Thread: [Split Thread] Randomly Generated Messages
View Single Post
Old 21st March 2022, 01:09 PM   #927
Navigator
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Let me ask you this: have you ever encountered a “GM” that could not be interpreted?
No. I have seen GMs which are obviously misinterpreted though.

Quote:
If so, post it here because I am sure I could come up with something.
I am sure that you could too.

Quote:
A cipher is still a message in the English language, as long as the code is translatable to the English language. That’s REALLY not a good example of a “non coherent GM,” because you aren’t presenting any “GM” here in this thread that is encoded. The messages you are presenting here are in plain English.
A non coherent GM is where there is need to have the cipher in order to decode it.

Written language itself is known because the ciphers are known.
The ciphers - as I explained - are representative of sounds and there are 26 distinct sounds in what we call the English language - which at some point in human history were deciphered in order that the language could be encoded in written form.

Quote:
I can’t make heads or tails of what any of your “GMs,” are supposed to mean.
My "Generated Messages" are no different from any message generated. What is any message generated 'supposed to mean?"

Quote:
Your “immediate thoughts” often don’t correlate to anything I was immediately thinking by reading the phrases. IOW, when I read the phrases, I don’t get the same chain of thought you elucidate.
No surprises there.
The point I have been making is that coherent messages are generated - because if they were not coherent, then you would not even be able to have any 'chain of thought' associated with what you are reading.

Re that - it is equally important that we are aware - not only of our thoughts in the moment, but also more intrinsically - we are aware of why we think the particular way that we do.

Said another way. "There was I was where I ought - examining my conscious thought." not just having a thought for the sake of having a thought.

Quote:
But you understand, then, that the interpretation you come up with for the phrases on your own list will not be the same interpretations that I come up with, yes? I have my own associations and therefore, will have completely different ideas about what your phrases mean.
Yes I understand that. As I said, it is not so much how each individual interprets any particular GM - either coming from me or you or anyone else - Rather it is the fact that a message is generated.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top