View Single Post
Old 28th August 2006, 10:23 PM   #3278
Kent1
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
Question:

wrt Waleed Al-Shehri. Embree-Riddle has a golden eagle card you are required to have when you attend school. It has a photo on it. You would think that someone has access to those photos, and if they keep them around on file back to 1997, then someone could get access to the photo of the Embree Waleed, then compare that photo to the FBI one could they not??

Anyone know if these photos are available?
TAM, not sure about the photos, but one suggestion would be to find a copy of Dateline NBC's "A Saudi Apology" on Aug 25 2002 I've seen the episode where they interviewed family members.

I still have a copy of the web page discussing the special. I hope this helps a little.
Also if you haven't I'd check out 9/11myths.

Exclusive interview with brother of two hijackers *
Brothers suspected of being 9/11 hijackers, Wail al Shahiri, left, and Waleed al Shahiri. *

NBC News

Aug. 25 — *President Bush and top Saudi officials are meeting this week to discuss further cooperation in investigating the Sept. 11 terror attacks. Saudi Arabia was home to 15 of the hijackers. What triggered the terrorists’ hate? Dateline’s John Hockenberry travelled to Saudi Arabia’s Asir province to find out.
* * * *IT IS HERE where Osama bin Laden found his most potent weapon — ordinary angry Saudis off the radars of U.S. and Saudi intelligence, men with some U.S. education and most important, U.S. visas. They went largely unnoticed before September 11, safe in the shadows of the U.S.-Saudi blind spot that al-Qaeda recruited without fear.
* * * *For 30 years Bob Baer was a dedicated field operative for the CIA in the Middle East. He left the CIA in 1997. And he is the author of the book “See No Evil,” about the U.S.-Saudi relationship as he saw it.
* * * *“Inside the mosques they’re saying go kill yourselves in the name of Islam,” says Baer. “And where was the United States? Where was the Saudi royal family?”
* * * *Ordinary Saudis living far from the strategic oil fields simply never figured into the U.S.-Saudi arrangement. But on September 11 they redefined it. Even their parents were clueless.
* * * *Prince Khalid Al-Faisal is governor of Asir Province. A third of the Saudi hijackers grew up here.
* * * *Prince Khaled Al-Faisal: “They didn’t actually think that their sons were able to do such terrible action. But they also believe that they have been deceived, their children have been deceived.”
* * * *Prince Khaled Al-Faisal: “And they are good people by the way — their families.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “The families?”
* * * *Prince Khaled Al-Faisal: “Are very good people.”
* * * *It’s a relatively isolated province in the extreme south where its rocky hills rise out of the Red Sea.
* * * *Prince Khaled Al-Faisal: “I think they have been chosen, especially to hit the American Saudi relations.”
‘What I want to say for the American people, we are very sorry what happened in 11th September for the families, for everybody.’
— SALAH AL-SHAHIRI
Brother of suspected hijackers * * * *Chosen well. Reports from southern Saudi Arabia suggest a loose network of radical clerics who identified aimless, possibly bitter young men, offering them a chance at immortality. Does the government have an explanation?
* * * *John Hockenberry: “Is there some aspect of Saudi life that would encourage well-to-do, educated, young men, to do these kinds of things? Bin Laden is one.”
* * * *Prince Khaled Al-Faisal: “The only problem is the Palestinian problems.”
* * * *From Israel, brutal images dominate Saudi media. It’s an inescapable issue here and a catch-all official explanation for the motives of the 15 Saudi hijackers on September 11. So what is the official explanation for why no Palestinians were among the hijackers on September 11?
* * * *John Hockenberry: “Why didn’t they [Palestinians] fly the planes into the World Trade Center?”
* * * *Prince Khaled Al-Faisal: “Why don’t you ask Bin Laden himself?”
FROM WELL-TO-DO-FAMILIES
* * * *“Dateline” decided to speak directly with the families of the hijackers in Saudi Arabia. What we found is that when you get on the trail of terrorists in Saudi Arabia, the journey takes you through some pretty nice neighborhoods.
We went to the home of the well-to-do family of Hani Hanjour — the man believed to have flown the plane into the Pentagon on September 11. The Hanjour family is wealthy from car dealerships, selling every make from Chevrolet to Rolls Royce. Hani had money and privilege and access to a U.S. visa, but he was denied the chance to be a pilot for the Saudi national airline.
* * * *We came here to interview the family. We were told the family wanted to talk to Americans about the shocking events of September 11 — events caused in part by one of their family members.
* * * *They even gave us never-before-seen pictures of Hani, hardly images of a zealot, a snapshot he sent home from Arizona, skiing — presumably taken during a break from his pilot training in Phoenix.
* * * *When we got here though we were told the family was in too much pain, too much grief to speak to the media. Then we were told what they really wanted was money — $12,000. Twelve grand to explain why their son was part of the worst terrorist attack in history or $12,000 to deny it, we didn’t hang around to find out.
* * * *But in Kamish, Mushyat, Saudi Arabia, where it is believed five of the hijackers grew up and were recruited, we finally met Salah, a brother of Wail and Waleed Al-Shahiri, both on American Airlines Flight 11 — the first plane to hit the World Trade Center.
* * * *John Hockenberry: “Do you think that Walid, Wail, your brothers, were capable of being part of this operation?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “In my judgment, impossible. I know them, I know their behavior.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “What if it is true? What would you say?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “If that is true, we have to be realistic. And accept the tragedy.”
A FAMILY’S SHOCK
