View Single Post
Old 5th April 2006, 05:51 AM   #2083
askolnick
Muse

Finally enjoying myself at wacking the wackies at Wiki

I should be ashamed to admit it, but I'm finally enjoying myself responding to Woo-Woos at Wikipedia -- because I'm now slugging it out with Brian Josephson. I've wanted to give that kook some payback for well over a year. Here's some of the latest exchange:
That I am 'scorned by colleagues' seems to be one of these urban myths propagated by outsiders who disapprove of my ideas (though maybe I am not the person best placed to judge this, but I can't say I've ever noticed colleagues avoiding me, at any rate). It may be relevant to note that a graduate student of mine was recently approved for a Ph.D. on the subject of quantum coherence. BrianJ 10:24, 2 April 2006 (UTC)

That Brian Josephson is "scorned by colleagues" is what the Times Higher Education Supplement reported, based on the opinion of fellow scientists, rather than an "urban myth propagated by outsiders," as Josephson would have us believe. Indeed, quite a few have been lobbying to make him the first person to be honored with both a Nobel and Ig Nobel prize. I'm hoping 2006 will be his year. Askolnick 21:51, 4 April 2006 (UTC)
I will admit that there is one rather well-known physicist, who might term himself a colleague, who does propagate such an attitude (anonymously, of course). Journalists are fond of generalising on the basis of minimal evidence and thereby helping to pass on the meme. Brian Josephson 11:54, 5 April 2006 (UTC)
If that were true, then your chance of winning an Ig Nobel prize this year or next would be slim, to say the least. But I think you're a serious contender and I'm routing for you. After all, your fellow pseudoscientist Jacques Benveniste was the first person to be honored with two "Iggies." More than anyone I know, you deserve the honor of being the first to win both the Nobel and Ig Nobel prizes.
By the way, you never publicly explained where he and you disappeared after the American Physical Society accepted your public challenge to test Benveniste's mystical claims. After APS accepted your challenge and offered to pay all costs, they never heard from you again. [5] Were you abducted by UFOs? For the first time, right here in Wikipedia land, please explain to the world where you guys went. You publicly issued a scientific challenge to test Benveniste's claims. It was accepted and the society offered to foot the entire bill. Poof! You disappeared. Was that a paranormal phenomenon, or is there a more prosaic explanation -- like your having a penchant for claiming things that simply are not true and only pretending to want the claims scientifically tested? Askolnick 12:40, 5 April 2006 (UTC)

Last edited by askolnick; 5th April 2006 at 05:59 AM.
askolnick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top