You can say that about any Conspiracy Theory, frankly.
But by targeting I meant websites devoted specifically to debunking the Qanon crap...like there are websites devoted to specifically to debunk that Moon Hoax, Birthrism etc.

chrispy 2nd August 2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 12381966)
Qanon just hit the big time in terms of publicity a couple of days ago.

Yeah. This one feels like it came from left field. I had not heard even the faintest murmurs about this one until *poof* there it was. The idiocy involved is breathtaking.

Skeptic Ginger 2nd August 2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSSBB (Post 12380693)

So did NPR today, rather in-depth as well.

dudalb 2nd August 2018 03:52 PM

The Whole "Mueller is secretly on Trump's side, and the whole feud is just a cover story" bit is just priceless when it comes to crazy.

Loss Leader 2nd August 2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buka001 (Post 12179948)

A fascinating discussion of the crazy history of QAnon can be heard on episode 122 of Reply All, a great podcast.

ETA: Q appears not even to need to do much these days. All sorts of followers are connecting imaginary dots and repeating it as though it came from Q and not their own imaginations.

ETAA: Roseanne Barr appears to be a Q follower. Many of her strangest posts were responses to developments in the QAnon cannon.

chrispy 2nd August 2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loss Leader (Post 12382350)
...snip...

ETAA: Roseanne Barr appears to be a Q follower. Many of her strangest posts were responses to developments in the QAnon cannon.

Yeah. I saw some of her tweets using the 'White Squall' quote. Something like "Where one goes we all go" or some-such. Not sure where White Squall fits into this scenario outside of bad metaphors, of course...

chrispy 2nd August 2018 11:26 PM

Also, just got home from a long night at work. Dis anyone notice more QAnon signs, shirts and things at tonight's live-TV Presidential masturbation rally? Just curious if they made a showing 2 nights in a row.

buka001 2nd August 2018 11:59 PM

I called this madness.

Hence my original post. Picking up on Qanon followers on twitter etc I could see this was going to go big, given the way many Trump supporters see him as a saviour of America, it wouldn't take much to push their beliefs into the stratosphere.

I know debunking these stories is like a game of whack-a-mole, but seeing some counter points to the perpetual rubbish would be interesting.

Whoever is behind Q is pretty smart.

Knows how to play the base.

Makes them all feel as if they are a part of this "revolution".

One of the fastest growing conspiracy theories I have ever seen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Norman Alexander 3rd August 2018 12:19 AM

Just needs someone to make it Q's agenda to replace Trump with themselves and it will collapse like the house of straw it is.

Also, talk about "witch hunts"... LOL.

The Atheist 3rd August 2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispy (Post 12382096)
Yeah. This one feels like it came from left field. I had not heard even the faintest murmurs about this one until *poof* there it was. The idiocy involved is breathtaking.

When you have thousands of trolls (4 & 8 Chan) controlling millions of bots, combined with a populace dumb enough to vote a reality TV star misogynist racist blowhard as POTUS, it's not hard to gain a bit of traction.

I don't know whether it still does, but when moot owned 4Chan, the banner used to read: "Only a fool would believe anything written here".

RolandRat 3rd August 2018 02:13 AM

It's a scary thought that people who believe this garbage have the right to vote.