‘They were youth who grew up in a house with the best upbringing. Their behavior was very normal. There is no need to think they had crazy wild thoughts. There was nothing wrong with them. They were very normal.’
— SALAH AL-SHAHIRI
* * * *Like the Hanjours, the Al- Shahiri family is a well-to-do, hard working family. The father built a mosque as a gift to the town. It’s across the street from the home in which Walid and Wail Al-Shahiri grew up.
* * * *John Hockenberry: “You grew up in the same house with them. Who were they, as human beings? Who were they?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “They were youth who grew up in a house with the best upbringing. Their behavior was very normal. There is no need to think they had crazy wild thoughts. There was nothing wrong with them. They were very normal.”
* * * *Salah says his brother’s alienation and eventual recruitment by al-Qaeda was invisible.
* * * *John Hockenberry: “They were in their twenties. Is it possible that they were lost? Didn’t know what their future would be? Maybe frustrated?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “Regarding Wail, he was a teacher. He graduated from the university and he became a teacher, an art teacher.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “It appears that your brother found something else to do, be part of al-Qaeda.”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “I don’t know. It is very difficult to imagine that. It is difficult because the time was very short. There was not enough time for him to be trained to fly a plane. Furthermore, he didn’t know English.”
* * * *It’s a denial motivated by family pride. But scratch below the surface and you find truth.
* * * *John Hockenberry: “Do you believe they are dead, in your heart?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “For me? Yes.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “You do? You carry that around in your heart, right? That’s a terrible burden?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “As for myself, yes.”
More from Dateline
• Schedule
• Homepage
• Newsletter* * * *Salah’s truth bears no resemblance to the official line from the Saudi royals — that the hijackers were religious zealots seeking revenge for the Palestinians.
* * * *John Hockenberry: “Were your two brothers religious?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “No. Not in the way one might imagine.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “But your brothers didn’t march in the streets and work day and night to free the Palestinians? Did they?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “No.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “No. Did they talk about getting U.S. military troops out of the kingdom?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “No.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “No. So it looks like your two brothers were brainwashed.”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “Yes.”
* * * *More blindness or is it simply that no one ever asked the right questions of these people? We learned Osama bin Laden is no hero in this household.
* * * *John Hockenberry: “There is this famous video of Osama bin Laden speaking in Afghanistan talking about some people on the airplanes in New York and Washington did not even know that they were going to die — had no idea that this was a suicide mission. Is it possible that Walid and Wail were on a plane not knowing what was to happen?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “It is possible. They were still immature.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “It is possible. If so, Osama bin Laden is laughing about the death of your two brothers?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “I hated this man for along time. I hate his ideas.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “But beyond his way of thinking, he’s laughing about what might have been the murder of your two brothers.”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “He is a devil.”
* * * *Can this devil who has devastated this family and struck deep into the heart of America achieve his goal of toppling the kingdom of Saudi Arabia? Prince Turki Al-Faisal, a member of the Saudi royal family, says he’s not worried about Osama bin Laden.
* * * *Prince Turki Al-Faisal: “And every time many experts have predicted the downfall of the kingdom. When the revolution in Egypt took place the time they said there’s going to be a domino effect in the Arab world and all the kings will disappear. The kingdom did not.”
* * * *And there’s little sign the U.S.-Saudi arrangement is about to disappear anytime soon. But the jury is still out on this kingdom in the Arabian Desert. The victims of September 11 are demanding unprecedented compensation for what they say was Saudi Arabia ignoring terrorists in their midst.
* * * *In its few statements, Saudi Arabia has officially condemned the attacks on September 11 and said they are working side by side with the U.S. in the war on terror. We got something more on our journey to Saudi Arabia — a heartfelt apology to the American people from an ordinary man at the center of an extraordinary tragedy.
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “What I want to say for the American people, we are very sorry what happened in 11th September for the families, for everybody.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “After all that’s happened, can Americans and Saudis still be friends?”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “In English.”
* * * *John Hockenberry: “Do you believe it?”
* * * *Salah Al-Shahiri: “Yes. I believe it.”

* * * *Despite the Saudi assertion that it’s working “side by side” with America in the war on terror, U.S. investigators have not been able to talk to the families of the hijacking suspects as “Dateline” has done. The Saudis say they are conducting their own investigation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
This article is an excerpt from a longer report that aired on Dateline NBC.

Last edited by Kent1; 28th August 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top