Thread: Meditation
View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by becomingagodo View Post
If you search in google and type tummo and go into wikipedia and go to the bottom and click on the havard link
Well if you have read the article it shows how meditation can do things thought to be impossible in everyday science. Controlling your own body temperture and making it raise above normal temperture also decreasing your metabolic rate to 65% of your normal rate.
Any thoughts
Okay, I just read the article and couldn't find any "science." I found anecdotes, unproved claims and uninteresting "experiments" regarding drying cold, wet sheets.

Just for the heck of it, let's look at the cold, wet sheets/colder room issue. First off, the body gives off heat - in fact, the majority of body heat is radiated. So, the fact that cold, wet sheets will warm up and dry over time (indeed, a relatively short time - try it yourself without meditating!) when draped on a human body is wholly uninteresting. The fact that this takes place in a cold room doesn't do much for me, either (my living space this winter has regularly been in the 40- to 50-degrees Fahrenheit range, and my robe dries in fairly short order after a shower). In fact, all that the room being cold would do is lessen the chance of sweating, ensuring that said sweat wouldn't interfere with the drying. It also makes note that "untrained" people would experience "uncontrolled shivering" under the same conditions. That's accurate to some degree (particularly if said people were wearing no clothes and unaccustomed to cold temperatures), but controlling "shivering" isn't that difficult and the environmental temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit isn't that cold (uncomfortable, yes, but not at all dangerous), relatively speaking, especially if "wind chill" is taken out of the equation.

As far as slowing metabolism by meditation goes, this is a pretty commonly understood phenomenon which can be induced during any form of relaxation/inactivity. Have you ever noticed, for example, how cold you feel when lying down for a long period of time in a room that felt comfortably warm before doing so? Reduced activity means reduced blood circulation (part of a slower metabolism) which results in lower temperatures, especially at the extremities.

Of course, the bottom line is that the article you reference isn't a scientific study, nor does it reference any such studies demonstrating anything truly extraordinary. The only "impossible" things I see in the article are claims with no evidence.