View Single Post
Old 25th April 2016, 11:29 AM   #1
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Is 2016 the start of the big die-off?

Is 2016 the start of the big die-off? I think it might be. Is God involved? If he exists, he would have to be.

This article gives celebrity stats, and attempts an explanation.

It is too soon to get a general trend in the overall numbers globally, but are we beginning to experience an underlying “silent” virus that is weakening immune systems and accelerating “normal” causes of deaths? Or is toxic overload catching up with mankind?

Quote:
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36108133
Why so many celebrities have died in 2016
22 April 2016

It now seems rare for a week to pass without a significant celebrity death being reported - from David Bowie in the second week of January, to actor Alan Rickman a week later, to comedian Victoria Wood and Prince this week.

"Enough, 2016" and a more vulgar alternative are phrases people are uttering more and more regularly. So is this wave of celebrity deaths the new normal?
The answer is yes, according to the BBC's obituary editor Nick Serpell, who ought to know about such things.

…It's a jump from only five between January and late March 2012 to a staggering 24 in the same period this year - an almost five-fold increase, according to research by the BBC Radio 4's More or Less programme.

…This all invites the question: why?
There are a few reasons, Nick Serpell says.
"People who started becoming famous in the 1960s are now entering their 70s and are starting to die," he says.

"There are also more famous people than there used to be," he says. "In my father or grandfather's generation, the only famous people really were from cinema - there was no television.

These reasons only explain the genral trend, not the sudden jump in from 12 (2015) to 24 (2016). I could just be a bad year (an anomaly), or the start of something really bad.