View Single Post
Old 5th April 2006, 10:08 AM   #434
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Given that the transcript is freely available on the Internet, why do we see no reference to this programme by the CTers? Coming into this cold, as it were, it was my memory of seeing this programme that was the source for my existing opinions on the matter, and the main thing I would require to see refuted by anyone seriously putting forward a conspiracy theory.

No, of course the steel didn't melt. It softened enough to deform. That's what you could see in the tons and tons of the stuff lying around at the salvage depot. What is so hard about that for these people to understand?

So come on, Conspiracy Believer, give us your take on the explanation provided by Horizon.

Rolfe.
Hold it, hold it, hold it!
Let's get this straight.
The steel did not get soft enough to deform, or even become pliable, as most people think of it.It did get weaker. A fine distinction, I know, but let's be as accurate as possible
Take a generic steel. It has a yield stress of 36000psi (2.48x10^8 Pa) at 70 degrees F. Heat it to 500 degrees F, and that value is at 3/4 the original. At 800 degrees F, it is about 1/2.
Stress is Force/area in compression. You also have to add in M*C/I for bending, where C and I are geometry-based values--the shape is important, here.. Ideally, the collumns are in pure axial load--that's the way they are designed.
So now we have 1/2 the strength, plus!!!! steel gets longer as it gets hotter!!!! Amazing physical property, known to everyone except CT'er's. If the heating is symetrical, it all gets longer at the same rate. If not, as was likely the case, things get complex.
The floor trusses got longer (and weaker), trying to push the support collumns. This puts them (the collumns) in bending--they were designed for axial loading. Additionally, the collumns themselves are trying to get longer, while at the same time, getting weaker-both by heating.
It does not take long to fail a beam by restraining the ends (loading them), and heating the beam. You can find the values for Coefficient of thermal expansion (units are in/in/degree F), and calculate the strain (elongation per unit length (in/in)) at any temperature. Look that strain up on a force/displacement curve for your material, and figure the stress. Amazing how fast it goes to failure...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top