International Skeptics Forum

International Skeptics Forum (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumindex.php)
-   USA Politics (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   post-Trump American insurgency (http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349038)

Venom 16th January 2021 12:08 PM

post-Trump American insurgency
 
Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Australian counterinsurgency expert David Kilcullen have said the recent incident at the Capitol is a warning sign of a possible impending home-grown insurgency, the culmination of years, perhaps decades of increasing political and social tensions.

We see how the insurrectionists and reenergized private militias recruit from military and law enforcement, a tactic commonly used in Arab countries and Central Asia.

White supremacist militants in particular appear to have ties with European white supremacist organizations, according to counterterrorism experts in the FBI.

I hate to say I think we have some dark days ahead of us. Scary to think a large chunk of the Republican base may sympathize with the insurgents. And it was unthinkable to me that we would find any sympathizers in Congress, but that might become true in the near future.

dudalb 16th January 2021 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 13363225)
Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Australian counterinsurgency expert David Kilcullen have said the recent incident at the Capitol is a warning sign of a possible impending home-grown insurgency, the culmination of years, perhaps decades of increasing political and social tensions.

We see how the insurrectionists and reenergized private militias recruit from military and law enforcement, a tactic commonly used in Arab countries and Central Asia.

White supremacist militants in particular appear to have ties with European white supremacist organizations, according to counterterrorism experts in the FBI.

I hate to say I think we have some dark days ahead of us. Scary to think a large chunk of the Republican base may sympathize with the insurgents. And it was unthinkable to me that we would find any sympathizers in Congress, but that might become true in the near future.

So maybe my suggestion it was time for people on the left to buy a gun was not so crazy after all?

Venom 16th January 2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudalb (Post 13363234)
So maybe my suggestion it was time for people on the left to buy a gun was not so crazy after all?

What are the numbers of gun owners by political affiliation?

Thermal 16th January 2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 13363265)
What are the numbers of gun owners by political affiliation?

I recall from another thread that known R's outnumber known D's in terms of being gun owners, but really blow rhem away in terms of how many guns owned per individual (Dem owners have far fewer weapons per owner).

Keep in mind with the vast, overwhelming number of both gun nuts and far right extremists: there's a lot of gun-waving, and relatively little trigger-pulling. As a group, they are far more bark than bite.

zorro99 16th January 2021 03:16 PM

Who is or are the leaders of this insurgency? Trump? Jr? Tucker Carlson? That Proud Boy guy? Id like to know.

sackett 16th January 2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorro99 (Post 13363381)
Who is or are the leaders of this insurgency? Trump? Jr? Tucker Carlson? That Proud Boy guy? I’d like to know.

Cogent questions. I doubt that any movement of their sort can exist without a single leader. Put simply: no fascism without a Duce.

Given the scattered and undisciplined nature of the violent right in the USA, a large, coordinated rising is surely impossible. The brutes would fall to fighting more among themselves than against the overwhelming force of the Federal government.

But if somebody yearns for a wittle gun of his own, yeah, let him run out and buy one. Then he can try to buy ammo for it. A second mortgage might be necessary. Not I disapprove one damn bit.

Venom 16th January 2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorro99 (Post 13363381)
Who is or are the leaders of this insurgency? Trump? Jr? Tucker Carlson? That Proud Boy guy? Id like to know.

Probably the leaders of lesser known but more violent organizations. No centralized leadership.

As someone in another thread pointed out the U.S. is better equipped to deal with a domestic threat than fragile or failed states given the resources the government has.

But I think the deep divisions in the country are problematic. I don't wanna see suburban knuckleheads calling these terrorists "heroes".

Shalamar 16th January 2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom (Post 13363402)
Probably the leaders of lesser known but more violent organizations. No centralized leadership.

As someone in another thread pointed out the U.S. is better equipped to deal with a domestic threat than fragile or failed states given the resources the government has.

But I think the deep divisions in the country are problematic. I don't wanna see suburban knuckleheads calling these terrorists "heroes".


They'll be called heros if an insurgency happens, with the added benefit of 'Look at those stupid libs getting upset at being murdered! LOL!'

Venom 16th January 2021 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sackett (Post 13363401)
Cogent questions. I doubt that any movement of their sort can exist without a single leader. Put simply: no fascism without a Duce.

You assume a fascist uprising in particular, but it doesn't have to be. The militia movement of the 1990s was primarily anti-big government.

That being said they seem to go far harder against Democratic administrations since. Donald Trump saying "take the guns first..." caused some alarm among them. I think if insurgency erupts during Biden's administration they will be led by a few obscure figures who aren't initially household names.

I kind of hope Biden drops his whole anti-gun plan. Probably won't happen. More reason to worry.

sackett 16th January 2021 08:16 PM

If these current yobs aren't fascists, they'll do until the real fascists get here.

Tero 16th January 2021 08:21 PM

A conspiracy only goes so far. Or belief in one. They ran out of steam. Small protest on Wed, no more than 10 dead. Hundreds arrested. A few martyrs. But we have plenty of conspiracy nut martyrs already. Nothing new.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2015-20, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.